[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been playing this game over the past week or so.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg (104 KB, 256x295) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg
104 KB, 256x295
So I've been playing this game over the past week or so. Never played a Soul's game before, didn't even realize DaS III was coming out in two days. It's been a blast. The gameplay's fun as hell, the atmosphere and music expertly crafted, unique online experience. A great game all around.
But why is this series' difficulty such a marketing point? It's appropriately challenging, enough to keep the game engaging, but it's not especially hard. Fifteen, twenty years ago this level of challenge was the status quo. Games like Symphony of the Night, Metroid, Cave Story, all similar games that I would say are on par with Demon's Soul's challenge.
>>
>>333889409
All those games are easier than DeS
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-11+at+01.36.18).jpg (114 KB, 520x643) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-11+at+01.36.18).jpg
114 KB, 520x643
>>333889409
Bamco fucking shit up and being terrible at marketing, they even forced this "difficulty is the point" meme in dialogue lines in Dark Souls 2.

I mean look at this shit
>>
>>333890151
Dark souls 3 is bad. It's more fanfiction tier story with even more fanservice. You return to anor londo etc. It's all "hey remember how good dark souls was" instead of actually creating an interesting world of its own and expanding on the characters. Most of the fucking item descriptions of old weapons give the same lore as they did in dark souls/souls2.
>>
>>333890151
Am I bound to be disappointed moving forward in the series? Demons Souls is so good, and people tell me Dark Souls is even better.
>>
File: 1399676114844.gif (3 MB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1399676114844.gif
3 MB, 264x240
>>333889654
>Running Hell in Cave Story
>Easier than Demon's Souls
>>
>>333889409
>But why is this series' difficulty such a marketing point? It's appropriately challenging, enough to keep the game engaging, but it's not especially hard.
It never was supposed to be a focus of the game to be overly difficult nor was it supposed to be a marketing tool or selling point. However, Bamco and underage memespouters pushed this shit with "prepare to die xDD" with Dark Souls and it caught on and retroactively applied to Demon's Souls as well.
>>
>>333889409
None of the games you listed even come close to Souls series level of difficulty.
>>
>>333892590
>and people tell me Dark Souls is even better.
It's really not

Demon's Souls
>each level is like a unique adventure
>can start in any of the five worlds
>tons of nooks and crannies to explore and shortcuts, but all paths lead to the end of the level
>gameplay requires you to learn from mistakes, master enemy patterns, and use your abilities and items effectively
>level design, enemy design, and atmosphere are top notch

Dark Souls
>world is a convoluted mess
>only one main path to take that you need to figure out through trial and error
>All the key NPCs are hidden in some far corner of the map
>none of the basic mechanics are explained at all
>half your time is spent aimlessly wandering to figure out what arbitrary bullshit the game wants you to do next or what random fucking item you need to open some random fucking door
>whole world is one big giant fucking maze because the devs decided to make everything interconnected to scale
>half the locations feel literally unfinished and are empty and sterile as hell
>bosses are uninteresting and repetitive
>>
>>333892772
That's the impression I got too, considering how unassuming Demon's Souls is. Some of the messages you can leave hint at the game's challenge though.
>>
The lighting and reflections in Demon's bothers the fuck out of me
>>
>>333893187
Yeah, I dunno why every puddle of water glows with magical intensity.
>>
>>333889409
It's because game reviewers are shit at games surprisingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QRIncSxsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmpUzyd7Uk
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.