[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some games that would be much more fun if people weren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: 635956274163275533[1].png (345 KB, 400x573) Image search: [Google]
635956274163275533[1].png
345 KB, 400x573
What are some games that would be much more fun if people weren't very competitive and all using generic cookie cutter strategies?
As in, games that are balanced in such a way that creative and/or fun ways of playing aren't as good as the basic simple way of playing.

For a singleplayer example, I wanted to play a throwing weapons build in Warband, but because I am so limited in ammo, and because the game is balanced in such a way that it expects the player character to kill like 20 guys each battle, it ended up not working.
For a multiplayer example, pretty much every game that has an esports scene. Either you minmax and use the "meta" strategy for this patch, or you are objectively inferior and thus people get mad at you for not trying hard enough, ruining your experience.
>>
File: ..jpg (296 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
296 KB, 1280x720
>>333928334
You wouldn't enjoy anything with that attitude, just give up and go play co-op or single player games.
>>
>>333928765
I enjoy playing CS:GO and never buying weapons, only using what I can loot, spending cash on grenades and armor instead.
However I do get flamed a lot for it, since its an obviously suboptimal strategy, and my team gets mad despite me being the best player on it.
Similarly, in DOTA2 when I decide to roam all game, or buy a random rapier, my team gets very upset because I am not playing in the agreed upon optimal way.
So its more a case of me having fun and everyone else around me trying to stop that from happening.
>>
You can press the alt-fire key in M&B:W to change your last throwing weapon into a melee weapon, if you didn't know. The idea of throwing builds is to get an early headstart on kills before wading into the fray yourself.
>>
Multiplayer games will always be competitive, cookie cutter strategies will always come around, the idea is to have fun even in defeat.

The example in the picture, you can play fun decks and lose a ton, but the victories against the usual netdecks would be much more worth it.

Diablo 3 is an interesting one, since it's only cooperative, you can use some unusual runes on witch doctor and have some fun.
>>
>>333928949
>best player on the team
well you cant be higher than silver 2

anyways theres no such game that your looking for

if theres multiplayer and theres any sense of competition in it, people will want to play to win, end of story

obviously you use whatever you have in your toolset to get your means of victory

your only option is to go play chess
>>
>>333928334
Honestly Killer Instinct is pretty creative on this notion, including with Session 3.

Because of how Combo Breakers work, you can't just use a Cookie Cutter Combo to try to cash out with the most optimal damage like other fighters, because if you do that you'll be canceled out of your combo each and every time. You have to get a bit random, using a mixture of attacks that, while not dealing the best damage at times, makes it harder to just 'know' and forces the defense to keep a good eye out for just what exactly you're doing. It's chances are the only fighter game that forces you to not do the most optimal combo 24/7 and I really do enjoy it for that.
>>
I don't understand how anyone can enjoy RNG in a video game
>>
>>333928334
>What are some games that would be much more fun if people weren't very competitive and all using generic cookie cutter strategies?

All of them
>>
>>333928949
I kind of feel bad for dota/cs baddies. They get people like you in their games because they can't get themselves up the ladder.
>>
File: clip+(2015-08-14+at+07.36.50).jpg (348 KB, 1266x972) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2015-08-14+at+07.36.50).jpg
348 KB, 1266x972
Here is what you do:
First, get over yourself. The way you say these things implies that other people are wrong for using competitive strategies. This will be a thing in every game ever because as it turns out, people also enjoy winning. You will never, ever not have a game without good and bad strategies. It is actually impossible. They both must exist.

Second, so long as your goal is to win, let people complain. If you find a winning strategy that is not meta but works for you then just do it. If people complain, just mute them. Do not be surprised if/when you lose though, or blame losing on other people using proven ways to win. You chose this path, and other people do not have to subscribe to your way of thinking, nor you to theirs.

>>333929420
RNG can exist and be fun, but it should never be competitively viable.
>>
>>333929390
>well you cant be higher than silver 2
Somewhere around there, I'm 2-3 ranks into the ladder, whatever that means.
I didnt mean to boast, I said I am the best on my team because most people tryhard and remain on that level, while I remain there by just looting pink guns to kill people with.

>if theres multiplayer and theres any sense of competition in it, people will want to play to win, end of story
But the point of the game is to enjoy it. If you are winning in a dull repetitive manner, why even play?
Yes, I play to win, but I play to win while having fun. No use winning without having fun, lad.
>>
>>333929420
it keeps things from getting stale when you play it with a small group of irl or close online friends. keeping that in mind, it's really strange to me that hearthstone has such a competitive fanbase. blizzard actively pushes for rng-centric cards to be very powerful, and yet some people consider it a legitimate esport.
>>
>>333929638
You should play a game that isn't a very restricted ladder threadmill if you really want to have fun
Any Battlefield public server is better than the matchmaking experience of CSGO
>>
>>333928334
You could have just carried more than one stack of throwing weapons you retard.
>>
>>333929420
Games are about thinking of ways to overcome challenges. RNG provides more varied challenges.
>>
>>333929638
in all honesty being silver 1-2 means your a literal retard who cant even pick up his mouse to aim at someone, these ranks are rarer and actually harder to get than global elite because of how atrocious someone needs to be

if you arent having fun with whatever strategy you have to use to win then why bother playing it at all, team games like csgo require a team effort, nobody will have fun have THAT GUY who is off doing his own little meme thing because of self imposed goals
>>
>>333928334
If you want to do that, instead of shitting up competitive just go on a normal CSGO server
>>
>>333929985
>>333929731
these right here, theres is no reason to play matchmaking if your only goal is to fuck around and do what you want
just play on pub servers
>>
>>333929881
Not anymore after the grand deranking. Escaping silver 1 is a thing now
>>
>>333930146
Plenty of people are still stuck in silver 1 and will probably never leave it considering how shit they are

t. A deranker with a silver 1
>>
>>333930248
No I mean "Help me escape silver" has become "Help me escape silver 1"
>>
>>333928334

Literally the Wild format

Get ready for literally 5 differents decks altogether in Standard and Wild being the way Blizzard has intended for Hearthstone to be played
>>
>>333929650

People consider it a legitimate sport because they can't into anything else. They don't have the perspective to see why rng makes something difficult to take seriously in a competitive environment: because for something to be truly competitive, than the player that deserves to win, wins. Unfair advantage doesn't occur based on a dice roll.

Then again, poker is considered a sport, and good poker players know how to work those odds in their favor. That might be false equivalence though, because everyone is playing with the same deck,and the same odds.

The main reason Hearthstone is competitive though is because thats how Blizzard is pushing it. It makes them more money that way.
>>
>>333930796
>That might be false equivalence though
Yeah it is, Poker is an entirely dfifferent beast. Of course hands are important, but the whole bluffing and betting metagame often makes hands pretty irrelevant.
>>
>>333930401
>>
>>333928334
Competition is fun the problem often is balancing issues and youtubers
Since gaming and Internet has grown people are looking for the "cutting edge" so they Google best strategies which creates a influx of dickheads telling people how to play As opposed to figuring out yourself Which then becomes games becoming stale because they only use one fighter or car or gun or rpg class
And of course developers start pandering or try fixing shit which ends up becoming worse
It's getting to a point I think games should only be skins with no different attributes to force diversity
>>
File: 12345.jpg (28 KB, 463x396) Image search: [Google]
12345.jpg
28 KB, 463x396
>>333930401
>wild
>not full of aggro sticky death rattle decks that aim to win before turn 8 and secret paladin
pick 1
>>
>>333933283
Secret Paladin seems viable in normal as well.
What cards do they lose with the update? Avenge and Muster for Battle only, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>333933520
Avenge, Minibot, Mustard, Shredder, Loatheb, Boom

So their turn 1-7 plays beside El Mysterioso
>>
>>333928334
>For a multiplayer example, pretty much every game that has an esports scene. Either you minmax and use the "meta" strategy for this patch,

Pretty much everyone fucks around at low ranks in Hearthstone and Dota. Sure if you get to 4k playing properly and then start trying to do useless shit like Techies carry you will get flamed.
>>
>>333933749
>loatheb, minibot, doom
All decks lose these, and they arent key cards.
Avenge, Minibot and Mustard hurt, but they can be replaced without the overall theme of the deck suffering.
Muster for Battle is probably the big one honestly. But the deck can just replace them with otehr equal cost minions.
>>
>>333934021
>All decks lose these
>minibot
kek

they lose minibot, muster and coghammer. the three cards that make their early game so absurdly strong. they also lose avenge, arguably the stronges of the paladin secrets.

i doubt secret pally will stick around in standard
>>
>>333935292
Obviously meant Shredder there. All decks lose Loatheb, Shredder, Dr. Boom.
>>
>>333935476
true

it hurts secret paladin especially hard though - paladin does not have any good 4, 5 or 7 drops, but a tempo deck NEEDS to play on curve.

shredder was pretty much the only 4drop that the deck used. now they have none.
compare it to, for example, midrange druid - it runs shredder and loatheb, but also keeper of the grove and druid of the claw.
>>
>>333935786
>paladin does not have any good 4 mana cards

Paladin can build a deck entirely composed of 4 drops. It is the most saturated mana slot for the class.
>>
File: 125483209048.png (277 KB, 534x456) Image search: [Google]
125483209048.png
277 KB, 534x456
>>333928334
What would make hearthstone fun is if fucking blizzard had taken the fucking game that was already fucking made and just copied it 1:1. Those fucking fucks.
>>
File: 4head.jpg (10 KB, 322x294) Image search: [Google]
4head.jpg
10 KB, 322x294
>>333935786
>Paladin have no good 4 drops
>>
>>333935786
>Truesilver
>Blessing of Kings
>Consecrate
>Keeper of Uldaman
>Murloc Knight
>even fucking 2 drop + recruit

And there are a lot of basic neutral cards that can be used in paladin decks.
Cult Master, Defender of Argus, Shieldmasta, the secret eaters (the old one and the new one coming), Refreshment Vendor, Gormok, the Yetis are just barely not good enough to play right now. Some decks actually even play them currently. With Shredders and Belchers gone, these will be making their way in.
>>
>>333935786
holy fucking shit you've never played this game
>>
>>333928334
>and because the game is balanced in such a way that it expects the player character to kill like 20 guys each battle, it ended up not working.
The fuck are you talking about? Max intelligence and charisma, drop all points in the medical, tactics and training skills, and you can sit around at the back while your Huscarls fuck everything up while your sharpshooters cover the behind. I played one game where I played as a fat merchant, sitting at the back in my Rich Outfit having a picnic with Ymira and Artimenner during every battle.
>>
>>333935851
>>333936238
>>333936369
niggers how dumb are you? in what world is consec or truesilver a 4drop? do you even know basic terminology?
4drop = minion you can drop on the board on turn 4 no matter what. NOT situational removal and utility cards like keeper of uldaman, consecration or kings.
>>
>>333936671
Unless your opponent disconnected, turn 4 wont be "no matter what", it will be you reacting to their previous turn. The proper reaction may be to play a generic 4 mana stats blob, but as often as not it will be better to Kings something, or whip out the Truesilver.

And Shredder may be the only card in the game that you just play on turn 4 "no matter what" and get some okay result most of the time. It isnt a Paladin specific thing. If anything Paladins have the most good 4 mana cards. Run your scenario for every other class.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.