[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we make 'Fallout' a good series again? Suggest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 15
File: FO01_Overseer_Cinematic.png (344 KB, 660x489) Image search: [Google]
FO01_Overseer_Cinematic.png
344 KB, 660x489
How do we make 'Fallout' a good series again?

Suggest content and features that would be appropriate and consistent for a hypothetical 3rd canonical Fallout game.
>>
No.
>>
By putting an end to the series
>>
>>334433624
FO2 had lots of bullshit, but calling it non-canon is a bit harsh IMO.

Anyway, pull the plug. Make another series. Only make a Fallout game if the idea is really, really good, not just because you wanna make one.
>>
superpower flight

not enough dragons

seven types of transformation trees

microtransaction ammo

set during the pre war invasion of kosovo while investigating for biological weapons

no white people
>>
Remove voice acting for both the PC and NPCs. All the money and space saved can be used to write much more interesting dialogue with more branching paths.
>>
>>334433624
New Vegas was the third canonical Fallout game.
>>
>>334433624
>How do we make Fallout a good series again?
Have Bethesda hand it over to a developer that can actually make RPGs.
>>
After the huge success of the causualised fallout 4 we will never see another good Fallout game
>>
>>334433995
Except good VA can really enhance a character. Not every single NPC needs it, but key ones do.

PC VA is a dumb fucking idea, though.
>>
>>334434132

But which one's that?

Bioware hasn't made a decent RPG since KOTOR, Obsidian can write but cannot into decent mechanics unless someone else codes them, Larian Studios doesn't know enough Americana to do the series justice and Harebrained Schemes is too busy with Shadowrun stuff.
>>
>>334434197
True you can have some there maybe for major characters, but ever since Oblvion Bethesda has had this thing where literally EVERYTHING needs to be voiced.

I think NWN was a good example of what they could have, major characters had VA for the primary parts of their dialogue and everything else was just text.
>>
>>334433624
give it to anyone other than Bethesda. Someone with real RPG experience.

I would prefer it to be an Action RPG with alternating third-person and first-person camera modes but i could do with isometric as well.
>>
>>334434269
Well Fallout never had decent COMBAT mechanics, so Obsidian is the natural fit.

I mean, they have Boyarsky, Cain, Sawyer.
>>
>>334434483

>Fallout never had decent COMBAT mechanics

Except they did, at least compared to most RPG combat mechanics.

The only possible complaint is that they put too much emphasis on AGL as the main combat stat, but even then you could get around that with builds.
>>
>>334433624
It's pretty good at the moment. It's not like 3 or 4 take a massive shit on the source material.
>>
>>334434669
No they didn't. The animations were gory and great, the text descriptions were amusing. Other than that - no stances, over-reliance on crits, shoot the eyes 99% of the time, aggro a city and wait a couple of minutes for your turn even with combat animations on hard. Ehhh. Vegas wasn't that bad, really.
>>
File: Fallout 3 Ladders.png (545 KB, 1069x915) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 3 Ladders.png
545 KB, 1069x915
>>334434669
they had good death animations and sound effects in the original games.

the animations especially with Bethesda's ancient engine were abysmal and unsuited for the modern era. still are.
>>
>>334433624
Just remake 1 and 2 with HD textures.
Done.
Should be able to make them really realistic as well since tech has come a long way since then.
>>
hire people that can actually animate would be a good start.

transfer pete hines far far away where he has no input on the game whatsoever,
>>
>>334434907
How can they fuck up this bad?
They could code ladders in a few minutes if they didn't care about the quality, and we KNOW they don't care about quality.

>Teleport player to the top of the ladder, take cxontrol away from the player
>Play animation of PC climbing ladder while camera follows it
>Give control back to the player once the animation is finished

There's about a million other better ways they could make ladders but this is about the simplest and would have taken literal minutes.
>>
>>334434994
>textures
wut

>>334435043
>hines
He's a PR guy.

Emil is lead writer for FO3, Skyrim and FO4.

Something needs to be done to him.
>>
>>334433851
/thread
>>
>>334434483
>Well Fallout never had decent COMBAT mechanics

It was a decent mix of turn base and tactics. I liked it a lot more than most rpgs.
>>
>>334433624

A better character editor for one.

Faction uniforms actually meaning something.

Make the campaign short but intended to be replayed alot.

Don't let Bethesda do the programming.
>>
More Skill related speech options

More Trait options

Have the ability to be a Ghoul with the inherit trait of having radiation heal you but receive -2 Charisma

Make Unarmed/Melee one Skill

Luck Perk that has a chance that enemy weapons jam or grenades/explosives become duds

Divide Guns to Small and Big Guns. Add the strength determines accuracy of gun thing from New Vegas and make Big Guns refer to any gun that requires a Strength greater then 5 to effectively aim.

No more jumping so you can't just spam jump your way over mountains

Companions give you both positive and negative effects depending on their personality and skills

Companions can level up to learn new perks

Charisma determine how many companions you can have at your party

Remove Good/Bad Karma system

Add vehicles

Driving is now a Skill, related to Perception

Story about NCR expanding East meeting East BoS expanding west.
>>
>>334435159
>a decent mix of turn base and tactics
I'm stumped. What's that supposed to mean? A mix of turn-based (a type of combat) and tactics (making short-term combat decisions)? It was a tactical turn-based combat, but there are not a lot of tactics and the winning one is usually obvious. That's a problem.

There are some funny cheesy things to do, though, like locking people in a building and then abusing lack of interrupts to kill them all through windows.
>>
>>334435314

>epic serious brutal ripantear 2016?
>what is Bloody Mess
>>
>>334435314
They barely get 12 year olds into Fallout as it is, too much effort for the younglings.
>>
reboot fallout
it's gotten way too post-post-post apocalyptic at this point
keep all the good factions like the master, the enclave, ceasars legion
make it an actual struggle to survive for most of the game
like how you feel in fallout 2 before you scavange your first raider fight and kill your first arms dealer
fallout past mid-game is always way too easy
give it to a hypothetical decent rpg developer who isn't bethesda or obsidian
>>
>>334435391
>>334435409
Sorry anons, I thought I was still in the DOOM thread.
>>
>>334435497
>it's gotten way too post-post-post apocalyptic at this point
But that's what I like about it to be honest. Not many post apocalypse media ask the question "What happens once we get over the survival aspect and start thriving and expanding?"
>>
>>334435497

>it's gotten way too post-post-post apocalyptic at this point
>I don't understand the point of Fallout: the post

go play STALKER if you want your scavenger survival game.
>>
>>334435497
I have to say it is too long after the war to be post apocalyptic anymore (why'd 1 have to be 100 years instead of 20 or 50?) Also the True Survival mode for 4 gives a good struggle, although resources and weapons are still too common.
>>
File: 1457574285603.gif (393 KB, 266x200) Image search: [Google]
1457574285603.gif
393 KB, 266x200
>>334435497
>this post
>>
Do the retarded space elevator shit Black Isle had planned for Van Buren and end the series blasting the shit out of the planet
>>
>>334435556
That makes sense, also yes to your comment about DOOM.
>>
>>334435259
>Add super mutant to ghoul
>Fuck no, unarmed and Melee should be separate. Bethesda is already trying to gank my punching needs
>Meh, there aren't that many mountains in fallout. Jumping is fine and I like spamming jump when I'm bored and just walking
>You saw what happened last time they removed karma, no consequences for anything
>No fucking cars
>Make wild animals more common and not just MILELURKS MILELURKS MILELURKS DEATHCLAWS MOLE RATS DEATHCLAWS MOLE RATS
>I want some fucking Yao Gui and rad gators for Pete's sake
>>
>>334435141
>>textures
>wut
You know what I mean. Im not hip to your lingo
>>
>>334435627
Agreed. I always enjoyed that about Fallout. It's interesting to explore the different ways that society could reform after an apocalypse.
>>
>>334435497
you can just make a new game in a new location and have it take place around the same time as Fallout 1.
>>
>>334435671
running around completely destroying everyone in power armor isn't fun, and the storyline is at the point where it makes no sense to have unlooted buildings and trash everywhere anymore
>>
>>334435921
You're asking for an engine overhaul. Same story but on the newer game engine?
>>
>>334433624
What if they made you the Overseer?
>>
>>334435867
>Add super mutant to ghoul
That could work. Same thing applies but added benefit of +3 Strength and -3 Intelligence?
>Fuck no, unarmed and Melee should be separate. Bethesda is already trying to gank my punching needs
Punching is usually useless anon and only work for very specific cases. Just combine them, you could still have the same perks.
>Meh, there aren't that many mountains in fallout. Jumping is fine and I like spamming jump when I'm bored and just walking
Yes, but if really fucks with the companions AI
>>You saw what happened last time they removed karma, no consequences for anything
Reputation system nigga, only thing that matters. I don't want the game to tell what's good or bad, just who I'm pissing off.
>No fucking cars
Why not?
>>
>>334436167
Fallout Shelter.
>>
>>334436096
Fuck man I dont know. Basically what I mean is keep the gameplay exactly the same as 1 and 2 but make it look amazing.
Youre speaking to someone who knows nothing about "game engines", so forgive me for making retarded statements.
>>
>>334436307
Where do you think I got the idea?
>>
>>334436315
So the same as before except better looking? A turn based RPG?
>>
I like the way Fallout 4 looks and feels but Jesus remove the voiced protag. The writing and dialogue choices are just abysmal
>>
>>334436534
nah... needs to be horse based combat.
thats the only thing retarded about fallout. humans walking everywhere when really human would tame beasts to ride.
>>
>>334436227
>1st
Also make it where certain towns won't let you in if you're an X and traders and quest givers will reward you more handsomely if you're X and gank you off if you're Y
>2nd
Punching is an alternative to Melee. It's not supposed to be practical or useful, it's supposed to be fun. I find grinding BoS apart with a blade fist is fun. Don't gank my groove anon.
>3rd
Maybe Bethesda should learn how to fix that. Not my fault they can't program
>4th
Yeah. I agree with you there
>5th
It ruins the feel of danger in the wasteland. You're supposed to be scared that a Yao Gui or some super mutants are going to gank you around the next corner. If you have a car that defeats the purpose. A mutated horse or a shitty motorcycle? I'll accept that. Not Mad Max
>>
>>334436592
>remove the voiced protag
Bethesda is garbo. Count on them removing more RPG elements before fixing old ones they've ruined.
>>
>>334436765
It would appear your arse is smarter than you.
>>
>>334436592
SSSSSHHHHHHHAAAAAAUUUUUNNNNNN
>>
Never allow Bethsenda to be involved again, let obsidian handle the series since they do an ok job of it and give them plenty of time to finish the god damm game.

Slap the motherfucker who thought terrible voice acting for the protagonist was worth losing varied dialogue selection.

Basically take new vegas and make it better.
>>
>>334436876
arse?
harse?
horse?
orse.
>>
>>334437070
Obsidian is shit at actually making the game though. Just let them write/make some suggestions.
>>
Game happens in the Michigan Wasteland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Gary, and a desert where Lake Michigan used to be with some little oasis towns crowded around puddles.

You grew up without parents in a small orphanage, before falling into a life of crime. However your redemption arrives with your brother who comes to get you in a car that he has running. You discover that the orphanage is now under threat and only you can save it. The final mission would involve driving into the ruins of Chicago battling Illinois Nazis on a mission from God.
>>
>>334437210
Suppose since New Vegas was basically a fallout 3 expansion pack, I'd like to see a collaboration between Bethsenda and Obsidian.
I really disliked fallout 3 and fallout 4 I was expecting nothing and yet I was still fucking disappointing.

I don't know what I love about New Vegas but it is not the quality of the gameplay or animations, I just love playing it and trying out different things each time.
One reason I fucking hated Fallout 4 because you were forced to be the good guy or asshole at best.
>>
>>334437349
Is there a strange connection to Fallout and Blues Brothers I never knew or is this connection you gave the two just random nonsense?
>>
>>334436835
>Not knowing that there's a car in 2
>Not knowing that Fallout was largely inspired by MM
>>
>>334437441
Vegas has good actual variety in pretty much everything. Skills, quests, weapons, factions.
>>
Either let people that done Fallout 1, 2, or NV, like Tim Cain and the the Obsidian/Black Isle Crew, or just kill it. Bethesda has show numerous of times they are NOT competent in making Fallout games.

>>334437210
>>334437441
I fail to see how that is relevant when the fucking Engine Bethesda keep using is fucking shit.
>>
>>334437441
The lack of choice in 4 is a problem, but everything else about it is great. Game balance, keeps with the lore, combat is good, lots of fun shit to do etc. They should bring back reliance on SPECIAL and RP however.
>>
>>334437564
I find the juxtaposition of the Blues Brothers and a Mad Max style Fallout Game amusing.
>>
File: 1460200237284.jpg (92 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
1460200237284.jpg
92 KB, 459x612
>>334437736
Oh really?
>>
>>334437913
It feels like an inside joke.
I'm sure it's funny to you but I don't get it.

That said with how many movie references in Fallout 2 I was almost sure you were referencing something there and if not it probably does and I just missed it.
>>
>>334437818
Also revert back to the older dialogue system. Although the voicing is cute it's severely limiting. Perhaps the old version but voiced with more than one voice type would be preferable.
>>
>>334435136
Seriously FPS's have been doing ladders for years why is it such an issue, if it can be done in half life 1 it can be done here or is gamebryo just that bad.
>>
>>334438775

>is gamebryo just that bad.

It is. It works well for certain games (Bully Scholarship Edition and Catherine for example) but for a game designed around having shitloads of interactive physics objects it was terrible.
>>
>>334435252
>Make the campaign short but intended to be replayed alot.
No they should do it the way the originals did and have the main quest be large but mostly uneventful and requires the main character to visit all the in game locations and get cought up in the other quests on the way, to the point that you forget that the main quest is even a thing.
>>
>>334436062
Well yeah but last time they took all the unlooted building out people complained that the map was uninteresting.
>>
>>334438887
gamebyro itself as fine. what bethesda built on gamebyro is what's terrible and gives it a completely undeserved reputation
>>
>>334435770
100 years is enough for the major radiation storms to die down and people to have progressed enough that the world is not just small villages barley getting by.
>>
>>334439253
thats why fallout needs to be less civilized
>>
>>334435989
I think that was the plan for 3 but then they realized that they couldn't have the BoS and the Enclave
>>
>>334439354
Yeah but that and the 60 years to 2 really screwed over the post apocalyptic aspects of the next games. They're happening too long after the war for it to still be relevant.
>>
>>334437616
>the car was purely for travel and nothing else
It would only be ok if you just used it for fast fast travel like in fallout 2
>>
>>334439440

Except that the concept has already existed.

If you want uncivilized Fallout, there's Gorky 17, STALKER SoC/CS/CoP, Wasteland 1/2, NEO Scavenger, Mad Max and several others.

Fallout is about a world rebuilding and succeeding, not about survival of the fittest in a pure wasteland.
>>
>>334433624
>hypothetical 3rd canonical Fallout game.
New Vegas already exists. We need a 4th Fallout game.
>>
>>334439737
Why not make Cars a rarity for only the high class and require lots of gas to run?
>>
>>334433995
I agree big time but now that full voice acting is standard we can never go back.
>>
>>334439919
*Fusion Cores.
>>
>>334438318
Their is both a Blues Brothers and Mad Max reference in 2 so that might be it.
>>
>>334439816
fallout 2 level of civilization works fine, with new vegas and fallout 4 levels of civilization it makes no sense that the wasteland is still a wasteland
>>
Give Obsidian the rights.
>>
>>334439640
That's the idea Fallout was always intended to be a post-post-apocalyptic setting.
>>
>>334440017

At least with New Vegas, they explained that the quarry where they get the materials for rebuilding has been overrun with Deathclaws, which means that they can't get the shit needed for rebuilding, plus the NCR is known to be overburdened trying to maintain order as it is, much less the infrastructure.

I do agree that there's certainly much more grunge than there ought to be for a semi-rebuilt civilization, but at the very least there's some reasonable explanations.
>>
>>334440261
it feels alot less immersive when everything's on the same map within walking distance of each other
in the 2d fallouts the big world map made it feel more hostile
>>
>>334439919
Well in 2 the car ran on energy weapon ammunition.
>>
>>334434907
I actually believe Toddward on this one. Beth's engines are such horribly coded, buggy pieces of shit that adding any other details or mechanics might just cause the game to implode.
>>
The Enclave is back, baby and you can join them!
>>
>>334439979
Fuck you
>>
>>334440616
todd pls go
>>
>>334440446
In the old style NV would have just been the city with 3 different maps, and their would have been 8 other location around the state, it would have been nice.
>>
>>334440017
>it makes no sense that the wasteland is still a wasteland
I always figured that had more to do with the beast mutants than what humans do. You have giant radioactive things five times their normal size, the whole circle of life is fucked. Rad roaches and rad flies eat any unprotected plants that start to grow back, and poison the soil where they die. the entire food chain needs to be reconstructed from the ground up before the place approaches anything less than a wasteland
>>
>>334440446
Increasing the distance to everything just because you want it to become more believable will hurt the game. I would rather have a more contentpacked universe that takes 30 minutes to walk from one end to another, than a 2 hour walk but with nothing in it. See the dilemma between Lost Alpha and the Original STALKERs when it came to level design with cars.
>>
>>334440252
I might be explaining it wrong. My problem is that it doesn't feel like the wild badlands that it used to. Instead with the success and spread of the NCR, Brotherhood and Enclave the wasteland feels small. All new factions are implemented to oppose them, and usually don't seem to run on very long. The threats from the old games (mutants and communities dying from lack of resources) suddenly don't seem to be a problem for most. Instead of a Super Mutant army, a strange and frankly alien force, they're just tougher shooters and melee.

Basically throw in some hard 'lose' conditions. Piss off too many powerful people and/or fail to protect something in time and face the consequences. Like 1 and 2 where because of resource constraints of the wasteland you could end up dying. Now the stories factions are too big to fail. Sure you blow up the majority of their forces, but apparently enough escaped to regroup.
>>
>>334433624
Give it to Obsidian again and this time don't let Bethesda intentionally do a poor job on the QA so they don't have to pay a bonus.
>>
>>334440645
I'm not even kidding, lore wise the cars weren't gas.
>>
File: big iron.jpg (264 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
big iron.jpg
264 KB, 661x716
>>334433995
Ah come on. Don't be a dumbass now.

Everyone praises the voice acting of the old infinity engine games - See Irenicus, Sergeant Dornan or the Master.
Hell, even the unimportant banter like
>MY TAVERN IS CLEAN AS AN ELVEN ARSE
or
>SO I KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD 'TILL HE WAS DEAD NWAHAHA
are classics in those games.

Not all NPCs need to be voice acted, but having none at all is pretty stupid and can eventually wear down even the most voracious reader
>>
>>334436062

this doesn't require a full canon reboot, just place a fallout game in a place that isn't civilized (pretty much any location we haven't seen before is fair game for any level of civilization they want)
>>
Give the liscense (or some badass modder fully convert XCOM 2) to Firaxis and let them create Fallout Tactics 2 but keep the RPG overworld 1 and 2 had as a blend of them and tactics.
>>
>>334440964
I think this is a major issue of the size of the locations, in 3, NV, and 4 you are playing the equivalent of one location from 1&2 but just expanded, for example boston would just be diamond city, a city area with enemies, and Goodneighbor, with the rest of Massachusetts to explore.
>>
>>334441471
Possibly, it would certainly explain how the factions are so pervasive.
>>
>>334441180
then you miss out on using the good factions in fallout like the master, the enclave, unless you come up with some stupid contrivance like fallout 3 with the 'east coast supermutants'
>>
>>334434814
kek
>>
>>334441705
>the master, the enclave
Let them stay in their games.
>>
>>334441705
please no just make new factions, I am so fucking tired of the BoS and Enclave holy shit
>>
>>334441705
The Master and the Enclave are dead and should stay dead, in NV all we were left with was remnants, and that is how it should be make way for new ideas instead of beating the old ones into the ground.
>>
>>334441784
This.

I don't want the NCR or Brotherhood in all my games either.
>>
>>334440894
there's nothing remotely realistic about fallout, i mean in real life the wastes would be picked clean 10 years after the war, people can live with some suspension of disbelief but when you take a single step outside fallout 4's biggest city and you're immediately in hostile territory it feels a bit stupid
>>
>>334441913
Exactly hell the Brotherhood was barley in Fallout 2, and they did almost nothing story wise.
>>
easy anon

>return to medieval fantasy
>introduce dragons
>give player the ability to shout dragon shit
>add climbable mountains
>>
>>334442018
Maybe instead of guns we can have some sort of magic system.
>>
>>334433624

Bethesda isn't going to give up this cash cow.

The only logical thing to do is ship a year's supply of booze with every future copy of Fallout.
>>
>>334442204
And stop buying their shit.
>>
>>334442204
>>334442278
Some of us like the game.

Although I will admit that the main story and dialogue sucks.
>>
>>334442373
We will only get change when they realize that their bullshit is costing them money, if you want to play just pirate.
>>
>>334433624
Make it survival horror, have dynamically adapting AI for deathclaws, npcs that build their own non-static settlements that can be raided. Just more content that doesn't get stale.
>>
>>334442460
>they realize that their bullshit is costing them money

Not that guy, but it's a pipe dream if you think this will honestly happen. Not saying you're wrong, but ultimately everyone is in the mindset of "I'm just one person" and they always will be.
>>
>>334442460
Nah fuck off. They'll just tap into another demographic and remove all the good shit.
>>
>>334442584
So what is already happening.
>>
>>334442373
>Some of us like the game.
Yeah and someone can like the game just because it doesn't crash on the start.
>>
>>334442680
Yes, if you actually want to sway them you have your opinion become that of the majority of consumers.

Believe it or not they do listen to their fans and change future games based on the feedback (and some of the new stuff is great, some is shit).
>>
>>334435867
>>No fucking cars

They don't have to be fast. You wouldn't be able to drive fast anywhere anyway, with the roads as they are. But seeing all those burnt out wrecks makes me wish I could drive to the next town in a sweet, 1950s, atomic convertible Cadillac.
>>
>>334442829
That's not even a rebuttal.
>>
>>334442901
Eh, I'd rather stay here in my niche interests and just grumble about the issues and not actually attempt to give a solution to the problem.
>>
>>334443037
Constructive.
>>
Take it away from Todd "Hack" Howard
>>
>>334443145
It's what the rest of /v/ would want me to do.
>>
>>334441896
>please no just make new factions, I am so fucking tired of the BoS and Enclave holy shit

It should be set in Utah or something where those factions can't reach.

Or even Canada. It would be the Skyrim version of Fallout where everything is frozen and bleak... Maybe not.
>>
>>334441913
>I don't want the NCR or Brotherhood in all my games either.

I think a single NCR border outpost to connect to continuity would be good.
>>
>>334443587
"Utah, where those factions can't reach"

Oh so like the Western Brotherhood and the Western Enclave, where both of those factions begun.

Fucking just give me a Fallout Game in a Southern State for fucks sake, New Orleans would be cool as fuck and fits everything a fallout game needs setting-wise.
>>
File: 1457156267763.png (10 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457156267763.png
10 KB, 640x480
>>334443587
I don't even want to think about it. There's never anything fucking interesting in Bethesda's Fallout games. No interesting factions or characters. They consistently prove themselves has horrible writers who only win on area:

shit

just tons of shit that you can do or collect or whatever. And whenever someone else approaches to make a larger open world, like The Witcher 3 devs, it massively outshines it that year. Yet despite it all, Bethesda's polished turds sell like hotcakes.

Thank god some people are finally realizing that it's the same thing every year. But the draft of new sales and new customers outweigh this. Jesus fuck I hope Bethesda gives the IPs to any other company.

For fuck's sake, they don't even understand how unique and full of potential the Elder Scrolls IP is. It has so much lore, and such a rich world and what do they do with it? Create big oceans no deeper than a puddle. Replay Skyrim for the sake of the questlines; it's just linear drivel. It's so underwhelming. No choice or consequence whatsoever. How did I not notice that the first time I played?
>>
>>334433624
Take it away from Bethesda.
>>
Make it about humanity as a whole again and the politics of the rebuilt communities again. Leave the character's personal story for whatever the player wants it to be.

Something that could've been done better from even the classic games was to have more fun making bizarre FEV mutations. While giant insects and funny looking animals have their place, and you want to include iconic Fallout enemies even when they don't really belong, enemies could be a lot more diverse and varied.

STOP making it so much about satire of 1950s American culture. Fallout is supposed to be about the future as people back then saw it, not exactly like the 50s with robots and shit around. Be more imaginative than that and take full advantage of the setting instead of a hackneyed and overdone satire of the past that has been done a million times before.
>>
>>334435136
I think the article means it was causing problems with the AI for NPCs who try to use ladders.
>>
>>334433624
Good writing that doesn't just say fo1 and 2 didn happen, but here's our pre-war fap content.
Actual quests, choices and their consequences.
No more heroic fantasy bullshit, fallout world is supposed to be harsh, dark and hateful towards you. You supposed to survive, not to bathe in fame and glory
Give freedom. F1 and 2 allowed you to kill everyone in the game and beat it. Or don't kill a single person and beat it. Or fuck almost every npc and beat it. Or become a pornstar, gangster, sheriff, kung-fu master, drug dealer, slaver, or whoever the fuck you wanted to AND STILL beat the game the way YOU want.
No more egocentrism. Fallout world is supposed to live without you, you're just small pebble with you own small insignificant problems trying to live in a big INTERCONNECTED world with its own history and structure.

>tl;dr
Take it away from bethesda
>>
>>334433624
We don't. Bethesda killed it.

But worry not. We've got translation for Fallout 1.5 Resurrection coming soon. And there's also Underrail if you're into a Metro 2033/BLAME!/Fallout hybrid.
>>
>>334435259
>Have the ability to be a Ghoul with the inherit trait of having radiation heal you but receive -2 Charisma
I don't think this is as big of a gimp as you think it is, especially since basically every character can get pretty darn close to 9-10 points in each SPECIAL stat in FO3 and NV. The last thing these games need is even more OP shit.

>Make Unarmed/Melee one Skill
This. Also, has unarmed been viable in any of the 3D fallouts? It just seems like there are always better options, and if you're not using energy or explosive weapons by a certain point you are being a contrarian just for the sake of it.

>Luck Perk that has a chance that enemy weapons jam or grenades/explosives become duds
Good luck with Bethesda's shit engine. The only way they know how to make the games hard is to use cheating AI, so let's not take even that away from them.

>Add vehicles
This is shitthesda we're talking about here. They coudn't even copy and paste horses from Oblivion into FO3 in the same engine. What makes you think they will ever get vehicles right? I say leave it to the modders to get that stuff done right.

>Story about NCR expanding East meeting East BoS expanding west.
Would kind of imply the Legion canonically won the battle of the Hoover dam, which might piss some players off and make our choices in the previous game feel worthless. And while I'm not against seeing old factions return, I kind of wish they would stop relying on the same ones. What are the odds that in this vast, decentralized and tribal wasteland, we have the same exact factions from shore to shore? NCR and the Legion are nation-states with defined territories, but they wouldn't be able to grow too large and unwieldy in the wild west post-apocalyptic world before succumbing to instability and factionalism. I say only reintroduce any of those factions if they're taking it to the West again.
>>
>>334446441
>unarmed
the problem is Beth doesn't want to put any effort into more animations so you get the basic punching and that's it
>>
File: 1450986883541.gif (1 MB, 230x290) Image search: [Google]
1450986883541.gif
1 MB, 230x290
>People shit on Fallout 3, a game that introduced me to the franchise and allowed me to appreciate what Fallout is and was back in the day
>People laud New Vegas like it was the second coming even though it had the same problems as Fallout 3
>Now old people are shitting on everything not made by black isle as if games made back then were superior just because they were the originals
/v/ really is shit isn't it? I mean people shitting on a game i really love, ok, whatever. But now shitting on the one game that everyone almost completely agreed was the best Fallout. Dang.
>>
>>334433968
Don't forget:

Eliminate karma altogether

Player is inducted as a full Paladin of the Brotherhood of Steel after the first quest. This is not optional.

expunge all mentions of agriculture or pastoralism. NPCs are exclusively seen subsisting on 200 year old prewar non-perishables from well-stocked supermarkets

Every quest references a meme or pop culture.

100% of raiders and tribals now kickass females

questline follows your attempts to find your wife's son, who is the first member of your vault to leave it in 50,000 years

vehicles and mounts are now available, but only through the innovative new "macrotransaction" system

No more unique weapon and armor variants

All dialogue is now locked into pre-rendered cutscenes with no alternate outcomes
>>
>>334443587
I was thinking Wyoming, since that's where the Great Khans end up building an empire (which will totally be the canon ending, just like Shady Sands becoming NCR).
>>
File: destroy yourself.webm (2 MB, 768x480) Image search: [Google]
destroy yourself.webm
2 MB, 768x480
>>334447149
>>
>>334433624
>Vault City!
It would be so cool to have a successful vault city to play around in a 3D enviorment.
I say simplify the story/get rid of it. Be a free range game of survival. Protecting your city. Getting to choose from one of 4 starting cities each being a different difficulty depending on what you choose.
>>
File: fallout continuity.png (651 KB, 690x1262) Image search: [Google]
fallout continuity.png
651 KB, 690x1262
>>334434129
agreed
>>
>>334449220
Vault 8 + GECK + Fusion generator = Vault City

Vault 101 + GECK + Irradiated Water purifier = Fixed Water Purifier

What could have been
>>
File: Fallout 3 criticism.png (282 KB, 798x2904) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 3 criticism.png
282 KB, 798x2904
>>334447149
>my first Fallout
:^)
>>
>>334433624
how do you even get random encounters if you make it open world?
>>
>>334447149
>>People laud New Vegas like it was the second coming even though it had the same problems as Fallout 3
I could see this being partially true with the gameplay, where New Vegas' biggest problem was not doing enough to fix 3's mistakes.
But as far as plot/writing is concerned? You would have to be completely ignorant of basic storytelling principles to not see how broken and ridiculous Fallout 3 is. You can't seriously tell me that New Vegas has fundamental writing issues like "the central conflict of the entire game doesn't even affect anyone outside the main storyline".

>But now shitting on the one game that everyone almost completely agreed was the best Fallout. Dang.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-3
Fallout 3 User Score: 7.9
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-new-vegas
Fallout New Vegas User Score: 8.5
>>
File: stalker-inventory.jpg (457 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stalker-inventory.jpg
457 KB, 1920x1080
>get rid of shitty wrist Pip-Boy interface forever
>replace with a pic related kind of inventory system
>inventory management immediately becomes dramatically less shitty
>>
Make a proper Fallout set in Europe or China.
Not a half assed one where it's just the same Fallout with this nation as a coat of paint, but and actually well developed setting based on how these areas would have deteriorated considering their societies and social differences
>>
File: 1434064309966.jpg (57 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
1434064309966.jpg
57 KB, 640x430
>>334441176
>Fallout 1 and 2
>infinity engine
wat
>>
>>334449737
I legitimately forget that water is meant to be scarce in fallout 3.

The pitt had better world building then fallout 3, a quest, set in one city, that could be completed in an hour or two, had better world building, then an entire game.

And lets not forget the pitt has its own plotholes , like having to sneak into the pitt, when you have fucking power armor.

Fuck fallout 3.
Although that monster mod, the destruction mod,the realistic damage and a the classic fallout guns make it pretty good, but it still doesn`t fix the shitty world building.
>>
File: ATOM BOMB BABY.png (254 KB, 1038x1325) Image search: [Google]
ATOM BOMB BABY.png
254 KB, 1038x1325
>>334451350
nothing makes sense. they don't even follow the rules that they put in their game.
>>
>>334437349
I didn't even know I wanted this. Make the soundtrack more Chicago bluesy to fit and add some kind of 'gig' mechanic, where you play shows/do missions in venues of a certain type as you make your way towards Chi-town. I put 'gig' in quotes because I don't think it necessarily has to be music, could be closer to standard hero crap.
>>
>>334447149
You practically just admitted that you only like Fallout 3 because it was your first Fallout.
>>
Fallout isn't salvageable after FO4. It may have been able to be saved after FO3, but FO4 completely destroyed it.
>>
File: 1411864016540.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1411864016540.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
>Keep trying to play FO1 & 2
>No matter what they never click
>>
I want a game taking place decades after Caesar and Lanius are dead and the Legion has split off into different tribes.

There would be a tribe that lives and dies following Caesar's laws but would rather maintain its territory and focus on its own people than expand.

There would be a tribe that idolizes Lanius and wages constant war and pillaging, taking slaves and leaving no weak man alive.

There would be a tribe that restarts their old tribe with what little identity they can manage

Other Legion deserters want nothing to do with it and embrace the Old World and the new, allying themselves with traders and other small communities.

Not sure what the story would be yet and what characters would tag along.
>>
>>334452362
Same here.

It also happens when I try to play Baldur's Gate
>>
>>334433624

give the fallout licence to obsidian or inxile
>>
>>334452519
>>334452362
you have an incurable disease known as shit taste
>>
>>334452362
>tfw you realize if the graphics were in 3d you would totally play the shit out of them
>>
>>334433624
Put it down.
If that's not an option then let somebody decent do the writing and move onto a new fucking already engine.
>>
File: FalloutLore.jpg (2 MB, 1609x3554) Image search: [Google]
FalloutLore.jpg
2 MB, 1609x3554
>>
>>334452362
Really the only thing I hate about the first two games is that godawful clunky-ass inventory system. Everything else is good enough that I can push past it.
>>
>>334433624
Make it a talking head cRPG again. It can be an open world shooter or a series of scenarios with isometric views, don't care. It just needs to be character driven, and it needs to focus on offering multiple choices and solutions to problems the player faces.

No generic enemies. No graveyard with zombies that have zero story to it. No bandits outnumbering the civilized population unless you back that shit up with a believable story and underlying ecosystem.

Just make the characters and world convincing and well thought out. I don't care what vehicle it's delivered in.
>>
>>334433624
New Vegas did it well
>>
>give it back to Obsidian

Just so you know, most of the New Vegas team no longer work at Obsidian
>>
>>334433624
Fire Pete Hines
Get rid of voiced protag
Restore actual dialogue choices
Reintroduce actual role playing elements, the voiced protag and the whole unlimited leveling destroyed it and replayability
>>
>>334455884
lolno
>>
>>334433624
kill todd howard
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.