[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the fx-8370 good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
according to game debate its only %2 less powerful than the i5-4690k anyone who has experience with it, is it worth it or nah?
>>
Real talk before the me meters arrive, you will regret choosing AMD cpu for games. Their install base is much smaller so their code path will often be the shittier. You know how terrible the coding is in games these days, even on intel.
>>
unless you're interested in emulation, amd is fine for gaming
>>
>>334537852
that's what i found when researching this stuff, i found some benchmarks and it showed the 8370 going 10-15 ish fps less than stuff like the 4690k im planning to overclock my cpu if its intel or amd so would that make any difference?

>>334538223
do you mean in its normal condition or overclocked because i saw some benchmarks that show it was getting less fps than 4690 like i said previously
>>
>>334538689
if an amd processor and an nvidia processor had the exact same specs and the exact same performance in a normal game, the AMD would still be shittier at emulation
that's just a rule of thumb
>>
>>334538824
sorry i should have specified. i dont plan on emulating anything i was just wondering
>>
>>334538689

With a 4690k you will have exactly zero reasons to overclock for several years and can get yourself an inexpensive air cooler.

With the 8370 you'll need to OC out of the box to stay competitive, and the cost of either a high-end air cooler of AIO water cooler will drive your overall cost up considerably (although still probably won't cost as much).

AMD cpus aren't outright terrible but I always go Intel for peace of mind that I won't have compatibility issues with 99% of anything I could want to do with it.
>>
>>334539020
ah, ok. ill keep that in mind, also a bit of sidetracking here if i were to get intel should i get 3690k or 6700k?
>>
>>334535982
One thing to note is that AMD has 8 cores, but each of them will always be worse than an Intel processor. Check single core performance against the 4690k. Games rarely make full use of all cores, much less 8 of them so it's almost pointless.

There's a lot more to CPUs than just 'power'.
>>
>>334539196
I can't find anything on google about a 3690k. You should probably be buying new anyway so you get a warranty. Bear in mind that the 6700k doesn't come with a stock cooler so you'll have to buy one separate.
>>
>>334539748
so basically if a fair bit of the programs i run are single threaded or dont make much use of other cores i should get an intel? is there a way to find out if a program can use multiple cores?
>>
>>334540046
Generally it's safe to assume it doesn't make use of multiple cores. I'd always get an Intel in that case.

The only real time I would recommend AMD is if you're trying to make an underbudget PC. You can make a fair PC with the A10-7870K by itself, for example. But it won't be amazing.
>>
>>334540046
generally games released prior to the current gen of consoles use only 1-2 cores. There are exceptions and newer games are utilising more cores but I'm not sure how much that affects performance in games. I'm sure there's a linus tech tips video about it. Intel is still your best bet imo.
>>
>>334539196

Skylake is extra expense for negligible extra performance in games, all appreciable performance gains over Haswell are productivity oriented and generally overstated to make sales.

The Haswell refresh (4690/4790) arch is the best bet for an Intel-based for a gaming rig unless they've been cranking up the prices to drive people to Skylake. Haven't browsed the market lately so I can't say but last I checked it was $220 for 4690k and $320 for 4790k, roughly.
>>
>>334540037
that was a typo i meant 4690k
>>
>>334540364
>>334540524
alright that sounds good and yeah i think im gonna go with intel im not really on a budget

>>334540694
yeah those numbers are about right they just added $20 bucks to it. i was thinking about getting them used for the price decrease and the fact that i was planning to over clock them but i think ill just buy them new since for most programs it seems intel should run fine without oc so ill just get the gpu used
>>
>>334540364
is the R7 on A10 is on par with 240?
>>
I have always stuck to intel for CPU and AMD for GPU. Just make sure you get the k intel to overclock it and you be set for years as CPUS are starting to plateau with regards to power I doubt games will tax them too much.
>>
>>334541479
On par with a 250, actually. You can buy one and crossfire them with the chip's GPU.
>>
Well amd uses intel cpus for benchmarks so yea..

I wouldn't go amd cpu until zen and even then you'd have to do research on it

But their gpus are great
>>
File: 1438035411449.jpg (2 MB, 4380x2968) Image search: [Google]
1438035411449.jpg
2 MB, 4380x2968
>>334540046

Developers are gradually getting smarter about utilizing threading and multi-core processing, but we're still at a point where when it happens, it's the exception, not the rule. Strong individual core performance is a smart quality to look for in a gaming CPU if you want to cover as many bases as possible.

An 8-core CPU will benefit someone who uses productivity software that's designed to utilize all of them, for example software for video rendering, audio processing, coding etc. Unfortunately, it's pretty common for a game to max out 1 core and put the overflow on other cores, rather than dividing it all up evenly for parallel processing. This is where weaker individual core performance gets easily stressed.

I don't believe it's fair to AMD or even necessarily ethical for the majority of software to favor Intel so heavily, just like so many games are better optimized to run on Nvidia architecture than AMD cards. But you dropping a few hundred dollars on team red isn't going to change the ecosystem overnight, and while you're waiting for your support make a difference, in the meantime you've got a processor that doesn't get a lot of love from your average program.
>>
>>334541780
I don't think it's a matter of preferring intel, it's just more difficult to do so they don't bother.

Remember software engineers are just as lazy as us.
>>
>>334541576
>>334541665
huh i was always under the impression nvidia was was better as a gpu i was planning on getting the msi 970 or the 980 i had a couple people recommend i get the 390 tho. which one is better?
>>
I buy amd because intel has had nsa backdoors since sandy bridge. fucking bootlickers.
>>
>>334541780
i personally dont have a preference as im fairly new to pc hardware and pc building but basically what you said is what i keep reading intel is better for things such as gaming while amd is better for productive software/tasks such as coding or video editing i personally plan on doing both gaming and c++ coding but as i said before i think will go with intel since i can handle the disadvantages that come with the coding side of things
>>
>>334542072

Amd 390 is the around the same as the 970 and sometimes better in dx12 yet it's like $100 cheaper. I then use that money saved to get my CPU. I'd wait until summer as amd are going to be announcing new cards that are going to be a big leap in GPUs so worth the wait to see how it goes.
>>
>>334542438
kek. but yeah from what i read amd now has them as well and they had them since abut 2013 and intel had that since 2009, honestly i don't give a fuck its not like you can actually escape the nsa let's be real here so if they really wanna see me sitting on my ass playing some video games or me jerking off more power to them

>>334542538
true true i was thinking about waiting but honestly having to use this 1.5ghz laptop is killing me its horribly slow for gaming or coding or what ever
>>
>>334542072

As a rule of thumb, AMD makes cards with a bit more raw computational power than competing Nvidia cards, but Nvidia tends to be much better supported (if you want to get political, the reasons behind Nvidia's overwhelming support are pretty sketchy and corrupt, but to the end user it really doesn't matter).

In games where both cards get an equal amount of love, Nvidia and AMD trade blows over small FPS fluctuations. For most games, however, Nvidia tends to perform better because they're in bed with the developers more often than not.

You might feel dirty for supporting shady practices (which, realistically, every corporation does on some level, even underdog AMD) as the method of gaining an edge, but if all you want is a card that runs well on just about every game out there, Nvidia encounters fewer bumpy rides on the whole.

That said, nobody really regrets getting an AMD card, they're fantastic. It's just that you can expect to be frustrated semi-frequently by the preferential treatment Nvidia cards.

For reference, my tower is a Jew Sled Supreme with an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU because, all politics aside, I just wanted to put it together and need as little maintenance and workarounds as possible. If your principles, preferences, or whatever lead you to a different build, then just worry about getting a solid price-performance ratio on your parts and only worry about compatibility when it actually becomes an issue.
>>
>>334542438
what could the nsa do by hacking into my cpu? just fuck up my computer?

is that something they really do?
>>
>>334542538
i also forgot to mention but the 390 is more expensive than the 970. 390 is $370 amd the 970 varies from $320 to $370 but from the benchmarks it seems the 390 is better so ill get that one
>>
>>334542980
>4chan
>principles
nice one. but from what i've seen the 390 can very well compete with the 970 sometimes even the 980 but it does seem like the majority of amd cards do struggle

>>334543149
your cpu literally does everything on you're computer man cmon. i don't know what the nsa does do with the cpu but they can track pretty much everything you do. i think i even read once that they have full remote access to your pc and you're webcam etc but that could just be paranoia i don't think there's any evidence to support that
>>
>>334543235

Don't know what it's like in America but here in uk it's around £100 difference for the two from the good manufactures. I'd recommend asus as their warranty/build quality is really good.
>>
>>334540046
There are a lot of games that are limited to one or two cores. Don't get AMD CPUs. They always do worse in those games.
>>
>>334543808
that's interesting i thought msi had better performance so i was gonna buy that. is that true?
>>
>>334544047
>>334543808

I've used Asus coolers on Nvidia cards for years and loved each one.

But I've heard that the Asus AMD coolers are recycled from Nvidia cards and are sub-optimal compared to other options that create coolers expressly for the specific AMD card in question.

I can't speak from experience, but that's the scuttlebutt. If you're interested in an AMD cards give everything else a fair look before settling on Asus.

As far as performance disparity, the only difference is how much cooling is provided. One card having a higher factory overclock is just marketing dogshit, it's the same GPU and they all come with piss-easy OC software. How much you can overclock is limited by thermal displacement so you want the one that cools the most efficiently, not the one with the highest out-of-the-box core clock.
>>
>>334544618
alright that makes sense. but i wasn't talking about their out of the box clock speed i was talking about their actual performance. there is a difference between manufacturers, tho it is a very small difference its only about a 1% performance increase/decrease
>>
>>334544047

The cards are all the same except for the fan design and clock speeds. You can oc them yourself so it's not much in it. That why I go for other things like warranty build quality. MSI are not bad, I'd watch some reviews of different brands, shop around.
>>
>>334545913
see
>>334545280
>>
Should I buy a 290x or a 970 for my 8320
>>
>>334535982
Do you want to play anything that's cpu heavy and doesn't support multiple cores (aka everything that's cpu heavy)? Go intel. You're gonna have a bad time if you try to play something like a heavily modded STALKER on AMD.
>>
>>334541780
>ethical

To get the best performance out of a CPU you need to write a program that takes advantage of its strengths and works around the weaknesses. This has to be done no matter who made the processor! Intel is not paying developers for this; they are simply doing their job. Why is it unethical for them to prioritize the most common and best platform? What fucking ethics are you talking about?

The market has stagnated pretty much because there is no competition for Intel - no one has been able to match the Core series - so they can essentially bank their ten years of extra R&D at the patent office and wait
>>
>>334546574
yeah i am actually im planning on playing games such as csgo and dota 2 and many new games such as the division, paragon and no mans sky
>>
>>334546648
>intel is not paying developers for this

A metric ton of antitrust suits say otherwise.
>>
>>334547123
lol what game developer have they given a cent to
>>
>>334547456

Game developers are chump change compared to the shit they've been up to.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-loses-fight-against-eur1bn-eu-antitrust-fine/
>>
>>334548759
well fuck I would do that too if I was Intel. We were talking about the ethics of "the majority of software" devs, none of whom get Intel's money.
>>
>>334544047
Sapphire does the best coolers for AMD, for personal experience I can say they run more cool and way more silent
>>
>>334551024
good to know. would also explain why many builds i've seen use sapphire
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.