[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video game design careers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: Kshutterstock_35209645.jpg (645 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
Kshutterstock_35209645.jpg
645 KB, 667x1000
>Father, I want to be a video game designer when I grow up
>No you don't son, you'll grow out of that

How many of you wanted to be video game designers? How did it go?
>>
File: 1413140996318.png (75 KB, 316x208) Image search: [Google]
1413140996318.png
75 KB, 316x208
>>334314968
wanted to be a game developer since I was a little kid

once I graduated I realised I could make three times as much doing literally any other programming job
>>
>>334314968
is that his wife's son?
>>
I wanted to be a game programmer but my parents forced me to med school, now I hate my life
>>
I did when I was a kid, but I realized I like playing games, not making them.
>>
>>334315195

Or his son with his wife?

You'll instigate racism anyway.
>>
I don't think I wanted to be anything when I was a kid. I was too busy looking at dank memes on 4chan.
>>
>>334315508
epic b8 my negroid friend
>>
File: hony.png (1011 KB, 897x723) Image search: [Google]
hony.png
1011 KB, 897x723
Reminds me of pic related
>>
>>334315195
could just be a wop they love fucking nigger hoes.
>>
I wanted to be a video game designer all my life and here I am today a virgin loser with no friends. Im living the video game designer lifestyle and i never been happier in my life. I love life everything about the planet is so interesting. puffer penguins, tribal men in Ghana, I would love to travel the world one day but im a gamer through and through. i m loving life theres not a night that goes by where I don't wake up and think "Life is great. glad to be alive. just being here is a pleasure
>>
I wanted to eventually work up to becoming one, but I didn't go to a school for game design like most of those morons do. I started with trying to get a bachelor's in computer science at a regular university, but it just didn't work out and I gave it up for something else.
>>
I tried being a video game dev, but even a fucking QA that only writes scrips makes more money
>>
>>334315176
This right here. Game dev is probably one of the worst places to program unless you work for some super laid back studio that somehow actually has good pay and benefits.
>>
I legit wanted to be a game designer/developer since I was a kid, up until I was a teenager.

Then after I graduated high school, I was in a state of apathy for a year or two, and I didn't really give a fuck about my dreams. I don't think I even had any dreams.

Then I really got into the Ace Attorney series, and wanted to be a lawyer or prosecutor. I knew that real life lawyering wouldn't be as fun, but I wanted to do it. Then I realized I wasn't smart enough to be a lawyer.

Then I wanted to be an aircraft mechanic. I took all the proper schooling and training, but the job market for that type of work is bone dry. Unfortunate, because that was the first time I've ever actually put any effort towards something.

Now I want to be an engineer or mathematician. I'm a retard in every other respect, but for some reason I'm really good with numbers. This one is very unlikely to happen, because I have to be unretarded in other subjects to be accepted into a university at all.
>>
>>334318934
My advice is, choose a major or learn a trade, quickly. Time goes too fast; if you don't do something, you'll turn into a fat unemployed 30something neckbeard in the blink of an eye.
I was that apathetic when I was 21 and my mother forced me to study something or she would kick me out. Now I'm 31, I have a decent job and I'm about to be promoted. Life isn't perfect but at least I'm sustaining myself.

If you're genuinely good at numbers study accounting. Everyone needs someone to add and subtract their numbers.
>>
>>334319601
I already learned a trade, which is aircraft maintenance.

I am currently not an aircraft mechanic, but I am currently employed in a similar industry, albeit in a very different position. It's a decent job, and it's a promising career.
>>
File: 3DhZRr1.jpg (743 KB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
3DhZRr1.jpg
743 KB, 3072x1728
>>334314968
>"Son, I know you hate to hear this, but you really should give other people a chance. You never know when something better is right around the corner, so what do you say Mike? You can still be just friends with E. Honda while looking into other people."
>>
>>334315195
Yes Robert De Niro is the real father
>>
File: 1444928743116.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
1444928743116.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
>>334321917
>Son, make sure when you put your hands on the stick, they KNOW it's real.
>>
>>334321917
I knew I wasn't the only one who saw Miguel Rossington.
>>
File: 1459328304938.jpg (325 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459328304938.jpg
325 KB, 1280x720
I tried game development around 2 years ago. I tried a couple of game engines, learned some code, some art and some music to the point I could create my very own fully fleshed 3 hours shitty indie 2D games.

It was hard at the start but a very enriching experience. I got better with every new project and ended up even publishing a couple of mobile games on the Android store that in retrospect are pretty pretty alright. In the meantime I tried some 3D on Unity and worked on some RPG maker game using heavily customized code.

Then I realized I was wasting my time because the industry is shit, if you are a qualified professional you are treated like shit and when you are independant you have to become a cuck and spend more time on twitter than actually developing games. I like video games and I want it to remain a hobby, developing was fun but making it a career would kill that passion I have for them.

So I gave up and focused on my law studies and I don't regret it. I might come back dicking around with GameMaker someday or making some dumb RPG in RPG maker but it will only be for the fun of creating something interactive. Fuck working for this industry.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.