[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon X/Y
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: why.png (179 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
why.png
179 KB, 640x360
I need some help, friends. Is this game complete shit or is it good and I've just outgrown it. I've played pokemon since Blue came out and I've played competitively since the beginning of 4th gen. X/Y just seems bad to me in-game as well as competitively. I hate it. Is it bad or am I wrong?
>>
Each generation is hit or miss. This one has some decent additions, but overall isn't that great. It is what it is.
>>
>>334390113
It's okay.
>>
>>334390113
>4th gen
using that term proves you know way more about pokemon than what you try to make us believe.
>>
>>334390349
I already said I played the game on a competitive level. I probably know more than alot of people.

>>334390223
You're probably right. I personally haven't had any big issues with other pokemon games. I do think the competitive part is pretty much not fun anymore with the introduction of megas though. I feel like the game is only going to get worse in Sun/Moon.
>>
>>334390113
Yeah I'm bored of it already
post game content isnt captivating enough for me, interesting online stuff but the rest eh
also the normal/fairy thing that happened kinda irked me off with some pokemon

But ive never been huge on pokemon, I've played gens 1 2 3 and this one so far and only casually
>>
File: ghoul.png (1 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
ghoul.png
1 MB, 640x960
ITS BORING TO ME
>>
It's pretty bad. They went completely backwards from B/W in terms of breaking out of the norm.
>>
>>334390113
>Is this game complete shit or is it good
it's okay. Lots of good ideas, particularly for the bottom screen, some half-baked that might have shined if a third version came out. The worse part is that the story mode feels more and more insultingly linear and easy, and this isn't even including the exp share.

And competitive has always had new problems, it's just the nature of it.
>>
>>334390113
X and Y specifically disappointing:

>literal one-way, roundabout guided tour through region
>mon selection is giant grab bag from every gen with very few new ones added in
>no enemy trainer has a full team of 6
>"rival" is klutz-ass friend who never comes into their own
>most phoned-in evil team in the series, coming off one of the best
>handed 2 starters and a fucking Lapras, no questions asked
>hyped-up riding mechanic was just 2-3 self-contained segments

Megas and trainer customization were the only things X/Y really got right. Hoping Sun/Moon doesn't repeat these mistakes.
>>
File: 1426711152087.png (133 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
1426711152087.png
133 KB, 640x475
>x/y lets you customize trainer and 1 pokemon
>removes feature next game
Why
>>
I played Pokemon from Red to Emerald. Got back into with Y. Honestly I found it boring till about midway.

I think I out grew Pokemon. There's literally nothing about the new gen that grabs me
>>
>>334391615
Customization is shit if you're not a faggot (i.e. you played as the male)

A FUCKING FEDORA
>>
>>334391530
But the competitive was really good at one point, imo. Like 4th gen was always good, BW was good after they fixed the OU weather war thing, but XY is just not fun to me at all. It could be because of external reasons like Showdown giving people a reason to use the same teams though.
>>
>>334391602
>>334391829
>>334390945
Yeah I find it really boring and easy too. Maybe it IS just for kids. I'll probably stop playing, then.
>>
mega-evolution is where Pokemon jumped the shark for me
>>
>>334392352
sorry dude.
I know the feeling of losing touch with a series,
>>
File: 1420039987682.jpg (60 KB, 599x494) Image search: [Google]
1420039987682.jpg
60 KB, 599x494
>>334391942
i am not understanding what the issue is that you find in being
>>
>>334391602
>>literal one-way, roundabout guided tour through region
Still less linear than BW.
>>no enemy trainer has a full team of 6
Wrong.
>handed 2 starters and a fucking Lapras, no questions asked
Do you hate gen 1?
>>
>>334390113
It's shit
>>
>>334393429
I mean, I'll still check out Sun/Moon. But it'll probably make me feel even more sad.

Pokemon TCGO is still fun for me at least.
>>
It's not bad but it's not great either. They casualized it even more. It's a good time waster though.
>>
Is XY as good as ORAS?

Because I'm having a blast playing through AS, but I havent played XY yet. I just got back into Pokemon from not playing since Emerald.
>>
>>334391615
>visible night and day
>gone next game
>Underground, Secret Bases, Contests
>gone next game
>Dexnav, Soaring, Secret Bases and Contests again
>???
>>
>>334394031
omg he likes ORAS nobody can have this opinion kill him kill hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim

Now that we got that out of the way, it's a little better for the simple fact that "new generation" games tend to have those features unique to them or other stuff, new Pokemon, etc.
>>
>>334394338

Kek. And thanks.

I dont usually listen to /v/ because I find that what people say here are usually wrong.

I enjoyed AS, so I will probably enjoy XY.

Maybe the reason for this is because I skipped so many arguably good games in between (Platinum/BW2 apparently).
>>
>>334394592
Platinum and BW2 are very good, yes. You can probably never play XY and be good.
>>
>>334390113
I don't really like X/Y either. I've reset my game around five times (the first one after reaching Victory Road) because I just felt nothing for the plot, characters, and new pokemon.

Conversely I loved ORAS mostly for the Dex Nav.
>>
>>334391615
GameFreak always introduces features in one game then removes them later to make said game feel more unique. The excuse they made for removing Trainer customization in OR/AS was that Kalos had its own theme of beauty or something. It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>334390113
Gen 6 was filled to the brim with many new features like Trainer customization, Mega Evolutions, Fairy type, Pokémon Amie, Super Training, and more. However, despite this, it lacked substance and felt so soulless compared to previous Gens. It was like a pizza with many high quality ingredients, but the chef couldn't figure out how to sort the ingredients on the pizza to create a wholesome product. The flaws that are present in XY and ORAS have proven that GameFreak's design philosophy and target demographic have changed. Their goal is no longer to please long-time fans of the series, but to cater to the younger, Smartphone generation. Kids nowadays have a lot more media that competes for their attention. With hours of content just a click away, kids no longer have patience for long, challenging RPGs. Because of this, GameFreak has casualized Pokémon games to meet their needs. In return, this has caused Pokémon to lose its charm. An easier game so that no one gets stumped means stupidly weak trainers, forgettable, one-dimensional characters constantly holding your hand, free overpowered Mega Evolutions and legendaries that were handed out like candy, and faster leveling. Pokémon has always been a series that invited you with its diverse characters and world to make you feel like a part of it. It wanted you to form bonds with your Pokémon, but Gen 6 lost sight of that, and without compelling challenges to overcome with your Pokémon, you are no longer able to create new memories with them as individuals. You lose your story as a trainer when the game trains your Pokémon for you and becomes increasingly linear and limited, using the world narrative to push you from place to place. And if that world narrative is just a retread of Gen 4's story, with some of the weakest written characters in the series, it, too, becomes a blur. If there's nothing waiting for you on the other side of it, your adventure with your Pokémon has ended before it's even begun.
>>
>>334395513

I feel like Gen 6 was easy just for one reason: EXP Share

It makes the game stupid easy, but I mean you can always just turn it off and be back to the way the games used to be.
>>
>>334395513
I know this is pasta or whatever but it's spot on.

>>334394487
/vp/ would just defend the game subjectively.
>>
>>334395869
EXP Share is not a bad thing, they should have balanced the game properly so every fucking trainer doesn't have underleveled pokemon.
>>
>>334396767
Its a baby game for babies
>>
>>334396767

The only trainer I remotely even felt was a challenge was Wallace. Everyone else was piss easy 1-punch KOs.

And I'm someone who hasnt played Pokemon since Emerald.

I could've turned EXP Share off but.. I kind of see where GameFreak is coming from. It would take too long to grind enough to be good for the Elite 4. I just dont have that much time and I dont wanna grind that much.
>>
>>334395513
this
>>
Its okay, which by pokemon standards means its below average
>>
>>334393736
>Do you hate gen 1?
I don't have a problem with obtaining a gen 1 starter and a Lapras necessarily, I have a problem with you literally being handed them on a silver platter.

You get the gen 1 starter extremely early on, giving you the option of having 2 Pokemon of at least above-average power and further trivializing the already toned-down difficulty of the game.

You're also handed a Lapras immediately after gaining Surf and directly next to the first body of water you're expected to traverse. There's no sense of accomplishment to it. At very least you had to suss out a decent Pokemon to teach Surf to before, not to mention figure out which of a few possible paths previously dead-ended by water was the one to take you to the next relevant spot.
>>
Weird how people are starting to get bored of a series that rehashes the same game at a rate that would make Call of Duty blush.
>>
You literally get an entire party handed to you, you don't actually need to catch anything. No one else has a full six until the Elite Four.

That being said, the quality of life improvements in the breeding system are great.
>>
>>334400165
>Not boxing the Lucario and using Lapras as a surf slave
It's your fault if getting handed Pokemon is a problem. I don't even like the concept of mega pokemon so I opt not to use it.

In my current playthrough i'm breed pokes as i progress through the story. one of my mains is a munchlax i bred to have curse
>>
>>334400165
Beyond the stated intention to make the game appealing to a world where smart devices exist, I get the feeling that this is meant to open up the competitive angle of the series to more people.

Has there been any kind of measure of online activity for Gen 6 in comparison to other gens since online battling became a thing? I'm curious to see if streamlining the breeding process has actually made more people want to battle competitively.
>>
File: ohyeah.jpg (111 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ohyeah.jpg
111 KB, 500x500
>>334400593
Pokemon Showdown kind of killed DS battling outside of casual/VGC players. Back in the day before Showdown people used PokeGen to make teams and met in Xat chatrooms or YouTube channel discussions/PMs to meet and battle on the DS. Those days were like the Old West and I loved every second of it.
>>
>>334400165
oras improves breeding even more by doing it all on a single loop island.
>>
>>334400928
My first introduction to competitive i joined some pokemon irc in gen 4 and a guy swept me with his ursaring. I had no idea about IVs or any of that shit
>>
>>334402003
I remember breaking Sleep Clause and Evasion Clause my first fight and losing. The guy that beat me taught me everything, introduced me to his little chat community and we're still friends today. I get nostalgic when I think back and the 6th gen games/battling community makes me sad.
>>
>>334402517
>Pokemon Battle Revolution is turning 10 this year
I remember jumping through hoops to make legit pokemon on pokegen and then battling people online through PBR

What beautiful memories those were

Now the Wifi doesn't even work
>>
>>334397462
>And I'm someone who hasnt played Pokemon since Emerald.
And it shows, because what you mentioned is present in Emerald too.
>>334399662
>I have a problem with you literally being handed them on a silver platter.
So you have a problem with gen 1. The same exact thing happens in those games. Not to mention this one Lapras being totally skippable. I didn't even knew it was in the game until 400 game hours later.

People hate HMs and when they offer you "shortcuts" you hate those too?

>>334400165
>You literally get an entire party handed to you, you don't actually need to catch anything. No one else has a full six until the Elite Four.
Like the first two gens.
>>
File: heliolisk.png (40 KB, 276x298) Image search: [Google]
heliolisk.png
40 KB, 276x298
>>334400531
>not boxing Lapras and teaching Surf to this magnificent bastard
>good Special Attack
>covers major weakness
>Jesus lizard
Heliolisk was my surprise Pokebro through Y.
>>
>>334403482
No one likes to talk about getting handed snorlax in the first games. It's practically a legendary in those gens
>>
>>334403594
What does Snorlax have anything to do with the discussion?

What about the starters in yellow? TWO fossilmons for free? Eevee? Lapras? Beating piss easy trainers for a Hitmon?
Gen 2? Eevee again? Spearow? Shuckle? Beating the same piss easy trainer from RBY for a baby Hitmon? A 50% shiny baby selected from 6 moderately strong Pokemon? DRATINI?
>>
>>334403594
it was?
>>
I was disappointed with the game before i even opened the box but as i played it more i appreciated how good it was.I knew i wasn't tired of the series because i want to play ORAS really bad
>>
>>334404212
Snorlax and Tauros both were mad OP in the early games
>>
>>334402726
It's so weird we don't get stadium games anymore. It's so disconcerting if a Nintendo hardware doesn't do that well TPC will only hand it an arcade port at best.
>>
>>334390113
It's not good. They just completely fucked up some of the most basic things. Like the big confrontation against the enemy team (don't remember their name) was just walking and being foced into fighting like 3 trainers. Contrast that with 10+ floors of teleporters and tons of trainers and tons of items and having to get the card key and then make it to the final battle inside Silph Co. from gen 1 and its a total joke. For all the small improvements in presentation from X/Y, they just didn't deliver on stuff like making a fun game with interesting cities and places or things that previous gens had like small puzzle elements that make the game feel like more of an adventure and less of a guided tour. i mean the way they give you a mega and everything they game does with megas is such a joke. you only face 1 in the whole game after that. Competitve they also kind of fucked up imo. The meta isn't as centralized as gen 5 imo, but its alot more boring and teams seem to pretty much style counter one another. im not a serious competitive player though so idk
>>
>>334390630
>alot
>>
>>334404628
With the updated graphics of 6th gen it sort of has become Stadium-esque.

That being said, I think they are underrating how well a beautiful 1080p console game with the announcer coming back would do. People would lap that shit up.
>>
Is chansey viable yet?
>>
>>334390113
Its okay. I beat it but wanted to do nothing else. Now ORAS that was a piece of shit and I couldn't find myself getting past the halfway mark of the game even though I beat RSE like 5 times.
>>
>>334405465
Chansey has been viable ever since Eviolite.
>>
>>334390113
Just do nuzlocke you fag. I don't even consider the new games to be a challenge anymore (re: fun) without having perma-death factored in. I played both black 1 and black 2 with nuzlocke rules and got by just fine the first time around.
>>
>>334404775
Silph doesn't have 10+ floors and despite having 20 trainers you don't even have to fight half.
>>
File: 1338091200777.jpg (18 KB, 409x579) Image search: [Google]
1338091200777.jpg
18 KB, 409x579
>>334390113
>and I've played competitively since the beginning of 4th gen
get thee gone
>>
>>334406513
not like gen 1 or 2 was very competitive
>>
>>334403590
>only evolves with sun stone
>can only get them via super training + rng
literally cannot be fucked with that shit
>>
>>334406371
it has 11 floors and you still have to fight a bunch, many more on the first time through and youdon't know what youre doing. was there a point to this retort? does it change the fact that gen 6 moved backwards in some respects even from gen 1?
>>
I'm currently playing with EXP share on, but I wanted a challenge, so I decided to keep more than 6 pokemon on my team. I now have 15 and it's still mind-numbingly easy.
>>
>>334390113
I think it was very good, that being said though, the game is short, way too easy, and fails to make full use of the 3DS's main gimmick, which is disappointing.

However, while the game was short, competitive multiplayer and trading, and collecting has NEVER been easier or more accessible.
>>
>>334400014
THIS
>>
The lastest pokemon game I played through was Black version. Maybe I'll pick up Black 2 or something sometime.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.