[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Open World meme is out of control Companies try to sell their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: undead.jpg (25 KB, 637x355) Image search: [Google]
undead.jpg
25 KB, 637x355
The Open World meme is out of control
Companies try to sell their games with this shit now
why not hub worlds like Dark Souls, WHy are gamers so stupid and want to play Open world games ? most of them are just empty and filler content
>>
>five open world shill threads in the past few hours

who is shilling this and why?
>>
but then you go and post a good open world game. For why?
>>
>>334289683
>why not hub worlds like Dark Souls,
I'd rather take linear shit than the repetitive corridor in dark souls.
>>
>>334289683
I agree.
Not that there aren't plenty of great games that benefit from being open world, but there are indeed a lot of games where it would've preferable had the focus just been on the base game instead of trying to squeeze out another dozen hours by making you run back and forth.
I guess you can tell it's a bad case if the open world literally just functions as a transit between the actual game, and there's no content or detail in the world itself.
>>
File: shbokjlc.jpeg.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
shbokjlc.jpeg.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>>334289761
>>
>>334289683
>RDR
>Empty

Come on dude, most of the game is wilderness, nothing is supposed to happen. It even has a few mission you can stumble across.
>>
>>334289683
This "open world is bad" meme is getting retarded. Freedom is good. Kill yourself.
>>
>Being so contrarian you'd rather go back to the age of corridors
Sasuga /v/.
>>
mgsv should have had several gz size maps instead of two mostly empty open worlds
>>
>>334289683
No bro, there's a worst case scenario: multiplayer-only games.

Open world is fine when you have enough to do OFFLINE. Being forced to play deathmatch/team match with 12yo kids as your only option is cancerous. Really. It turned potentially good games into shitty ones, just like Battlefront and Titanfall.
>>
>>334289683
>why not hub worlds like Dark Souls
As long as you can think of an example that does it, you can't claim it isn't done.

You understand, it's like saying "Why not cars like ferraris?" Those are in fact a thing. That's why you have an example. Why not hub worlds like dark souls? Well, what do you mean, "not"? Dark souls has a hub world. So there you go.
>>
>>334291035
>Several big bases
>Forest
>Desert
>Outposts
>Some indoor missions
>Villages
>Airpot
>Mansion
>Cavern

It has more variety in places than any other game in the franchise and people still call it empty
>>
>>334292057
Don't forget the
>Oil facility
>>
>>334289683
>WHy are gamers so stupid and want to play Open world games ?
as opposed to corridor simulators, it is preferrable
>>
>>334289683
>just finished JC2
While the open world is fine my biggest problem with it is the it all feel the same as long as you are in a certain region.
>>
>>334292710
>jc2
never played the game, any good ?
>>
File: open world meme.png (33 KB, 570x710) Image search: [Google]
open world meme.png
33 KB, 570x710
>>
>>334292456
>controlled areas with actual things happening in them are worse than giant areas of nothingness
Fucking idiot
>>
>>334294558
>we challenge against Skyrim
LMAO no wonder that most open world games are shit
the mystery is solved
>>
>a few years ago /v/ bitched about games being too linear
>now they're too open
>>
>>334294870
open world are still fucking too linear
>>
File: Adam.png (3 MB, 1282x2158) Image search: [Google]
Adam.png
3 MB, 1282x2158
>>334292057
Variety in places is not the same as the game having content in that world.
>Where are the heavily guarded convoys that you could steal and get a lot of shit?
>Where are other enemy factions that will fight with the reds and you can get along with?
>Why is it that tanks and helis don't go on patrool when they know it's BB the one that is wreaking havoc among their bases?
>Why can't I have a cool motorcycle?
>>
>>334295032
Nigga walk outside.
>>
>>334294765
RDR was good because there wasn't a lot of shit happening at the time of the game. The open world actualed made the game good.
But the problem with open worlds is that developers just don't have enough imagination to create a good open world.
>>
>>334294870
The industry has a habit of going too overboard.
Note how a couple years back people were whining about games being too grey and brown, and now we're laden with oversaturated indieshit games like No Mans Sky.
>>
>>334295032
The answer lies in between. Look at GZ's Camp Omega. Open enough to let you play in many ways. Not open enough to be a waste of development time.
I know some games are not fit for this formula but most level based ones are right at home.
>>
File: muh open worlds.jpg (211 KB, 1089x1143) Image search: [Google]
muh open worlds.jpg
211 KB, 1089x1143
>>
>>334295485
I've had enough brown and bloom for a lifetime
>>
File: 1459632090490.png (53 KB, 225x255) Image search: [Google]
1459632090490.png
53 KB, 225x255
>>334295576
>>
>>334295576
>the only reason for patches is because they are so nice to us
>not like people would call them shitty peddlers of broken promises and games otherwise, lowering the prospective sales of their future products, like assassins creed
>oh, wait...
>>
>>334289683
>make thread about crappy open world games
>post picture of one of the greatest open world games
>not a picture of some ubishit open world game
missed opportunity anon
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.