[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he unironically thinks that Dark Souls 2 was a better game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13
File: DARK SOULS BOSSES.jpg (70 KB, 567x800) Image search: [Google]
DARK SOULS BOSSES.jpg
70 KB, 567x800
>he unironically thinks that Dark Souls 2 was a better game than Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne

Is this a meme? a kneejerk reaction to the exaggerated hate that DS2? Hipster contrarianism?

I'm honestly curious.
>>
>>334341030
Same thing that happens with the Zelda games. As a new one comes out, the one everyone used to love they now hate, and the one they all hated they now love.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is definitely the weakest in the series without question, but the amount of hate it gets like it killed or ruined the series is honestly stupid, and a lot of its DLC is better than a lot of vanilla Dark Souls 1 so...
>>
>>334341030
>guaranteed replies.
>>
>>334341156
sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't just go with trends change my opinion whenever a new game come out

But then, I've always felt like I was smarter than most people on this board.
>>
>>334341169
This. I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Souls 2 and don't regret playing it at all. It did a lot of things I wished Dark Souls 1 did, but it's still a buggy, disjointed mess of a game that's far inferior to it's predecessor or sequel.

Still a great game in it's own right.
>>
>>334341247
Oh, I bet that you're such a special person, anon; so unique and different.
>>
>>334341401
I find that most people are governed by emotion when they talk about video games. That's why their opinions are so wishy washy

Me? I don't really work that way. My brain operates on pure logic. I am able to objectively qualify the aspects of a game and come to a conclusion, without my analysis being muddied by petty things like nostalgia or console war silliness.
>>
>>334341643
No offense man, and I honestly do get what you're saying, but this sounds like the most fedora core shit I've heard in a long time.
>>
>>334341696
Anything can sound pseudo-intellectual when nobody is saying anything remotely of worth.
>>
>>334341247
If you were so smart your grammar and punctuation would be a lot better.
>>
>>334341696
no offence taken

I find that "fedora" is a term that people use when I make them feel insecure about their intelligence
>>
>>334341169

This, even with its flaws, dark souls 2 was a great game and I had tons of fun with it.

People talk as if dark souls 1 was perfect in every way, do they forget how boring the game was after anor londo?
>>
>>334341893
God, I hope that you're just pretending to be like this; that's pretty fedora-core.

Is self-awareness a foreign concept for you?
>>
>>334342059
DaS1 is my favorite of the series but it had a ton of really shitty areas.

>The Depths
>Blighttown
>Crystal Caves
>Sen's Fortress
>Anything past Anor Londo
>All that bullshit underground lava faggotry

To be honest I think the first couple of hours are honestly my favorite. Nothing beats entering the Undead Burg for the first time and soaking it all in.
>>
>>334342231

After Ithyill of the boreal valley and Ithy dungeon I'm starting to think those two alone take the cake for worst zones in a souls game. It is the equivalent of Anor Londo but Anor was fun and had the painted world compared to Ithy dungeon.

The game immediately went from fun to just the arduous tedious slogfest and for the first time you were encouraged to play dark souls like a pseudo stealth game because multiple high-quality enemies became the norm.

>>334342059

Do you think that souls games are better in the first half and worse in the second?
>>
>>334342552
Are those areas in 3? I haven't gotten that far yet, I just got to the Undead Settlement last night. But good to know some bullshit is awaiting.
>>
>>334341030
It's literally just hipster bullshit. 3 and BB are new so it's cool to like that old game that no one really understood, when the reason no one bothered to understand it was half the game was fucking garbage.
>>
>>334342732

Ithyill is the equivalent of Anor Londo. Looks like it, is the point at which there is another divergence of zones you can take.

You'll have about 4 zones ahead of you before Ithyl valley.
>>
>>334342059

I just finished anor londo... Is it really all downhill from here? Don't tell me this anon I was actually enjoying this game.
>>
>>334343416
Still plenty of good game left, but the amount of quality areas decreases dramatically. The underground areas are shit and there's a specific boss that you'll hate. Not because it's hard or because he has cheap attacks, but because it forces a timed jump over a small gap to beat it. I'm sorry, anon.
>>
>>334342059
Honestly, as flawed and as unfinished DaS feels in some places, the sheer ambition of it all is what elevates it for me. The work that must have gone into designing everything from Undead Burg to Anal Londo just floors me.
>>
>>334342231
>Sen's Fortress
haha what

also the first half of Blighttown was GOAT
>>
>>334343717
You like Sen's Fortress? I found it boring, incredibly long, and filled with cheap parts like the rolling boulders. Wasn't there a guy throwing giant fireballs at you, too?

It wasn't really much harder than anything else in the game but I just didn't like it.
>>
>>334342552
>Do you think that souls games are better in the first half and worse in the second?

Demon's?

1 - 3 was better than 1 - 1 or 1 - 2
2 -2 was better than 1 -1
3 - 2 was better than 3 - 1
5 -2 was better than 5 - 1

although I liked 4 - 1 more than 4 - 2
>>
>>334343416

If you have not yet played the dlc you can still look forward to fighting artorias, one of the best fights in the game.

But after anor londo the game suffers a little, the new areas and bosses wont be as fun as the ones before anor londo.

Honestly I have beaten dark souls only four times, most of the time I get bored with the post anor londo stuff and I end up rolling a new character, it was fun the first time because I was just discovering those areas, but you dont exactly feel the need to revisit the game after anor londo.
>>
Dark Souls II WAS BORING
jesus christ that's it that the reason.
>>
File: Dark_Souls_Cartoon1.jpg (35 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cartoon1.jpg
35 KB, 658x370
>>334341169
It's not the best but it's got its merits for sure.

>least linear game, usually have several choices for what to do next
>dual wield motherfucking greatswords
>best gestures
>long as fuck with DLC

I'd at least pick it over Demon's Souls.
>>
File: sens.gif (3 MB, 563x305) Image search: [Google]
sens.gif
3 MB, 563x305
>>334343829
it felt like a funhouse

None of the traps were cheap or anything. It just required you to proceed with caution and think
>>
>>334344024

>least linear game

Oh good lord
>>
>>334344075
Fair enough. I just really dislike it on replays. It was all right the first time.
>>
>>334344024
>least linear game
Quite the opposite, I'll give you the rest though.
>>
>>334343969
christ, this
I can hardly think of a single time that the game genuinely surprised me (outside of a few neat parts in the DLC)

Compare it to DS3 where bosses change up their attack patterns, areas have fun gimmicks, NPCs actually interact with you in field. Its like night and day
>>
>>334344241
how so? Dark Souls 2 has the highest number of potential first bosses out of any Souls game. Even if you get the master key in Dark Souls
>>
>>334341030
I just can't take anyone's opinion seriously if they haven't played all Soulsborne games

DaS 2 was the first to get a simultaneous PC port, and to do a competent job at it, and then quite a lot (the majority) of /v/ stuck with it for years until DaS 3 finally came out. That's the only reason see to justify such praise for that disaster.

It comes from those who have less points of comparison (missing literally 40% of the franchise) and had a long wait between 2 and 3. Since this board is majority PC players who for the most part haven't touched any Souls games without the name "Dark" in them it's only natural the black sheep doesn't look that black to them. Idorts and console players alike had the joy of playing JapanStudio's co-developed games without long stretches of drought or to much time with DaS 2 to corrupt their mind into thinking it had enough redeeming points to surpass ask it's failures.

It's also no wonder that those who only played DaS games think DaS 3 is a good step up, when in fact it is a noticeable step back in quality from 2015's entry.
>>
>>334344403
It doesn't keep that sense of openness for the entire game. Fuck, it doesn't keep it for much longer than choosing which boss to fight first.
>>
>>334344403

Literally almost every zone connects to the next.
>>
>>334344527
>I just can't take anyone's opinion seriously if they haven't played all Soulsborne games

I've played and beaten them all except Demon Souls as I never had a PS3. Still, I played Dark Souls 1-3 chronologically, and Bloodborne.

Is Demon Souls really that good? I feel like at this point I'd be buying the console for one game.
>>
>>334344075
>that quality
>3.17 mb
>10 seconds
>.gif
>for fucking nothing

Awful.
>>
>>334344550
You need to kill Dragon Rider to to get into the Copse, but then you're pretty much free to go after Lost Sinner, Rotten, Freya or Iron King. Then you get locked into a few linear areas for the endgame

Its pretty much just the inverse of DaS, where the first half is clearly meant to be tackled linearly (Burg -> Parish -> Depths -> Blighttown -> Sens -> Anor Londo) but then you get some freedom to tackle the endgame in any order you want
>>
File: 1346779117955.jpg (91 KB, 283x279) Image search: [Google]
1346779117955.jpg
91 KB, 283x279
>>334341030
Dark Souls 2 is the only game in the series I have never played through at least twice, it was not enjoyable at all for me and I slogged through it just to say I did. It has a moment or two, but it's mostly just mediocre in every sense of the word and a lot of design choices were incredibly questionable

Dark Souls 3 is fantastic though, that and bloodborne more than make up for DS2
>>
File: 1447518975291.webm (3 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1447518975291.webm
3 MB, 2048x1152
>>334344821
Redditards can't into webms
>>
>>334342552
>It is the equivalent of Anor Londo

Well...
>>
>>334343850
>>334343536

is the drop in quality noticeable for a first timer or is it just something that grates on you after multiple playthroughs?

Luckily I'm easily impressed so I'm sure I'll find something to like about every place. If not I'll probably just get stockholmed and make myself think I enjoyed it like I did with O&S.
>>
>>334344854
that said DS3 definitely feels the most linear of them all

I just beat the Skelly King and I've noticed...two minor forks in the road? One for the mandatory Cathedral area and one for the Fuckhuge Avelyn Swamp

Not sure if it will open up eventually
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 236x301) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 236x301
>>334341893
>>334341643
>>334341247
>>
>>334345169
Sen's is pretty fun
and Tomb of the Giants

Honestly, most people on the internet just like to exaggerate the bad because they're depressive cunts
I'm guilty of it too
>>
>>334344854
don't forget by the time you get to Drangleic Castle, all the DLC is accessible
>>
>>334342552
>>334343198
I'm getting triggered at how much you're managing to fuck up the spelling of Irithyll.
I liked the city, but the dungeon can go fuck itself. The enemies that shrink your health bar are utter bullshit.
>>
>>334345304
oh whoops, I meant TotG and Duke's Archives
>>
>>334345230
Well, it really opens up in Irithyll and you appear to have missed the lake of fire. Don't worry about it though, it's shit and only worth it if you're a pyromancer or a completionist
>>
>>334344527
Uh no. Dark Souls 2 PC came out a month after the console version. I should know, I played that mess so as not to get spoiled. You're pretty spot on about everything else though.
>>
>>334344527
>I just can't take anyone's opinion seriously if they haven't played all the Soulsborne games
If someone has only played a few games in a series and only makes opinions comparing and contrasting these specific games, there's nothing wrong at all and you come off as an elitist asshole
>>
>>334345440
is that the swamp with the giant mechanical Avelyn?

Honestly, I thought it was pretty fun. It felt like real labyrinth. The pyromancers were pretty cool 1 on 1 fights too.
>>
>>334345169

It's fun for the first play through, I've played the game for over 600
hours and I quit every single time I get the lord vessel, or I just pvp, there's literally no reason to do all that shit again, mostly because it's not very fun.
>>
>>334345169
You'll enjoy it well enough since it's your first time, but I've beaten it twice and just can't play through the end stuff anymore. It's a shame too since the final boss is one of my favorite fights.
>>
>>334341156
I think this time it's legit funposting, though, not the Zelda Cycle.
>>
File: 1455954972486.jpg (89 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1455954972486.jpg
89 KB, 600x800
Bloodborne >= DaS > DeS > DaS III > DaS II

This is objective.
>>
Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 2

From really know how to up the ante, although I'm glad the Souls series is done, outside of DLC (which if Old Hunters is anything to go by, will be ridiculous)
>>
File: well then.jpg (248 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
well then.jpg
248 KB, 1920x1080
>>334344662
I wouldn't say it's THAT good to play today. But at the time it introduced the core Souls mechanics we all like so much, but also had it's owns flaws that could be improved on.

I just think that people who only ever played DaS games are more stingy about change. look at how many people deny Bloodborne is a Souls game and don't even list Demons in rankings when in either case the only difference is in the name (for legal reasons).. DaS 2 and 3, when we look at these games at the time of their release, are clearly in the bottom. Two extremely safe entries filled with reused assets and pandering/fanservice

Demons, DaS 1 and Bloodborne are very varied between theme, world design and gameplay. They are all placed in different universes and feel fresh. The problem is only one of those is on PC, so here a lot of people cling to mediocre entries (the sequels) because that's all they can play. I'm not calling out PC-only guys, just starting the obvious fact that most on /v/ own a PC rather than a ps3/4, and so there's a higher conservation here of DaS 2 lovers.
>>
>>334341247
>sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't just go with trends
Such an individual. I bet loads of girls notice.
>>
>>334346114
>>334346103
the way I see it...

excellent boss fights, excellent level design, excellent invasion mechanics:
DS3
DaS
DeS

excellent boss fights, excellent level design, mediocre invasion mechanics:
Bloodborne
DS2 dlc

mediocre boss fights, mediocre level design, mediocre invasion mechanics:
DS2 vanilla
>>
>>334344024
Woah there buddy, you've got some good points there, but it has a real false sense of non-linearity. All your choices lead to the same door. 3 and 1 are good examples of non-linearity.

You can go to Lothric castle before killing Vordt if you git gud

That being said, I loved 2's gestures and powerstancing, 2 of the DLC were god tier also.
>>
>>334346103
>DaS > DeS > DaS III
Frankly I'd say they're all interchangeable. They're rehashes of one another to a T.
>>
>>334345624
Yeah, boss is kinda meh and I really wish they'd put better AI on the giant sand wurm. Plus all of the rooms looked samey even if it was a throwback to DS1
>>
>>334346814
I may be a rube, but I just love the height and scale of Souls level design. I love seeing the Avelyn, and knowing that I'll eventually be able to fight my way up there.

You really didn't get that in most DS2 stages. Everything was so flat.
>>
>>334341842
This is untrue. Plenty of smart people have shitty grammer while plenty of stupid people have great grammer. Part of the reason publishers have jobs that just check for grammar mistakes since a lot of writers are bad at it.
>>
>>334344662
Demon's Souls has the best unique weapon variety and builds are all over the place, but I'd recommend playing offline if at all. World Tendency is a bitch to sort out and it takes a minimum of 3 playthroughs to get everything...assuming you're lucky with pure bladestone
>>
>>334346814
>and I really wish they'd put better AI on the giant sand wurm
I just hid behind a rock and got the Avelyn to kill it. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
>>
>>334346376
The only reason Bloodborne's online is dead is because it's fucking locked to PS+
>>
>>334347029
I just stood behind it and hit it when it coiled up and when it shot lightning, It doesn't have any attacks towards the fog door, it's harmless as long as you don't get to close when it's moving
>>
>>334341169
>the amount of hate it gets like it killed or ruined the series is honestly stupid

I honestly never hear that. The general opinion seems to be that it's a good game, but not good for a Souls game and DaS1 is much better.

What actually happens is that someone tries to explain in detail why DaS1 > DaS2 and these bizarre DaS2 fanboys come out of the woodwork with torches and pitchforks - as if explaining why DaS1 is better necessarily implies that DaS2 is a BAD game. But nobody's saying that. It's only bad as a successor to Dark Souls.
>>
>>334347019
>World Tendency is a bitch to sort out
Is this a meme? I know it was really confusing when we were all starting out, but the system itself is really simple

Light world tendency: Kill all the bosses and black phantoms and don't die in human form when you're in the area

Dark world tendency: Kill yourself while you're in human form, kill NPCs in the area, invade other worlds and kill the hosts
>>
>>334341030
How do you beat the those Three stooges? I just got to them. I'm a STR fag
>>
>>334347064
and that fact that once you find where the bell maiden spawns, you will never ever get invaded in that area

There should have been one single-spawn bell maiden in every area, instead of just the nightmares.
>>
>>334347214
It's a bitch online since it sets it to the servers, offline is very easy
>>
>>334347290
Summon someone. That's what you do in any multi-enemy fight. Use them as aggro bait.

Literally the only reason those shitty fights are difficult is them all being aggro'd to you. Crowd Control in Dark Souls is shit enough without try to take 3 idiots with actual poise.
>>
>>334346103
pretty much

DaS 2 and 3 are more boring than anything else, not bad games, just.... boring, unimaginative, living off of DaS 1 legacy. Sequels don't necessarily need to feel like expansions.

The only real contest is between DeS, DaS and BB, the other two being for those who want more of the same

personally I cared for and was able to complete more quests the first time around with BB. characters are so memorable, the thematic twist was delightful going in blind and completely unnecessary to impress anyone, Victorian era would be more than enough to shake things up, lovecraft was a big cherry on top and went to show how much From and JapanStudio care and are willing to do. BB is definitely the best 1st walkthrough game, whilst lacking in PvP mechanics, something I don't find nearly as important as there bulk of the game.

DaS 3 is just killing me inside. they went back (and in fact took a bigger plunge than DaS 2) into fanservice, pandering and recycling. the weekend is unpolished and rushed in many areas, you can spot the rough edges and copy/paste assets everywhere. At least it's a competent game, unlike DaS 2, but unfortunately just as boring. Andre as the blacksmith, the generic firekeeper says almost exactly the same lines as the maiden in black, the shopkeeper woman is clearly a nod at those DaS 2 hags, and 50% of every other NPCs is also a returning character or a nod at a very similar one. This game seriously lacks a personality of its own. "DaS sequel not done wrong"
>>
>>334347469
So it's really fucking hard? fuck. i dont wanna use summons. i have a secret trump card that might work poison mist
>>
File: DAS3 - jaggery.jpg (468 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DAS3 - jaggery.jpg
468 KB, 1920x1080
>>334341030
>havel
>shit tier

he's one of the best memes from dark souls 1

everytime i go to visit him for the ring i have fun fighting him

>can't leave, too big for door
>can't go up stairs, too heavy
>can only rage around until some flipping faggot stabs him in the back one billion times
>>
>>334347910
Parries > Backstabs
>>
Ive only played dark souls one and I very rarely see anyone say darksouls 2 isnt the worst of them all
>>
>>334342231
the only area i didn't like was the forest outside of seath's magical funhouse, it felt so patched together

otherwise i loved every part of the game

especially blight-town
>>
King's Field 3 is the worst Souls game.
>>
>>334347910
he's talking about the boss fight in 2
>>
File: yeah i guess.gif (11 KB, 730x413) Image search: [Google]
yeah i guess.gif
11 KB, 730x413
>>334348232
>>
>>334347682
The fight is literally designed to encourage the use of summons, all three DLC areas have some bullshit optional zone with a special mechanic that let's you summon players who don't even have the DLC.
>>
I'm considering buying DS3
DS1 was goat and DS2 was shit

Should I ?
>>
>>334348559
It's a complete rehash of Dark Souls 1, down to having most of the same armour sets.
>>
>>334341643
Unless part of your brain is dead from strokes or has been removed you do not operate anywhere close to pure logic, nor do you objectively examine anything besides that pony show.
>>
>>334348610
I'll pirate it then and see for myself
Thanks anon
>>
Is it considered cheating if I have beaten almost 3/4 of the game and 2/3 DLC with a rapier, penal mask and penal skirt? It seems far too easy, I pass up on all sorts from the heavy hitters to good solid armour. I do well in PVP too.
>>
>>334348610
>doesn't even have Dingy Set

one job, From
>>
>The Depths
Only problem with depths is that it really does look too samey, other than that it's just short. It's mediocre really.

>Blighttown
Nigga that place would be bomb if it wasn't for the fps and dumbass mosquitoes

>Crystal Caves
No they're unique and stand out, also fun as fuck to invade in

>Sen's Fortress
No.

>Anything past Anor Londo
Tomb was fun and spooky, archives weren't bad but were repetitive, Izalith is just shit though
>All that bullshit underground lava faggotry
Yeah no it's so bad it deserves a second spot honestly. It was so terrible.
>>
>>334347682
don't summon people

Just use the stage to block the archer and split the other two NPCs up, so you can take them one on one. It's clearly designed to be used this way, with all the drops and the winding tunnels
>>
>>334341030
Dark Souls
>Original team developers

Dark Souls 2
>Different team

Bloodborne
>Different team

Dark Souls 3
>Original team
>>
>>334341030
DaS2 was coded by whites
>>
three stooges is impossible desu. i tried to poison them but it only worked once.

gonna try firebombs.
>>
>>334352468
just run and kite, nigga

Get Katanas and Havel to follow to one end of the map, then run back and fuck up Greatbow
>>
>>334341030
>nitpicked bosses
did you already forget bed of chaos existed in das 1?
or 3 rehashed stray demons?
or 4 kings?
>>
>>334350080
>DaS
Runs like utter shit, pc port can't work for shit
>DaS
Runs like butter, pc port works perfectly. Shit game.
>BB
Runs like utter shit, 1m+ loading screens and dips everywhere
>DaS3
Runs like utter shit, PC port is potato
>>
>>334344527
>DaS 2 was the first to get a simultaneous PC port, and to do a competent job at it
60fps made the weapons degrade twice as fast.
>>
>>334353102
2x degradation (which at least meant that you got some use of the duration mechanic)>>>>Doesn't work anyfuckingwhere.>>>>>>>>Online doesn't work.
>>
>>334345169
I honestly thought it was really fun, anon. I really enjoyed all the areas and just took it all in and loved it. Only reason I didn't go for multiple play throughs was cause I always get into other games and i stopped playing, but I really enjoyed it.

bed of chaos a shit tho
>>
>>334352657
I kited and killed the archer. But after that it's impossible desu
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.