[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there even any point in using a shield? Why did they even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 12
File: e.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
141 KB, 1280x720
Is there even any point in using a shield? Why did they even put shields in the game? Every enemy has a guard break and infinite stamina. I am finding the game to be much easier just by 2 hand wielding my weapon and spamming R1 recklessly.

What the fuck happened to the souls series?
>>
you just aint doing it right.
>>
>>334362542
care to elaborate? when I have my shield up I'm not doing damage meanwhile the enemy is shitting attacks and guard breaks with infinite stamina leaving no opening. You cant attack on the recoil because they have infinite poise during their attacks too so you just end up trading anyway.
>>
>>334362690
>they have infinite poise during their attacks
Not true.
>>
>>334362690

you just got to walk away somethimes to regain stamina.
>>
>>334362474
This is actually the reason why i don't even use shields anymore, because dodging is better than blocking
>no damage when perfectly dodged
>you actually git gud when you dodge

Maybe if they add a mechanic on stats like endurance or stamina that mitigates stamina damage when blocking.
>>
You can parry with shields
>>
Shields have become what they should've been all along in this game.

You can no longer be an endless sponge like a faggot and using a combination of maneuvering and putting up your shield for the best results.
>>
>>334362474
t.false flagging shieldbaby
>>
>>334362474
don't forget the enemies that will just deal damages through your shield because lmao they also hit magical

shields are useless, just go in an break their poise
>>
>>334363482
parrying is borderline useless sadly, since almost all enemies that you can parry are easy to kill even without that, and most hard enemies can't be parried
>>
>>334362474
Anon you need to stop being so mad.

Don't block all the time and you won't be open to guard breaks. The problem is DaS1 taught people to play like timid children, advancing with their shields up at all times. They learned something new with BloodBorne and made the AI less shitty, so it will punish you for overtly stupid behavior. Don't block all the time, and don't let yourself get hit during their combos, almost every enemy will leave themselves open to attack it's just a matter of not being a complete shitter and gitting gud.
>>
>>334363659
>trade one obvious cheese for another

Souls in a nutshell
>>
Having a shield allows you to not instantly die to glancing unexpected blows, as well as parry enemies.

The days of tanking hits until you can backstab are over, doesn't mean shields are bad.
>>
>>334364917
It's a lot harder to fight Sulyvahn or the Watchers without just parrying them to death.

I literally walked into the Sulyvahn fight on my first attempt and parried him to death in 45 seconds.

I typically avoid shield usage in souls games after the starting areas. I usually shift to using a buckler or parrying dagger and more weapons and just dodging once I get used to the iframes on the roll. The playstyle where you just stand there blocking until the enemy stops attacking is just incredibly boring and I can't understand why anyone would do it.
>>
File: 1460363448182.png (165 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
1460363448182.png
165 KB, 303x311
Small and Medium shields won't break enemy poise and generally the stability on them (except maybe Stone Parma) is largely not fit to handle any blows from larger foes (and more powerful swings). This generally leads to the shields use to be more of a flat damage reduction from hits that do not drain too much stamina (regular small swings/attacks that have magical properties etc.) or for their parrying effect.

Everything that doesn't smash you to a fucking pulp or shit magic up your ass at the speed of light will be tanked to all hell with any decent great-shield. 200+ stability is all sorts of silly. I technically spent the entire fight against Dragonslayer Armor, just blocking and poking with Saint Bident.

It should also be noted that a lot of shit will suck (much more so then in the first and second game) in the early game, as lot of the customization (along with stat investment) won't really be showing up too much a yield until mid-to-late game.

It should show, it's entirely possible to go through all the way to Irithyll on any +3 without too much effort needed.
>>
joke is on OP, you could always 2h and spam r1 but were too scared and just used shield like a faggot. try parrying or something you casual.
>>
>>334366751
Does reinforcing shields actually improve their defensive capabilities?
>>
>>334368940
I don't know about DaS3, but in DaS1 upgrading the shield gave you more stability.
>>
>>334362761
Pretty much even cloth wearing enemies stagger for like no time.
>>
Use the stone parma fampai I think 50 stability is a breakpoint where a lot more attacks bounce off

Abyss Watchers were bouncing off my shield
>>
when did /v/ get filled with so many baddies
>>
>DS1
>enemies have attack patterns
>they dont feel unfair
>learn them

>DS2
>enemies attacks have changed slightly
>they attack just after the point where you *think* they're going to attack
>you get hit
>you adapt to the new attacks

>DS3
>enemies attack 20 times with pauses inbetween each swing
>they pause
>you think the attack is over and it's safe
>they attack 5 more times
>they attack 100 times in half a second
>they jump attack, then attack 6 times afterwards
>shields useless
>stamina gets drained instantly
>dodging doesn't work most of the time because of their erattic attacks
>>
>>334362690
>infinite poise

Why post about something you clearly know nothing about?
>>
>>334362474
Learn to parry you fuck.
>>
>>334370459
>dodging doesn't work most of the time because of their erattic attacks

That's the line that let's everyone know you're complete shit.
>>
>>334362474
shield of want blocks 100% physical and yields 20% extra souls stacking
>>
>>334362761
Actually, certain enemies have hyper armour on certain attacks. Lothric Knights for example will gain full hyper armour if you combo them more than 4 hits.
>>
>>334362474
Parry. Unless you have a weapon that can parry.
>>
>>334370641
Not him but
>enemy does huge wombo combo
>all right now's my chance to get an r1 in
>despite doing like a full 5 swing combo the enemy decides to tack on 2 extra swings to the end
>get 2 shotted and die

I'm referring to the Nameless King specifically, but every enemy kinda does that.
>>
>>334368940
More stability = less stamina drain.

>>334370459
This is my biggest problem with DaS3. Most enemies have little to no downtime after their combo ends. Furthermore, they have basically unlimited stamina and can choose when they stop their combo or just continue it without any sort of tell whatsoever.

Lothric knights are the most obvious example of this bullshit. They can basically shield bash spam forever, have 180° tracking, and have a 5 hit combo that they randomly pull out.

Fucking annoying.
>>
>>334370459
I've found the enemies so far to be a lot easier than those of DS2. It does, however, rely on first initiative more than the prior games.
>>
The only bullshit is the fucking Lothric Knights with the sword and shield for real they have two different opening attacks, the one comes out really fast and you have to react the second you see movement but the second one has a telegraph for a second and if you roll to early it spears you and he gets a 2-3 hit combo in while you frantically spam roll god I've been through most of the game and nothing pisses me off more than the knights before the second boss piss ass fuck shit reeeeeee
>>
Yeh. Also parrying with a shield that isn't the target one is pretty hard to do.

Might as well go full damage and hitstun them to death
>>
>>334371223
>this guy

Just wait till the lothric knights at the end.

>lothric greatsword user with shitloads of health and an electric ultra greatsword who just wont. stop. swinging. also he's getting healed by a priest and two other lothric knights are running you
You know what, I'm starting to think that maybe this game was shit.
>>
>>334362474
Shields are for throwing off katana fags.
>>
>>334363795
you need a shield with 100% damage absorption to not take damage
>>
>>334371721
Deprived is a fun starting class, that plank of wood shield has 41% dmg absorption. At such low health pool even the slightest hit was significant, so I just got used to rolling as the first order of business.
>>
>>334372097
I started with sorcerer and am building a full wizard first like I do with all souls games so I usually have a shield with 100% held up in case of sneak attacks
>>
>>334372376
My build was basically all vigor, endurance and strength, so I sticked with the good ol' grass shield (85% absorb) until the absolute end game, where I switched it to one that also had the "gain more souls" effect (100%).
>>
ITT:
>Shitters crying because they got outskilled by AI
>no longer able to exploit enemy predictable pattern
>Can no longer turtle behind shield 100%
>crying artificial difficulty
Is this what Soul fanbase has been reduced too?
>>
>>334371223
Use periods and commas, and learn to parry, you piece of shit.
>>
>>334370916
The AI seems to know when your close enough to keep swinging or stop. only problem is they can swing 7 or 8 times stop for half a second then swing 7 or 8 times again and again.

Small and human enemies are okay with AI
But mid and large enemies have shit AI.

Instead of making their AI smart they just passed out infinite stam so they can spam attacks. They dont fight smart at all.

Large enemies just constantly attack meaning its just a matter of staying safe and waiting for an opening thats sure to come. its very easy to guarentee every hit and guarentee no HP loss. Even if the hit boxes on a good few boss moves are a joke.

Human sized enemies are the best fight, they guard and dodge and parry and break guard.
Its much harder to guarentee your hit is going to connect and the enemy has far more at its disposal to ensure they land a hit on you.
>>
>>334372779
Haven't you seen people shutting themselves the last three days over invasions?
>muh alt+4
Pathetic really.
>>
i only parry shit, honestly, when i don't have a tactical spatial advantage, like many mobs around that could be aggroed or too tight of a space.
i do so much damage with this build that i kill shit by the time my endurance bar is empty.
i also am upgrading my Pharis Bow which absolutely wrecks.
you don't need to block if you can shoot something to half HP before it reaches you.

most shitters having problems aren't utilizing ranged to it's fullest.
>>
Some enemies have guard breaks, noticeably the tougher knights and darkwraiths.

On the other hand, you have enemies like dogs and those rogue hollows in the first zone that are almost impossible to fight without a shield because they will stunlock you and the best way to kill them without taking damage is to let them bounce off your shield first.

Shields are balanced now where turtling isn't the best answer to every situation, just the best answer to some situations.
>>
>>334372779
>out skilled by AI
>infinite stamina is good AI

Sure am glad they turned Dark Souls into an R1 spam simulator!
>>
>>334362474
Maybe if you timed your blocks with the enemies attacks you wouldnt get rekt by guard break.
Or, you know.
git
gud
>>
Where do I get Trinite Scales?

I want to upgrade my mace I got from one of the boss souls
>>
>>334373181
If they have infinite stamina then why can enemies be guard broken? It takes 2-3 consecutive kicks to the shield to put one of those shield knight dudes into critical state, and more if you wait between kicks, this proves they have a stamina bar, that it can be drained, and that it doesn't refill instantly.
>>
>>334373038
I havent even played yet until next week but damn all this complain really puzzling me. some section claimed this game was to easy and pandered to casual. others accused it for artificial difficulty while both claimed to be souls veterans.
>>
>>334373432
Kill the Crystal Lizard Kings in Farron Keep
>>
>I can't just hide away behind my shield and play the turtle game throughout the entire game

GIT
GUD
>>
>>334373181
>enemy have 5 combos hit
>suddenly have delayed combos and irregular pattern
>shitters cry because they cant read AI pattern
On this fucking very thread you faggot complain about this so which is it?
>>
Is this a troll post? Playing with a shield is the safest and "best" way to play the game.

Do you keep your shield up 100% of the time?
>>
Shield worked well on Pontiff. Some enemies and bosses it does, some it doesn't.

If you wanted to go full shield you would probably go great shields as they will work on more enemies.
>>
Who else keeps tapping the block button while they're trying to regain stamina to make sure you're able to block a quick unexpected swing?
>>
>>334362474
trying pressing r2 when they attack, or try doing a poise build
>>
Shields are still good, you just have to be smart.

You can't circle strafe with your shield up and outlast them.

Now you have to dodge and block when you're about to take the the last hit of a combo that you know you can't dodge.
>>
Shield is fine tbqh still going strong with sword and shield
>>
>>334362474
Shields are useful against Champion Gundyr and of course grass crest shield
>>
>>334370459
One EZ solution to all your problems m8
Git gud
>>
>>334363795
>don't forget the enemies that will just deal damages through your shield because lmao they also hit magical
Helloooooooooooo Silver knights.
>>
>>334362474
I use weapon art shields for blocking one attack and then instantly chain into a shield break art while they bounce off.
Parrying and anything else is much more trouble than it's worth.
>>
File: cat pls.jpg (55 KB, 342x316) Image search: [Google]
cat pls.jpg
55 KB, 342x316
>>334362474

>I can't block every single thing
>what happened to this series

You are such a faggot.
>>
>>334378504

>He hasn't gotten to the pontiff knights

:^)
>>
>>334379518

>doesn't know how to parry
>>
I think the biggest problem is the enemy AI seemingly being able to read your stamina meter.

>katana guy at low health
>he changes from aggressive to defensive, keeps backing off after making one or two quick strikes
>he moves in to do his one or two strikes
>dodge them, swing at him twice, use all my stamina
>back off and pull my shield up just in case
>instead of being backing off and being defensive like always, he suddenly rushes forward and swings again to break my guard and kill me with a critical

There's no way it would've done that unless it knew I didn't have the stamina to block its attack.
>>
Has parry timing changed again? I can get one parry in maybe every dozen times.

Is poise useless? Full knight's set, by my estimations a pretty bulky armor, has like ~30 poise and gets broken by daggers.
>>
>>334381223
I feel like it has, but I might have just lost my touch after playing so much Bloodborne. I keep doing it at the "right" time, but I fuck it up probably 75% of those times. I'll need to just sit down and play with the timing I guess.
>>
>>334362474
>start a no-shield build for the first time in a Souls game
>game barely gets any harder

Only time I ever feel like a shield can be useful is against the Black Knight archers in Anor Londo. Why the fuck did I doubt you for so long, /v/.
>>
Good, shield used to trivialize most of the game.
>>
When do miracles get good? I'm at 30 faith and every offensive spell does barely 100 damage even with the boost ring. About to just respec to a quality build.
>>
>>334383008
Never
Hopefully the buff miracles because they were the one type of magic (besides pyromancy) I enjoyed fighting.
>>
I've killed so many people so far from kicks to the shield with a riposte follow up. I'll be sad when people finally catch on.
>>
>love games where I can manually sword and board like a classic knight
>Souls games scratch the itch like no other
>can't do it in 3
fuck
>>
>>334383362
>manually sword and board
What?
>>
>>334383398
I mean as opposed to games where you have a sword and shield but you autoblock or otherwise can't really use your shield like turn based RPGs. I don't know a better word for it.
>>
>>334376248
>"OH NO SOMEONE IS GIVING A FAIR CRITICISM OF MY GAME!"
>"I KNOW I'LL TELL HIM TO GIT GUD! THE PERFECT ARGUMENT!"
>>
>>334372779
Not true, I turtled behind my shield the entire game, including last boss
>>
Are greatshields at least good? I have one but it's only 84 dmg reduction
>>
>>334362690
Use a great weapon you absolute fucking scrub
>>
>>334362690
literally git gud

if your stamina can only absorb 2-3 shield hits then roll away before you get hit again

I've been practicing on the first lothirc knight for an hour and i can beat him 4/5 times now
>>
>>334383091
Wow that sucks. I really liked miracles in 2. The offensive ones kinda sucked but the buffs were great. In this game everything feels like a waste of points.
>>
So why did they remove armour upgrades again, is it something that BB did?

Also does upgrading shields only give you more stability now instead of more resistance on top
>>
>>334384160
I'm using the curseward greatshield and it has great stability, i rarely encounter an invader or enemy that can get through
>>
>>334373038
do you need to be embered to be invaded?
>>
>>334384664
Yes.
>>
>>334380329
you cant parry if your sword has a weapon art
>>
File: Pyro Fun.webm (3 MB, 720x390) Image search: [Google]
Pyro Fun.webm
3 MB, 720x390
>>
>>334362474
Shields are incredibly useful. Besides staggering weaker enemies and allowing you to parry (which is absurdly powerful), they also give you a way to mitigate magic and slow single attacks from large monsters (if you've the endurance)

>>334370459
>>334370918
Most enemies have garbage for poise and instead have super armor on attacks. You should be swinging like a madman in those gaps and they'll stagger.

Lrn2Souls
>>
>>334384845
Holy shit the range on that whip
>>
I find a lot of things you can potentially do are more useful in PVP, where skill is a bigger factor.

Weapon arts are basically pointless in PVE, unless you want to guard break, but are great in PVP. Similarly, shields are much more useful in PVP as your stamina doesn't get depleted as fast.

So far, I haven't found anyone using anything but a sword/shield combo in PVP. Magic-users are super rare, and nobody is brave enough to just use two-handers, or even to duel wield.
>>
>>334384714
fucking bullshit. I hated that about dark souls; I usually never was human because when you're playing the game you never know when you're going to die. thats the whole point of the series, right? you go through one area, understand it, learn it, then get to the next one and have no idea what to expect. yet Im supposed to risk very rare and finite resources just to participate in a core function of the game design? fucking retarded

if ember was just a health boost and item discovery boost that'd be baller. but its just humanity 2.0 reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
Why are great swords so shit lads? What happened?
>>
>>334384845
Nice chinese hitboxes
>>
>>334381129
That's how a real player will behave, so it makes perfect sense. It's part of his artificial intelligence. If you've attacked recently, he'll know you have less stamina, and thus can beat you down easier.

I do this all the time. If someone has attacked several times, I'll rush forward and start stabbing their shield with my Rapier, and then get a critical when their guard breaks. It's the most basic tactic you can perform.
>>
>>334384596
This. I switched from the curseward to the lothric knight greatshield, it has a bit less stability but also has 100% physical reduction and 83% magic reduction as opposed to the cursewards 75% and is also lighter.
>>
>>334362474
>tfw endurance build that just eats peoples stamina and chase their roll away into a combo isnt viable for PVP anymore because lol netcode and shields have fuck all stability
>>
File: Typical Grab Hitbox.webm (3 MB, 800x738) Image search: [Google]
Typical Grab Hitbox.webm
3 MB, 800x738
>>334385143
>>
>>334385109
I know greatswords are shit, but what about ultra greatswords? Haven't found one yet but I'm planning on maining the first one I get.
>>
>>334369328
Again, not true. I can chain stagger Lothric Knights in the castle with Broadsword L1s
>>
>>334366751
Irithyll is shitting on me so hard. These knights never, ever let up and the only way I've managed to take them on has been stunlocking when I have full stamina (and even then only if they feel like it - they have some attacks that recover from stagger AND complete the attack animation before my next swing with my mace) or parrying, and half the time they use their unparryable bluesword 500hp kill move.

Saint Bident got me through the cathedral after I accepted the mace was not sanic speed enough but this is insane.
>>
>>334385289
Ultra Greatswords are top tier.

Fume UGS is the best weapon in the game and will get nerfed.
>>
>>334385302
this
if you can time a guard break on the lothirc knights you get get them down to 10% health with a chain stagger

its by far the easiest way to kill them if you arent fast enough to circle around and backstab
>>
File: 1459792640853.png (616 KB, 424x681) Image search: [Google]
1459792640853.png
616 KB, 424x681
>>334362474
Illusory walls literally DO NOT EXIST in this game
Prove me wrong
>>
>The only game I bought in a year
>Crashes all the time around bonfires
>Unplayable because of it
>Wear a helm and the lighting setting are on low
>Still crashes
Should've pirated it
>>
>>334385094
I don't mind it because you don't need to be embered to get summoned and if you help someone clear the boss you get embered automatically and get an ember in your inventory for later use. I have about 70 embers saved up.
>>
>>334385412
Where do you get it?
>>
>>334384845
Why are you playing with a toaster instead of a modem
>>
>>334385438
I have nearly 100 combined upvotes from pointing out illusions (ambushes too). I've found about 8 or 9 so far. Half of those were pointed out by a sign, the rest I found myself
>>
>>334385438
Like every ten feet there's another message saying, "Illusory Wall Ahead" that has like a 30 rating.

There's also at least two of them in the Catacombs, and one in Boreal Valley.
>>
>>334385109
I felt like crying when I watched the animations for the zweihander, why are we stabbing with greatswords again?
>>
DS3 has too many enemies that just fucking spam attack. No strat or anything, just keep hitting you with no down time and you have to hope on RNG that they will stop and try another attack.
>>
>>334385438

Ive seen at least two, one on top of firelink that i have no idea what the point of was and one that led to a ledge with an item
>>
>>334385438
There are legit like a dozen of them in Catacombs of Carthus and Demon Ruins.
>>
>>334385289
Don't ever fucking reply to me or my claymore ever again.
>>
>>334385580
Not OP sorry
>>
>>334384729
What yes you can. Use a shield that has parry and not the weapon skill thing
>>
>>334385438
There is one right outside the old wolf of farron bonfire.
>>
>>334385109
Doing a greatsword build now, not ultra. They're fine, what's the problem?
>>
>>334385094
>humanity
>rare and finite
>reee
Stupid fucking frog
>>
>>334385438
ok, there is one at the top of the fire link shrine. you need the 20000 souls key or a good jump from the tree follow the roof in and over past the nest and hit the wall above the throne.
>>
File: 1453054228040.gif (981 KB, 342x239) Image search: [Google]
1453054228040.gif
981 KB, 342x239
>>334362474
What? Blocking allows you to get gather information on how the enemy attacks and gives you time to roll out of the way of a bigger attack.
>>
>>334385438
You're not looking hard enough, faggot. I've found between 5-10 so far.
>>
Is there an option to disable Messages but keep the rest of the online features? They're so fucking annoying.
>>
>>334385438
I've hit and pressed A against so many walls (not sure what they went with this time) and haven't found shit, even at high rated signs. I don't know what these people are doing.
>>
>>334385809
it is
>b... but if you kill rats for 3 hours you can get 10 humanity!
>>
>>334362690
>infinite poise during their attacks
That's just factually incorrect, and the only game this has ever applied for is DS2. The only enemies I've found that can't be staggered out of attacks are giant enemies and the lothric knights.
>>
Now that they introduced weapons arts, you cannot parry with L2 whilst twohanding a claymore or UGS for instance, right?
>>
>>334384468
>an hour on a casual enemy
Jesus i looked at him and killed him, come back when you kill the dark paladin
>>
How do I kill the dancer?
She rekts me on her second phase
Using black katana+4, gonna try poking her with the pontiff gs
>>
>>334385570
>>334385574
>>334385601
>>334385606
>>334385739
i am at the forest atm, and despite slashing up every single fucking suspicious wall i see, randomly attacking everything in dead ends and other places that raise suspicion, i have founf fucking 0 so far. All "illusory wall ahead" with 30+ upboats are fucking dumb memes pointing at regular walls for epin trolle giggles
What the fuck
>>
File: 1443059821697.png (59 KB, 362x278) Image search: [Google]
1443059821697.png
59 KB, 362x278
>>334385982
(you)
>>
>>334385982
Try 30 humanity in 30 minutes you shitter
>>
>>334385412
Where do you find that one? I keep hearing about it. I'm happy with my boss fire greatsword made from the two princes soul
>>
Is it just me or is there some input lag compared to the other games? I get bopped by a lot more thrusts and projectiles when trying to roll on reaction now.
>>
>>334387075
Knight Slayer Tsorig underneath smoldering lake
>>
File: 53.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
53.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>334362474
What was that one boss who has a flame sword and a dark sword who summons a clone of himself mid fight?

I used the dragoncrest shield and his hits didnt do shit to me. Learn to use shields you fucking fag.

They're only useless because you can't parry, roll or you keep your shield up nonstop without recovering stamina
>>
File: Giant_dad_stunlocks.png (835 KB, 1191x669) Image search: [Google]
Giant_dad_stunlocks.png
835 KB, 1191x669
can i be giant fag in this game
>>
>>334362474
I feel like shields make the game easy mode. You don't have to worry about timing with dodges or anything, you just spin the enemy around with your guard up and break every fight. And if you're actually skilled, you can parry and wreck shit. Shields are OP.
>>
>>334362474
I disagree.

I would say this game is designed more around effective shield use than any other game in the series. You just can't turtle anymore.
>>
>>334387552
Kill yourself.
>>
>>334362474
To parry.
>>
Use yhorms shield faggot.

73 stability and + 30 poise
>>
>>334364917
Parrying has invincibility frames, unlike 2 but more like 1. This is what makes it vital in scenarios with tons of enemies.
>>
>>334387382
Pontiff something.
I died to him like ten times before I got the parry timing right.
>>
>>334383837
HUEGH I KNOW RITE!?
>>
>>334386183
You're being b8ed, anon.
>>
>>334387174
>explore the whole area
>still have Estus charges left
>go down the steps towards a lava pit
>Knight Slayer Tsoric runs up to me
>mistime a dodge
>instakilled in one hit
>>
>>334386150
you fucker, I killed him my first try too
I just spent an hour "getting good" to the point where I would be able to beat him almost every time. I was farming for equipment too. its called practice. I havent played a souls game in 2 years. relax
>>
So how do you kill the masked jailers in Irithyll Dungeon without getting 2/3 of your health bar sapped?
>>
>>334362474
I've been fucking around with the Butcher's Knife and ways to get more HP back after every hit and it is only supporting the R1 spam in mobs or even bosses. I still wanna try Iron Skin and maximizing my health returns with some extra stamina items to check out how much damage I can get off and take. It reminds me of Bloodborne a little.
>>
>>334388402
You don't. The cast time on it damn near instant. Just run in and start hitting before it gets too bad
>>
>>334363482
You can parry with some weapons, too
>>
I seriously hope I'm not the only one that got triggered hard when that dumb whore mentioned Braille.
>>
>>334373038
I've quit out of only one invasion. I'd just spent about 40 great arrows blasting those dragons on Lothric Castle, heard a guy spawn in, and desperately tried to finish off the dragon because it would only take a few more shots. Guy found me, broke my block, and one-shot me, so I just instantly turned off the game and went to bed.
>>
>>334362474
shields are still useful, they just increased the shield skill cap. it's no longer something you can perpetually hold up against any enemy and expect to never take damage. instead, damage drains a significant amount of stamina, so you actually have to use sparingly and time it wisely, otherwise you'll get your ass handed to you. certain enemies also don't do very well against a shield, but there are now many enemies who will just straight up fuck you up if you think that you can just shield all their attacks (almost every 'big' enemy and/or every enemy that has a 'big' attack)
>>
>>334388696
That's what I've been doing, it just feels really stupid.
>>
>parry attack
>still take damage

???
>>
>>334389218
That happens when you mistime it, but only slightly.
>>
I met patches in onion armor in the church and he tricked me going out on the raised platform.
Now I cant find him or raise the platform again.
What now?
>>
File: 2015-12-11_00003.jpg (115 KB, 697x697) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-11_00003.jpg
115 KB, 697x697
Anyone know the name of the katana faggot outside the shrine?
Don't have the game but want to look up videos of people trying to fight him.
>>
>>334385289
Ultra greatswords are amazing

Ive done a good amount of PvP so far with the Greatsword and its moveset and damage is amazing
>>
>>334389425
Remember the starting bonfire in the little chapel with the two closed doors?
Go there, then go throught the door at the back you've unlocked as a shortcut, then to the elevetaor on the left side.
Ride up, then go around the tower, there's a ladder you climb up.
Up there is a red-eyed priest, kill him and you'll get a ring.
Then drop to a buttress from there and follow it up. The rest is straightforward, you'll end up on the other side of the bridge you can't raise, there's a lever.

Also back at the bonfire - there's a well right in fron the chapel on your right. Go there.
>>
>>334362690
> leaving no opening.
git gud
>>
>>334389606
>amazing
My Claymore does less damage than my Astora's Straight Sword.
They are both at +6.
>>
>>334389508

The Master you can summon him for the second boss later on.

and one of the bosses very very later on when you sequence break.
>>
>>334362690
Get the Claymore from the area where the dragon is breathing fire. You will have to make a suicide run to get it.

Then you can knock the fuck out of hollows and actually not get hit when you both swing at the same time.
>>
Killed crystal sage.

Am i supposed to head to farron keep, or cathedral of the deep?

I went to Cathedral of the deep, and I have been getting my asshanded to me.
>>
>>334387156
It definitely fells like that to me. Rolls seem to start around .5 seconds later than they should
>>
>>334362690
You seem to be forgetting that this is still an RPG. Here are several working solutions:

>Increase your stamina
>Upgrade your shield so that it has a higher stability stat (high stability = less stamina drained on block)
>two hand your shield to increase stability if you need to
>Enemies are practically turn based. They "choose" an attack or sequence of attacks to use, then execute it, then have a pause where they do nothing before the next attack sequence.
>instead of using the shield as a tool to absorb ALL of an enemy attack combo, use it to block the first hit, then roll away- you are pretty much garunteed a safe escape this way. Now the enemy is swinging wildly in front of you out of range and completely exposed
>Use a pyromancy, miracle, or spell to boost your blocking ability
>>
Should I level up stamina? I though this game was like bloodborne and didn't put any points on it.
>>
Anyone have tips for how to beat the Nameless King? He pretty much one shots me right now.
>>
>>334384584
Infusing gives you more resistance to said element.

Upgrading just increases stability. But you want to upgrade, because stability is lower than previous souls games.
>>
>>334390071
Either is fine. If you're having problems with one, then you can try out the other without problems.
>>
>>334389815
I said UGS's like the Greatsword are good, not the greatsword weapon class which is garbage
>>
can soul of cinder be parried?
>>
>>334362474
>shields are useless! I can't block a thing with the lightest 100% shield and base stamina
greatshields pretty much just break the fucking game, same as always. Especially since anyone using greatshields probably leveled his stamina enough to use some goofy ass strength weapon that can only be swung once every fortnight.

As always.
>>
I just reached the road of sacrifice bonefire and i canțt help but wonder...do those flying monkeys ignore your shield? When they start their flurry it seems that you get the damage regardless of you protecting yourself or not. Sure i can roll away but it feels odd
>>
>>334389709

Thank you, would probably had wandered around lost for a while then said fuck it and left.
>>
>>334362474
I've played the entire game with an alternating kite shield based on resistance and a brigand axe. Every single boss. Every single enemy. Shields are just as useful as they have always been, meaning they are good for blocking projectiles and hits you aren't able to dodge but if you rely on them too much you are going to get your shit kicked in.
>>
>>334370697
Yea and the fat witches in undead settlement are mostly unstaggerable during attacks.
>>
>>334370962
Nothing is easier than 2 since you had infinite fucking healing and could just bumrush everything.
>>
>>334390990
They're bashing your head over the shield m8
>>
>>334391354
I was thinking that this was the case. So i should just remove the shield while there,thanks
>>
>>334385982
You find like 40 just going through the game normally. At least they're great healing items. Embers seem to be even more common, and they aren't even half as useful. Precious resource my ass.
>>
>>334362474
Why do people like you bother to make a stupidass thread just so you can make a dumbass assertion that no one will agree with?
>>
>>334370459
just because you got stuck in the game.?
stop crying and enjoy
>>
>>334390501
If you rely heavily on a shield or use heavy ass weapons, go ahead.
>>
Is there a respect item or nah?
>>
I invaded someone but it looks like he can't see me. I can't damage him either.

I am a ghost.
>>
>using shields instead of dodging everything
Fucking why
>>
>Joining Rosaria's Fingers will cause an NPC questline to fail

Wiki says this but doesnt specify. Anyone knows?
>>
>>334392991
Sirris of the Sunless Realms
>>
>>334386150
It's or training purpose

I farmed the three Anor Londo Silver Knights for hours to get Titanite Shards and Souls for leveling.

I never lose to knights solo now. When there are two, i die 2/10 times. I need to get even better.
>>
File: 1458383763773.gif (97 KB, 625x461) Image search: [Google]
1458383763773.gif
97 KB, 625x461
>final boss can one-shot you if he gets a combo in after his bullshit resurrection final phase

so I should summon someone, right? I was actually having fun
>>
>>334372779
My issue is that enemies now all have instant attacks but in exchange for having fuck all poise, I can stun lock entire mobs to death and still have 30 stamina points left over
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.