[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i started playing this cause it's recommended as a good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: okami_cover_original.jpg (60 KB, 279x395) Image search: [Google]
okami_cover_original.jpg
60 KB, 279x395
i started playing this cause it's recommended as a good zelda-like game. after getting through the 20 minute long intro video and another 20 minutes of the fucking bug interrupting me after literally every action i take to explain what i just did, i suddenly get a gigantic flashing arrow in front of my character showing me where to go in the completely linear level

the arrow is just for the tutorial right? that can't seriously be something that happens throughout the game? god damn, people say that zelda is piss easy, but this is just insulting
>>
File: laughin bitches.jpg (61 KB, 498x360) Image search: [Google]
laughin bitches.jpg
61 KB, 498x360
>>334345617

>playing video games
>>
yes, the hand holding calms down after that, you've barely started

it's the equivalent of still being in the deku tree
>>
>>334345828
also, I recall most hints become optional -- you pretty much can ignore 90% of them and not be interrupted anymore
>>
>>334345617
>after getting through the 20 minute long intro video and another 20 minutes of the fucking ...

Yep, thats 3D zelda, alright.
>>
>>334345828
alright, good to know. i just wouldn't be able to handle that annoying arrow for hours and hours

>>334345970
naa zelda isn't quite that bad. they at least let you move around a bit pretty quickly
>>
You fell for the "x is a similar game that's less popular so it's better" meme. It happens to the best of us.
>>
>>334345617
This is but the first step on a long journey, consider this tutorial as a reminder to tie your shoe laces up before you continue, lest you trip.
>>
Hey, does anyone know if there's like an imgur album or mega download of all of the woodblock prints. Would love to get my hands on those
>>
>>334346150
the intro dungeon + village checking + the first side area (short) are the slowest bits

after that it feels a lot more like free roaming zelda where you go off to beat areas to get the next abilities to progress, and hints can be ignored

I don't really remember seeing that arrow again too, but maybe for 1 or 2 events.. not sure
>>
File: 1420762577246.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1545) Image search: [Google]
1420762577246.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1545
Amy a cute
>>
Yes, the arrow stuff is only at the beginning.
And believe me when I say it, just when you think the game ends, it's only merely beginning.

I beat Okami myself for the first time just last year, and it was a comfy ride. It can be easy compared to some of the older Zelda games, but there's also tons of stuff to do and find.
>>
okami progresses you through the main story in an extremely linear fashion, but just like zelda you can return to areas and find tons (TONS) of hidden shit. like it's crazy how much hidden shit you can find.

also there's a lot of charm to the story, music and environments. god I love okami so much.
>>
Okami is one of the most overrated games ever. Aside from the art style and the celestial brush gimmick, it's about as mediocre of an action-adventure game as you can get.
>>
>>334346757
I've played the game so many times, and I can say without a doubt that yes the gameplay is mediocre

the reason I keep playing it is because it's one of the few games that fills me with the sense of wonder that games used to when I was a kid. something about the combination of the music, aesthetics and art design really resonate with me

it's one of those things that's more than the sum of it's parts.
>>
>>334346757
I dunno if you could really call it an action-adventure game. It's borderline adventure-only kind of title, with the whole "point" being making the world beautiful.
>>
>>334346757
>run around
>flowers fucking sprout from your feet

it was a fun game
>>
Okami is gr8 and the ps3 remaster is really good, looks like a ps3 game because it's downsampled from 4k.

It is easy as piss though, i never died and ended the game with hundreds of potions.
>>
>>334346945
Yeah the art and music were fantastic, I'll give it that much.
>>
>>334346191
in the case of okami it's true though.
okami is 50hours long OP, you're in for a journey
>>
The only flaw I have with Okami is that it's too easy. Everything else is literally perfect as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>334348994
Oh, and the input for drawings can be a little dodgy. Apart from these two reasons, it's a literally perfect game in my opinion.
>>
>plays a game for 40 fucking minutes before running to /v/ to complain
Just play the game retard.
>>
>>334348994
yeah, even the multiple waves challenges were pretty easy and I didn't even use items

I still had fun with it though, just wandering some of those areas was great
>>
>>334349137
I don't think I used many items at all either. I think the only part I truly had any sort of problem was the first Waka boss fight, but that was more me being a retard with equipment and the mechanics than actual difficulty.

It's one of the few games I can look back on and have to truly search for times that I wasn't 100% satisfied. Art, music, characters, levels, gameplay were all amazing. It's an incredible game, and you can feel the love put into it all throughout. It really deserves the praise it gets, I remember thinking it couldn't be that great and my friend was so keen to prove me wrong he brought me a copy. Thanks Jack, I miss you.
>>
Okami is really boring. One of the worst offenders in style-over-substance.
>>
File: 1312004403823.jpg (332 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1312004403823.jpg
332 KB, 1024x1024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFf5Ac2bEMA
>tfw this song plays
It really felt like you were off on the lead up to the end of the game, damn was that a surprise.
>>
>>334349796
Pretty gud but those 2 are best tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIgC36_Rp80&list=PLLluBP3GYiRAtoN3BaVsQLwUwih_HqoSO&index=69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9wxDqBwMM&list=PLLluBP3GYiRAtoN3BaVsQLwUwih_HqoSO&index=71
>>
What do you guys do to make the game harder? As in, what kind of self-imposed challenges?
>>
>>334350304
Less health, enemies hit faster, brush skills take more time to recharge.
>>
>>334350304
Nothing, quite happy playing easy games.
>>
>>334350040
>Mr. Orange
Truly one of the most entertaining NPCs in gaming.
That aside, there really isn't a bad track in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnJRyTlFb0

That being said, this chain of tracks right here is something that always fucks with me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybO_yUoQX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRNUVgl0dE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxK58tPU4I
Sure, the final fight itself was easy, but god damn was it great to absolutely slap his shit in with an inkfinity stone active
>>
>>334350304
Play with hacks to permanently deactivate your ink. Best done with the Wii version since it's so goddamn easy to hack it.

Never upgrade with gold dust.

Only use minimum tier weapons.

Use the weapon type you hate using.

Secondary weapon only.

100% speedrun instead of playing casually.
>>
>>334350609
So you're making battles take ten minutes for no reason then? Like, fights against the flying fish alone must take you at least five.
>>
>>334350841
No, I just threw out random suggestions to make shit harder.

I do play RTS games using infantry only, though
>>
>>334350603
>final fight itself was easy

That was definitely intentional. The music at that point has a vibe that you've already won. It was a nice change from what was normal at the time.
>>
File: 49230650_p0_master1200.jpg (490 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
49230650_p0_master1200.jpg
490 KB, 849x1200
>>334346426

There's too little good art of Human Ammy.
>>
>>334350603
>>334351057

I didnt know I can summon Nagi with Moon brush in the final fight after 3 or 4 playthroughs.

Every tiny bit of new after each Pt is nice.
>>
>>334351057
True, the fight as a whole was great at making you use all of your skills, though the final part lacked two things. One kinda slowed the fight flow and the other is just flair that would have been cool.
By that I mean more unique things about the brush skills (like Nagi via sun) and the fact that Ammy isn't given infinite ink for it.
I mean yeah, an inkfinity stone works, but that still cuts into the pace of the fight.
>>
it's thoroughly mediocre. the zelda comparison is not right because the dungeons are all straight lines and have straight forward "puzzles" (like reach a dead end, bring up the paintbrush and paint something to proceed)

also 80 hours long, so quit now if you aren't liking it. finished it and kind of regretted spending that much time on something I never enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Ljnb4lo1o
>>
>>334351553
I think the game should have ended around the second "ending". After that it just feels like it drags on and on and I wasn't having fun anymore, especially when you had to fight Orochi for a third damn time.
>>
>>334351810
I agree.
>>
>>334348872
It isn't true, though. Okami falls victim to a lot of the same problems 3D Zelda's have, without any strong dungeon design to back it up, and combat that's more tedious than it is fun.

Okami is one of those games that is praised for pretty much everything but the actual gameplay.
>>
>>334345617
I fucking love this game. But keep in mind my only grip was it is way to easg. Keep that in mind.
>>
File: tumblr_mtmq5pJvUR1s9p2yko1_1280.jpg (570 KB, 614x768) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtmq5pJvUR1s9p2yko1_1280.jpg
570 KB, 614x768
It's a pretty long but confy game. I didn't even take the time to master combos.

So, what are the best combos and weapon combos?
>>
>>334352785
>So, what are the best combos and weapon combos?
First third of the game it's Reflector/Rosary. Last two thirds are Reflector/Reflector since the damage is amazing, it's super quick, and it does an absurd amount of damage. Rosary is garbage and locks you into place with it being awful ad a secondary unless it's the bead shotgun secondary(2 and 4 are that kind), and dual wielding the sword is utter garbage since the increased damage you can do is rendered moot due to how fast you can attack with the Reflectors anyway.
>>
>play this game
>pretty fun
>neat art style
>8 hours in and the story and setting is running out of steam
"Well I'm probably almost done at least, this cant go on much longer"
>look it up
>game is over 30 hours long"

And fucking dropped.
Seriously, how the hell can this game go on THAT much longer? How big is fucking nippon?
>>
>>334353294
The game is divided into three main parts.
2 > 3 > 1
>>
>>334353410
What happens in them?
Spoil me cause I ain't gonna play it.
I'm just legitimately curious as to how such a basic and simple game can go on so long, I was really certain I was near end game and the enviornments/gameplay was getting really stale and samey.
How does it continue as long as it does without the game just becoming tedious shit?
>>
>>334353542

it is tedious, and there is little change. why most people say it drags on way too fucking long
>>
>>334353542
>>334353637
disagree with both of you in it being tedious but part 2 is about freeing the capital city from a sea dragon and a plague which has you exploring the coast and the third part is exploring the northern snowy part of the country featuring time travel and Issuns village.
>>
>>334353542
>Part 1
Orochi fucking shit up in the countryside
>Part 2
Capital city sieged, you gotta slap the shit out of the kyuubi
>Part 3
Basically the big bad revealed and Waka's role and history becomes relevant.
>>
>>334353846
It is tedious though, around the middle of the second part is when it feels like it should just wrap things up a bit but no, it keeps on continuing and just wears you out rather than making you want to explore more of the city and the snowy mountain region. The boss rush at the end is especially terrible.
>>
>>334354042
>The boss rush at the end is especially terrible.
Let's be real, the only reason it sucks is because it has Orochi part 4.
>>
>>334354042
matter of taste I guess, when I first played it I was hoping for a fourth part. Boss rush isnt great though I agree
>>
>>334354174
and spider part 8.
>>
I replayed through Okami when it came out on ps3 hd and I still loved it. Such a great game.
>>
Okami is really easy and kinda shallow, but it has its charms. It's a pretty solid Zelda-like. I'd say it's only barely better than SS, not as good as TP.
>>
>>334351892
Hey Moon Cave was a great dungeon that made you use every ability you had, with a great dungeon and level design, as a "final" dungeon it was great.
Then you have tedious shit like Oni Island which only saving grace is the boss, as a"final" dungeon it was shit.
>>
Okami's overly long intro and plodding pace of dialog (why the fuck couldn't you button through it if you're capable of reading faster than a 6 year old) really hamper the initial impressions.
>>
>>334357886
I actually semi-dropped it three times during the early sections, I just felt no motivation to play and kept doing other things, procrastinating over like 2 weeks

when things really got started, was almost non-stop playing though
>>
>>334358414
If I didn't pay $60 for it new on PS2 back then I would have done the same, but I kept plugging away.

Curious if the Wii/PS3 ports ever addressed the text speed issue. IT'S SO GOD DAMN SLOW.
>>
>>334353881
part 3 was such delusional....
he managed to ruin almost entire my game experience

that fucking ball was truly a mess.....
>>
>>334354174
>>334354319
Wouldn't have been so bad if it was just one remixed fight featuring them all in one form or another in one fight, and not the Clover tradition of every fucking boss back-to-back.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.