[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mirrors-edge-catalyst-dev-explains-why-abilities-a/1100-6438875/

Red alert, how can we raise a big enough stink to stop this advanced fuckery?

I've never been this astonishingly autistically pissed off about video games, this cannot be allowed to pass

I want mirror's edge to be good and I am willing to fight for that with EVERYTHING I HAVE
>>
File: 1439551360734.jpg (74 KB, 526x567) Image search: [Google]
1439551360734.jpg
74 KB, 526x567
>>334465364
Whats the problem?
>>
>>334465669
haha wtf is that cat driving a car??????
>>
>>334465364
Reminds me of THI4F's development choices
It's gonna be a bigger bomb than i thought
>>
>>334465364
DROPPED
>>
Why the fuck does every game have to have ability trees nowadays what the fuck. This is like having to unlock braking in a racing game.
>>
>>334465364
Fuck off autist.
>>
>>334465364
b-b-back off!!
>>
>"We’ve got a different control scheme. It’s a little more intuitive and fluid. Part of having this progression in there is to allow you to be able to master your tools, and to give you a little bit of breathing room so you feel confident and excited about what you can do."
Holy shit, do they think we're toddlers or something? Give us 20 minutes or a tutorial level and we'll have mastered everything.
>>
>>334465669
>certain skills locked behind xp unlocks
>the designers have to make the map in a certain way so people without the unlocks can still traverse it
>>
>>334465882
good. I'll take the original over a dozen anita-ridden remakes
>>
>>334465364
>I want mirror's edge to be good

In that case wouldn't making it unlike the first one be a good idea?
>>
>>334465997
That's not necessarily true. And anyway, a lot of the upgrades are just about making you go faster
>>
>>334466021
no
>>
>>334465997
>unlocking skills unlocks new way to go around the map, unlocking secret areas and new parts
>somehow this is bad

Fuck off.
>>
>>334465997
>the designers have to make the map in a certain way so people without the unlocks can still traverse it

wow its almost like this game is open world or something
>>
>>334465364
It was never good to begin with.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 200x133
>>334465767
no, he's just kitten around
he's too much of a pussy

seriously though, this image gave me paws and I wonder: what sort of car does a cat even drive if they could?

my guess? a go fuck yourself
>>
>>334465364
And how do you know it wont be?
>>
>>334466231
haha I don't get the last joke though
>>
File: 3.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
I don't understand this mentality. If you want people to gradually learn advanced mechanics, don't lock it behind experience based leveling systems that you have to wait a while to access. Just give the tutorial for each ability gradually throughout the game so that new players only learn of complicated mechanics once they've reached a point of the game where they know how to play. Locking abilities just makes it where people who have already played or just want to blitz through levels (a massive appeal of the original game) have to wait for hours before they can really feel competent.

Who am I kidding though, this is probably just a way to increase the hours provided by the game and give people pseudo-RPG systems that everyone seems to forcefully mash into their game because it's so popular. That or the developers genuinely do not understand what made the original game so good. Either way, this is getting more and more shitty as information comes out. Can't say I'm surprised though, anything tied to EA eventually turns to shit. Though it typically takes three games instead of two to become total shit.
>>
>>334465364
>GIVE ME EVERYTHING FROM THE START
>I don't want to have to unlock shit!
>give me newgame+ on the first playthrough!
>I want to go everywhere right off the bat
>I want the best weapon after the tutorial level
>I want the fastest car right on the first race.
>I want every fighters and every move just for installing the game
>I want rare gear without completing shit
>I want an achievement for launching the game
>>
As long as unlocking isn't a points-based grind, I'm okay with this.

Just make it so side missions unlock moves which then unlock areas/shortcuts.
>>
>using exp to unlock new abilities
what's the problem exactly? Unless it's overly grindy to unlock skills isn't this fucking normal?
>>
File: 1460736060825.png (370 KB, 842x425) Image search: [Google]
1460736060825.png
370 KB, 842x425
>>334465364
whats next? unlockable jumps that 25% higher?
>>
>>334466460
>le strawman face
>>
>>334465364
>I've never been this astonishingly autistically pissed off about video games, this cannot be allowed to pass
Just let it go, anon. It's EA after all.

If you like the idea of a proper and good Mirror's Edge so much why don't you start making a game that is like ME, but much better?
>>
ok to break down why I am such an enflamed butthole over this, I'm going to get into why I hate this

Mirror's edge 1: Hey, you run jump and grab! That's the game!

Mirror's edge 2: OPEN WORLD! UPGRADE TREES! UNLOCK THE ABILITY TO -FUCKING ROLL- YOU ASTONISHING IMBECILE! IMMERSION? WHAT?

I want mirror's edge to be about running and climbing
I want to be tiny asian parkour woman leaping across rooftops and storm drains, dodging bullets and always moving

what I don't want it to be about is some girl learning how to do a basic thing like rolling because some ass decided they just had to have another garbage game design fad shoehorned in

fuck you ea
f u c k y o u
>>
>>334466648
Wait, what does the player have by default in ME2? without unlocks I mean.
>>
File: 1362356070117.jpg (20 KB, 244x225) Image search: [Google]
1362356070117.jpg
20 KB, 244x225
>>334466648
>I want to be tiny asian parkour woman
This shouldn't have made me laugh as much as it did.
>>
>>334466489
No, you're unlocking skills that were already given to you in the original game.

Stuff like leaping over and sliding under things are now locked away when they were basic movements in the original
>>
>>334466460

>I want my success to be determined by my autistic grinding skills
>>
File: 138145466764.jpg (5 KB, 248x200) Image search: [Google]
138145466764.jpg
5 KB, 248x200
>>334465364
This doesn't bother me. It gives a sense of progression. Same mechanics were in Dying Light and that was pretty good.

After all, this isn't a linear game. Its open world with missions. If you had all the abilities at the start, there would be nothing to really work towards.
>>
>>334466460
first game had all the abilities unlocked from the start you dumb faggot.
>>
>>334466801
dying light's parkour was ass
>>
If the moves weren't locked behind a skills tree how could you give people Parkour Points and exclusive moves for pre-ordering and buying them off the store? Think before you post OP
>>
File: 1458708397619.png (278 KB, 992x994) Image search: [Google]
1458708397619.png
278 KB, 992x994
>>334466840
>>
>>334466460
So wanting the ability to play a fast, competent character with similar abilities to what made the first game so fun is the same mentality as wanting the best weapons, cars, and gear instantly?

Goddamn that's a gross exaggeration.

>>334466489
It just kinda limits what you can do for a long time. In the first game a giant appeal was, after learning all the mechanics, you could fucking blitz through levels. But if you have to unlock abilities that appeal is gone and you being good at the game is irrelevant since you have to wait for a long time before your character matches your skill.

It just somewhat messes up that fun aspect of the original for a system that really isn't required. If they wanted an RPG system they could've made it where you unlock new gear, health upgrades, something like that. But locking running abilities slows the game, which speed is kinda a big selling point.
>>
>>334466801
then why make it open world in the first place?
>>
File: 1431028988391.jpg (28 KB, 332x363) Image search: [Google]
1431028988391.jpg
28 KB, 332x363
>>334466801
>progression

so you liked tomb raider AOD as well
>>
>>334466460
cease the strawman

my issue is that the ability tree is useless and is a complete dive from what the orignal game WAS

in the original game you had three central things:
You run, you jump, you climb, you fight

This is arbitrarily locking core abilities, which both breaks the immersion of the experience and adds another layer to the gameplay which contrary to popular belief is not always a good thing

Mirror's edge was good because it was simple, this is adding a load of complexity that a game like mirror's edge doesn't need

To draw a comparison here, it'd be like taking smash bros and inserting the need to double-tap to run or something.
>>
>>334466906
because a vocal proportion of the people who played the first game were saying how ME would be better if it was open world
>>
>>334466728
You can walk forward
>>
>>334466906
its EA. everything is open world and multiplayer now.
Who knows, mitebgud.
>>334466938
never played it.
>>
>>334466801
>It gives a sense of progression

Why does every game need RPG elements these days? This industry has gone to such shit.
>>
>>334466801
Dying Light's mechanics were fun, but limited. Having to stop and breathe or not being able to do basic abilities for a long time made it where parkour wasn't as fast/smooth as it could've been. But that's not the entire appeal of the game. Combat and survival also were giant mechanics.

But with Mirror's Edge combat should be discouraged and survival isn't a thought if you go fast. Just because the system worked well in one game doesn't mean it would in another. And seeing as how Mirror's Edge is all about going fast in the most agile way possible locking that shit sucks.
>>
>open world
>faith looks like a man to keep feminists happy
>skills tree
>no good mercenaries sequel
>no more burnout
Why can't EAs office just burn down with everyone inside it?
>>
Back to the core message of the thread though
who do I mail to make this not happen
who do I yell at
I am a directionless mass of roiling MAD, someone with a brain point me and others upset about this to an email address or a phone number or what ever means of communication I can use to tell them this is a poor decision
>>
>>334466865
>same 4 houses copy pasted and recolored all over the fucking map
>99% of obstacles are completed in the exact same way as a result
>the fucking grappling

HURR BAIT BAIT STOP DISAGREEING WITH ME
>>
>>334467032
Progression is what games are all about.

problem>struggle>solution
>>
Level & unlock systems in non-RPG games are easy ways to pad the game and keep the player addicted and entertained for a long time, because tracking the EXP gain is like being constantly rewarded. It also gives the illusion that the game has depht.
See: phone games, idle games, among others.
>>
>>334466964
>you had three central things
>lists 4 things
Kek
>>
File: 1405976768623.jpg (53 KB, 316x470) Image search: [Google]
1405976768623.jpg
53 KB, 316x470
>>334465364
>EA
>>
>>334467190
I have no excuse beyond "I am tired and mad"
>>
Honestly I don't really mind unlockable skills as long as its not a huge grind.

Apparently it only takes an hour or so to get all the skills you had in ME anyway, so I don't see how its a big deal.
>>
>>334467130
Progression doesn't require RPG elements. Progression can be shown through the player's own improved ability at mastering in-game mechanics over the course of the game's events. That or gaining new gear, new aesthetic additions, completing tasks, and more.

RPG mechanics thrown in are a cheap way to show "progression" and can often times feel underdeveloped because it's not an RPG.
>>
>>334466460

You're obviously a youngfag. You're so used to games having an unlock system, you think having everything from the start is "cheating". It's quite sad actually.

The ony reason the unlock system is so widespread, is because it feeds your reward system in the brain.
>>
>>334467342
Thanks for replying to that guy. You said it well. Games used to know how to do progression the right way. Now everything needs to be a pseudo RPG.
>>
>All this kids ITT thinking have an unlock tree is a basic requirement for a game

NEWFAGS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>334467325
Just sucks that an hour of the game will be spent with an objectively worse playing character compared to the first game. And that new, interesting movement mechanics are locked behind shit that takes even longer to get. Instead of playing the game and being able to immediately explore/master all the new mechanics we have to wait for god knows how long. Normally that wouldn't bother me in an RPG, but Mirror's Edge is not an RPG.
>>
>>334467473
everything is an rpg now.
>>
>>334467032

Because of what >>334467365 said. It feeds addiction. Having an unlock system can make people play games they don't even enjoy. Look at cookie clicker for fuck's sake.
>>
>>334467342
I actually wouldn't mind finding gear that increased gave abilities or solved puzzles to get that gear - problem is: I imagine that sort of thing must feel dated for most developers.

I imagine if you asked for those elements, they'd say take your nostalgia goggles off.

Overall though, I still don't mind RPG elements if it's open world.
>>
File: 4VkmQ.jpg (169 KB, 451x600) Image search: [Google]
4VkmQ.jpg
169 KB, 451x600
Eh whatever.
I'm not the biggest fan of it but it's not like this is going to massively impede on how I'll enjoy this game.
>>
>>334467673
this is /v/. you need to blow everything out of proportion.
Take note
THE GAME IS LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!
>>
>>334467534
Which is a shame. I fucking love RPGs, but it's really annoying to see people throw in some upgrade systems and say, "It's an RPG now! Look, you can level up!" Not every game has to be an RPG. Mirror's Edge can just be an awesome running game, it doesn't have to be anything else to me.
>>
>>334465364
This is really retarded
A game like this doesnt need its core movement mechanics hidden behind xp tree bullshit
>>
File: 1426674882558.jpg (19 KB, 271x305) Image search: [Google]
1426674882558.jpg
19 KB, 271x305
>people are this emotionally invested in a banal AAA game

Get a life
>>
>>334467075
No one. There's nothing you can do. It's EA, they shit on everything they're involved with. Give up, move on. They won't change anything because of a few loud people online.
>>
>>334468053
>asking people to get a life on /v/ of all places
So...... It's over huh........ The normies......... Really have won..........................................
>>
>>334468053
>People are emotionally invested in a sequel to one of the best games of last gen

It's baffling, isn't it?
>>
>>334468053
yes, I am emotionally connected to that one time EA didn't completely fuck up
>>
File: laughter.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
laughter.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>334468206
>one of the best games of last gen

Children aren't allowed here you know?
>>
>>334468363
You LITERALLY cannot name one (1) better game from the 360/PS3 era.
>>
>>334468406
Demon's soul
>>
>>334468406
cease
this is bait
>>
>>334468053
>MA
>AAA game
>>
>movement
>combat
>>
Collect 2000 xp to unlock "TURN 90 DEGREE" talent!

Collect 5000 xp to unlock "RAISE YOUR LEGS" talent!
>>
>>334465997
>multiple paths through an open world game
Holy shit, call the cops.
>>
>>334466460
>"i don't know shit about mirror's edge" the post
>>
There is no need to discuss anything here. It's an EA game. Don't buy that trash.
>>
>>334466460

>I want every fighters and every move just for installing the game

For a fighting game? Ideally. There's a reason SFxTekken fell off a cliff into irrelevance.
>>
>>334465364
>SJW story
>characters won't shut the fuck up
>abilities to unlock
>yellow shitty spots to discover
>fetch quests
>no guns
>shitty combat system with terrible animations
>less bodyawareness

Did you do that on purpose EA ?
Do you enjoy it ?
>>
>EA
>DICE
Why do you care?
>>
>>334465364
Why? Fuck EA man. The first game is fresh as fuck, why add this unlock skills shit? This isn't an RPG.
>>
>>334466505
>The fun factor about ME was in his freerunning vibe.
>You know have to unlock basic actions in order to have fun later.
Who thought this was a bright idea ?
>>
This is because Anita complained about the controls being too hard in the first game. Inb4 someone says she wasn't officially employed by EA and that she couldn't possibly have affected the game. Anita did complain about the controls and she also has given seminars to EA employees.
>>
DUDE EVERYTHING'S AN ACTION RPG LMAO
>>
I just think it's going to be bad because shit like tucking your legs and jumping off walls are not base abilities.

Theoretically, you could never buy them, and so the game will never have levels complex enough to require them.
>>
welp

whatever hope i had for this game has just evaporated

>you have to actually unlock basic movements like coiling
>>
E.A. has always been an evil company but for some reason it was awesome between 2008-2009.

I was playing through The Saboteur earlier in the year and just started Godfather Part II.

Great games!
>>
File: jungle-strike-usa-europe.png (309 KB, 350x494) Image search: [Google]
jungle-strike-usa-europe.png
309 KB, 350x494
>>334473494
>E.A. has always been an evil company

underage fag detected, 16 bit EA were great
>>
Where's the unlockable mattress?
>>
>>334473746

jesus, you've got to go a fair bit back don't you?

why not just go all the way and post Skate or Die?

Besides E.A. went to shit shortly after that when it bought Origin.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.