[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I fell for the MMORPG meme again Every so often, I decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1442147949672.jpg (719 KB, 1280x660) Image search: [Google]
1442147949672.jpg
719 KB, 1280x660
>I fell for the MMORPG meme again
Every so often, I decide to give MMOs another go. This my 6th MMO and it's always the same result. Is this genre just utter shit or am I missing something?
>>
>>334566819
>Is this genre just utter shit
Yes
>>
they always end up feeling like work instead of fun, at least for me.
>>
>>334567334
Yeah. And there's no way to ever catch up to NEETs in this kinda game unless it's P2W, in which case the even bigger rich NEETs just dominate.
>>
Just give up.

The next big MMORPG will have to be completely revolutionary, which won't happen for many years if ever at all.
>>
Why do we even play MMOs? Most of these arguments boil down to

>modern MMOs are no good
>(my favorite) old MMO was the best
>Even though I enjoyed my favorite old MMO back in the day I can't grind enough to be competitive these days so it isn't fun anymore
>MMOs have shit gameplay mechanics
>They aren't worth the sub fee
>If they're F2P they aren't worth the P2W

I'm under the impression that MMORPGs all largely the same, and that whether or not you really enjoy it depends on how "rooted" you are in it. You might be really into the game world and lore, or you might have a cool guild and friends that you love playing with. Generally speaking these things take time to develop, so you probably won't enjoy any particular MMO the moment you step into it. You need to invest time in order to really start enjoying it. But you're hesitant to commit more time to it because you don't know if it'll be worth it.
>>
File: 1456727983514.png (68 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
1456727983514.png
68 KB, 421x248
>lvl 54.70
>50M in the bank
>Professional 9 fishing
>100AP/199DP
>232/183 EN/CON
>+15 gear, ogre ring and standard shit
>70/80 stones in the bank with nothing to spend them on plus 300 hunter seals and 400 memory fragments
>every day is the same shit
>contribution dailies, fishing, farming mobs and leveling a bit
>sometimes arena
>sometimes world bosses after a level and get jack shit
>failing to upgrade shit to ultimate
>slowly realizing everything is RNG BS or just tedius grinding
>will never catch up to the NEETfags who can play 16 hours a day because I work and study
>will never progress as fast as richfags with their paid asian farmers when they sleep and 9% combat exp pet advantage or whatever the fuck
I think I'm reaching that point where all the magic is fading and you can objectively see what the game is about; the point where most people just gamehop or do something else with their time. I really wanted to like BDO but the game really lives up to the Korean grindfest stereotype and PvP is super gear reliant, not to mention class balance is shit. I really hope node wars and awakening significantly improves this game for me.
>>
>>334568532
>I'm under the impression that MMORPGs all largely the same, and that whether or not you really enjoy it depends on how "rooted" you are in it. You might be really into the game world and lore, or you might have a cool guild and friends that you love playing with. Generally speaking these things take time to develop, so you probably won't enjoy any particular MMO the moment you step into it
It was the opposite for me. I burn out in 1-2 months after liking the pitch.
>>
>>334568751

I'm probably basing this very heavily on my own experiences. I liked WoW, no shit. I played Warcraft prior to WoW so I felt invested in the game world. I have friends who I played with on Private Servers (Emerald Dream and Nostalrius). On those servers I was pretty much resigned to the fact that I would never earn "Rank 14" with my play style. The "NEETs" who can play all day will always be the ones who earn that. That made me consider what I could do to have fun in the game without trying to compete with the people who would inevitably out grind me, because that's a lost cause.
>>
>>334566819
>that image
>everyone is wearing similar clothing
>ingame, total clusterfuck of designs, spikes, random colors
Its like they know what looks good, but throw it all out just to pander to kids who want to look flashy and neckbeards who want to dress like sluts for free gear
>>
>>334566819
What went wrong for you OP? Maybe if we know the problem, we can find a solution.
>>
>>334568532
Have to agree with this, I've been playing Blade & Soul and at first I wasn't sure about it, but now I have a pretty cool clan to hang out with and I've gotten ivnested in the world and story (which are surprisingly well thought out for an MMO, it's not classic literature or anything but they clearly put some effort into this and it's interesting)

This is actually the first MMO I got to max level and did endgame content with
>>
>>334570579
How much longer do you expect to play before accepting you've completed the game?
>>
>>334570707
Depends on how long it takes me to finish the gear grinding treadmill and how fast they put out new content patches

I can't say for sure that I'll still be playing in a month but that's how I am with games in general, not just MMOs, I jump between them a lot
>>
>>334570775
With new games always coming out and even all the current games available, I can only expect people will jump around. It's being completely focused on a game and never moving on to another that may be strange to me. It feels like there should be a point where people can leave because they've accomplished enough.
>>
>>334570379
Not enough ERP
>>
I find myself constantly coming back to runescape. Despite all of its flaws, it's still perfectly comfy.
>>
File: 1437101562121.jpg (305 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
1437101562121.jpg
305 KB, 1200x600
>>334566819
MMOs are now what they were, but the environment around them is different. Their secrets too easily revealed, the best builds too easily decided upon. No one really plays the games, they've become min-maxing fests.

THe only thing, in my experience, that makes them worth playing still, and then, really, is a good group of people you like playing with. This is true in almost every online game type I enjoy. It's never the game as much as the people. I like Titanquest, for instance, but I've never enjoyed it on my own as much as when I first got it along with a bunch of anons here on /v/ and we played the hell out of it through all modes together.

This is the secret of any online game, by my measure.
>>
File: 1280px-MapleStory.SVG (1).png (82 KB, 1280x495) Image search: [Google]
1280px-MapleStory.SVG (1).png
82 KB, 1280x495
>>334566819
The only legit MMO ever made was maplestory and even then it was a bit of a sham.
>>
>>334572226
This right here. The internet is the biggest enemy of MMO, ironically enough.
>>
i don't know how BDO did it but they convinced the world it was a sandbox MMO and even payed a bunch if "influencers" to perpetuate the meme.

can't they be sued for that?
>>
Give me a fun MMORPG to play, no 3D shit.
>>
>>334573017
Maplestory
>>
>>334572889
Wait what? Explain again but clearer, I can't really understand you.
>>
>>334568751
This
I think BDO is a fantastic game but I just can't bring myself to log in anymore. I am just tired of it for some reason.
>>
>>334568195
What could revolutionize MMORPGs?
I've heard community based before
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.