[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
we agree this is bad game design?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: bg_home_character.png (420 KB, 1300x1050) Image search: [Google]
bg_home_character.png
420 KB, 1300x1050
we agree?

having bonfires 15 minutes apart is artificial difficulty for example
>>
File: 50a.jpg (67 KB, 464x444) Image search: [Google]
50a.jpg
67 KB, 464x444
>>334278959
no
>>
Better than having them too close to each other
>>
>>334278959
>having bonfires 15 minutes apart is artificial difficulty for example
If I found a bonfire 15 minutes apart from eachother I would think there are too many bonfires.
>>
>>334278959
git gud
>>
there was one part where i was stranded without heals or bonfire, was pretty exciting

...just that one part though
>>
They should have had large bonfires and miniature bonfires.

Have big ones at the start of each location and the rest are mini. Mini works for respawning, but won't recover Estus. You can warp from them, but never to them.
>>
>>334281339
this, you should see a bonfire as a beacon of hope after making it through an onslaught that's drained you of all your resources. Not a piss easy checkpoint.
>>
They're actually too close in Dank 3. There are even some 2-3 meters apart from each other. Dank 1 and 2 actually had not many bonfires, especially 1.
>>
you would hate older video games.
>>
>>334281629
sounds awful. why would you even use them then
>>
File: 1460297314471.jpg (134 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1460297314471.jpg
134 KB, 640x640
>play ds2
>bonfires are nicely plotted around
>get to the ivory king dlc
>lel only five bonfires distributed around the entire map
I hated running for my life in that dlc but that final boss tho.
>>
>>334281679
Bonfires in DS3 seem to have the same problems as lanterns in BB, but a little more extreme.
You get one bonfire for the boss. Then you get a bonfire at the entrance of the area after the boss. 50% of the time, you find a bonfire when the area actually starts, which is 2 minutes after the entrance.
>>
>>334278959
Then what about demon's Souls?
>>
>>334281853
>play ds2
I didn't play the DLC and that's bullshit.
>>
>>334281980
Shortcuts might as well count as bonfires
>>
>>334281980
To be fair, DeS is different from the other games since it uses a hub system.
>>
>>334282105
Yea but from one spawn point till the boss it's sometimes a really long and hard way, much harder than any souls game including 3
>>
>>334278959
I also think there are just too many bonfires in the game in general. I tried to justify it in the great wall area since there are a greater number of strong knights and sludge monsters capable of reking your shit pretty hard.
But even in areas where there's nothing but jobber enemies that die in 2 hits, there's still constant bonfire checkpoints. It kinda cheapens the shortcut discovery too, since you can just brute force your way to a another bonfire and have a permanent warp point.
Still better than ds2 though.
>>
All I know is I really enjoyed exploring the Undead settlement, but the Woods, swamp, and now Catacombs have been pretty boring and tedious.

The Abyss Watchers was a great fight though. Hopefully the areas get better I guess.
>>
>>334282251
There's like 3 shortcuts per area. What are you talking about? Running from the spawn point to the boss takes seconds
>>
>>334282493
So does in every souls game but that's not the point of the OP
>>
>>334281629
Hello person who can't even finish the first area
>>
>>334281776

For checkpoints.

You shouldn't be chugging so much Estus to begin with.
>>
There's too many bonfires.
>>
>>334281980
Des had great shortcut implementation in it's maps. You also had healing herbs for days.
>>
>>334282705

>implying

Why would someone struggling with an area be asking for things to be less casual?
>>
>>334282485

Don't worry, once you beat the catacombs boss, things get interesting.
>>
DS1
>Oh thank fuck I found that secret bonfire, what a relief

DS2
>How many fucking bonfires do you need? I used one 5 minutes ago and have yet to take any damage

DS3
>I COULD REALLY USE A BONFIRE RIGHT ABO- Oh there it is, thank christ.

What's the problem? Everything seems to be in order here, the Miyazaki Souls games have proper bonfire pacing, the filler game does not.
>>
>>334281980
The areas were tiny.
>>
>>334282782

I fucking loved Demon's Souls levels, and I feel like DS3 is finally the good mix between that and Dark. Less concerns about health, and more about trying to get to the Boss with as much health as you can.
>>
>>334283026

>tiny

Not only were they large, but most were also conplex and easy to get lost in. They weren't tiny until you unlocked all of the shortcuts.
>>
>We agree this is bad game design
>we agree?
Just fuck off fag
>>
>Those fucking huge shit swinging monsters
>Their attacks are faster than you can swing
>Their health pool is insanely high

>Take a left up some stairs, some dude lights up his sword
>Okay it must be like those knights before
>NOPE HE FUCKING SWINGS REPEATEDLY AND YOU CANNOT DODGE IT AT ALL.

I had no time what so ever before I died and loss 9000 souls. Then I got trapped in by those machete throwing niggers and lost them all together.

Uninstalled and refunded.
>>
>>334283175
Well I guess I only think that because I've replayed the game so many times and get through it way too fast.

The first part of Shrine of Storms is indeed way too fucking short though.
>>
>>334278959
>artificial difficulty
Man, i love that word.
What? you just wanna respawn exactly where you died? Fuck off, there are enough bonfires.
And if there isn't a bonfire, there's a shortcut back to a bonfire. Cathedral of the deep is a good example i know so far.
>>
>>334278959
The souls games were always badly designed console trash.

What did you expect?
>>
>>334283372
>But you can simply just roll through pretty much every attack unscathed.

Bad bait.
>>
>>334283372
GIT GUD
G
I
T

G
U
D
>>
>>334281897
yeah i noticed that also. no reason the boreal tundra boss shouldve had a lantern, but i suppose it does make for easier travelling
>>
>>334283524

but you can't

he'll just swing his sword of 'redirect my swing with no effort to follow the players movements'.
>>
>>334283524
>But you can simply just roll through pretty much every attack unscathed.
They really increased the i frames, didn't they? I was allways shit at dodging in DaS1 and 2 so I allways had a shield at hand. But in DaS3 it's so easy to roll through everything.
Also, after BB I'm used to not having a shield.
>>
>>334283690

>every retort ever from FromCucks.
>>
File: 1448169694217.jpg (158 KB, 908x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448169694217.jpg
158 KB, 908x1000
>>334278959
>too many bonfires so you can just warp past areas of dungeons you'll never visit again
>pyromancy int/faith requirements
>most weapons are garbage without infusions
>elevator/door/ladder shortcut system gets old
>luck and equip load get their own skill
>darkwraiths always cucked by 3v1s
>90% of enemies have no fucking poise except when they decide to attack
>knight class OP
>DaS II syndrome halfway through game: "If we can't make one enemy challenging, lets just make a bunch of them aggro the player at the same time"

I'm a little disappointed in the level design and the fact that you can stunlock most enemies with 3-4 slashes. other than some bullshit mob placement and the pontiff boss this game is easy.
>>
>>334283776
Backstabbing and rolling is REALLY generous this time around, which just annoys me that Parrying doesn't work like DS1 when Backstabbing was not nearly as reliable.

I haven't been able to pin the timing.
>>
GIT
>>
GUD
>>
OR
>>
>>334283717
>Knights are squishy and become harmless when you roll through/around their attacks

I'm not sure what you mean by shit swining monsters, you mean the bullshit that sprouts from random undead?

You can just... not fight them, or get to them before they transform, or get even better at dodging.
>>
>>334278959
Some areas have almost no bonfires while others are filled to the brim with them.

Take the area near the Dragonslayer Armour for example, there's like 4 fucking bonfires in the area, meanwhile places that really need it like Ilhytill Dungeon have only 2
>>
>>334284126
GO
>>
>>334283434
That area is small but it makes up for it with some versatility.
>>
HOME
>>
There distance between bonfires is pretty erratic, but thankfully their placement usually doesn't compromise the run to the boss.
>>
I've actually found DaS3's pacing and bonfire placement to be really spot on, though I'm just now at Farron Keep (the Tower at the end of Settlement fucked me up for a few hours due to a combination of the mini Dancer and the big explorable area)
I feel like every time I'm in a new area and starting to run low on Estus, I can reliably fight my way to the next Bonfire if I just push through, and if I die then I know to better pace myself through the area.

There's no big gaping areas of mob farming like BB's Church district.
>>
File: 1409158015446.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1409158015446.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>334278959

>having bonfires 15 minutes apart is artificial difficulty for example

What makes a person start a thread on such an meaningless statement.

Why the fuck do I even bother clicking on Souls threads on this board anymore.

Every single one of them is awful.
>>
File: i8aH0Y9.png (51 KB, 576x336) Image search: [Google]
i8aH0Y9.png
51 KB, 576x336
>>334281853
>play ds2

Get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>334278959
Roll roll attack
>>
>>334284813
Forest of fallen giants
>Leave Majula
>2 enemies and an avoidable large enemy
>Bonfire just sitting there
>Fight your way through heide knight, enemies, fog gate and so on
>Bonfire (This is fine)
>Go down ladder
>Down hallway
>Bonfire outside past some enemies

There was no fucking need for that many in that close proximity, one could argue for the one near the giant tree thing but still.
>>
>>334278959
>having bonfires 15 minutes apart is artificial difficulty
Isn't that the opposite of artificial difficulty?
>>
>>334278959
git gud
>>
>>334281679
>and 2
2 was the absolute worst about bonfire frequency outside of DLC.
>>
>>334278959
Bonfires in 3 are too close desu
>>
>>334278959
Its fine when Miyazaki does it but when "B-team" does it these tards get all critical and shiet. This is way worst than DS2.
>>
I just realized all the people who are getting rekt just suck at i-frames and timing.
>>
>>334283490
>console trash
PC games have not been any better in recent years either. Step off your elitist PC high horse and stop being delusional
>>
>>334287654

The thinf about DaS3 is that the enemies in this game are an actual threat.

In DS2 you just walked from fire to fire wondering if you'll ever be hollow again.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.