[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was she right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: brave6.png (2 MB, 1602x896) Image search: [Google]
brave6.png
2 MB, 1602x896
>>
File: 1458616769630.gif (709 KB, 762x540) Image search: [Google]
1458616769630.gif
709 KB, 762x540
Maybe
>>
One the one hand, it's not like you can blindly follow "talent" and hope it leads you to good games. Like, if you believe Hideo Kojima is the best ever and just start buying everything he produces you probably aren't going to be very happy at the end of it.

On the same hand, it's not like competition is all good either. Sometimes it just leads to a lot of "me too" games where everyone just copies each other in a desperate bid to the top. It's not like anyone LIKES the Kinect or the Playstation Move after Sony and Microsoft scrambled to match the Wii.

Personally I think you need both. Someone talented enough to not just make a me too game but with enough competition that they can't just do whatever they want and actually have to adapt to the market.
>>
File: uni pan.gif (2 MB, 252x288) Image search: [Google]
uni pan.gif
2 MB, 252x288
>>334251157
slut
>>
>>334252067
Holy shit
>>
>>334252067
>stuffed bra
>>
>>334251157
Yeah. Shame Japanese developers haven't had competition between each other for decades. Their games don't even need to be good to sell, hell, they don't even need to sell big numbers to stay afloat. Let's look and see what kind of Japanese games are being made. Another Neptunia. Another Yakuza. Another Miku. Another Final Fantasy. Another Kingdom Hearts. Another Musou. New IPs, risks in general are rare as hell. Even Bloodborne is more or less a derivative of Souls, as is the upcoming Nioh. Splatoon is probably the closest Japan has come in the last decade to creating something entirely new, and that only worked because it was Nintendo.

That's not to say the west is any better, we just have another CoD, another Asscreed, another Madden. But at least Japan has an excuse; why bother?
>>
>>334251548
I think the forefront of these last 2 generations have been mostly "me too" games. We've had some good awful games toward the end of the last generation. I'm sick of all these task list games coming that push more and more and more content without trying to push new content.
>>
>>334253470
It's true. They just need to sell well enough among their existing fans while hopefully pulling in new fans. They don't need to make billions, just enough to stay afloat to make the next game.

They're basically taking a low risk, low reward approach. Neptunia is a good example of that, since it's such a budget series for a niche audience but it does well enough to make the next game slightly better.

I think Producing Perfection put it the best. In that game, Neptune breaks the 4th wall and reveals the true purpose of the game. They're only making an idol game because it's basically the sort of thing existing fans would buy anyway and idols were popular at the time so hopefully it'll grab new fans too.

Then Neptune plummets your trust stat for making her reveal such a dirty secret.

The west is somehow the exact opposite but exactly the same at the same time. Instead of doing low risk low reward, they're basically doing high risk lo reward. The west tries so hard to punch out a regular stream of AAA quality games, but that shit is expensive so they need to make sure those games sell.

So a lot of AAA games, even those made by completely different companies, tend to be fairly similar to each other. And really, all they can hope for is to sell enough games to existing fans while pulling in new fans to fund the next AAA game.

It's ridiculous, but at least I like Japan's approach. I'm not going to buy Just Cause 3 and go "Huh, this feels kinda similar to Mad Max" for example. I'll buy the next Neptunia and the next Project Diva and the next Senran Kagura but they'll all feel like different games at least.
>>
File: punch.png (1 MB, 1170x1100) Image search: [Google]
punch.png
1 MB, 1170x1100
SILKY SMOOTH 24 FPS
>>
>>334254492
What's even going on here
>>
>>334257106
abortion
>>
>Talent is irrelevant
I guess that's why the quality of nep games is also irrelevant.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.