[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Sega hasn't thought of doing an open world Sonic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: newspic-61694-thumb.jpg (106 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
newspic-61694-thumb.jpg
106 KB, 1024x576
How come Sega hasn't thought of doing an open world Sonic game yet? In my opinion, I think a freeroaming environment would be absolutely perfect for a game focused so much on traversal and speed.

Grassy plains, rugged mountains, bustling cities, winding hideways; these would all be amazing places to explore while running at insane speeds.

Add some missions, some side activities (time trials being the obvious ones), maybe even some flying fortresses that work like Far Cry outposts, and bada-bing! You got yourself the groundwork for an open world Sonic game!

What do you guys think?
>>
>>334542023
they do not respect the Sonic's need to roll round at the speed of sound
>>
You're too positive for /v/, you'll get shit responses.
>>
>>334542023
open world != linear experience but in all directions

Levels don't design themselves. It's fallacious to believe if the boundaries are just extended, you sacrifice nothing in the process.
>>
OH HELL NO

current sega can barely make a linear sonic game and you want a open world one? that will need a lot of time and isnt the stile of sega to keep things on development more than a year.
>>
>>334542023
Sega is just dumb, there was more roaming and secret finding in sonic 2d games than mario bros. You could finish mario levels way faster and way more often with just holding to the right and running
>>
>>334542023
What the hell is going on with /v/ and open world lately?

I swear, its like I've seen 100 threads about how Open world games are cancer or that *insert genre/series here* should be open world.
>>
No game is open world. there are limitations
>>
I agree OP. I remember when playing Burnout paradise it seemed like it was the basis for a great 3D sonic game. High speed with the ability to turn into an action/combat game at the push of a button. I really think it would be cool if you controlled sonic more like a car, having to accelerate and break.
>>
>>334542023
It's a good idea, but modern Sega forgot how to make a decent game
>>
>>334542023
Because that sounds like it would take effort to create
>>
wouldn't there be a terrible amount of pop ups?
>>
>>334542023

Sega is inept. They don't even have plans for another Sonic game currently when they could make a fuckton off something similar to Generations. They seriously need to hire some new business advisors because whoever they currently have are obsolete and out of touch.
>>
>>334542507
>>334542310

By "open world" I simply mean a sonic game where the boundaries of where you can go are not obvious. Complete freedom is impossible. I simply think they could make a game that INVOKES the sensation of freedom.
>>
>>334542472
Resistors an underage like repetition. That's why there's been so many "save the princess" threads for the past few months and why people are still pushing the super Mario 64 half a press shit
>>
>>334542607
>>334542590
>>334542554

Yup. Sega is only a few pegs down from Kotaku.
>>
>>334542678
*Redditors and underage
>>
File: image.png (932 KB, 1253x914) Image search: [Google]
image.png
932 KB, 1253x914
>>334542678

Hey now, don't be a Henry.
>>
File: 1408806809415s.jpg (3 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
1408806809415s.jpg
3 KB, 125x93
>>334542537
This guy knows where it's at.
>>
>>334542842
No, I understand the concept and shit, but it's sad to cling to something so desperately. It's like a kid trying to play fetch with the corpse of his dead dog.
>>
>>334542661
Sonic covers a lot of ground fast. If you let him run in any direction, you'd quickly find those boundaries. It's not a bad thought anon, but I don't believe it's as simple as you are letting on.
>>
>>334542537
>Paradise
>Not a massive piece of shit compared to Revenge
>>
>>334542979
There's probably a way around it. Procedural generation, perhaps? Or maybe just make a world the size of 4 Just Cause maps.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.