[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most influential game of all time? Ultima Underworld
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (223 KB, 300x385) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
223 KB, 300x385
What is the most influential game of all time?

Ultima Underworld predates even Wolfenstein and its influence can be seen in nearly every 3D RPG in existence.
>>
>>333838183
Predating wolfenstein doesn't mean much. UU was not an influence on first person shooters.

It's a boring answer, but probably the correct one, to say Super Mario Bros.
>>
Ultima 7 literally changed how RPGs play.
>>
>>333838183
>What is the most influential game of all time?
Adventure
>>
>>333838513
>UU was not an influence on first person shooters.

Uhh, what. Ultima Underworld engine was totally an influence and D&D in general was also another huge influence in early FPS games. If you look at the level design in these games they are very similar to D&D dungeons. Also, most 80's and 90's game developers have histories of being DM's.
>>
Doom
>>
>>333839916
It only came out like 2 months before Wolfenstein but I believe an early demo of UU is sometimes cited as inspiration for aspects of the engine.
>>
>>333838183
>Ultima Underworld
Nobody has ever heard of this hipster garbage. Go post some Atari shovelware and call them an influence too.
>>
>>333838654
by making RPG combat boring as fuck?
>>
>>333838513
>UU was not an influence on first person shooters.
Carmack and Romero both said that UU was an inspiration to make ganes like Wolfenstein 3D you smartass.
>>
>>333839916
D&D was played by a lot of game developers because they were all nerds. That doesn't necessarily make D&D an influence on all their projects, and even if it was that has nothing to do with UU.

Even Wolfenstein itself is not the most influential game when it comes to first person shooters. For the early days that is Doom by a long shot, then Goldeneye and now COD. Plenty of games before Doom had first person game engines and credit can be given to them for being inventive, but the game everyone played, and that made everyone else want to make FPSs, was Doom.
>>
>>333840564
Too obvious, anon.
>>
>>333840906
>GoldenEye
>influential
What.
The only thing I can think it of influencing is maybe Halo for making FPS popular on consoles and Halo is a dozen times more influential.
>>
>>333838183
Dungeons and dragons
>>
>>333838513
>uu was not an influence on first person shooters
>Carmack literally wanted to write fast texture mapping because he felt like he could do it better than the UU engine
>>
>>333840906
>D&D was played by a lot of game developers because they were all nerds. That doesn't necessarily make D&D an influence on all their projects
I've been wondering about this, actually. Video games were very quick to adopt the idea of playing as a character, rather than a token, or a paddle, or a spaceship or something. But in traditional gaming, characters tend to be associated with RPGs. I wonder if there's a connection or if it's just a case of convergent evolution.

But we've all also probably gotten into the discussion of "what is an RPG anyway" and there's always someone who says "you play a role in every game, is every game an RPG then?" and it would be interesting if this is indeed something directly connected to RPGs.
>>
>>333841206
It wasn't just that it was on consoles but that it popularized a more realistic approach to the gunplay and the story/mission objectives. CoD owes much more directly to Goldeneye than to Halo.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.