[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think part of the reason the traditional game industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: video game struggles.png (180 KB, 882x736) Image search: [Google]
video game struggles.png
180 KB, 882x736
Do you think part of the reason the traditional game industry seems to be contracting is because young people don't have disposable income to buy games? This also applies to the other entertainment industries like cord-cutting, music sales, DVDs, cinema tickets, even newspapers etc.

Is it really a surprise that people focus on the same 3 franchises each year, buy $1 iPod games when you don't have the disposable income to try new things? The growth areas are where you get a ton of bang for your buck with shit like Netflix/Spotify etc.
>>
There's no games to buy.
>>
>>334482127
There'd be more games to buy if more people were buying games.
>>
The current generation of kids don't care about consoles. They play phone games and PC games. Why buy a PS4 for no games when they can get the biggest franchises on the planet on PC for little or no money? Minecraft, LoL, DotA2, these games are bigger than all the games on Xbox and PS4 combined. Minecraft still sells 10K copies a week years after launch. Nothing on consoles is even 1% that successful. Kids today can get free games and play them on the computers their family already owns for zero money. A console for $400 is hard to sell to a LoL or DotA addicted child who can get those games free. The console industry in Japan is already completely dead. It will be dead in the West in 10 years too. And good riddance. Sony has done nothing good for consoles. They had their chance to do something amazing and they didn't.
>>
>Struggles to grow

At this point I don't know a single person under 30 who doesn't play some form of videogame. Just how much further do they need to grow?
>>
>>334482724
Videogame sales are growing on mobile and PC, but shrinking on consoles. Overall when you average out the shrinkage of the console market it's a net loss for the whole industry. That's been the trend for nearly 10 years now. There was a temporary increase in consoles sales after the new consoles launched but it's falling off now since there haven't been any major console exclusives to drive sales.
>>
File: 1460603126153.jpg (641 KB, 3500x4194) Image search: [Google]
1460603126153.jpg
641 KB, 3500x4194
>walk into my mom's room to take something
>she's searching for some shit under bed
>her big ass is so emphasized, it's like I'm looking at it through magnifying glass

What games feature moms, anons?
>>
>>334482657
>The console industry in Japan is already completely dead.
handhelds still do decently well
it has to do with the lifestyle. it isn't uncommon to be on an hour train ride to and from work/school each day.
>>
>>334482657

>kids play phone games and pc games

Stopped reading right there get your head out of your ass pc fag
>>
If Nintendo hadn't fucked the start of the Wii U up, there'd be a reason to buy consoles and games, but instead we're stuck with sony and microsoft who are too busy out-advertising each other and pushing media and netflix instead of games to their systems.

Also consoles do usually start off selling slowly. Who's gonna pay $599 for something with no games?
>>
File: ...hehe.png (153 KB, 564x800) Image search: [Google]
...hehe.png
153 KB, 564x800
>"Video game industry stuggles to grow,"
oh wow oh wow oh wow
The game industry is like a bimbo, it takes them years to understand ONE single thing at the time.
>>
>>334482657
>PC users
>relevant
There's an article every single day saying PCfags don't buy games.
>>
File: 1460209413065.jpg (86 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
1460209413065.jpg
86 KB, 500x476
>>334482052
Couldn't you say that the videogame industry grew so large that they exceeded how much they could grow?
I believe Wal-mart did the same thing, there needs to be a down scaling of sorts and then they can grow again.
>>
>>334483764
And yet all the top selling games are PC games. Explain how that works. Minecraft has sold more copies on PC than all of the top Playstation exclusives ever.
>>
that's a two years old article
>>
>>334483973
And yet Minecraft sold more on consoles than PC according to the retard who made it.
>>
15 dollar minimum wage will save the vidya industry.
>>
>>334484054
>If I believe it, my delusions will shatter!
>It must be a lie!
This is the first stage of grief, denial.
>>
>>334484216
Yeah for the 10% of people who still have jobs after the economy collapses.
>>
>>334484237
At least you've finally recognized you're in denial. Soon you'll understand your irrelevancy and move on with your life.
>>
The whole industry was piggybacking off the Wii Sports and CoD fads and are not struggle to find something new.

Wii U only has Nintendo die hard fans
Xbone is just the Pepsi to Sony's Coke
And the PS4 just has the casuals that are still around and need one to play with their friends.
>>
>>334484336
You reached the stage of deflection.
>>
>>334484506
The PS4 also has the people who enjoyed PS consoles beforehand, you stupid newfag.
>>
>>334482052
Outside of pic, stupid managers with 8 number salaries seem to miss one thing in "wider audience".
That they buy one game per year.

Combine this with treating core customer wallets as strip mines, eventually they set a machine that needs to eat faster than it can digest to live.
Preorder culture was a giant sign of consuming resources that don't even exist yet.
>>
>>334483986
Thank you, anon. I was reading all these bullshit comments explaining how this was so and no one even thought to look at the fucking date.

The industry is healthier than its ever been, even when you factor out the bullshit mobile gaming.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/16/video-game-industry-revenues-2015/
>>
>>334484806

Look at all the big games that sold on PS in the past, none of them are back except a shitty MGS.

You mean fanboys, which all three have.
>>
>>334482052
it's missleading to say "the videogame industry" and only focus on console. phone games are the game industry too.
>>
>>334482052
Honestly it is a bunch of factors that makes this gen and the industrie so shitty nowadays:

>Focus on graphics to impress normies that only care about that
>EA and probably other companies killing studios so they can also kill their franchises
>Everyone ahs the exactly same games
>Games are either soulless AAA garbage or cheap indieshit, same games don't apply to this but they are few and far between
>Focus on online and services isntead of actual fucking games
>Turning games into social plataforms
>Pandering
>A bunch of souless remakes of franchises people loved back in the day by people who have no idea of what they are doing.
>Jewish practices on games

and so on. Honestly i can't wait for a fucking crash.
and so on
>>
>>334483764
>people on Steam are just pretending to buy games
>>
>>334482052
>December 11, 2014
Well, no kidding. I held out on buying a PS4 until this year (a week before PS4.5 rumors) when games started being bundled with the console.
>>
Holy shit, I just found a random pic to illustrate my point because it's an image board where an image is required. Stop getting fixated on it.
>>
>>334482657
I'd argue the shift to phone and F2P is a symptom and not a cause.
>>
>>334482052
The new generation likes to watch more than playing. My niece prefers to watch lets play instead to play it on the console
>>
The reason it's not growing is because as an industry they are now pandering to people who do not play games. They're looking to please people who will never give them any money, and in the process they are losing the customers that will actually give them money.
>>
File: vidya-anatomy of sales.jpg (165 KB, 1098x704) Image search: [Google]
vidya-anatomy of sales.jpg
165 KB, 1098x704
>>334482052
Nah, it's more like because shitty practices are coming back to bite the industry in the ass. Reliance on DLC, while looking food for quarterly financial reports, undermine consumer trust if mishandled, for example. Not to mention that video game industry inherently has less revenue streams compared to movie industry, for example. It still relies heavily on that "first two-three weeks of sales at full price" to get most of its money from on per-game sales and most games, especially console games, never looked into long tail sales and such.
>>
>>334490000
You should clarify something. They're only looking to pander to those people. It's understandable that they wish to get more people to purchase their games. However, only looking to please them is fucking stupid.
>>
>>334482657
>The console industry in Japan is already completely dead.

Thing is, does anyone really care? It's not like we don't live in a global market and Japanese games won't sell because "they're too Japanese and weird" or something. I can understand Japanese devs have loyalty to their Japanese audience, but sales-wise they're such a small percentage they don't even matter outside of portables. I say fuck them and go where the real money aka EVERYWHERE ELSE.
>>
Is /v/ literally retarded?

OP posts a random screencap from some two year old clickbait article from literally who and morons here actually talk about why they think the gaming industry is contracting (Hint: It's not, outside of handhelds)

Christ, why are people here so fucking stupid and deprived of common sense?
>>
>>334485384
Pretty much. Also, AAA model needs to die already.
>>
>>334485117
I suppose Kenneth Boulding would know, being an economist and a madman.
>>
>>334490110
I don't know how old that chart is, but a publisher makes $35 on a $60 physical title and $42 on a $60 digital title
>>
>>334482052
>seems to be contracting
It's contracting because of the surplus of normieshit games and bigname developers trying to churn out bland high budget crap that caters to the least common denominator

same thing is happening to hollywood
>>
>>334490293
>I say fuck them and go where the real money aka EVERYWHERE ELSE
The real money is in Japan and it always has been. Very few publishers can make money off the global market.
>>
>>334485384
Sadly a lot of this is cancer from the last generation, especially
>>Games are either soulless AAA garbage or cheap indieshit, same games don't apply to this but they are few and far between
because they did their damnedest best to kill medium-size development. And last generation was exceedingly long as well.
>>
>>334490110
Symptom not the cause. Costs increasing and audience shrinking means they try and squeeze every penny out of the remaining audience.

>>334490343
Use common sense, the core games industry is shrinking, especially when you factor in population growth. I mean, logically, if nothing else: 360 + PS3 sales > Xbone + PS4, DS >> 3DS.

Steam is growing but it only takes one look at Steamspy to discover that the PC is not that big relatively speaking.
>>
>>334482961
Didn't GTAV make a billion in sales in just 4 days? How are video games sales shrinking again?
>>
>>334490683
That's not really true because PC is fractured as fuck. It's easy to think everything's on Steam, but it isn't.
>>
>>334482973
I would grope my mom every chance I got, mom butt is the best butt.
>>
>>334490754
And Adele broke the single-week CD album sales record. Doesn't mean the music industry hasn't shrunk.
>>
>>334490110
I think that's true for the most part. As an additional ironic twist the heavy reliance on DLC and microtransations paved the pay for mobile gaming and developed an audience that won't commit to $50-60 games. In other words publishers are alienating their core fanbase and developing a new audience for products that they do not specialize in creating.
>>
Games used to be a cheap night in, now they are more expensive than a decent real night out.

Incoming industry crash
>>
>>334490868
Wrong. Games have always been a large investment. In the 90s a single game could run up $70-80 dollars, and that's not even counting 20+ years of inflation. We had a competitive lowering in prices later but they've started to scale back up.
>>
>>334485384
>>Focus on graphics to impress normies that only care about that
Always been that way
>>EA and probably other companies killing studios so they can also kill their franchises
Always been that way.
>>Everyone ahs the exactly same games
Pareto principle
>>Games are either soulless AAA garbage or cheap indieshit, same games don't apply to this but they are few and far between
Videogame budgets vary wildly, the rise of indies and kickstarters is great for this mid-tier
>>Focus on online and services isntead of actual fucking games
Online play is "fucking games" buddy.
>>Turning games into social plataforms
Games have always been a social platform
>>Pandering
Buzzword with no context
>>A bunch of souless remakes of franchises people loved back in the day by people who have no idea of what they are doing.
I guess you mean remasters? Yeah, I'm getting sick of them, but they're usually outsourced to irrelevant studios who make shovelware
>>Jewish practices on games
Take that jew meme to /pol/ you fucking racist. Companies have always taken steps to get additional income. Nowadays, the rise in digital, microtransactions, crowdfunding, and DLC expansions allow more niche games to be funded and be successful when implemented properly (for example R6 Siege was good implementation of season pass and microtransactions)

tl;dr you're underage b&
>>
>>334490754

>Didn't GTAV make a billion in sales in just 4 days?

Sales of a game over a longer period of time VS three week 'hype' for bland products? Look at all those AAA titles of late: hyped to fuck on launch and dead servers for the multiplayer MONTHS later.

Games aren't taking years to die anymore, it's weeks! Who will still be playing the last Star Wars or The Division next year? No one probably
>>
>>334491104
>Always been that what

What? Did you think this happened overnight or something? Or even during the last generation? Shit's been building up with constantly pushing of the visuals over the expense of everything else, and all other compromises developers make to get their games out there.
>>
>>334482052
>consoles holding back gaymin
I'm not surprised, to be honest.
>>
>>334491063
People had more disposable income in the 90s.
>>
>>334490683
>360 + PS3 sales > Xbone + PS4
False

>DS >> 3DS
True, but handheld is literally the only shrinking market (and quite rapidly at that)

>Steam is growing
Quite rapidly, Steam's max concurrent users has gone from 5m to 12m in less than 4 years

>but it only takes one look at Steamspy to discover that the PC is not that big relatively speaking.
Pareto principle
>>
>>334491063

>wrong

Thank you for that 'autism rich reply' there and I'm glad you know how much I used to spend on a night out back then.

I'm not going to go back to the details of how much a taxi, entrance fee, drinks, throwing up food in the street, etc, but I remember pretty going with a friend to buy a second game that month and explaining to him in glee how much I 'd saved the last few weeks.

Glad you remember it well.
>>
>>334491289
Stop pretending to be retarded and leave if you can't contribute to the discussion.
>>
>>334491487
Uh..I just contributed my opinion, though.
>>
>>334483764
The PC industry makes more money than all three consoles put together. Not all of it through "traditional" purchases

>But unsourced console war shit
No.
>>
>>334491601
Stating a falsehood like it's a fact only demonstrates the opinion that you think it's okay to be retarded in public.
>>
File: 1458856353521.jpg (65 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1458856353521.jpg
65 KB, 550x512
>PlayStation 2

>Devil May Cry
>Timesplitters
>Sly Cooper
>Katamari Damacy
>Silent Hill
>Shadow of the Colossus
>.hack
>Dragon Quest
>Red Faction
>ATV Offroad Fury

I could go on for days, but I think you get the point. How many of those franchsies are on PS4? Console sales aren't dwindling because of a lack of interest in games, they're dwindling because there aren't any fucking games to play. And this is coming from a guy who owns every current gen consoles and many previous ones as well (hell I even have a 1987 MSX2).

There just isn't enough interesting stuff to play on modern consoles, and the few games that do exist are so dumbed down to the lowest common denominator they feel soulless and boring. Even normies are beginning to understand that.
>>
File: 1427916023573.gif (2 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
1427916023573.gif
2 MB, 320x213
>>334490754
>one video game makes a billion dollars
>the other games can barely sell 2 million copies
>how are video game sales shrinking
think about it like this, Is the industry really growing if only studio is making mad profit and the rest aren't doing so well?

>>334490643
I've heard this quite often and i can think of some reasons that may or may not be true, but how do you think they killed medium sized development?
>>
>>334491485
I don't give a shit about how much money your old ass used to waste on going out. Games have gotten less expensive over the last 20 years. Bitching about how much more expensive gaming is now marks you as a retard with shitty memory.
>>
>>334491674
Well, it's okay to be retarded on 4cins.
>>
>>334490683
>calls for common sense
>fails to use it himself
That article was written just after the new gen of consoles launched when they were closer to expensive paperweights than they were video game consoles.

The big console developers were pumping money into building and marketing their consoles and many developers delayed their launches to make ports for the new machines.

The video game industry had been effectively mothballed waiting for the new consoles to find their legs at this time.

On top of this the author of that article is retarded. The industry makes the vast majority of its sales in the holiday season every year. And Nov 2014 didn't look significantly worse than the years surrounding it.
>>
>>334482052
>december 11 2014
>>
>>334491707
Few points here you fucking retard:
1. Those same franchises are still there, but some are multiplats
2. PS4 has been out only 2.5 years
>>
>>334482189
Or maybe if devs made actual games people wanna play and not remasters of shit we've played years ago and yearly franchises with the push of season passes. That and censoring everything. If the game industry is declining it's because devs are fucking themselves and people won't fall for it anymore.
>>
>>334491736
>but how do you think they killed medium sized development?

Not the same guy, but honestly? Budgets to stay competitive. When your game looks like ass compared to AAA that had $80+ millions dumbed into it you can't compare, especially if you're aiming anything less than mainstream. How many people played Uncharted over Binary Domain, for example?
>>
>>334491063
Wrong, games in the 90s were comparatively cheaper due to lower cost of living. Besides that, games in the 00's were actually much cheaper than they are now.

Simply adjusting for inflation isn't a good way of measuring how expensive something is since it doesn't take into account how expensive other things were.
>>
>>334482657
>A console for $400 is hard to sell to a LoL or DotA addicted child who can get those games free.
also if that kid was interested in a console game they are most likely to just watch a stream or lp video of it than play it themselves, so there's less demand to actually buy it or the system.
>>
How long until everyone stops making excuses and being in denial about the situation and accepts that games are in decline? CoD/GTA and Candy Crush/Game of War making hundreds of millions doesn't make for a healthy overall industry.
>>
>>334491707
It seems everyone on 4chan has this distinct retardspeak where they think they're being really insightful when really they're fucking clueless.

You are an idiot. Never post your industry analyses here again.

I'll leave at that because I don't feel like dissecting this mess of a post.
>>
>>334482052
though I love my ps4, this gen of consoles doesn't have a lot of games to choose from. When I see people post their ps4 collections, I either own or have owned at some point the same games, and I guarantee I don't share the same tastes as all of those people. If people post weeb shit I don't have that though. i'm not meeming like most faggots here do, but the xbone and ps4 don't have a lot of games. Its been over 2 years and i don't see this gen having as long of a life cycle as the 360 and ps3 so they won't get no where near the same amount of exclusives and third party games.
>>
I'm not an expert but I feel like publishers are the ones that make for the biggest industry problems in terms of good games being made
>>
>>334492293
For the same period, excluding shit games:

PS4
>Resogun
>N++
>Bloodborne
>Until Dawn
>Infamous SS
>Driveclub
>R&C
>Tearaway Unfolded
>LBP3

PS3
>Warhawk
>Ninja Gaiden Sigma
>Heavenly Sword
>R&C
>SSHD
>Resistance
>Uncharted
>Motorstorm

It's pretty much equal
>>
File: lecoalface.jpg (92 KB, 330x331) Image search: [Google]
lecoalface.jpg
92 KB, 330x331
>>334485384
>Honestly i can't wait for a fucking crash.

Can't help but fucking laugh at you uneducated idiots every time. Acting like a crash is possible, and desireable at all on top of that, like it'll solve any of your problems.
>>
>>334482052
The fundamental problem of growth in the entertainment industry is that in order to grow you need new customers, but to get them fast enough to achieve good/steady growth you have to abandon your old customers which will eventually catch up with you. See the Wii and Wii U
>>
>>334492613
>muh exclusives
>in 2016
>>
>>334482052
>This also applies to the other entertainment industries like cord-cutting, music sales, DVDs, cinema tickets, even newspapers etc.
No one likes paying $80 for a bunch of channels they don't care about. It's much cheaper to stream (that goes for movies as well). Theathers charge a lot, so some people tend to just wait. Doesn't mean people don't like going every once in a while. Newspapers are dying because you can get a lot, if not all of your news online and generally for free. As for video games, I'd say it's because most growth happens on mobile and most new people to gaming play casually.
>>
>>334492617
Not him but I want a crash to stop the gg/sjw and social politics dichotomy as well common popularity and gamer culture as well as new games coming out any more because I don't like any of them and want to see some hubris being punished tbqh
>>
>>334492691
Thanks for the (You), but you're going to have to give me something of substance aside from memes for an actual reply.
>>
>>334492709
If people had more disposable income then people wouldn't have a problem paying $80 for TV or $2/day for a newspaper. They're balking at paying for it because they don't have the money.
>>
File: 1457752376620.jpg (63 KB, 438x470) Image search: [Google]
1457752376620.jpg
63 KB, 438x470
>>334492801
>to stop the gg/sjw and social politics dichotomy as well common popularity and gamer culture
I cringed so hard my butthole puckered up reading that. Fucking castrate yourself neckbeard.
>>
What does /biz/ think?
>>
>>334492801
Crash is pretty much unlikely because A) video games are much entrenched and B) industry is not monolithic enough that even if all major publishers went bankrupt it would follow suit. There's enough independents out there that the industry would survive, albeit in a much smaller form that went back to catering to actual enthusiast and niche audience. Consoles used to high-budget and high-visuals spectacles would be fucked, though.
>>
>>334482052

People will always buy luxury my friend.

It's because there are no games except on Nintendo which continues to run ads targeted at 9 year olds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAn5AgdPkCo) and then wonder why no one buys their games
>>
>>334492929
You sound like a fedora tipper yourself tbqh
>>
File: 1459088690573.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459088690573.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
>>334491707
>they're dwindling because there aren't any fucking games to play.
Quantity of games has never determined console sales, it has always been the killer apps that drive sales.

People do indeed spend 400 bucks on a PS4 to play Madden, people do spend 200 bucks on a Wii to play WiiSports, hell even I'll admit that I bought a PS2 to play Final Fantasy X, the fact that it had many other fantastic games was more luck then anything else.
>>
>>334482052
PC killed consoles

With exclusives like TF2, Minecraft, LoL, World of Tanks, CS GO, Day Z, GTA5, Hearthstone, Skyrim, Fallout 4 and more kids today don't want to play consoles where games cost $60 and consoles being so expensive.

Just a simple PC and a wide selection of amazing F2P games is more than enough to satisfy the next generation of gamers who do not care for overpriced garbage but for great gameplay and moddability.
>>
>>334482657
>And good riddance. Sony has done nothing good for consoles. They had their chance to do something amazing and they didn't.

What about Nintendo or MS?

Why is it always Sony?

I know that this board is fulled of PC cuccks and Drones but holy shit.
>>
>>334493110
Minecraft, GTA, Skyrim and Fallout 4 all sold more on consoles than PC though
>>
>>334482052
i think its due by games just being more expensive to make and developers not wanting to take any risks and experiment like they did before.
>>
File: 1447524600988.jpg (18 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1447524600988.jpg
18 KB, 582x600
>>334492801
AHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHA

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I CAN SMELL THE FUCKING STENCH OF YOUR BO FROM HERE
>>
I think games have become too "corporate"

Most high budget games are by the numbers to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Every FPS is Calladuty. Every major game has RPG like upgrade elements and perks. Every major game has its season pass and it's DLC.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (16 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
16 KB, 470x313
>>334482657
I sort of agree with this. The Xbros have grown up or got bored and moved on to LoL and DotA (or just moved away from gaming in general as I think most of the previous generation's players were casual anyway, and had no strong commitment to one form of entertainment over another), and the generation after them is on Minecraft and other ADHD mobile rubbish

>mfw studying to become a teacher
>mfw minecraft is being used as a text in schools for Maths and SOSE

My kids will get SotC and The Stanley Parable if I have to, or can fluidly include vidya in my English outcomes
>>
>>334493110
>With exclusives like TF2, Minecraft, LoL, World of Tanks, CS GO, Day Z, GTA5, Hearthstone, Skyrim, Fallout 4 and more
>>
>>334492801
How is a crash even remotely possible to begin with? It'd require the synchronized bankruptcy of thousands of developers to happen in conjunction with billions of people quitting gaming as a whole. And anyone who thinks it'd fall back to catering to a "Niche"? Fat fucking chance. That niche is already being catered to in a lot of cases and nobody's buying.
>>
>>334484806
>jRPGs on steam
>PS4 relevant at all
>>
>>334493379
>googles SOSE
>Scottish Old Skool Escorts
ok then
>>
>>334493346
High budget games have always been made for the sake of capturing the most people who play games.

It just so happens that we have more people playing games then we did 20 years ago. Whereas a wide audience in 1995 may have been every 10 year old, a wide audience in 2016 is literally everyone else.
>>
File: 1435803651021.jpg (10 KB, 211x244) Image search: [Google]
1435803651021.jpg
10 KB, 211x244
>>334492213
Not even him, but you're a faggot.
>buhu your wrong but I'm not going to try to address your points
>>
Everyone has laptops and phones now. Casual games on these sell VERY well. Business people see this and advice to most companies becomes to copy what those mobile developers are doing. The result is games that are really watered down, but with an extra cost of hardware, that unlike phones and laptops, not everyone has already. The end.
>>
>>334493460
>>334493460
>PS4 relevant at all

Are you implying it isn't?

Are you really retarded?
>>
>>334482052
>young people don't have disposable income to buy games?

This reason is why we need Universal Income is an income unconditionally granted to all on every individual In USA mexicans get 15$ usd/hr flipping burgers meanwhile Ivy league graduate students in stuck on generic office desks.

Selling games at 60$ USD might have taken on a stupid big risk, but industry didn't deserve to die for it. they would have come to realize that the some people was right.
>>
File: ad&d 2e book cover.jpg (88 KB, 360x523) Image search: [Google]
ad&d 2e book cover.jpg
88 KB, 360x523
>>334482052
>traditional game industry
vidya isn't a traditional game, you nigger.
this is.
>>
>>334493483
I used the outdated term, now it's called HASS (I don't know what SOSE or HASS stand for fully)
When I was in school it was Society and the Environment (S&E), bet now they're cramming in other outside elements so it's got new anagrams.
>>
>>334493379
>and the generation after them is on Minecraft and other ADHD mobile rubbish
Just like how the generation before them was on Pokemon and ADHD flash rubbish
>>
Games where you aren't using a phone and aren't just juggling various countdown timers are for old farts.
>>
>>334491261
I'm not him and even I know it's always been like that dude. How old are you anon?
>>
>>334482052
>cinema tickets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

>14 of the top 20 are from the last 5 years
>>
>Single, young, white, healthy adult
>Out on my own
>Bills and expenses out the ass
>No exemptions from any tax penalties
>Forced to buy expensive health insurance

I literally can't buy vidya often because the government doesn't like my kind. I might be able to afford them if I were black and had 4 kids, and were too stupid to maintain a job that pays minimum wage.
>>
>>334482657

>The current generation of kids don't care about consoles. They play phone games and PC games
>'PC games'

top fucking lel, how delusional can you be you sad cunt?
>>
>>334493658
Okay, googling they both mean social sciences. Stupid acronyms.
>>
>>334493783
Inflation, ticket price increases, population growth and international growth.
>>
>>334492906
That, and it's kind of ridiculous how some of those haven't gotten cheaper over time. People still pay expensive phone and cable bills for some reason, despite being able to get a cheap phone or TV. Don't get me wrong, have more disposable income would be a good thing too, but I think it could be better used to stimulate other parts of the economy rather than enabling the ones that refuse to change.
>>
>>334482052
>Do you think part of the reason the traditional game industry seems to be contracting is because young people don't have disposable income to buy games?

No, it's because game budgets are ludicrously inflated now. Because of this there are fewer games coming out, and every game that DOES get made has to be bland, derivative and casual as fuck because they aren't willing to invest that much money in anything that could be considered "a risk".

The clueless executives who run game studios don't understand that releasing the same bland product over and over again eventually results in dissatisfaction and boredom from the consumer base. They think games are like fast food and that they just need to keep churning it out.
>>
This thread is an embarrassment. A bunch of pathetic manchildren spouting doom and gloom for the industry based on anecdotal evidence from shitposting on 4chan and living in their mum's basement.

There's a whole world out there, and look at the statistics as a whole before spouting out your useless anecdotal analysis. I've been following SalesGAF for 6+ years now and I know and understand information and trends off the top of my head more than most analysts paid for this information. And even I still have a long way to go to fully grasp the intricacies and massive scale of the industry at large.

But one thing I can say is the more things change, the more they stay the same. Had people in this thread been born 20 years earlier, they'd have been spouting doom and gloom about the very generations they thought were the peak of the industry. Some food for thought.

And always feel free to drop into NPD, PAL, Media Create, and other sales threads and participate in the discussions.
>>
>>334493905
>population growth and international growth.
explain to me how these last two indicate the industry is shrinking. Because what you just said boils down to more people are going to see movies than ever before.
>>
>>334493661
The flash rubbish was only accessible under certain circumstances though. Kids play Minecraft in restaurants, on the bus, at recess. Even Pokémon (or handheld games) were restricted at school when I was a kid
>>
>>334494218
Go away shill.
>>
>>334494218
Well said, which poster is this lol

Nice to see other cross-posters here
>>
>>334494231
It's shrinking in the US. Fewer people are going to see films in theaters, and they're seeing fewer films.

Instead, you're getting an increasingly small amount of mega-budget giant CGI-driven blockbusters focused on making international revenue.

So you end up with endless sequels and spectacle-driven movies, most notably superhero films.
>>
>>334482657

>They play phone games

Phone games are just generic flappy bird clones or endless runners where pay for unlock characters, every are inferior to any console games, are there a Neptunia or Senran Kagura clones in smartphones?
>>
>>334494857
They are cheaper though. Not to mention everyone has a phone.
>>
>>334494857
It's just this generation's flash games. Even better because they're only played to pass time. It's not same market as Steam/console
>>
>>334494218

>living in their mum's basement.

Whoa, that generic and predictable responde again. Why a helpful productive member of society need opinions of internet anons?
>>
>>334495171
The difference being way more people are playing 'flash games' than ever
>>
>>334495251
Nah, flash games were pretty huge, they just didn't make much revenue due to no microtransactions like mobile
>>
Part of me still thinks mobile games and apps are a fad. Remember when Facebook games were huge for 12 minutes?
>>
>>334495772
Or when everyone was saying native software was dead and replaced by online... until the iPhone came out and they were the next big thing again?
>>
>>334491104
here we have an apologetic retard in his natural habitat. what a remarkable species.
>>
>>334495772
apps are literally facebook games which were just flash games
>>
>>334494218
Fuck off the newest Valkyrie Profile game is a feeble attempt at getting mobile bux instead of a real i say REAL game

Yes im mad. Fuck off mobile is trash
>>
>>334492801
> but I want a crash to stop the gg/sjw and social politics dichotomy as well common popularity and gamer culture

there´s no fucking way there´s gonna be a crash that solves these issues. the gaming industry may have SJWs and 20something adults trying to justify their identity using phrases like "gaming culture", but the focus and target audience are children and teenagers of the majority of all products released.

Think of it this way: Sure there´s chocolatiers around the world creating great snacks using chocolate. but 95% of chocolate isn´t used as fancy food, but as sweets for children.
>>
>>334482052
The problem is that the industry is focused on hollywood bullshit and extreme budgets, creating games that often do not make a profit.
What's the solution? Make the next one bigger, invest more on marketing, so you're forced to put stronger microtransation bullshit that ruins the game design.

The industry fails to grow because the industry has given up the enthusiast portion. So they have very little long-term retention. Nobody becomes a big videogame fan. All games nowadays are designed to impress for the first 10 minutes and then you can drop them and not miss too much. That is how most people "play" videogames today.

In a scenario like this, you will never have good things. After we got QTE fests, we got one-button movie-games; soon we'll get further dumbing down to AAA walk simulators, and then eventually videogames will just become clickers, maximum gratification and playing themselves, because they appeal to the "who got time to play videogames?" audience.

This is the future that the publishers are building.
>>
>>334496909

Lol!
>>
>>334495772
Teacheranon here, we're getting a lot of discussion of vidya as the next big media format in my studies - which I think would be great, interactive media can offer so many new thematic elements which have hardly been touched upon even now - but a fucking huge amount of our discussions are centred on stuff with real basic gameplay and outcomes (minecraft for maths and geography, rpgmaker to create a short story, etc)

Sadly, I think mobile games are following our social trends of a shorter attention span and needs for more immediate rewards, leading me to think that whatever replaces mobile games will be even more infuriatingly basic and easy to access.

I hope I'm wrong, but we've gone from books, to plays, to movies, to TV, to home movies, to vidya, to portable vidya and streamable movies and TV (and I challenge you to find anyone under 20 that will sit through a movie at home without using their phone), to portable vidya. It's a basic, but very observable cultural trend.
>>
The big shots of the industry are constantly blaming consumers and playing the victim card whenever they fuck up. They also talk to their audience as if it were an investor meeting.

Everywhere else, I see the big shots of any given industry believing in what they do and having some morals, or at least pretending to do.

In the videogame industry, it's:
>"we are a company, we exist to make money, now buy our false advertised shit even if it's bad because we have to survive".
>"you think you want this, but you do not. we know better than you"

>waaaah why are people assholes and nobody buys games?
>>
File: 1306392685987.png (21 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1306392685987.png
21 KB, 429x410
>>334491104
I feel like I lost a few brain cells while reading this post.
>>
>>334491104
>>>Everyone ahs the exactly same games
>Pareto principle
Mind explaining this in detail? I just looked up the Pareto Principle and I don't understand how it connects
>>
>>334497487
The evolution of entertainment of a civilization makes for a flashy argument but leaves out the part, where it´s creation becomes more and more complex. Writing a book needs paper, language and zeitgeist, while creating a videogame on a cellphone needs all of the above and substantial technological expertise.

Criticizing your pupils attentionspan and glorifying the good ol´ days is easy to do. What´s your jobdescription again? You´re like a analog version of google that follows a pattern of informationgathering dictated by district or state right? How can you talk shit about the declining value of cultural products while you yourself add nothing to society?
>>
>>334491104
>>>EA and probably other companies killing studios so they can also kill their franchises
>Always been that way.
Not really. Unless always obviously means "I started gaming with uncharted 2 so that's when gaming started".
>>
>>334491104
>>>Turning games into social plataforms
>Games have always been a social platform
Jesus christ, are you for real?
>>
>>334498428
>Writing a book needs paper, language and zeitgeist, while creating a videogame on a cellphone needs all of the above and substantial technological expertise.
Please explain to me what zeitgeist Angry Birds drew upon. I understand being a dick to another anon just for fun, but there are limits to the kind of bullshit I'm willing to tolerate in that pursuit.
>>
>>334482052
The "new consoles" didnt offer anything new.
>>
>>334498428
Are you denying that people today have shorter attention span?

Are you denying that the 90's kids had shorter attention span than the '50's people? Cause I'm one of them and I grew during the entertainment boom where this was extremely obvious to feel. In a single day I had access to more different things than my parents did in their entire childhoods.

Society is working towards shorter attention span and moving away from having a single expertise/interest. This is a phenomenon that has been happening for centuries, not just the last decade.

This is detrimental for a society, because "jack of all trades master of none" is ultimately useless in a competing system, where you need to be the best to be good. Less and less people are willing to dream about achieving mastery in any given field because we grew up in a time where we were overwhelmed by exploring a ton of different things at a surface level, which required less effort to understand and follow. (And that is why it ultimately sells)

Fact remains, the living standards are catering to be dumber and dumber and this is bad for the long term of a society. It reflects on our work standards because the way we consume entertainment or social media is really the way we live our daily life.
>>
>>334499095
This
Compare it with the era the 3d was introduced

In just one month I saw more innovation than current gen consoles have brought in this 3 years.

Infact, the N64 launch title alone, super mario 64, just to name one, was a more innovative game than the entirety of the current gen console libraries today, which are 100% derivative.

What is the groundbreaking game this generation? The last of us Remastered?
>kek
>>
>>334498663
> I understand being a dick to another anon just for fun

It´s called scepticism and dates back to ancient greece, you tweed wearing twat. And if being called a faggot, which you are, is not an acceptable form of argumentation, you obviously have never heard of Catullus. If you need a justification why there is zeitgeist involved in the creation of Angry Birds, do it yourself. You make me sick. Or maybe my attentionspan is just not long enough to spoon-feed you.
>>
>>334499680
>Skepticism or scepticism (see spelling differences) is generally any questioning attitude towards unempirical knowledge or opinions/beliefs stated as facts,[1] or doubt regarding claims that are taken for granted elsewhere
I'm sorry you consider 'not instantly agreeing with you' to be someone 'being a dick to you for fun'.
:^)
>>
>>334498428
>How can you talk shit about the declining value of cultural products while you yourself add nothing to society?
Your attitude both reinforces and hurts my feelings anon. I'm hoping to impart more than just information on my students - notably critical thinking and resistant readings of what they're presented with. At the same time, I won't argue that a lot of teachers want a stable career and a relatively easy job, so I do follow your attitude. I know I'm a minority case, but I'm inspired by a single teacher from my high school days and hope to be that person for as many students as I can.

That being said, you spend a paragraph criticizing my field without really tying that to anything solid. Other anon have already pointed it out; you can't deny attention spans are being shortened (well, you can, resistant readings and all, but you need to offer evidence and explain why you'd be resisting the offered reading), and you haven't really said anything else. How does complexity affect the discussion?

Also, please, don't take you kids to school. Just get them to spend 5 hours a day on Google.
>>
>>334482052
Has any game released recently even been a fully completed product?

Don't bother mentioning games with rampant DLC.
>>
>>334499101
So the cognitive functions of attention became shorter because of societies differentiation into specialized production and workers?

>Less and less people are willing to dream about achieving mastery in any given field because we grew up in a time where we were overwhelmed by exploring a ton of different things at a surface level, which required less effort to understand and follow.

A great remark. Really nice grandpa.

>Fact remains, the living standards are catering to be dumber and dumber and this is bad for the long term of a society

Just because you call it fact, doesn´t make it none son. Rate of an-alphabets is at an all time low across the entire planet. The rate of people getting a higher education is rising as well.

>It reflects on our work standards because the way we consume entertainment or social media is really the way we live our daily life.

And violence in videogames leads to higher numbers of crimes in real life. Rapes are at an all-time-high because of Game of Thrones as well.
>>
>>334500326
undertale
>>
>>334500475
>Rate of an-alphabets is at an all time low across the entire planet.
This isn't anything surprising. Increasing education in developing countries is obviously going to lower the illiteracy rate. Anyone can learn a language, by the way, so it doesn't indicate anything about intelligence.
>The rate of people getting a higher education is rising as well.
This is, ironically, a bad thing. Most courses these days are a complete joke, and exist solely because kids are convinced that you need to put yourselves in a bunch of debt to get a job. Colleges and universities are basically just global scams, getting an insane amount of money in return for giving a never-ending stream of kids some meaningless degree.

You're absolutely delusional if you can't see how the massive influx of entertainment has reduced humanity to a very basic developmental state of instant gratification. Everything is based around the now, if something isn't entertaining enough in the first 2 minutes, it's discarded instantly because there's another 50 million shitty phone games to try instead.
>>
>>334500189
>Also, please, don't take you kids to school. Just get them to spend 5 hours a day on Google.

"The National Home Education Research Institute reports that children who are educated at home typically score 15 to 30% higher than public school students on standardized academic achievement tests."

Aside from being the stereotype of an inspirational teacher you and your colleagues are also doing a worse job than combining housewives and google.
>>
>>334501378
>this dumb retard thinks schools are to teach you shit like maths
There's a reason every single home-schooled kid is an absolute monumental fuck-up who can't do anything, and no company will ever hire one if they know about it.

You replace what should be the most vital period of socialising and understanding what is and isn't acceptable with your mommy reading you a textbook. Better scores on some tests are nothing compared to life-long social retardation.
>>
>>334501345
>You're absolutely delusional if you can't see how the massive influx of entertainment has reduced humanity to a very basic developmental state of instant gratification

You´re making - without knowing about it - the argument that, what Freud called sublimation, is actually declining. A argument which is quite standard for groups that try to distinguish themselves from the common sense of the general public. Meaning fancy people say that since the beginning of the industrialization to boost their own status in relation to the Volk. If you want to know more about it read Pierre Bourdieu and his works about the field of culture.
>>
>>334501378
>than combining housewives and google
Well, duh. Parents are going to have A, the best rapport with their child, B, the most time to spend, and C, the smallest class sizes (unless mormon)
That's pretty obvious and likely predated google; if you decide to homeschool your own child, you're probably going to try and do it well.

That isn't what he or you suggested though, in terms of a teacher being the same thing as google. It's also, as >>334501752 said, not the total purpose of school.

I applaud your efforts at being an asshole, but they're pretty aimless at the moment. Silver participation star, but you'll need to work harder if you want the gold one.
>>
It's because the under 25 group has grown up with everything being free online. Movies, music, games, if it isn't free or super cheap they won't get it. If they are paying money it's to something like netflix where they can just stream everything.
>>
>>334483060
it's actually true
>>
>>334502197
Bullshit. People will pay for shit if they have money and it's easy. The issue is that people are poor
>>
File: remove casuals.png (814 KB, 594x616) Image search: [Google]
remove casuals.png
814 KB, 594x616
>>334482052
The game industry is suffering because games and their development was homogenized to remove difficulty and creativity to simpletons don't feel threatened by complex games. That way more casuals, dudebros, and wiggers buy games and these companies make more money. You can scream at eachother about hardware, and you can scream at eachother like retards about whose controllers better but it comes down to games in the end no matter what DAMAGE CONTROL you try.

Games have become:
-Oversimplified
-Safe
-Structurally dull
-mechanically dull (even when theres cool stuff like wall jumps and airdashes or other stuff like that, it's a mockery of of its old functionality)
-They pander to direct demographics for easier sales rather than expanding the structure of the genre to make it better
-Gimmicks are forced into genres they dont belong in replacing or retarding controls for retards

It's just a mess and it was all done for money and you faggot little kids eat it up time after time. I miss the days when we didn't need to section off gaming into categories. Where we had "hardcore" and "casual" because all those games were enjoyable, because their design didn't suffer for direct group pandering. Back in the day I loved my contras and F-zeros just as much as my Kirby's and animal crossing. My Zelda 1 and 2 just as much as resident evil 1 and 2.

Sadly the new gen of consumers are retarded children brought up by political correctness and smartphones, they dont know real games and scoff us for remembering when they were better because they never KNEW a time that was better. They grew up with this ultra homogenized, generic, and uncreative tripe they call games now.

GUESS WHAT? ITS ONLY GETTING WORSE FROM HERE AS THE SMARTPHONE GENERATION TAKES OVER AS DEVELOPERS. You can call me a hipster, and I dont really give a fuck because I've been gaming longer than most of you have been alive, but gaming was truly better before it became mainstream.
>>
>>334482657
>The console industry in Japan is already completely dead
You're a retard.
>>
>>334503101
Completely dead is an exaggeration, but it's seriously shrunk. It's one of the reasons Japanese devs are pushing their shit more in the west to make up for the lost revenue.
>>
Today for a game to be successful you need a PR machine, hype and gimmicks that create enough resonance to sell. Gameplay comes second.
>>
For fuck's sake, I'm tripfagging for this thread because I don't even know who I'm arising with anymore

>>334499101
You'll find people who are masters of their trade everywhere anon. I'd actually argue that it's those who are directionless who are damaged the most.

>>334500475
>an-alphabets
My word of the day, cheers anon. I agree with all your points here.

>>334501345
>Anyone can learn a language, by the way, so it doesn't indicate anything about intelligence
>>The rate of people getting a higher education is rising as well.
>This is, ironically, a bad thing.
Jesus fucking Christ anon, really?

>>334501378
One on one teaching only improves standards by 15-30%
Consider a single person dealing with a classroom of 20+ students, then think about that statistic in relation to a home school.
Also consider the social implications (I don't know anyone home schooled but my half-sister got sent to a special school because she was bullied and she's quite literally breaking one side of the family apart), and the critical thinking skills that parents who may mean well but may also focus solely on the number on their child's reports may completely ignore.

>>334502197
Debatable. I pay for shit I believe I should pay for (new IPs that get sold reviews or that I like, devs that I know or expect to produce great work, anything that I sink more than 10 hours into, etc) but pirate almost everything first.

>>334503279
They were diminishing even last gen iirc
>>
>>334503438
Don't delude yourself, marketing has always mattered as much as the game itself.
>>
The money is in mobile games or entry-level PC games.

No one is buying little timmy a 400 dollar console or 1000 dollar PC. They are buying him the newest iphone and letting him game on the family computer.

Games should be trying to capture the adult market because we have the money to blow and we are also getting more lonely every year as our women become more manly.
>>
>>334504218
I'm surprised no-one has invested significant money on games that run on potatoes, especially since Popcap got EAed.
>>
Argument for the shortened attention of modern gamers is Angry Birds. Then what´s Tetris and Pacman?
>>
>>334504358
LoL and Dota don't require much. Minecraft doesnt either.

Gee, I wonder if that helped them make billions.

This is also a big reason why MMOs usually look like shit so more people can play.
>>
>>334485315
Anyone got that picture of PS4 most solds, top was TLoU HD, Cawadoody, GTA 5, FIFA 15 and so on.
>>
>>334504574
I'm not sure if you're trying to argue with me, but I 100% agree with that.

Why isn't more money invested in those sorts of games by publishers when there's obviously a massive audience? Those games are worth billions.
>>
>>334493789
>Forced to buy expensive health insurance
Free market will fix it!
>>
>>334503607
>tripfagging
>just uses a name
Good job.
>>
>>334504857
Not a clue.

If I were them I would go a step below the average hardware statistics that Steam has.
>>
>>334503820
"John Romero's about to make you his bitch"
- Daikatana (2000) promo

>>334504218
Can you really complain about women getting more manly when you have pic related as a new alternative anon?

>>334504358
>what is a laptop
In the enriched maths class I had on my first practical almost all had laptops. My own one cost me $450AUD (here we go...), about $150 less than a console and more practical in the eyes of parents I'd imagine.

>>334504452
Play original Tetris. It's slow. Also, technical limitations.

>>334484806
>housemate is a huge M$ fan
>original Xbox (which I appreciate)
>360 (okay more Halo, and Gears of War has Horde)
>MS phone with their OS (???)
>won't buy an XBOne because the only game he thinks he'll play is Halo Guardians and it's not worth $600
You need to back up your franchises with actual releases anon
>>
>Sequel after sequel
>Everything gets bought up by big companies that would rather play safe than innovate
>Except when it comes to profit, then they'll "innovate"(Season Pass, more obnoxious DRM, taking servers offline without giving players options of hosting)
>>
>>334482052
Games getting more and more expensive, games continue to come out with more and more day one DLC.

Why bother forking out $60 day one when you can watch a free lets play on youtube with adblock on.
>>
>>334505459
I'd create more stuff that runs on a shitty fucking laptop that every kid has access to.
>>
>>334505715
And the mechanics are always extremely similar to other games from the last decade, so it's not like youre missing much by doing so.

Like every fps is still using the same old counterstrike formula but this time with jetpacks! Yeah except tribes already did that forever ago but better.

Twitch has saved me 100s of dollars a year since 2012.
>>
>>334505365
Nigga nobody's impersonating me, the guy I'm having a discussion with is mixing me up with people that are saying completely retarded shit and it's damaging our discussion - which I'm enjoying and finding partially, or at least subjectively, informative.

I just want him to know who I am for this thread. My trip isn't worth hijacking, and my perspective isn't worth protecting.

>>334506428
>play Halo Reach with a friend
'Fwaaaark man this is so different from cod haha'
>mfw beat him at cod 5 minutes ago and haven't played since MW2 released
>>
>>334505756
It's going to click in their heads sooner or later. Not only do they save money and development time but they also vastly increase their market.
>>
>>334482052
There has been no new huge games that have actually turned out good in a while.
>>
>>334497625
Great argument buddy. Thank for contributing.

>>334498612
Again, thank you for contributing with this compelling argument.
>>
>consoles
>relevant

overpriced, underpowered DRM boxes that can't do anything besides play video games and charge you online fees made by manufacturers that don't have enough money to throw at developers to keep Exclusivity contracts anymore. The best they can do is "Equality" constracts, like paying Ubishit or WB Games to maliciously sabotage/gimp performance on PC.

no wonder Mobile (smartphones) and PC is devastating them
>>
>>334502341
"buying your kid and xbox" is still very much a thing.
>>
File: 1456589817234.png (309 KB, 664x602) Image search: [Google]
1456589817234.png
309 KB, 664x602
>>334482657
Seeing as how huge Dota and LoL are I have to say this guy is right. Why buy a console and buy games when most toasters can run dota or lol and are FtP. the only thing you might need to spend is a couple bucks for a skin for your favorite character.
>>
>>334506816
Teacher-kun, i already stopped caring, if you´re talking about me. Sorry about your familiy. You really should read Bourdieu and his essay about the field of literature and maybe Freuds works on culture.
>>
File: 1456913072541.pngXX0001.jpg (254 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456913072541.pngXX0001.jpg
254 KB, 1280x1080
>>334507183
Maybe next time post something that's actually worth contributing to rather than a wall of text that basically says "I'm a retarded corporate apologist."
>>
File: 1439207530875.jpg (20 KB, 257x244) Image search: [Google]
1439207530875.jpg
20 KB, 257x244
>>334482052
>2014
>people actually replied
>>
>>334482052
iPads being cheaper, bad economy for almost a decade now, upcoming elections, game prices becoming inflated because game budgets increase and have million dollar campaigns of commercial and paid shills

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here, but that's what I see. As a guy who works retail and is trying to sell shit he doesn't need on eBay, I can tell you that the bad economy and upcoming elections has literally been bringing all sales to a grinding halt
>>
File: 200_s.gif (29 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
29 KB, 356x200
way too many people ITT think /v/ trends and buying habits = broad market trends and buying habits
>>
>>334507827
Interesting theory. At my store, sales have nearly halved and theft shortage has nearly doubled since this time last year. The local police said crime is rising rapidly.
>>
>>334490868
>games used to be cheap, now they are expensive =(

hey faggot, games are cheaper now than they ever have been, even the $60 price point games. Remember, there's a thing called inflation, so that $50 copy of Resident Evil your step dad bought you to keep you quiet about him raping you ass? Equivalent to ~$75 now, or about 1.5 buttrapes.
>>
>>334482052
> is because young people don't have disposable income to buy games?

Wrong. It's because F2P games exist that have AAA comparable quality.
>>
>>334507274
>being this out of touch.

It's like no one on /v/ knows anything outside their /v/ hugbox. Traditional consoles are stronger than ever.
>>
>>334507926
>>334508810

these

you guys are doing a great job describing how this all works....if /v/ were the only people buying video games

unfortunately /v/ is not even 0.1% of the people buying video games
>>
>>334494857
Do you think kids care? Phone games are free or $1. Even a shitty Neptunia game will run $30 or more. Kids aren't going to pay $30 for a game when they can get free games. They don't have jobs.
>>
File: 1362377415180.png (69 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1362377415180.png
69 KB, 1600x1200
>>334508240

I was about to laugh at this but realized it's true. AAA and F2P have almost no difference, they're both awful messes.
>>
>>334508810
Traditional console game sales are the lowest they've ever been. Have you even looked at the actual numbers?
>>
File: 1429292072907.jpg (13 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1429292072907.jpg
13 KB, 251x242
>>334482973
>>334490782
You motherfuckers need help
>>
>>334508069
>The local police said crime is rising rapidly

this is what they said when you reported the thefts or something?
>>
>>334508240

This.
Also F2P MMOs are a fucking bane on the industry
>>
>>334507319
>Give me your finest Child and the new Xbox please
>>
>>334509118
And when you compare sales to population growth of targeted age groups you realize it's even worse.

I really think it's because kids would rather have a new 700 dollar phone instead of a console for their birthday.
>>
>>334509118
Yes, because the Wii had the casual nongamer audience who then went to mobile. If you look at the trend of Nintendo consoles, it's decreasing every year, and the Wii only had about 18m or so traditional Nintendo fans who typically buy their consoles, and the rest were new gamers and casuals who went to the mobile market. Once they left for the mobile market, the Wii U went right back to the trend and proceeded to be the worst selling mainline Nintendo console of all time.

It's already been established that the mobile marker is a different demographic with entirely different interests that plays for entirely different reasons than the console or Steam markets. Even PC gaming is made up by a vast majority of F2P games, MMOs, and browser games and mostly in second and third world countries. The Steam audience that buys traditional AAA and AA games is rather small.

PS4 is tracking faster than any console aside from the Wii (already explained above), and Xbone is tracking a tad below 360.

So educate yourself before spewing bullshit.
>>
>>334509180
Yes. I asked them.
>>
>>334509652
>If you look at the trend of Nintendo consoles, it's decreasing every year,
Whoops. That should say every gen.
>>
>>334509652
And both 360 and PS3 were WAY below the PS2 generation. The console market shrunk last gen. It's even smaller this gen. By next gen it will be a tiny fraction of what it used to be.
>>
File: 1369163456569.gif (606 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1369163456569.gif
606 KB, 500x375
>>334509234

I don't think they have any impact on the industry. No one plays them except for extreme casuals, streamers, and NEEts with lots of money. It's a dead genre.
>>
>>334491104
>>>Turning games into social plataforms
>Games have always been a social platform

They really, really weren't.
>>
Posts article from 2014
GTFO
>>
>>334509972
>and NEEts with lots of money.
That's why it does have a huge impact. Free games like LoL make more money than all of Sony's Playstation brand. We're talking literally billions of dollars spent on LoL and DotA. It's unreal. That's why so many games are trying to copy them.
>>
>>334509932
Microsoft saw this too early.

Remember when they were trying to announce the xbox 1 as everything but a games console and everyone got pissed off? I think that's the way consoles are headed. Like xbox live will include a netflix subscription and use apps like smart TVs have been doing for years.
>>
>>334507926
>>334508971

Please explain how off base the people here are. If you can't, you are simply wrong.
>>
File: L531qTK.jpg (21 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
L531qTK.jpg
21 KB, 852x480
>>334507274
I'm sorry but I'm going to have BTFO you

The Wii fad dying doesn't mean consoles are irrelevant or even on the decline. Soccer moms, the elderly, and nongamers are not what is supporting the games industry.
>>
>>334510141
No-one is going to buy a $300+ media box.
>>
>>334482052
Devs aren't putting out quality games
>>
>>334506953
This sort of shit boggles my mind.
First year of business school gave me 3 broad target audiences and business premises: quality (moderate product price), quantity (low product price) or niche (high product price)

Yet you get:

Quantity, via
>ASSFAGGOTS
effectively mods (low production cost) of old as fuck games (wide range due to system requirements)
>investment should be low
>investment arguably moderate
>should charge low
>don't charge anything

Niche, via
>indieshit
Games that are niche (low specific target audience) with a high production cost (for a single dev or a small team) at moderate cost (more people to take risks on the purchase)
>investment usually high
>this is true
>generally small target group
>should charge moderately
>actually do

Quality (???), via
>AAA
>costs a fuckload (for the company), high price (reduced customer participation)
>investment should be high
>arguably true
>pricing high
>target groups areally niche and elite
>pricing a result of that

Basically, according to traditional market growth , AssCreed should be a niche product with a handful of buyers, LoL and DotA should be the most popular, and Undertake should be the risky one that will revolutionize or crash or burn. The current vidya production industry is fucked economically, as is to be expected from a burgeoning industry.

>>334507358
This exactly. My previous argument is actually a bit outdated, free to play, pay to be special or pay to win is a totally new model. You can suck $10 per week out of a stay at home mum with that model.
>>
>>334510193
> not accountinf for population growth

You do realize the population has increased by billions, right?
>>
>>334509932
Sixth gen
PS2: 155m
Xbox: 22m
GCN: 24m
DC: 9m
Total: 210

PS3: 85m
360: 85m
Wii (including nongamers who left the market) 101m
Wii (just traditional Nintendo fans who buy their console, based on the trend each gen): 18m
Total (including nongamers): 271m
Total (without nongamers): 188m

PS4 (Expected): 135m
XB1 (Expected): 45m
WIU (Expected): 15m
Total (Expected): 195

So 210m -> 188m -> 195m

No decline there buddy.
>>
>>334510123

I meant MMOs. Considering WoW (which can be F2P by farming a moderate amount of gold) is in a steep decline, MMOs don't matter anymore.
>>
>>334493802
The number of active players for a single shitty game like LoL is several times higher than the number of people that even own PS4s and Xbones.
Stay delusional and assblasted, consolecuck.
>>
>>334511932
Turns out there are a lot of people in India and China who can't afford consoles.
>>
>>334510826
wtf.

did you just assume the expectations must be true 100%
>>
>>334494857
>Phone games are just generic flappy bird clones or endless runners where pay for unlock characters
Pic not related? Because all I see are ports of PC games, some multiplat ports, and games that look nothing like flappy bird and endless runners (save for Geometry Dash).
>>
It's all an ongoing process of natural selection. Right now Rockstar is the king of the hill, scrappy low-medium budget studios like From keep a dedicated following and make good use of resources, low budget scumbags are trying to squeeze more blood out of the open world survival market, and indie faggots are making pure garbage about pixelated trannies or some shit and occasionally one gets lucky and makes bank.
>>
File: 1460604273328.gif (998 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1460604273328.gif
998 KB, 250x251
>>334507368
My family on that side was already shattered by fuckwits, the few sensible ones pieced it back together then the next generation came along and refucked everything. I'm not even affiliated with anyone on that side besides my grandparents, so don't stress.

Anyway anon, you're great to talk to, and I do value your opinions. Thanks for your recommendations, I'll put them at the front of my backlog (as most of it currently is English or social studies for secondary school recommendations); if you contactfag me (email field), say something smart - that's a perfect filter for this place.

I have real life friends but I wouldn't mind an international e-pen pal with a few brain cells if you're down.

>making friends
>on 4chan
>on 4chan /v/
Maybe I should stop drinking before I post.
>>
>>334493159

What has Sony given us this generation?

Paid multiplayer when it didn't need it?
Console upgrades?
A bunch of ports?

It's literally no better than Microsoft if not worse.
>>
>Baby boomers won't drop dead or retire from their shitty mcjobs
>Young people can't get jobs because of this
>Need experience to get a job
>Need a job to get experience
>>
>>334512682
>next generation cycle
>no experience needed
>no qualification needed
>no social skills needed
>no anything skills needed

Hope you're looking forward to some retarded cunt who rubs his face incessantly when you take his phone off him
>>
>>334483764
Dark Souls 3 just sold half a million copies on PC. That's half as much as BB did in this amount of time, with 3 times as many platforms for people to buy it for
>>
>>334485384
Oh you wanted gameplay anon? Well you can have additional content for only $9.99! Or share this game on twitter, Facebook , and subscribe on YouTube and receive exclusive content!!
>>
>>334507319
And guess what? They stop playing it and ask for a laptop instead.

A laptop of the same price can play League and Minecraft.
>>
>>334512682
>baby boomer works at my job
>he's literally the worst employee there
>only still has a job because of his convenient availability
>>
>>334513159
>MUH PHONE ARGUMENT
Boomerfags are like broken records I swear.
>>
>>334513190
>DS3 on 3 times more platforms than a console exclusive

Fuck the fuck off fuckface
>>
>>334512682
I love this.

Entry-level positions here require senior level knowledge and 3-5 years experience.

Basically all entry-level means that they dont want to pay you much.
>>
>>334513332
On top of that, normies in high school and college can use that same laptop to take notes, do homework etc. A laptop is a better investment than a console, and it still plays games. Its the same reason the phone market is killing handhelds in the west.
>>
File: 1457579108825.jpg (17 KB, 392x236) Image search: [Google]
1457579108825.jpg
17 KB, 392x236
>>334482052
The traditional game industry isn't contracting. It just never grew in spite of PS1s and everything that came after selling tens of millions if not hundreds.

You really think all those dozens of millions buying COD every year were ever going to look at other games? Or when Halo was the killer app? Or everybody that bought GTAs? Or everybody playing MOBAs? Why people buying Xbones and PS4s would rather play titles they can get anywhere than the exclusives?

The "traditional" game audience, the kind of people that buy multiple titles a year, from non-annualized franchises, in different genres? They've never been more than 10 million at best.

The only issue here now is, is the post-360/PS3 budgets and development aren't exactly accommodating.
>>
>>334513383
>boomer
I deal with less 90s kid meme on Facebook every day cunt don't treat me like I've never suffered.

I made a joke about how we'll be interviewing induced ADD employees in 19 years time, how are you like 2 generations behind the joke anon?
>>
>>334495579
Also flash games are much better in every way
>>
>>334482052
>Do you think part of the reason the traditional game industry seems to be contracting is because young people don't have disposable income to buy games?

No. I think the only problem is that there is a severe lack of actual good games.
>>
>>334510826
>>PS4 (Expected): 135m
Are you kidding me?
>>
>>334482052
Millenials are fucked, none of them want to do shitty jobs because of special snowflake BS that was instilled in them over the 90's and 00's, and also because immigrants will do those awful jobs for pennies.

But most of them are too fucking stupid or socially retarded to get one of the limited high skills jobs.

the US will need to up it's welfare game to match the EU or there's going to be millions of unemployed angry young men.
>>
>>334491974
literally this. If devs wont to see an influx of sales they need to step out of their comfort zone which only the Japanese ever seem to do the west just wants to keep making generic FPS number 49547839873898 instead of fucking innovating on new cool ideas. People are sticking to the mainline FPS such as BF4 and CoD anyway so I don't see why every other developer wants a cut when there isn't one to be earned.
>>
>>334514393
Reminder that Homefront 2 is still getting made.
>>
>>334482052
The thing is, devs are now avoiding Oct/Nov release dates because the typical CoD/Battlefield/AssCreed launches in those months all around the same time which saps the sales of other games.

More devs are going for Spring/Summer time now because there's less competition.
>>
Next big crash when?
>>
I get the distinct impression that the industry is less about growing the userbase and now about fighting for the existing one. Publishers still think their shit can sell 50 million copies when the historical numbers are more or less stagnant.
>>
>>334514060
I'd actually argue that millenials (of which I'm part of) romanticize poverty and student lifestyle, so while many of us enroll for higher education, a lot of us wI'll stay for too long because of a comfy lifestyle.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.