[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever tried introducing someone to video games? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: snatcher sega cd.gif (23 KB, 381x237) Image search: [Google]
snatcher sega cd.gif
23 KB, 381x237
Have you ever tried introducing someone to video games?

What did you show them? How did it go?

recommend me some good starter titles
>>
my mother, with plants vs zombies 1, she still cannot stand even 1 minute of playing videogames, at least I tried
>>
>try introducing my girlfriend with mario
>"I want something harder. Im not a little kid anymore"
>Give her Doom with gamepad
>She dies once without trying
>"Okay your turn."

I fucking hate girls like this. Makes me wish I had one of my exes back because she used to love Mario
>>
Reminds me of the contract 3 boss.
>>
>>334495806
*Contra
Fucking autocorrect.
>>
Relatedly to this thread, my nephew that I hoped would never touch video games seems to be playing Plants and Zombies.

Since he's already tainted, what do I recommend him at seven years of age that is not shit?
>>
Animal Crossing

bitches love Animal Crossing
>>
I introduced my gf to games with Dead space of all things.
She got through it, but I was a pretty shitty backseat driver through the whole game, and she got a little pussed because of it.
Since then she's played Bioshock 1, 2 and shitfinite, Alan Wake, Resident evil 4 and 5, the last of us(her favorite game) and right now we're playing DK tropical freeze. She also has a Mario kart obsession.

All in all I'd say it has gone pretty damn well.
>>
File: reloading everything.gif (225 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
reloading everything.gif
225 KB, 320x200
>>334495395
Telltale's walking dead season 1 is the very fist I've shown my mother, she loved the hell out of it.

Showed therapist Stanley parable, same reaction.

Try to start with concepts that they already like, at first you may need to do the controls for them but be encouraging to let them do it. Think arcadey or very slow paced so they can learn controls without too much frustration.
>>
>>334495395
Is there anyway to player Snatcher today?
>>
>>334497460
I may start off playing some old adventure games. I never played Grim Fandango or Monkey Island, for example, so I think it would be good to play together. Then maybe I'll try introducing her to metroidvanias. They'd be a challenge but are a good example of level-design and gear progression and whatnot.

There are a lot of thought processes and reactions that come naturally after playing video games for years. Sometimes I forget people who don't play games don't have the same ingrained reflexes/thought patterns.
>>
>>334497847
It's probably on abandonia. iirc you need dosbox to run it though
>>
>>334495676
Has your gf played games before? Mine has never even touched one and i'm not sure if i should try getting her into something
I dont have consoles so no mario
>>
File: image.png (105 KB, 205x232) Image search: [Google]
image.png
105 KB, 205x232
>>334495580
I tried showing my parents vidya for years. I tried getting them into things like Halo, Need for Speed, Persona, and War Thunder, but they didn't even want to watch for more than they had to. Then I explained Life is Strange to them, and now that I've shown it to them they actually ask me to put it on for them. Of course they can't even walk in a straight line in the game so they just tell me what to do.
>>
>>334498208
I wonder if we become like that when some new entertainment arises
>>
>>334499082
That's probably what happened, and it has to be human nature. Vidya was a foreign concept to the people who grew up with TV, operas, plays, books and newspaper. That's why vidya on mass scale across the US was never taken seriously, treated like a toy on the news and parents only limited "screen time" instead if most or all of the aforementioned forms of entertainment. They clung to the idea video games were bad for people because they didn't like it. Even though that was never proven, they still don't give it a chance.
>>
>>334495395
showed mother bioshock 1 and she was completely amazed by it and had to play it through

it wore off on bioshock 2, though
>>
>>334497847
Use a sega CD emulator, works like a charm.
>>
>>334501616
>it wore off on bioshock 2, though
For a more casual player it's the same fucking game so no wonder
>>
File: rolw.jpg (38 KB, 706x476) Image search: [Google]
rolw.jpg
38 KB, 706x476
>>334495395
If it's a dude: something with simple controls and a mature concept. Left 4 Dead comes to mind as something easily playable by newcomers.

If it's a chick: just walk away. That is a losing battle. The moment you try to teach them how to play they will give up, say it's too hard, and hate on your hobby until your relationship inevitably crumbles.
>>
>>334501867
Minerva's Den was pretty fantastic though.
>>
>>334495395
My mom with Final Fantasy III on the SNES
Don't judge me, i were like 10 years old and thought she could handle RPGs because they were simple and only required strategy
>>
My gf is into to games on her own. HOWEVER watching her play is so fucking painful. Chick has 0 strategy
>>
Ok, does anyone know if snatchers aviable for PSX or any good emulator.
never seen bladerunner.
but damned tempted to play this!

Side question what other games on the Pg engine would you reckomend?!?
>>
>>334495395
Used to play Twilight Princess with Mom back in 2009, she loved it, she doesn't like Wind Waker purely for the cartoon artstyle.

Lately we tried playing Yoshi's Woolly World, which is a pretty comfy and simple game, of course letting us go at her pace so she could explore and not at my pace which is usually "Get through the level as fast as possible"
>>
My brother (12) got his first laptop recently and it was actually fun going through my Steam library and testing the waters on a bunch of different genres.
had him play:
>Binding of Issac
>Hotline Miami
>Portal
>Left 4 Dead
>Skyrim
>Metal Slug 3
>TF2
>Shovel Knight
>Civ V
>Bioshock
>Terraria

Seemed to lean more towards FPS games like TF2, L4D and Bioshock, unsurprisingly. Although he did show a surprising interest in puzzle games which was refreshing. He really liked Portal. didn't like Terraria and Skyrim seemed a little too overwhelming with all the RPG elements.
Got bored with Civ and BoI was hard for him so he didn't enjoy it.

Had fun introducing someone to videogames.
>>
My mom used to play Gradius with me on Genesis, but was never good at it. She never liked video games.

Years later me and my brother got her to play THPS4 for a bit. It took her like ten minutes to figure out how to ollie. After hours of playing, she never learned anything past that.
>>
>>334503597
>Skyrim seemed a little too overwhelming with all the RPG elements
Hot damn
>>
>>334506762
Keep in mind what this thread is about. I'm introducing a 12 year old with 0 videogame experience. I know it seems silly and trivial to you and I but everything was a brand new experience to him.
>>
File: 1449517612306.jpg (93 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
1449517612306.jpg
93 KB, 576x384
>Introduced childhood friend to vidya
>he's now a normie Chad who I haven't spoken to in years

>introduced sister to vidya
>she's now a tumblrina slash fanfiction writer
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.