[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't played any of the souls games but want to start.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 209x241
I haven't played any of the souls games but want to start. What's the best entry point in the series to lube up for dark souls 3 or does it matter?

Also, are there like, colors in these games? I watched a friend play bloodborne and everything is so browngrey and the whole environment looks coated in oil/grime. Screenshots of the souls games look about the same.
>>
No colour.

Personally I only ever finished Demon's Souls. Dark Souls and Bloodbirne have a significant decline in quality in the later parts and become boring.
>>
>>334254883
Start with Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls. And yes, the games are colorful sometimes.
>>
There are some colors. bright red/green/yellow are uncommon though. Most things will always have a black/grey/white shading to them. It fits the whole theme of the the ancient dying world you are thrust into though.

I would start with Dark souls 1, or demon souls.

Dark souls 2 is commonly regarded as the weakest of the series, and bloodborne is more spinoff like, with the lovecraft themes.
Dark souls 3 is really good so far, but I found that the beginning of dark souls 1 really hooked me, and was my drive for progressing the game, and in turn falling in love with the theme.
>>
I played DS 1, then DeS then DS2

I like them in that order
>>
These are fucking boring games catering to people with too much time on their hands.

You might pretend that you're getting good at the game, but really it's just stupid trial and error. It doesn't reward creative play and most of the time you'll be punished for doing something new. This series of games sucks.
>>
I only just finished Demon's and I really liked it anon, now I've just started on Dark.
>>
File: 4PJMP.jpg (69 KB, 963x722) Image search: [Google]
4PJMP.jpg
69 KB, 963x722
Thanks for all the input, I'll start with demons souls and get dark souls if I like it. I'll probably skip bloodborne altogether because that lovecraftian stuff is just tedious to me.
>>
>>334254883
Most areas are very grimdark in Bloodborne but there's a few areas that are rather colorful (and horrifying because of it), namely Nightmare Frontier comes to mind
>>
>>334254883
Demon's Souls is a good starting point since it's the first game and some would argue the best but it really doesn't matter. 3 has some references and throwbacks to 2 and 1 but all of the stories are fairly isolated. I'd suggest playing Demon's first just because it's inventory, magic system, and a few other things are different and it might be wonky to play Dark and then play Demon's.

I would personally avoid 2 all together it doesn't do anything particularly well compared to the other games and does a lot of things poorly. Bloodborne is also excellent, though thematically has nothing to do with the other titles, but gameplay-wise it's different enough to seem like a very fresh experience even after 3 previous Souls titles.
>>
das1 is better in most ways than des but you might want to just do chronological order.

i'd just hate to recommend someone the souls series, have them start with des, not like it, then not even bother with the superior games
>>
>>334254883
Just play Dark Souls 3, they're all pretty much the same.

You'll onlu worn yourself out if you play the others before, they get boring quickly.
>>
Don't listen to these fags, demons souls is a terrible starting point as it's the most punishable out of all the games.

Either start with dark souls or bloodborne then move on to the rest
>>
>>334256067
If you need to trail and error Souls, you're just really, really bad at it. I think I've died maybe 12 times total in my first playthrough of DaS3. These games aren't even that hard.

You can absolutely get creative in Souls. In a lot of ways playing light armor quick action-game-y builds is better than turtling.
>>
>>334259972
That's a horrible argument.

The game is bad because its hard? Any other thread and DaS babbies will be like "oh it has grass its eezee mode."

Demons Souls is great because you find out how the series changes going out. You wont be trying to tell everyone else how the games should play like like Dark Souls 1 diehards would like you to believe.
>>
>>334259972
Demon's Souls is the easiest game in the series my friend.
>>
Dark souls 1 is the only game in the series that has colour and contrast.
And frankly, it is the best looking one because of the artstyle.
>>
File: tumblr_nmdizgbhpC1qi466no1_500.jpg (93 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmdizgbhpC1qi466no1_500.jpg
93 KB, 500x333
>>334257216
DeS is one of the most atmospheric games ever, wait till you see the Tower of Latria
and the Valley of Defilement
>>
>>334257298
Nightmare frontier,
inside the building with the brain of mensis when the candles come on,
Castle cainhurst, all very pretty
>>
>>334265980
Byrgenwerth is gorgeous as well.
>>
>>334254883
demon souls if you can but dark souls 1 is likely easier to get via steam or whatever.

dark souls 2 is real hit or miss so it can be avoided or played after
>>
>>334259972

Kys :^)
>>
File: 1459978152920.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1459978152920.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>334256067
>You might pretend that you're getting good at the game, but really it's just stupid trial and error.
>>
File: 41584.jpg (19 KB, 560x536) Image search: [Google]
41584.jpg
19 KB, 560x536
Does anyone else think of the Giant's Drink in Ender's Game when they play the Soul's games?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.