[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this shit overpraised was it the story?because the b
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: FF7logo.jpg (33 KB, 648x340) Image search: [Google]
FF7logo.jpg
33 KB, 648x340
Why was this shit overpraised was it the story?because the battle system was brain dead easy and streamline to hell,why did Square dumb down the job system from previous FF games,it's like they to try to homogenized FFIII and FF V job system with the Materia System.

Instead of starting off and choosing the Job you want you are force with the character they give you, and the only changes being if you want some one as white mage or a red mage.So yeah they remove all 22 jobs in favor for a more of the streamline Materia system that virtually makes everyone the same,and I love how they try to balance it in the most laziest way possible by lowering Attacks or other stats for certain materia because you couldn't choose a job from the get go and is force to play as a warrior and gunner,

Not to mention the battle was broken as shit,seriously this is what gets praised for greatest game of all time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At1-oFqawvc not to mention w item glitch vincents mug glitch,and the infinite by spamming mime counter glitch.And you people have to nerve to shit on X-2's and 12'sIZJS system where they played more like traditional FF games than FF 7 and 6 ever did
>>
>>334483197
>why did Square dumb down the job system from previous FF games
what
just use whatever job based materia on whatever character you want. You don't have to give everybody Restore-All, you know?
Its a MASSIVE step up from VI, at leadt.
>>
File: 1377363144588.jpg (175 KB, 317x699) Image search: [Google]
1377363144588.jpg
175 KB, 317x699
>>
>>334483470
It's not all about magic,what if I didn't want cloud as a warrior,or yuffie as a thief,why couldn't I choose they're abilities from the get go,also the materia system didn't have that much variety like the job system,so no matter how hard you try to make everyone different they just ended up playing the same because they remove the original 22 job systems.
>>334483860
Nice argument fag
>>
>>334484306
I agree with you for the most part, to be honest. My suggestion is naught more than a band-aid over a pretty poorly implemented system. The good news, however, is that the PC version exists, and so do programs like Wall Market and Proud Clod.
Download them and tweak your shit to your hearts extent. Giving all Black/White magic materia the same stat bonuses/penalties as the really strong stuff is nice, for example. Makes your mages physically feeble, but magically potent.
Giving Enemy Skill the same bonuses/penalties as KOTR is nice, too.
Just examples.
>>
>>334483197
>Why was this shit overpraised
Because 1997 was a different era.
>Why is this shit overpraised
Wageslave adults clinging to nostalgia, hipster teens parroting after them and populist reviewers trying to pander to both for page hits
>>
>>334484881
>and so do programs like Wall Market and Proud Clod.
Oh so it makes a warrior mage more viable and not completely broken I never heard of this,but I'll check it out.

Also I know Square will use the Materia system for the remake,but what are the chances of them reworking materia system since they're re doing the entire battle system,hopefully they'll add an more in depth system the original.
>>
>>334485026
>hipster teens parroting after them and populist reviewers trying to pander to both for page hits
This might of been true in 2007 though 2010 when it was cool to hate FF7 because of the movie and secondaries ,but now that the remake is happening everyone is Praising the original FF 7
>>
>>334485562
It was true for the last 15 years of not more. Though before hipster teens there were deviantart teens praising it (the XDaRkSePhIrOtHX type), which are technically the same thing anyway.
>>
>>334485026
cool it with the buzzwords god damn
>>
>>334483197
>muh Jobs
>>
>>334485026
you're an oblivious dumbass who has totally embarrassed yourself with this post.

delete before others see it and assume /v/ really is getting stupider.
>>
>>334485890
>hipster teens there were deviantart teens praising it (the XDaRkSePhIrOtHX type)
I kind of miss those Gaia fags now it's all about 420 smoke dank weed everday,maybe the remake will bring a new generation of Gaia fags
>>334486067
Muh Materia
>>
>>334486180
Get this hothead outta here
>>
Still better than ix by a long shot.
>>
>>334487235
OH BOY
HERE
WE
GO
I agree, though.
>>
>>334487235
Haven't played 9 buts what wrong it,all I hear is that the battle system is slow
>>
>>334484306
>what if I didn't want cloud as a warrior,or yuffie as a thief
Then don't? you can make Barret a mage and Cait Sith your physical tank if you desire it
>why couldn't I choose they're abilities from the get go
You mean you wanted every single character to come loaded with materia? like Yuffie to come with gil toss at level 15? or
>the materia system didn't have that much variety like the job system
I don't know what you mean. the materia system is one of the most customizable and open ended systems in the series
>no matter how hard you try to make everyone different they just ended up playing the same because they remove the original 22 job systems.
What do jobs have to do with this? if you want them different then just load them differently. what's stopping you?
>>
>>334487515
>Then don't? you can make Barret a mage and Cait Sith your physical tank if you desire it
Barret has shit MP scaling the devs were counting on him to be a gunner at best,the enemy skill is best use with him.
>You mean you wanted every single character to come loaded with materia? like Yuffie to come with gil toss at level 15? or
More like they're abilities like choosing cloud to be a thief or gunner,rather than having different magic abilities from others
>I don't know what you mean. the materia system is one of the most customizable and open ended systems in the series
If everyone can be the same why limit yourself to just one ability,everyone can be mages,and everyone can be healers.Not to mention the materia system doesn't allow you to upgrade on you're abilites you have to find them yourself which just makes the materia useless.And if we can compare to the materia system to FF III jobs system,than the materia system would only make for 4 jobs,while FF III has a total of 22 jobs.
>What do jobs have to do with this? if you want them different then just load them differently. what's stopping you?
Maybe I don't want to handicap myself and just using what the game offers me.
>>
>>334488609
>Barret has shit MP scaling
Give him the mp plus materia
>choosing cloud to be a thief or gunner
Give him steal materia for thief and long range materia in order to make him attack from the back row with full power like a gunner and then give them abilities you think they should have
>If everyone can be the same why limit yourself to just one ability
So you can make use their strengths instead of making everyone a jack of all trades
>the materia system doesn't allow you to upgrade on you're abilites
False. you level up the materias and they give you access to more abilities or spells
>you have to find them yourself which just makes the materia useless
How does that make them useless? you also buy them in towns the same way that you would in other FF games and others you have to find them because they are rarer or more powerful abilities
>than the materia system would only make for 4 jobs,while FF III has a total of 22 jobs.
The thing about Materia is that you are not limited by jobs, you can do whatever you want
>>
If you really want to know why it was praised, you should face the facts. It's useless to talk about the previous games and their systems, since nobody played them. In a vacuum VII was vast, beautiful, extremely customizable, emotional, fun and most importantly of all, intuitive. The rest is historical momentum.
>>
>>334483197
Basically because it was the first RPG for alot of people and the playstation was really popular.
In addition the game doesn't have any super obvious flaws other than it's shitty overworld models, which were redeemed by it's great (at the time) battle models.

In other words it grabbed all the casuals and the children and the biggest reason it gets a ton of praise nowadays is nostalgia. Not a bad game though, just very overrated.
>>
>>334490136
>Give him steal materia for thief and long range materia in order to make him attack from the back row with full power like a gunner and then give them abilities you think they should have
Again what is scaling,Yuffie would be alot better at it because they made her a fucking thief instead of allowing me to choose her job.
>So you can make use their strengths instead of making everyone a jack of all trades
Making them the jack of all trades is better than using the abilities that they were design for.Seriously allowing Cloud,Yuffie,Cid all use summons and equip them the master materia is better than limiting them this is a bad design choice if I have to force myself to make the game harder
>False. you level up the materias and they give you access to more abilities or spells
It's still useless after you get a more powerfull materia.Sure you get Fire 1,Fire 2,Fire 3,than you find Firga so that previous materia becomes useless.
>The thing about Materia is that you are not limited by jobs, you can do whatever you want
Which has less abilities,less magic,less skills than the job system.
>>334490265
FF 7 wasn't that big,it's dungeons were small cramp,and linear,the characters models were ugly,it has less customizations than FF 3,and FF V,the others are subjective.
>>
>>334487507
>Ok so you wanna pick those characters?
>HEY WAIT A SEC YOU NEED TO SPLIT YOUR PARTY IN 4 GROUPS DUDE HEHE HOPE YOU LEVELED THOSE GUYS AND GOT THEM ABILTIES BECAUSE IF NOT, PREPARE YOUR ANUS

It split your party and forced party members on you again and again without giving benched EXP or Ability Points.

Original release has LONG loading times too.

Last boss is a guy who comes out of nowhere and isn't explained at all.
>>
>>334490942
>Less customisation because no jobs
Dude, materia system is far more flexible than just a job.

>FF 7 wasn't that big,it's dungeons were small cramp,and linear
Welcome to every FF

>the characters models were ugly
Subjective, I like the low poly models.
>>
>>334490954
levels dont matter in 9 nearly as much as you seem to think
equipment does

>Last boss is a guy who comes out of nowhere and isn't explained at all
Oh you mean like ff3/4
>>
>>334483197
bottom line: it was revolutionary for its time

respect your elders, fagg-o
>>
File: 1431183639265.png (92 KB, 1011x1887) Image search: [Google]
1431183639265.png
92 KB, 1011x1887
>>334491064
>Dude, materia system is far more flexible than just a job.
Like I said in previous statement the jobs had more variety in spells every character felt unique
>Welcome to every FF
I know you can't compare them but FF 12 dungeons were fucking huge
>>
>>334491228
Levels affect enough and abilities affect a lot.

The fact that benched members get neither of those sucks ass when you combine it with continuous party splits and forced members.

>Oh you mean like ff3/4
Don't know about 3 because I found it boring but I remember Golbez saying something about being controlled(?) or there being some foreshadowing.

Necron had no foreshadowing and was a complete asspull.
>>
>>334491351
What was revolutionary about it other than being in 3d,was it it's marketing,and budget,or the revolutionary ATB system that was presented in other FF games
>>
>>334483197
People shit on 12 vanilla not IZJS.

And yeah 7 is overrated but it's much better than pretty much every FF that came after it barring 9, and that's only for the story and characters.
>>
>hating ff7
this site is not for underages
>>
>>334491741
People hated 7 for years, this is nothing new. I love FF7 but it's not a perfect game by any means.
>>
>>334491691
I personally think 12 has surpass and advance the ATB system far better than FF 7 did
>>
>>334491691
>People shit on 12 vanilla not IZJS.

why though? the only decent thing that FFXII (regular) is missing is the fast forward speed button. skill based license board system or class system, it doesn't matter. I appreciate them both.
>>
Daily reminder that the FF7 remake is a complete cashgrab and Square-Enix will be sticking its STD ridden cock into everything that made the game so "great".
New shit artstyle makes it look like its in the same universe as XV.
>>
>>334491560
3D, the depth of the world and story, fleshed out characters, animated summons, optional content...etc. At the time, yes, I would say it was revolutionary.
>>
>>334491964
The sooner you learn that the opinions of Final Fantasy fans, even those that favor the games you personally like, are horrible, the better.
>>
>>334492087
did you see the FF7 animated movie?
the artstyle was always meant to be like that.
>>
>>334491906
>People hated 7 for years
Only because they were ignorant children that thought it was fun to do so.
>>
>>334491956
But the combat itself sucks much worse than any other FF barring XIII.

>>334491964
>skill based license board system
>skill based

HA good one! Only thing the license board rewards is grinding, grinding and more grinding. Hell I need a license just to wear a fucking accessory, what's with that shit? Also it suffers from the exact same problems as many other FF levelling systems where it makes all your characters play the same.
>>
>>334492087
This. I was hyped up until Square Enix announced it being episodic. This is such a shameless cash grab on par with the Hobbit movie being split into 3 parts. Of course it's still going to work, because no matter how badly Squeenix shits on their fans they'll always come back begging for more.
>>
>>334492263
>HA good one!

you're not making sense. I was only making a distinction between class and skill-based license board. how else would you call it? this has nothing to do with grinding EXP and saying "that doesn't reward (player-)skill." which is the way you interpretate it.
>>
>>334492108
3d was already done before it,Story in my opinion was nothing special,FF VI had a better cast,animated summons was already a thing before it besides they were glorified cut scenes,previous FF game also had optional content again it does nothing but being in 3d
>>
File: Starlow.png (1 MB, 1004x1474) Image search: [Google]
Starlow.png
1 MB, 1004x1474
>>334492180
Yet they went for the same artstyle.
Pretty fucking disgusting considering it was THE game for their company.
They could've mad it stand out, but nope.
Instead you get episodic chapters, Tifa with smaller tits, Sid wont curse, fucked battle system, Cloud looking like a sickly emo bitch, and press x to win gameplay.
>>
>>334492570
Oh right my bad. Still while I haven't played IZJS, vanilla 12 has too much wrong with it for me to like.
>>
>>334492263
>But the combat itself sucks much worse than any other FF barring XIII.
I disagree it was basically the ATB system except in real time.I love you can program your Party the way it suits you,it was breath of fresh air compared to pass FF games
>>
>>334492087
>Literally by the same people minus Sakaguchi and Uematsu
>Wweeeeeh SE is bad because /v/ told me so!!!
>>
>>334492676
>episodic chapters
Yes
>Tifa with smaller tits
Show me the artwork or her model for the remake.
>Sid wont curse
Do you have the script already? Show it.
>fucked battle system
It's like, your opinion man.
>Cloud looking like a sickly emo bitch
He alwaya did.
>and press x to win gameplay
Welcome to console gaming, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>334492676
>Realism is artstyle
??

>Shitposting based on headcanon
This is getting boring.
>>
>>334492875
Well if you enjoy watching the game play itself then sure.
>>
File: Cloud_Strife.png (89 KB, 289x344) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_Strife.png
89 KB, 289x344
>>334493278
>Cloud looking like a sickly emo bitch
>He alwaya did.
>>
>>334493398
Oh your one of those people who only played it for 2 hours,Try doing relying on gambit in late game,there so many variables in FF 12 battle system that it would be foolish to rely on gambits.For example fighting Zodiark what are you going to do when he cast darkja just sit back watch the game play itself and get a game over for being a dumb ass,no FF 12 system doesn't work like that
>>
>>334493398
as opposed to pressing A all the time and confirm actions?

yeah, I personally enjoy that more. plus, turn off Gambits and just realize that micromanaging the whole party all the time is tedious.
>>
>>334493930
Well I watched more than I played, and after a dozen hours I dropped that shit like it was hot and never looked back.

>>334493993
Yeah I can't imagine anything worse than pressing a button in a video game. Hence why now you can just watch the game do it for you.
>>
>>334494168
>Yeah I can't imagine anything worse than pressing a button in a video game. Hence why now you can just watch the game do it for you.
Did you read what >>334493930 said at all?
>>
>>334494168
Press a button watch an attack action yeah you're so much in control of the actions,it's still the same shit and you can choose that method in FF 12
>>
>>334494313
>>334494168
Also.

Think about something like RTS. Now think about RTS without being able to bind groups or give them flags to go to or anything and always have to manually to do EVERYTHING because more clicks = better game?
>>
>>334494313
>it gets better 50 hours in!
>>
>>334494363
>Press a button watch an attack action

Uh yeah, that's what video games are like. At least I'm actually pressing something to make the character attack instead of watching them do it automatically.
>>
File: 1449110761074.png (63 KB, 297x212) Image search: [Google]
1449110761074.png
63 KB, 297x212
>>334492087
Daily reminder that fags like this will complain about it being a cash grab and the end of Square enix as we know it, but will buy it just like the rest of us.
>>
>>334494392
Well that's because you're comparing apples and oranges here.
>>
>>334494620
Normalfags have the lowest standards.
No shit.
>>
>>334494549
Than don't use gambits idiot,FF 12 uses the same system as FF 7,you can choose and select your own attack like an all FF games.
>>334494397
Like every other FF game,all you do for the first 2 hours is select attack with the occasional healing.
>>
>>334494549
RPGs are often not like that. what you want is an action game.
>>
>>334493512
I have hopes that he will bulk as the game progresses.
The Cloud in that trailer just came out of a tube that he was in for 4 years, it makes sense he's scrawny.
When the game comes out and by the second episode he is still scrawny, then, I'll say that you were right.
Not before.
>>
>>334494637
Not really. Gambits make it less straining to do but don't ultimately literally play the game for you.

Just like checkpoints won't literally make the game win the RTS for you.
>>
File: FFVII CC.png (205 KB, 495x392) Image search: [Google]
FFVII CC.png
205 KB, 495x392
I think crisis core did the Materia system right,with being able to fuse them for more powerful materia,and Materia actually boosting stats,and giving you passive defensive abilities like defense and wall
>>
>>334496213
Too bad Crisis Core was an otherwise awful game with a deviantart fanfic tier story. Not like it matters since it's what the fankids crave.
>>
>>334496565
Remove Genesis and focus on Zack and Angeal backstory and you would of have a decent story,as for the gameplay it was braindead easy,but fuck if those late game missions weren't hard,where almost every enemy can oneshot you
>>
>>334483197
Blame the success of 4 and 6 showing them people wanted less complicated character development and a focus on storyline. To be honest 5 is the only one with a good job system anyway, 3's is really lacking and there is not a lot of incentive to switch jobs outside of the end of the game where you need ninjas to throw shit.
>>
File: Super Nova.jpg (56 KB, 477x883) Image search: [Google]
Super Nova.jpg
56 KB, 477x883
Am I wrong in forever blaming FFVII's summons and limit breaks for popularizing overly long attack animations and making them a norm in RPGs?
>>
>>334497450
You're not wrong hell blame the entirety of the playstation brand for pushing that FMV shit
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.