[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cover Shooting single handedly ruined Third Person Shooters.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>333926207
You have an option not to chose it.
Apart from that its a must in a game that handles guns somewhat realistically or if there is 'stand your ground" moment.

In RDR it adds shitton of immersion as well, when John hides behind something, he winches every time a bullet strikes his cover, has well done cinematic quality animation when he shoots from behind the cover and creates western like atmosphere.

Apart from that if you want all tps to look and play the same then sure.
Just throw away all those additional mechanic and leave barebones.
>>
>>333926669
There's no fucking "immersion" in cover shooting. You're literally able to look over objects and around walls. It has zero to do with actual cover shooting where if you pop your head up you might just be shot by the guy waiting for you. That's why no game uses realistic cover shooting - because it's a shit mechanic.
>>
>>333926207
It's your choice to stand out in plain sight and not use cover. But that would be retarded as fuck. Cover doesn't ruin anything... it's just more realistic that people would use cover.
>>
>>333926764
> bitches about THIRD PERSON shooter
>b-b-but.. "You're literally able to look over objects and around walls!!!"

Off yourself.
>>
>>333926764
>There's no fucking "immersion"
As there is no comfy or scary or fun or any other objective thing in vidya.

> You're literally able to look over objects and around walls.
Kinda comes with tps genre sempai not with cover mechanic, in MoH: European Assault you also had cover mechanic and it was done pretty well, you pop your head out and there are splinters flying in front of your eyes.
I loved the game just for it, when you have to constantly hide and "peak" slightly trying not to get shot with bullets flying everywhere, the most immersive shit ever.
>>
>>333926207
The idea of it was good the shit execution of it is what caused the ruin.
>>
>>333926764
>playing destiny
>has third person taunts
>I'd use them to peak around popular sniping corners
>>
>>333926764
R6 Vegas 2 is the only game I know that tried adding a realistic cover shooting option, but was sadly limited to versus modes only.
>>
Every cover in a TPS should be destructible.
>>
>>333926207
Cover shooting is necessary for realistic shooting with regenerating health.

The problem lies in the health system, not the cover system.
>>
>>333926207

Isometric view and Turn based single handedly ruined RPGs.
>>
>>333926764
>immersion
>tps
it's in the third person perspective, retard. you cant be immersed in that perspective
>>
>>333929915
One of the dumbest things anyone's ever said on /v/
>>
File: 1458886554505.png (204 KB, 540x573) Image search: [Google]
1458886554505.png
204 KB, 540x573
>>333929963
>you can only have fun the way i have fun!
>>
>>333929834
unintuitive controls and controllers (mainly the controllers) demanded that developers introduce mechanics that made it easier for players "to not die"
>>
>>333930009

>i like shit games the post

thank you for you contribution
>>
>>333930105
>LE CONTROLLERS ARE BAD xD
>>
>>333926207
I can't. Cover shooting single-handedly ruined actual real-life combat as well.
>>
>oldfags mad as fuck that third person shooters used to be basically FPS games with a visible character
>>
>>333926764
It's third person perspective issue not cover system. You would have same issues with "muh immersion" without covers too.
>>
File: 1433779140958.webm (3 MB, 848x478) Image search: [Google]
1433779140958.webm
3 MB, 848x478
>>333930440
spoken like someone who doesn't know what being shot at is like
>>
>>333930336
Well, I would love nothing more than to play RDR or Killzone series with mouse, I imagine it would be amazing especially with RDR.
Too bad RDR is not coming to PC and KZ players dogpilled some poor dude who dared to mention mouse.
All just said screamed at him collectively "you want mouse go PC leave muh console shootaz alone"
As someone who actually played shooters on PC I have to say, there is no better control at the moment than mouse.
>>
>>333926669
>Apart from that its a must in a game that handles guns somewhat realistically

It isn't. The way it's done in 99% of TPS us utterly farcical - The guy just gets the gun slightly out of cover and shoots accurately because the camera allows you to see things you wouldn't be able to from cover

Not to mention that IRL if you had your back to a wall and had to fire something like an Assault Rifle you'd need to get a considerably out of cover - To see your target, and to actually control recoil

Red Orchestra 2 has a first-person cover system in the style of TPS games and nobody uses it because using the default prone/crouch/lean is more than enough. It looks more realistic too, firing stylishly from cover and getting back with bullets hitting the wall as you do so is hollywood shit
>>
>>333929915
So basically what you're saying is RPGs were ruined ever since the first RPG even existed
>>
>>333930641
>maybe 10 people per year die in war these days
Come on, I want to see some fucking bloodshed. I want all those able-bodied men dead so that I can pick up their grieving girlfriends and wives for some "tender" loving.
>>
File: 1378930164794.jpg (282 KB, 500x689) Image search: [Google]
1378930164794.jpg
282 KB, 500x689
>>
>>333930684
if you actually git gud at RO2 the cover system is great for certain situations since your gun ends up lower than if you just popped out and you present less of a target
>>
>>333930942
it can be useful if you're sitting right behind whatever you're shooting over/around but that's a good way to get shot most of the time.
>>
Before cover shooting the majority of third person shooters relied on running around in circles shooting until the other bullet sponge guy was dead. Very few were close to decent and the ones that were all tended to play completely different to the norm anyway like Resi 4 or Max Payne.
>>
File: 1422383617483.jpg (117 KB, 652x367) Image search: [Google]
1422383617483.jpg
117 KB, 652x367
>>333930783
>All able-bodied man go to war to some sand filled shithole.
>Find there are more women than man and man are nowhere to be seen because...
>All able-bodied men from sand-filled shithole go to europe to war.
>They come of a train and see all those horny european leftist holding signs refugee welcome and such.
>Only men around cant even be considered able-bodied, just beta-orbiters and cucks and neackbeard.

Moral, all able-bodied mens are the one getting the chick, you are lucky if your mom let you fap once a week.
>>
>>333930942

I've only ever seen people use the RO2 cover system to throw grenades. And very VERY rarely

If you lean into a hallway in just the right manner you present a tiny target and also get to "retract" much faster - Getting in and out of cover takes too long and you often just get shot through the wall as you're trying to leave
>>
>>333931098

SOCOM did a realistic-feeling TPS and it was fine. ArmA in third person also feels the same
>>
File: 1288651800546.jpg (5 KB, 235x251) Image search: [Google]
1288651800546.jpg
5 KB, 235x251
I don't entirely hate it. Surprisingly, The Division has a really decent cover to cover system, and you're incredibly vulnerable when you blindfire (as opposed to other games where your accuracy is reduced by like 50% but you won't take damage as long as you stay in cover). Coupled with an actual health system and varied skills and you end up with one of the best cover shooters in recent memory, if not for the horse shit equipment and level scaling systems.

Gears is honestly the worst though, a lot is to be said about a game where a primary mechanic has to be exploited in order to increase the movement speed. Wallbouncing is fucking disgusting in motion and hugely unintuitive
>>
>>333926904
I bet you turn Fog of war off as well.
>>
>>333930026
no, you see, "immersion" is a word that means something. you just don't know what it means and/or use it because you think it means something else.
>>
>>333926207

Warhammer Space Marine

3rd person. No cover system. Pretty gud. Not ruined.
>>
>>333930684
>>333930942

Best use of RO2 cover system is peeking at distant targets. You can go into cover and look over it slightly without raising your weapon. If you werent in cover the cover would either block your view or you'd stand and expose your whole torso. And in pretty god damn rare circumstances blindfiring can be useful, if only to draw fire/suppress while your bros gun down the enemy.
>>
>>333931432
>Gears is honestly the worst though
>Wallbouncing is fucking disgusting in motion and hugely unintuitive
This. It actually takes some time to learn how to do it, so I guess you could say it requires skill, but goddamn does it look retarded, and every multiplayer match devolves into everyone using one weapon and doing the same shit.
>>
File: Untitled.png (10 KB, 425x361) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10 KB, 425x361
>>333931681
>>
>>333926207
I'd say it a problem when if a game devolves into whack-a-mole with a gun.

It's the same thing as platformers a couple generations ago, just the least creative option. It also doesn't help that its the default for "games" made by hollywood rejects who don't enjoy games.
>>
>>333931432
>barebones stealth mechanics with alert status etc
>can't crouch manually or crouchwalk at all

only thing that pisses me off. That and the very
>>
File: 1454730591692.png (185 KB, 628x404) Image search: [Google]
1454730591692.png
185 KB, 628x404
I don't think it's inherently bad, but a lot of tps use the cover mechanic pretty lazily. Army of Two handled it the best of any game I've ever seen because there's no press x to stick your ass to the wall, sticky cover shit. Your characters are free to move around and they dynamically adjust their stance as you get close to cover and shit.

It worked great, then EA took the series away from the original developers and shitted it up with generic cover shit for the third game.
>>
>>333931640
I can't even remember a single shooter with fog of war settings.

Plenty of strategy games with em tho.
>>
>>333932349
me and my bro had so much fun with army of two, that game was fucking great.
>>
>>333926207
I think lots of things helped ruing TPS.
Many of the same concepts that suck in modern FPS suck in TPS too.
>>
>>333930783
Where are you getting those stats? Are you just talking about American soldiers?
>>
>>333932393
Well obviously

They should have something similar for TPS, make it so you have to expose yourself if you want to hit anything. Rather then just exploit the camera.
>>
>>333932649
he probably just made it up, but speaking strictly for iraq and afghanistan, not a whole lot of people die over there.

a bit less than 10k americans have died since sept 2001, for instance.
>>
File: 1448935620771.png (377 KB, 498x497) Image search: [Google]
1448935620771.png
377 KB, 498x497
>>333932587
>play the first game to death with my friend in high school
>we both move away for school or work but play the second game together online
>"Hey anon, Devil's Cartel is coming out soon, let's play this shit!"
>rent it on release
>we both struggle to finish it together
>only way we can stay awake is shitting on it and laughing at it like a B movie
>return it the next day even though I had it rented for 3 nights

I want my 6 dollars back. My friend bought it on release so he's probably even more butthurt about it.
>>
>>333927576
This guy probably has the best answer

Last gen TPS was a sort-of default for shitty shovel-ware and licenced garbage. The 360 was riddled with tons of poorly made TPS games with cover systems.

I guess the "bubble" sort of burst for those games. The default now seems to have switched to sand-box games somehow.
>>
>>333926207

Cover can be good when done effectively. It's shit when the game just let's you complete every firefight comfortably behind cover, but when ai uses tactics like grades and flanking and there's destructible cover then it's fine
>>
>>333930684

What about tps? You can't use fps mechanics like lean. So what's the solution?
>>
>>333933562
>You can't use fps mechanics like lean.

Sure you can. I use 3rd person and lean in Arrma.
>>
>>333933634
probably to avoid getting motion sickness from playing in first person
>>
File: corgi.jpg (60 KB, 561x468) Image search: [Google]
corgi.jpg
60 KB, 561x468
I've heard that if you like call of duty you won't like the division.
Is that right and why?
>>
>>333926207
Well, sometimes realisation good, sometimes bad.
>>
>>333933816
They are very different games, but it's possible to like both.
>>
File: Marine_prone.jpg (58 KB, 559x359) Image search: [Google]
Marine_prone.jpg
58 KB, 559x359
>>333933816
You can't prone.
>>
>>333929963

What a fucking idiot you are. Nobody uses the word immersion to only apply to fps you mong. It's used to describe the believability of the world, and we'll it creates the illusion of actually existing and not just being it's individual parts.

I feel bad for your parents
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.