[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of Avernum? I used to play Exile back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: World.gif (204 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
World.gif
204 KB, 800x600
What do you guys think of Avernum?

I used to play Exile back in the day and it's nice to see a good company still making games
>>
this looks like something I'd love

what is it?
>>
>>334405096
Exactly what it looks like, a party-based TB fantasy rpg. Mostly dungeon crawling.
>>
>>334405096
>google
Like I said the same company did Exile which was a great rpg series back in the early 2000's, it's strange I haven't heard of Avernum or Geneforge which each have like a bazillion games
>>
>>334404851
First four are (regrettably, I'd really love for it to have improved over time) better than all the rest, particularly the re-reboots.
Just how many times are they going to re-create the same exact storyline, anyway?
>>
>>334404851
They're good games, but the author never seems to get "character stats" right.

You need to read a guide to figure out how "melee weapons" skill interacts with your damage.
>>
Is this the same as Avernum: Escape from the Pit?
>>
>>334405920
It's a remake with some slight changes. Unfortunately it uses Geneforge's engine instead of the original, it takes a bit away from the game.
>>
>>334406125
Is Geneforge any good?
>>
File: melting.png (176 KB, 278x268) Image search: [Google]
melting.png
176 KB, 278x268
>>334404851
>Creating quickfire in that garbage place It's been so long I forgot the item and game name
I could never get out fast enough even with haste + combat mode
>>
File: BoAfight.jpg (75 KB, 779x579) Image search: [Google]
BoAfight.jpg
75 KB, 779x579
>>334405920
Avernum 1-3 is streamlined/arguably somewhat improved Exile (Exile is punishing to a fault) where 4-6 and Avernum: Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls are both just... Different. 4-6 have the advantage of not being remakes of the others, but the first 3 and Blades of Avernum just sit better with me. Also helps that the first lot were before they switched from hand drawn graphics to Daz3D models, so it had more charm to it.
>>
>>334406206
Oh yes, but it kind of depends on what you want from it. The combat and character building is, well, simple. It involves a lot of trash mob fighting, and optional exploration of big empty maps. Actually all exploration is optional, as you don't exactly have mandatory quests. You can just beeline to the area that allows you to end the game and that's it.
>>
>>334406808
That's interesting,
I love the feel of these games but I have the sinking suspicion I'm missing on some min/maxing that will screw me later in the game
>>
>company
It's one old fart.
Geneforge is damn great. Too bad Vogel turned to bioware worshipper ponyfucker and his new games are shit (and still look like from 1899).
>>
>>334406996
There is not much to mess up in Geneforge, the game tells you very explicitly what you have to do to have a viable build.

There are essentially three options:
fighter
mage
summoner

All builds can put points in everything, but the skill cost is different. So with a fighter you get combat skills cheap and magic expensive, mages get magic skills cheap and summoning expensive, and summoners get summoning cheap and combat expensive. That's pretty much it. You can play around with it and have a suboptimal build, for example I usually play summoner with only 5 in lizard and squid summoning skills and then pump everything into damage spells and buffing.
>>
>>334404851
Spiderweb software games are pretty good, even though they're fairly samey and definitely not worth whatever price they ask for these days. They also tend to have classical lack-of-imagination-syndrome in their mechanics, but the writing is fairly solid and I like the way the world develops as you progress through their games.
>>
>>334409262
>and definitely not worth whatever price they ask for these days
I bought Geneforge series for 2€ on steam
>>
>>334409464
To be fair, last I checked, all their games were $15+.
>>
>>334409515
On GOG the Geneforge 1-5 collection is $15, the Avernum 1-6 collection is $12. They go on sale fairly often though.

But I think Jeff still asks $25 for each game on his own site. Although those are physical copies.
>>
>>334404851

>graphics meh
>gameplay uninspired copy of already poorly balanced crpgs

why bother?
>>
File: 2016-04-16 00_52_03-Steam.jpg (245 KB, 710x761) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-16 00_52_03-Steam.jpg
245 KB, 710x761
>>334409515
They get weekly deals all the time. I think I've spent total 6 euro on these.
>>
>>334410205
Because the Geneforge series allows you to have nazi versus nazi faction wars and backstab everyone and their mother.
>>
>>334404851
Is there any reason not to play the new versions of Avernum 1 and 2? If not, why?
>>
File: bls resbond.png (25 KB, 759x551) Image search: [Google]
bls resbond.png
25 KB, 759x551
>>334411205
>>
>>334411205
None.
>>
>>334413187
I heard some people claim they casualized it or something
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.