[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FEMALE LINK IN LEGEND OF ZELDA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: Link_FEMALE.jpg (53 KB, 706x500) Image search: [Google]
Link_FEMALE.jpg
53 KB, 706x500
There have been many people asking the question "why is there not a female link?"?

Well I have been thinking I have an answer.
Link in the character in the game legend of zelda.
He is the main character but he plays a role in the story too. In all the games you play as link he interacts with the characters and they interact back and thus he must be a fixed sex so they interact in the correct way.

They would have to choose, male or female?
Can't have both.

This brings me to my other point, games with women main characters do not sell. Remember me? I don't, it was a shit game no one played. remember lightning? everyone hates her.
What do you think /v/?
>>
BUT HEY
>>
>>333889753
I think you're a moron.
>>
POST THE LINKLE WEBM
>>
>>333889986
Why?
>>
>>333889753
Because Link is a reincarnated hero, he can't be a woman just like Zelda will never be a man because she's a reincarnated goddess.
>>
>>333889942
I SAY
>>
>>333890929
But in real life people are reincarnated in to all sorts of things like beetles and dogs.
Many people have testified to be the other gender in their past lives so it's possible for a man to be reborn as a woman.
>>
File: Shinji.jpg (12 KB, 421x363) Image search: [Google]
Shinji.jpg
12 KB, 421x363
>>333891789
>But in real life people are reincarnated in to all sorts of things like beetles and dogs.
This is bait but god damn.
>>
>>333892028
Don't reply to Scientologists anon.
>>
>>333892028
OP is b8 too, and a good chunk of all the posts in this thread will be as well.
>>
>>333889753
Instead of HD remakes they'll start making XX remakes which are the same but have a female MC model.
Or not even that, they'll just change the pronouns.
>>
>>333889753
I like Lightning
>>
Honestly I don't understand what people's problem with being able to chose to play female is. Can someone just lay it out. Any good role playing game lets you pick a gender to play as to help you project yourself into the game. I wouldn't want to play as a girl, I assume many girls wouldn't want to play as a guy. So thank you, Nintendo? I feel like it should have been an option in most if not all Zelda games.
>>
Kotaku take on it.
http://kotaku.com/three-very-different-takes-on-linkle-the-female-link-1743781366

I’ll admit to getting excited when Nintendo revealed Linkle, a female version of Link, would appear in Hyrule Warriors 3DS. Link being a dude has never been a central part of the character, largely because “Link” is more of an ideal (or concept) than a character with fleshed out motivations. I’m not surprised the reaction to Linkle among women has been a mixture of excitement and hesitation. Step in the right direction? Sure. Does it mean much until Linkle (oh, boy, that name) has a chance to be in one of the main games? It’s debatable.

(And hey, why not let players choose if Link is a boy or a girl in the next one?)

An excerpt from Petit’s piece (which is satire, by the way):

Looking back now, you might say that there’s nothing gender-specific about this avatar, and you would be right. But the instruction manual referred to Link with female pronouns, and anyway, almost all the heroes in all the great fantasy legends (and in almost all video games) were female, so heroes were seen as female by default. Without a male gender signifier like a beard or a necktie, there was no reason to interpret Link as anything other than female. It made sense, too. Back in the 80s, it was still considered entirely normal for boys to project themselves onto girls in movies, TV shows, books, and games, to have heroes who were women; female was the “default” gender, and the experiences of girls and women were seen as universal. But girls understood, because the culture taught them to understand, that it was strange to project themselves onto male characters; boys and men were “other,” their experiences inherently gendered and not universal. Perhaps, very slowly, this is starting to change. I don’t know. I hope so.
>>
I want to watch Linkle tinkle haha
>>
>>333892951

An excerpt from Joho’s piece:

Here’s the bottom line that Nintendo refuses to see: when people ask “why can’t Link be a girl,” they’re not asking for the option to maybe play as a girl who looks like Link in a game with a Zelda-related title. They’re not asking for girls to be kept to the side, marginalized to a lesser product and project (anyone remember the Nintendo Girls Club?) Instead, they’re asking why—amidst an otherwise very female-centric mythology about three goddesses and a badass princess—must the “Hero” character always be a boy? Why is it okay to ask female players to identify with Link despite their gender differences, but at the same time have it be inconceivable to ask male players to do the same?

An excerpt from Meyers’ piece:

I’m excited as all get out about Linkle. But I also simultaneously feel every other item on that list. I feel disappointed. I feel angry that I and everyone else still care so damn much about a game franchise that, frankly, imbued me with some pretty messed up ideas about femininity when I was a kid.
>>
>>333892946
>Any good role playing game
Zelda isn't a Role Playing Game.
>>
>>333893101
It's a puzzle game, right. When will Nintendo make a good role playing game?
>>
>>333889753
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4I31YpVqk

Link's gender only really matters in the marketing for the game. The male Link we know is iconic. When that icon is changed for whatever reason, people will feel strange about it. Just look at Wind Waker. But if Wind Waker is any indication, as long as the game is serviceable enough, people will get used to it.
>>
How about you play as a female octorok who long ago killed the hero and has been controlling him as a parasite ever since. But since it's symbiotically connected to the heroes DNA it passes as still being the hero.
>>
>>333889753
Link is not some abstract nothingness, He is a concrete character, and central to what conforms the franchise. Period.
>>
>>333889942
THAT'S JUST A THEORY
>>
Would the interactions of something like TP really be drastically different if he was a chick?

I really don't give a damn about 'sjw' stuff in games if it's optional.
>>
File: 1443232932866.gif (3 MB, 539x476) Image search: [Google]
1443232932866.gif
3 MB, 539x476
>>333892946
>I wouldn't want to play as a girl

What a gaylord lmao.
>>
>>333889753
almost none of the games would be affected if you could choose gender except for OOT.
>>
File: 109826019.jpg (36 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
109826019.jpg
36 KB, 625x626
>>333889753
>Posting feminist opinions on /v/
>>
File: file.png (350 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
file.png
350 KB, 500x378
>tfw no brother sister adventure with Link and Linkle

I want to play that game
>>
>>333894323
Are you mentioning OoT just for Saria or is there something more?
remember to sage
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.