[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say this is one of the greatest games of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: 0980294.jpg (1 MB, 4005x2250) Image search: [Google]
0980294.jpg
1 MB, 4005x2250
Why do people say this is one of the greatest games of all time? I recently got it for the 3ds since I never owned an N64 and I wanted to finally play this game and I am so fucking disappointed its unreal.

I seriously want to know why people think this game is so good, I cant believe how hidden everything is and how nearly impossible the game is without a guide. I just got to the fire temple and have no desire at all to keep playing.

All this hidden and cryptic shit, I mean I don't want hand holding but on my first time how am I suppose to know about the scarecrow without a guide? Or where to use him to reach certain areas? I know this feels like a rant but all the praise I've heard for this game I feel like its just people having on nostalgic glasses, and Im not even at the water temple yet.
>>
You're right. OoT is the absolute king "nostalgia goggles" game. It wasn't good in the 90's and it sure as hell isn't good now. If you're hating it just stop playing, it really isn't going to get any better.
>>
>>334510140
The scarecrow is entirely optional. He's just for secrets so it makes sense that he is hidden.
>>
>>334510140
Welcome to /v/, here's your "I fit in now" card
>>
>>334510392
But don't you need it to get stuff like gold skulls to get better equipment that you need later in the game?
>>
>>334510631
No
>>
>>334510140
git gud
>>
>>334510631
You need him for gold skulltulas but you don't need skulltulas for anything to beat the game and the most essential quality of life upgrades from skulltulas are the first few that you'll get to without going out of your way all that much.
>>
>>334510723
Then he is fucking stupid so you finish a bunch of dungeons then find out about him and go back to the dungeons and search for hidden spots to use him? To get what then rupees and arrows?
>>
>>334510140
You had to live it OP. It was a new epoch of gaming when that came out.

>>shooting arrows into the sun. CHILLS
>>
>>334511004
You get skulltulas and heart pieces and stuff like that in most of his spots I think. It's something to do if you enjoy the exploration since the entire game is fairly easy even if you never find a heart piece.
>>
>>334510631
You don't need any of the skulltula rewards to beat the game. Also the last reward that isn't just money is earned at 50 tokens. There's 100 in the game so you don't even need the scarecrow's song for that.

>>334511004
At least one heart piece requires the song, and it lets you do a few things early. But if you want to be a boring cunt who doesn't want secrets in your games, then sure, go ahead.
>>
>>334511037
That's what I'm getting from the game, its like mgs1 which is made 100x better if you played it when it came out.
>>
>>334510631
>need
Nigga you can beat OoT comfortably without ever going out of your way to get extra shit.

Nevertheless, I agree that the scarecrow grapple points are really unusual and personally I didn't know what it meant when Navi drew attention to certain places until I read about it.
>>
>>334511198
>>334511037
I played Ocarina of Time in 2010 or so and Metal Gear Solid last year and I thought both were very good. Metal Gear Solid was kinda clunky I guess but the story and atmosphere saved it.
>>
>the game is nearly impossible without a guide

I refuse to believe you're being serious. I beat this shit when I was 7 without a guide or anything. This has to be some sort of subtle bait.

I'm not sure what your complaint is. The dungeons are literally meant to be puzzles so by nature you have to work them out. Yeah there are secrets hidden around the world but absolutely none of them are required to beat the game and you can get 95% of the powerups without even trying.

I can accept you not thinking the game is great or that you don't like thr genre but I can't comprehend what your basis for hating it is.
>>
>>334511198
I watched my brother and sister play OoT before I did when I was around 4, before I could read, so I basically copied what they did. Wish I figured everything out on my own.
>>
It's fine not liking it, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as its predecessor in Zelda 3 nor the concurrent 3d jumps from other series (Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, etc).
inb4
>you got the 3ds version? haha what a pleb, he doesn't take issue with abysmal framerates
>lol you're UNDERAGE for not sharing the opinion of the nostaliga-blinded hivemind
>get gud xDD
>>
>>334510140
You are too underage
>>
>>334511190
See the secrets don't bother me its the "o you missed something small now you have to back track to get it then come back" with no hints at all that drives me crazy. I was in the fire temple and looked up a video and the guy used the scarecrow to get to the top floor. Im like well fuck me I didn't know there was a scarecrow at the lake, now I have to back track to get him and then to find out you don't really need him.

I hate missing stuff in games so I try to do side quests and everything as they come up but this game is just making it not fun at all. Like you can get that wind song to make a warp in a dungeon and I missed it, its nice to have but do I really run all the way back to get it.
>>
>>334510140
Are you me? I recently got it for the 3DS too and have no desire to go back to it. Can't even remember exactly where I left off. Impa's village at night or something.

Maybe playing it on the 3DS itself is killing my experience...

I did enjoy A Link Between Worlds though
>>
>>334511796
Holy shit what are you even talking about
this has got to be the stupidest excuse for not liking this game I've seen yet
Maybe if you stopped using guides for everything you'd see that everything is pretty much straightforward as fuck, you DO NOT need the scarecrow to enjoy, play, or beat the game.
>>
>>334511573
Ok I get that but I enjoy doing side quests and having everything in the game up to that point and in order to do that is seems like so much bull shit, plant beans as a kid then return as an adult. All that is killing my desire to play as they don't tell you what you need or what you don't need till later in the game. Like the skulls give you a bigger wallet so now im searching for them to see what else the guy gives me and its just not that much fun.
>>
I'm surprised at how genuine these parts are. Pretty good bait but I still don't believe it.
>>
>>334512062
But I feel like im missing stuff are you saying that all that optional stuff like the scarecrow, growing beans, doing the skulls, the shooting range are all things you don't need and it doesn't matter at all if I get them?
>>
Zelda was always a series where you either explored the world for hours on end, asked your friends what to do or bought a strategy guide.
People loved that aspect of Zelda and many other games of the time. This is lost on the generation with high speed internet, because nobody asks his friends what to do when you can find a walkthrough online with barely any effort.
>>
>>334512294
No it really doesn't.
>>
>>334512508
Wow I got the 15 gold skulls and he gave me a bigger wallet which you need to buy things so I assumed that stuff like that was obtained by doing the hidden stuff. Is that the only important thing you need by doing the skulls? Do I even need to be looking for any more of them?
>>
>>334512890
You don't need the big wallet. Whatever you need to progress will be given to you for free at some point in the game.
>>
>>334510140
I agree that it's lately praised a lot (a few years ago the general consensus on here was that it's not even the best N64 zelda)

Your reason for hating it is stupid though. Just because you're a perfectionist and can't 100% it without a guide doesn't make it bad.
10 year olds could beat it just fine back in the 90s.
> how am I suppose to know about the scarecrow without a guide?
"exploring" checking out every bit of the world the devs spent so much time creating.
> I don't want hand holding
the rest of your post says otherwise
>>
>>334512890
You don't need to. You can beat the game with a 99 rupee wallet. Rupees are basically useless except for the Biggoron sword and maybe if you lose a tunic
>>
Is anyone watching the Game Grumps playthrough of this shit? it is infuriating
>>
It, Mario 64, and StarFox 64 are the most nonlinear 3D games ever made, and all set quality standards in their genre that have yet to be toppled by games after.

The reason OoT gets so much attention is the brand.

Zelda is just cooler than a jumping plumber and talking fox.

But they all deserve to be called GOAT.
>>
>>334510140
You know what is really fucking bugging me about this "BUT THE GAME DIDN"T TELL ME I COULD DO THAT" shit is that games used to come with little instruction manuals that could clue you in on how things worked or what could be done. Games have tutorials now because they no longer have these books, but nobody fucking reads those.
>>
File: 3kj4iDZv.jpg (99 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
3kj4iDZv.jpg
99 KB, 1024x1024
>>334513257
>watching game grumps
>>
>>334511796
It's not a very big game... just go to each area during the day and at night as an adult and a child. Play with the sound up so you can hear the spiders.

Seriously, just pay attention to any blue text you read...
>>
>>334510140
git gud scrub
beat this game back in 1998 when it came out, without a guide. It's all about adventure and exploring, finding secrets and such...what the hell is your problem man..you mus suck at life
>>
Thank you guys for clarifying things for me. The way I like to play games like this is before I enter something like the fire temple I like to have everything the game has made available to me so far. Its like an OCD thing I have with games like this (the last one I played was Ni No Kuni and I did every side quest as it came before doing the next big mission) So I was trying to do that with this game.

But since you guys pointed out that you don't need that stuff and I don't need to worry about reaching a spot in a dungeon and not having some item I need I think ill enjoy the game more then I have been.
>>
I do agree that this game is severely overrated, but if your primary complaint is that it's too difficult you're just bad at videogames.
>>
>>334513610
Read >>334513954
>>
>>334513970
No its my bad I thought you would need the hidden stuff to progress though the game, like I would hit a spot where you need to buy something and I wouldn't have a big enough wallet or something but i've been told thats not the case. Nothing you need is hidden so /v/ served its purpose and actually helped me
>>
>>334510140
It's an ok game, I don't understand why it is considered the best game of all time though.
>>
>>334513257
Get out.
>>
>>334514263
I think the only thing that could possibly happen to get you stuck like that would be if a like like ate the goron tunic before you finished the fire temple and you didn't kill it to get it back since they cost 200 rupees.
>>
>>334510140

>All this hidden and cryptic shit

I have a lot of problems with OoT, but this isn't one of them. You are just a casual
>>
it's a game for children
>>
>>334510140
Nostalgia, respect for its historical value and overrating in general.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.