[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Horror game reccomendations. So the only horror game I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Pyramid_Head.jpg (39 KB, 422x316) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid_Head.jpg
39 KB, 422x316
ITT: Horror game reccomendations.

So the only horror game I've ever played was Dead Space and I didn't even finish it because I got bored. I don't think Song of Saya counts.

So, what stands out as great/essential horror games to you, /v/? If possible, ones with themes centered around or based on loss of brain/body function would be appreciated as my number one fear is getting a bump on the noggin and being turned into a vegetable for the rest of my life.
>>
I don't think there's any games that simulate being a vegetable.

But you might wanna try Resident Evil's Remake which is available now for Steam/PS3/PS4/360/Xbone. However it's an acquired taste so if something actiony like Dead Space bored you, you'll probably hate oldschool RE, or any Silent Hill game from 1 to 3.

Another game I can recommend would be Alien: Isolation.

Others will tell you to check out Amnesia, but I prefer Penumbra: Black Plague which is by the same devs.
>>
>>321995165

I like the look of the gameplay of the earlier Resident Evils. I don't think that me finding Dead Space boring will effect how I feel about other games.

The thing about Dead Space is that I never felt like something new or legitimately terrifying was going to happen. There was the odd spook here and there and the run of the mill gore/body horror. But after I killed the big thing in food processing, I believe, I realized the game was following a pretty predictable pattern and kind of put it down.
>>
>>321994054
>>321997078
Silent Hill -series, the original 4 games that is, are essential to any horror fan. They are much more psychological in their way of horror, not relying on jump-scares but creepy atmosphere and disturbing imagery. They are known for their gorgeous soundtracks and fairly deep stories.

The original Resident Evil games are obviously worth giving a shot. Especially the superb Resident Evil Remake is just outstanding survival-horror title everyone should give a shot. It upgrades and replaces the original RE1 in all ways, and is genuinely atmospheric and creepy at best, also demanding thinking your next move.

Other recommendations of mine:
-Penumbra ep1 & 2
-Condemned: Criminal Origins
-Afraid Of Monsters: DC (HL1 mod)
-Cry Of Fear
-Fatal Frame -games
-STALKER trilogy (not pure horror, but creepy)
-Underhell: Chapter 1 (HL2 mod)
-Scratches
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jul 2015 SML.png (2 MB, 1296x3288) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jul 2015 SML.png
2 MB, 1296x3288
>>321998831
Continuing, in case you're interested of giving the SH1-4 a shot, without having to look up the PS2 originals, you can play them on your PC right here and now:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 torrent: Kickass torrents

And in case someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like DaemonTools Lite to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
>>
Silent Hill is something you absolutely have to play, and I'd recommend 2 to begin with. It's a unique story that's not very connected to the original or the sequels and it's amazing, one of the greatest video gaming experiences ever.
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1080
>>321999591
I can sign all of this, but I really, and I mean REALLY would recommend playing the SH games in the release order.

For starters, I consider SH1 to offer a much better constructed introduction to the series, getting "to the point" much quicker, while also providing a perfect blend of terror and mindfuck. Next, the often implied lack of connection between SH1 and 2 is bollocks, and if anything, playing #1 first may help you push through the beginning of the sequel, which is often said to be quite boring.

Finally, there's the whole thing with the obvious visual upgrade between SH1 and 2, the latter being a PS2 game. Gameplay-wise SH1-3 play identically, but you know how much the graphix can bother some people. Which is quite silly, since the Silent Hill games always had some of the best visuals of their corresponding platforms, and the most important aspect, the audio work, is just awesome in the originals.
>>
Siren series, start with the first one on ps2.
>>
>>321994054
Yeah, Dead Space is overrated crap. Played it like 30 mins on Hard, got bored, never touched it again.

The biggest problem with post-2004 "horror" games is that they're either third person shooters with a horror theme, or these way too common "hide and run" games.

Try REmake, Silent Hill 1-3, Condemned, and the numerous Half-Life mods (AoM, CoF...)

>>322001618
I might've liked those if it wasnt for the terrible English dub in the 1st one, and the overall restricted and clunky gameplay.
>>
>>322001618
Siren 2 is so good, couple of really terrifying moments

>MIIIISAAAAWAAAAA
>>
>>322002659
I enjoy that kind of clunkiness because it increases the tension and highlights the fact that you are controlling random regular people.
>>
>>321994054
Clock Tower
>>
>>322003153
I'm more referring to the four continuous "Press TRIANGLE to do X", and the very tightly scripted maps that demand you to do things EXACTLY like the devs wanted you to, without giving you proper hints of the goals.

The whole house section in S3 is a good example; I died like a dozen times, because I was somehow supposed to know to use the Cuckoo clock to distract one zombie with a gun.
>>
>>322003832
yeah some of the puzzles are awful and I admit that I had to look for some direction in a walkthrough, still they are amazing horror games and I wish more people gae them a try.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.