[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TBS or RTS and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: battle.png (821 KB, 1279x480) Image search: [Google]
battle.png
821 KB, 1279x480
TBS or RTS and why?
>>
They're both completely different animals
>>
Cool! An apples vs oranges thread!
>>
File: screen095.png (420 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
screen095.png
420 KB, 640x400
>>333838132
I think the real question is

Cuhrayzee Character Action or Cooking Simulators

You may only like one, OP.

Also I'm a pretty big rts-fag but UFO is my favourite game. Its execution is just perfect. And OpenXcom adding a whole bunch of crazy unbalanced new shit has given so much new life to it. Fuck neo-XCOM shitters, UFO is eternal GOAT.
>>
>>333838292
Everyone knows appes>>oranges.
>>
>>333838132
TBS, I can't handle mutlitasking
>>
Turn based.

More time to think and strategize.
Plus they are usually against computer opponents, and I'm too much of a pussy to play against real people. And turn based AI usually doesn't cheat their ass off.
>>
>>333838132
I want to like RTS but they never satisfy me like TBS, unless its something really slow like Close combat.
>>
>>333838132
turn based so there's actually more interaction with diplomacy, trading, and whatever unlike an RTS which is just an apm competition.

I don't know of a decent multiplayer TBS game though, Civ5 games are too damn long not many people actually plays those in multiplayer. Never mind something like Vic2.
>>
What's a good turn-based strategy to get into the genre? I never finished Advance Wars... to be fair, I used to play it 14 years ago. XCOM and Codename: S.T.E.A.M. look interesting, though...

I want to get into strategy games in general... even with RTS I never played online and just survived the Warcraft 1-3 and Starcraft 1 campaigns... Didn't really enjoy those cause it was just stressful cause I suck and need to git gud
>>
>>333839872
Advance Wars Dark Conflict is the only game in that series I liked and finished, decreased emphasis on CO powers. That and the XCOM reboot are pretty good for entry level
>>
Am I a new Napoleon or is advance wars really that easy? Finished the first game recently and now I'm on the last level of the second game getting A and S ranks in every scenario.
>>
>>333839872
I'd recommend UFO over XCOM but both are good games. XCOM is more board-game-like while UFO leans further towards simulation. I like UFO because it feels like there are few arbitrary limitations on what I can do and so the strategy feels more involved and less frustrating.

XCOM I also enjoyed but some of the simplification felt like too much for my liking and also things like the focus on fewer, stronger units just went against my personal preference.

And I'll also second >>333840039. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin (Alternate title for Europe and Australia) is really damn solid and fun. I beat almost all of the scenarios in that game.
>>
>>333839309
youre a wimp and shy away from actual difficulty which is why you dont want to play real time

you're a scaredy-cat
>>
>>333838292
So what you wouldn't compare action rpgs and turn based rpgs?
>>
>>333838292
More like lemons and oranges. they're both Citrus - but a different type of citrus.
>>
>>333838132
>TBS or RTS and why?
A luxury car or a racing car. and why?

you faggots will argue about anything
>>
TBS only exists because of hardware limitations. Old computers couldn't handle as many calculations as rquired for RTS games, that's why RTS only came into existence when computers started getting more powerful.

Nowadays there's literally no excuse for TBS anymore other than lazy devs and nostalgiafags.
>>
Sorta related question: How is Ashes of the Singularity?
>>
Why not both...
>>
>>333841510
Nah, people will always play chess and board games and it has nothing to do with nostalgia.
>>
TBS.
I've wasted all my youth getting to top 500 in WC3 ladder, so I can't give a fuck to learn anything new anymore. All I want from games now is a nice, relaxed experience while sipping coffee
>>
>>333842708
>chess and board games
Pretty much the epitome of hardware limitations, bruv. You simply can't have real-time boardgames because they'd quickly turn into a complete clusterfuck.
>>
>>333842386
Not as good as SupCom, but still kinda nice
>>
>>333842909
>Pretty much the epitome of hardware limitations, bruv.

No dude, we're talking about two different things. Chess and board games are still being played, even though we have powerful computers, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, is my point.

If what you were saying were right, people would just stop playing board games because they're the "epitome of hardware limitations" and instead would play console/pc games.

Which brings me to another point: Why do you think 2D pixel graphics are so hot these days in the indie games realm? Are you going to say it's also hardware limitations?

And I really hope you won't say "nostalgia"... most teenage and college-age people don't even remember what the 8 and 16 bit eras were like but they still eat up stuff like Fez, Undertale, Lisa, etc.
>>
>>333841510
turn based games can provide the player with a significantly larger amount of options than real time ever could due to the fact a human can only consider a few possibilities within a short timespan
>>
>>333843437
>No dude, we're talking about two different things. Chess and board games are still being played, even though we have powerful computers, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, is my point.

To elaborate on that: Sure, some people probably do it for nostalgia, I'll give you that. But it's an altogether different feeling that you get from playing chess than what you get from playing WoW... some people just do it for that feeling of strategic anticipation, etc.
>>
>>333838132
They each have their place. I would like more of both.
>>
RTS because a short skirmish match takes 20-40 minutes instead of 4 hours
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.