[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your opinion on Sonic CD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (230 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
230 KB, 1334x750
Your opinion on Sonic CD
>>
>>334549576
>Go Fast
>Go Right
>Shallow depth of gameplay masked by "muh speed".

Yep, it's a Sonic game.
>>
pinball boss is bullshit
>>
It maybe got over hyped by the few people that played it over the years, and then when everyone got access and beat up on it, it became under-appreciated. The time mechanic is good shit that heightens the game, even if it was implemented a little awkwardly.
>>
>WAAAAAH
>TELEPORTATION YEAH
>SHOOBEDOWOO YEAH
>>
Physics didn't feel good as sonic 2, 3&K, and the level design was weird and had a gimmicky feel to it. It was alright though.
>>
>>334549576
Music is great, gameplay doesn't touch S3&K.
>>
>>334549576

One of the most brilliant 2D platformers ever made, with excellent execution. Some of the levels aren't the least annoying levels ever devised, but they're all built around making time travel an increasingly difficult challenge.
>>
It was fun. I remember getting spooked at Metal Sonic and was too afraid to play after that though.

My disc came with Sonic the Screensaver though, and that shit was the best.
>>
>>334549714
there's more to it than that

stop being such a goddamn fag
>>
I really like the aesthetic and think it's one of the coolest looking sonic games

I dislike the time travel mechanic, as the level design doesn't at all compliment the concept. The level design in general drags the game down imo
>>
>>334551338
>there's more to it than that
No, there isn't.

Sonic was always shallow game. People thought Sonic going to 3D simply didn't translate well, but imo it translated perfectly....with all it's flaws now well displayed and abundantly clear.
>>
>>334549576
Quartz Quadrant and Tidal Tempest are the best levels overall.
Exploring the stages is actually pretty fun.
Sonic controls better here than any other 2D Sonic, apart from the weird-ass spindash.
US soundtrack is eh but pretty atmospheric, JP soundtrack is baller as fuck and really nails that early 90s electronic sound.
Looks gorgeous, fantastic aesthetic.

The worst thing I can say is that Wacky Workbench is a 1/10 "who fucking did this shit" level.

Overall, it's nice. Some bits of stages are way too fucking choppy for no good reason (even if there is a reason -- to break time warps before they trigger), and that hurts it a lot.

>>334549774
it really is a stupid boss
>>
I don't get why old games locked content behind puzzles and shit; why couldn't there have been a Day 1 version where you pay $10 more to unlock all the endings, art, and soundtest shit? It's a shame SEGA didn't keep making games for PC; Sonic would have been the PC mascot and consoles would be dead already.
>>
>>334549576
The level design felt like it was trying to do two things at once and wasn't able to do either well when they should've picked one and fully committed to it. I liked the time travel and exploration elements but they felt really shallow because at the end of the day it was still a standard Sonic game. But if you tried to play it as a standard Sonic game then the exploration elements get in the way.
>>
>>334550282
WHEN
YOU
FEEL
TIRED
LOOK AT YOURSELF
>>
>>334550282
In the end
>>
>>334549576
awful level design, easily the worst classic sonic game despite the godly soundtrack and looks
>>
>>334551824

Technically Sega really was ahead of the game.
>>
File: 9ab.png (105 KB, 200x284) Image search: [Google]
9ab.png
105 KB, 200x284
>>334550282
>TELEPORTATION YEAH
>ZABADOOBAPBAP
>>
>>334551713
the worst bit is, you're right but for the wrong reasons

As an example, there's nearly nothing wrong with Sonic's stages in SA1/2. They control well and are mostly well designed, other than say, Sky Deck or something.
The real flaw is how it's now more expensive and difficult to design a Sonic stage, but it'll still be over in under 5 minutes, so they padded their 3D-era games out with bullshit.
>>
>>334551901

Who's on your side?
>>
>>334552001
I think there's a difference between
>Japanese company that's only alive thanks to its overseas audience needs to have SOMETHING ready to that country's biggest consumer season

and

>Multi-million dollar project is released before playtesting because preorders have already allowed them to pay off dev costs and people are too impatient to play a game to get the full satisfaction of playing a game
>>
Some really unique bosses in CD. Not hard at all, except the pinball one which is a crapshoot.
>>
>>334553802
I honestly thought CD had the best classic bosses because they were at least unique instead of "learn the simple telegraphed movement pattern and hit the weak spot 8 times" like every other classic boss.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.