[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Episodic Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: why.jpg (52 KB, 840x420) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
52 KB, 840x420
How do you feel about episodic games?
>>
Awful. Alan Wake isn't though. Why is that there? It was released as a complete product.
>>
It's nice to have less stuff encumbering my back log, I'm constantly behind on games and when I see "episodic" I don't even add it to my list of games to consider
>>
File: new trend.jpg (78 KB, 747x309) Image search: [Google]
new trend.jpg
78 KB, 747x309
Also, why is this a trend now?
We all know that it is for making tons o monis, but would this type of thing bring some new "progress" to the industry?

The things I see about it:
PROS
-It could let developers make a GREAT FUCKING GOOD parts/chapters of the games, since they would only focus on single or just some chapters of the game

-It would be possible to make something that "glues" all the parts together (if this is even possible today), making all the episodes a whole game.

-Developers could focus on different types of gameplay on different chapters.

CONS
-It would take 2 fucking years to reach to the end of the history, depending on the level of development they would put in each chapter/part.

-If the late chapters don't sell well, there's a risk developers would drop it, leaving us with no proper ending.

-It fucking sucks to pay full price for a game divided in 6.
>>
>>334509828
Alan Wake?
isn't a episodic game
>>
I've never had a good experience with an episodic game I've had to wait for.
>>
Episodic games should only be tolerable if each episode is a full-length game, and each sequel is directly continuing the narrative.

But nobody's doing that because customers are fine with paying full price for one game being severed for the thrill of cliffhangers.
>>
>>334509828
Alan Wake had ingame chapters. It wasn't episodic.
>>
>>334510591
>If the late chapters don't sell well, there's a risk developers would drop it, leaving us with no proper ending.

that's how most tv shows go these days
>>
>>334510591
All of those were by the same developer. That's not a trend so much as a developer that found a niche that works really well for licensed IPs.

It's safe.
>>
>>334511012
>>334509991
I did not make the pic.
I guess they put it together because Alan Wake 1 didn't have a closure.
It would continue in Alan Wake 2 wich sadly didn't release until now
>>
Only one I tried was D4.
Played for roughly an hour then stopped. Not sure why exactly, might be the controls. Felt like it was a mobile game ported to PC.
>>
File: B5MhNHQCEAASZkD.jpg (89 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
B5MhNHQCEAASZkD.jpg
89 KB, 600x800
>>334509828
One time purchase, its alright. But its like pre-ordering a game that is not done yet. While I enjoyed Tell-tales Walking Dead and Back to the Future games it sucked waiting for the episodes to come out

If each episode costs something then its just a cash grab because the company knows they can milk a fanbase. FF7Remake and Resident Evil come to mind
>>
>>334511815
Yeah, but isn't FF VII remake will be episodic?
>>
>>334512049
Also, Resident Evil, like >>334512026 said
>>
hate it, feels like I'm watching TV and paying per episode.
fuck that I'd rather pay for a season.
>>
>>334511012
>>334509991
My guess is this >>334511642
The different chapters in Alan Wake are called episodes (+ 2 DLC episodes), so my guess is the person who made the image, just googled episodic games without actually playing them

I kinda like the story/episode structure, but most games take too long between episodes to be really interesting, so a lot of people wait until the last one is released to play the full game. I feel like publishers should focus more on doing like 90% of the work for each episode before releasing the first one and then apply the finishing touches between releases.
>>
>>334512049
In the same way that the "Lightning Farron Saga" was supposed to be 7 games.

FF7 remake is being done in episodes, but they're full length multi-year multi-studio endeavors.

Well, in theory. SE will probably cheap out and underdeliver.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.