[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst Generation Ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
Can we just admit that this is the worst generation of all time?

>3DS
Lots of good games, but almost all are remakes or sequels. System has been selling for over 5 years, and keeps getting new revisions, forcing games to have terrible resolution.

>Vita
Superior hardware to 3DS, but literally no games.

>PS3, 360
Somehow these systems just won't die, and continue to get ports, which hold back actual next gen games from being made on newer systems or PC.

>PS4
Hardly any games, almost all games are sequels or "cinematic experiences" pretending to be games.
Terrible optimization.
Terrible FPS.
Terrible controller.

>XBO
Hardly any games.
Terrible optimization.
Terrible FPS.
Terrible controller.

>Wii U
Lots of great games.
Already getting replaced with a new system.

>PC
Has the most good games, but is horribly flooded with terrible practices like Early Access and Steam Greenlight.
Consolization and catering to casuals has taken up a large majority of the games being released.

Where do we go from here?
>>
No.
>>
>>333824750
>Where do we go from here?
to your moms pussy
>>
Yeah easily
You just take a gamecube and a 360 back to the 90's to properly inspire that generation to make real video games
>>
>>333824750
>Wii U
>Lots of great games
Nah. It's just a little less sparse than the others.
>>
File: 1452040874638.jpg (3 MB, 2716x2796) Image search: [Google]
1452040874638.jpg
3 MB, 2716x2796
Nah fuck you the last few years have been great.
>>
File: 1260774599893.png (93 KB, 368x250) Image search: [Google]
1260774599893.png
93 KB, 368x250
As an idort, here are my thoughts:

>3DS
Nearly nothing worthwhile if you're not into Nintendo properties, and the hardware is far too poor to run anything decent. The good games it does have though are REALLY good.

>Vita
Fucking amazing - if you like animefaces all over your homescreen. Almost mirroring the 3DS but for a different niche, you either like weebshit and get loads of use, or there is almost nothing at all to play on it.

>PS4
If you can import games, it's fine. Otherwise I'm really not a fan of most western 'exclusives' on it due to modern shitty 'cinematic' trends in the industry, and any multiplat is better on PC.

>Xbone
Pretty much the same as PS4, except there isn't even anything worth importing. Forza's still fun, but Microsoft have taken great pleasure in ruining any decent IP they have.

>WiiU
I think I own like, three games for it. I'm pretty glad I didn't actually pay for the WiiU, and instead won it. Even SMTxFE turned out a load of wank, the hardware is awful and the tablet screen is terrible quality.

>PC
Still the best for multiplat, and gets some good exclusives. The catch? All of those exclusives are diluted by 5000 'deep' 'My First Unity Project' indie games which plague everywhere ever. A lot of the multiplats are also held back by console restrictions, and Denuvo is completely ruining performance across the board for people who actually buy games.

Yes, it's a pretty shit generation and I don't know why I've wasted so much money on it.
>>
Another near-idort here to offer my unsolicited opinions.

>3DS
Great system with plenty of worthwhile games, though the low graphical fidelity and fiddly controls in some games (unless you use a circlepad pro) are a bummer.

>Vita
Fantastic handheld with plenty of good games, though few of them are exclusive. Only real downsides besides that are the cost of memory cards and amount of stuff you need to import from Asia to play.

>PS3/360
Barely getting support from AAA developers these days, they're not holding back jackshit.

>PS4
Pretty decent games, though if you own a Vita quite a few of them are shared with it, and it should catch up with the Wii U's library by year's end if all goes well. Pretty much mandatory if you're into fightan games like I am.

>XBO
Don't own

>Wii U
Plenty of great exclusives, but this is very obviously its final year of support. Piracy and homebrew definitely make it worthwhile, much like the 3DS.

>PC
Not getting many non-indie exclusives these days, but still a fantastic platform for all the obvious reasons - the fact its now getting major support from Japanese devs arguably puts it in a better spot than its ever been, even if Steam has gotten shittier.
>>
>>333826414
Wow thats a lot of memes senpai
>>
>>333826209

Your image doesn't really back up your statement.
>>
>>333827010
Hot and spicy ones, I'm sure.
>>
>>333824750
>Wii U
>Lots of great games.

wew lad spot the bias, it has maybe 2 tops.
>>
>>333827016
It does though, unless you just don't like fun games.....?
>>
>Wii U
>Lots of great games.

Subtle wii u shilling thread?
>>
File: 1459105626546.jpg (44 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1459105626546.jpg
44 KB, 500x294
>>333826414
>>
Its been a fine generation if you don't often play AAA games. I've picked up Descent: , Darkest Dungeon and I'm really looking forward to War hammer Total War.

Y'all need to get a lot less doom-n-gloom about videogames, there's good shit being published still
>>
>>333826928
>puts it in a better spot than its ever been, even if Steam has gotten shittier.
PC was in a much better place when games were made for it, instead of being a console-ports machine.
>>
>>333827320
I disagree tbqh

I'm getting more games on PC in the last few years that interest me than I did in any year in the 90s or 00s.
>>
>>333827295
Pretty much this, yeah.

Lots of AAA games are shit, though some aren't, and pretty much any tier below them is flourishing.
>>
>>333827295
Darkest Dungeon is a pretty shitty game. The whole thing is just RGN and grinding. It's pretty much a juiced up phone game.

Nope, playing DD doesn't make you hardcore, anon.

>>333827423
Then you're not, and never been, interested in PC gaiming.
>>
>>333824750
>PS3, 360
>Somehow these systems just won't die, and continue to get ports, which hold back actual next gen games from being made on newer systems or PC.
wut? they're both deader than dead. only things still coming are a few titles that were announced so long ago, there were no ps4/xone. looking at you, persona 5. aside from that, they're both finished
>>
>>333827573
I've owned a gaming rig since 1992 boyo.

Does the concept of "differing tastes" just not exist for you?
>>
>>333827249
>not being able to be objective

Wii u has been around about a year or two longer then the other two. So I don't see how it's unreasonable to admit that it has more good games for now. Unless you're gonna be a sperg and refuse to accept anything good being said about them.
>>
>>333827573

Got nothing to do with being hardcore, I'm not posting that to compare e-peens buddy. Just a game released recently that I enjoyed. I like rogue likes, RNG doesn't bother me so much depending on what game it is. I really appreciate that the game expected you to lose party members all the time.

That's an adorable assumption you've made though, very combatative. Your opinion must be important [/sarcasm]
>>
>>333827573
>if you like gaming on your pc today then you don't actually like gaming on your pc

Not even that anon, but you sound retarded.
>>
File: tumblr_lesaqq3Pj41qg806bo1_500.png (174 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lesaqq3Pj41qg806bo1_500.png
174 KB, 500x671
The 3DS just depresses me. It has a handful of good games, and it's definitely worth buying now that it's so easily hacked, but the original DS had an insanely good library, literally dozens of brilliant games. It's a pity Sony has completely failed in the handheld market, Nintendo having no direct competition means they don't even have to try.
>>
File: IMG_20160410_141530754_HDR.jpg (146 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_141530754_HDR.jpg
146 KB, 450x800
>>333827273
I wish it was bait, m8. I do actually own all of these things. Only use like, 2 of them. Every single platform this gen has been a disappointment.
>>
>>333827730
Not that anon but you're either baiting or mentally retarded. Even today you would be getting games made in the 90s-00s for cheap/free rather than the garbage they're putting out now, if you weren't retarded.
>>
>>333824750
>Terrible controller for both ps4 and X one but not wii u
>>
>>333827856
There's been plenty of good games for PC in the last few years m8. How about you stop looking only at AAA games and walking sims.
>>
>>333826414
>>333827320
>>333827573
>>333827803
>>333827850
The only correct posts.
>>
I'll comment on the systems I own and why I do not others:

>3DS [have]
A disappointment compared to the DS, by far. Both in terms of hardware (mostly it's just the 240p that's cancerous as fuck), and library. Mobiles really gave handhelds a huge hit in term of third party support.

>Vita [don't have]
Costs too much for the 2 games I'd get for it. I'll buy it when it gets nvidia shield-tier emulation going. But for now the homebrew is irrelevant.

>PS4 [don't have]
I'll consider buying one in 4 years or so. Right now there are just no games. Plus, PS4K, N3DS and other shit like that, from now on I'm only buying consoles when their generation ends.

>XBO [don't have]
MS caved in to the short term profits and is giving up exclusives for it. Literally pointless to own one. Good.

>WiiU [have]
The fact that it has the best library of the gen speaks volumes to the low quality of this generation overall. It's not even as good as the gamecube library, yet the PS2 had ten times its library, for example. This gen just doesn't have games.

>PC
Multiplayer king, MMOs keep being more and more cancerous, indies keep being more average, but it's getting more and more ports/multiplats. Which is all I want - play all the games on a single powerful platform.
>>
File: 1460071693565.png (209 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460071693565.png
209 KB, 1000x1000
>>333827856
Calling me a retard isn't a proper substitute for an argument, anon.

I love Japanese games and the PC finally getting them outweighs the fact it gets less AAA western exclusives that it used to for me, that's all.

The fact that the rise of indie games has also led to me playing a shitload of great games that simply couldn't have existed in the market a decade or two ago is also a big boon in my eyes for modern pc gaming
>>
>>333827968
What else is there? MOBAs? Sub-par kickstarter-funded entries into genres which peaked long ago? Let me guess, you're an Undertale fan.
>>
File: 1460015020449.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1460015020449.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>333828195
>>
>>333828127
>I love Japanese games and the PC finally getting them
Like what, exactly? This being an idort thread you should've had consoles in previous gens so why does it matter if you got them on PC or your console of choice in the past? We're actually getting fewer Japanese games now than we did back then.
>>
>>333828195
It's really sad that you think there's no other alternative to AAA trash. Do you just have no desire to actually explore the current market? Why are you even here?
>>
>>333828195
Just RTS, grandstrat, 4X, CRPG, simulation, arenaFPS. But it's not a cinematic pseudo-action game so you don't know about them.
>>
>>333824750
>Wii U
>Great games
Pick none
>>
>>333828195
Well, let me just go through my steam list can't be arsed to list non steam games right now although those are more. I'll go from ~2010
>Terraria
>Portal 2
>100% Orange Juice
>The Talos Principle
>Risk of Rain
>BoI Rebirth
>Skullgirls
>Freedom Planet
>Torchlight 2
>FTL
Eh enough for now.
>>
>>333828434
>RTS
Dead.
>4X
Why are you listing genres twice
>CRPG
D:OS backer detected
>simulation
I thought we weren't talking about walking sims
>arenaFPS
Oh joy, FPS. Wake me up when Tribes is back or Valve makes something worth a damn.
>>
>>333828353
>Like what, exactly?
Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Final Fantasy, I Am Setsuna, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Metal Gear, anime fightan games in general, increased visual novel translation rates, Disgaea, pretty much everything Compile Heart and Koei Tecmo make, EDF, God Eater,Senran Kagura, etc. It matters to me because playing them at 1440p@60fps feels fucking great, and the possibility of mods exists on PC - so even if I think they're fine on consoles, PC is my preferred platform if possible.

And you're delusional if you think we're getting few Japanese games than we used to.
>>
>>333828434
Fucking this. All these pretentious fags talking about shitty early access games when there's plenty of good shit coming out or already released that don't get a bunch of big press because they aren't targeting modern gaymer casuals.

I've been enjoying the fuck out of Call to Arms, and I'm hyped as shit for Hearts of Iron 4 and Escape from Tarkov.
>>
>>333828687
>Wake me up when Tribes is back

It has been for a few months now, unless you're a "muh flagdrag" shitter
>>
>>333828687
>RTS and 4X are the same genre
>Valve making anything, let alone FPS's worth a damn

3/10 you got me to respond.
>>
>>333828721
Some Early Access games are decent, but I really do wish Valve would segregate Early Access from the store just to stop people from buying something completely incomplete then complaining it's completely incomplete.
>>
>>333828687

Different anon but just posting strong opinions doesn't mean youre posting something intelligent. That post was fucking trash and you should be ashamed that you wrote it in the first place. Either smarten the hell up or don't come to this board, I shouldn't have to scold you for this crap.

I'd assume you were smarter than this, blindly posting opinions to piss people off.
>>
>>333828827
My feelings on it as well. EA doesn't belong on the front page. May as well be advertising fucking kickstarters.

It'd be an incentive for all these talentless hacks to actually finish the lion's share of their games before trying to bilk money out of people at least.
>>
>3DS
Typical nintendo shit. Online play sucks, store sucks, gimmick shit. Some worthwhile games if you like Pokemon or Animal Crossing.
>Vita
I hope you like grinding and Visual Novels. Would be great if there were actual games.
>PS3/360
Meh, have been around for way too long. Were good for their time but it's time to let them die.

>bone and psnogames again
Literally nothing

>WiiU
See 3DS.

>PC
Fucking Stepchild that gets whatever the other ones don't really want in console ports and some good exclusives. A LOT OF SHIT though. Steam being the only real platform for digital games fucks up a lot of shit too. Early Access, Greenlight and Unity have destroyed a lot of PC gaming.

It kinda feels like there hasn't been much improvement in the last 10 years. It kinda feels like creativity is mostly gone. It's a shitton of retarded sequels and like minecraft clone xy.
>>
>>333828712
>And you're delusional if you think we're getting few Japanese games than we used to
Aside from weebtrash waifu sims we are getting less, you're delusional if you don't think big Japanese devs disappearing or otherwise not making games somehow means we have more big Japanese titles now than we did in their heyday.
>>
Man I'm not even into Nintendo or simulation/RTS games and I still think the future of this gen looks incredible.

>Western Console/PC Games
Ratchet and Clank
Overwatch
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Uncharted 4
Mirror's Edge
Horizon: Zero Dawn
No Man's Sky
WiLD
Tyranny
Divinity: Original Sin 2

>Japanese Console/PC Games
Persona 5
NieR: Automata
Final Fantasy XV
Nioh
Gravity Rush 2
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Trails in the Sky Third Chapter
Tekken 7
King of Fighters 14
Ace Combat 7

>Handheld Games
Trails of Cold Steel 2
Ys VIII
Tokyo Xanadu
Steins;Gate 0
Zero Time Dilemma
Danganronpa V3
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Shiren the Wanderer 5+
Stranger of Sword City
Project Diva X

>Indie Games
Yooka Laylee
Va-11 Hall-a
The Banner Saga 2
Alienation
Cuphead

Actually, do any of y'all have any recent RTS or grand strategy games you recommend? Reading this thread kinda has me wanting to give them another shot.
>>
>>333828846
This post is fucking trash and you should be ashamed you don't have a single fucking argument to make.
>>
>>333828910
Yeah, EA should at most have its own seperate store page that just consists of it.

It'd free up the main store page and give more EA games exposure at the same time, its a win win for everyone.
>>
>>333828627
>Terraria
>Portal 2
Stopped reading there.
>>
3DS and Vita have a bunch of games I like, so I'm fine with it.

>caring about home consoles after last gen's shitshow
>>
>>333828992
So your argument is just "WAAAH THOSE GAMES DON'T COUNT" and "WAAAH REALITY ISN'T TRUE, IF I DENY IT THEN IT'S WRONG"?

Okay, cheers for letting me know you ain't worth talking to any further.
>>
>>333829207
Portal 2 was really good, it was just extremely fucking short.
>>
>>333829207
Sounds like a major case of shit taste.
>>
>>333826209
Hahaha, man, I bet people who died in 2013 are furious that they never got to experience Infamous: Second Son.
>>
>>333829001
>Dishonored 2

I try not to get excited about games due to inevitable disappointment, but I just finished playing through the first game again and I'm feeling the hype.

I actually think the first is quite underrated at this point. The writing for the main storyline is atrocious (making Corvo a silent protagonist was a terrible decision) but there are lots of nice little touches I never really noticed before. Visiting Emily after every mission really helps to build the bond between the two characters.
>>
>>333829409
Probably some are, yeah. It was a really fun game.
>>
>>333829473
Dishonored 1 is one of the biggest sufferers from playtesting. If they didn't have to streamline the fuck out of it in order to have idiots be able to finish it it'd be something really special.

I remember reading how one of their playtesters was told they weren't allowed into the party, and then proceeded to be confused about what to do because they never considered just finding another entrance and breaking in.
>>
>>333829473
You should check out the DLC, its legitimately far better than the main game and shows they'd been taking player feedback into consideration from the moment the game released.

It got me way more hype for D2
>>
>>333829602
Ah, Valve-syndrome
>>
>>333829226
>Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Final Fantasy, I Am Setsuna, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Metal Gear, anime fightan games in general, increased visual novel translation rates, Disgaea, pretty much everything Compile Heart and Koei Tecmo make, EDF, God Eater,Senran Kagura, etc
The reality is that's far less than what we got per gen in gens 3-7, unless you count every visual novel individually in which case you're arguing on a technicality.
>>
>>333824750
>but almost all are remakes or sequels
Bullshit. The problem with the 3DS is that 70% of its best games are RPGs, and not enough action games like Monster Hunter or Kid Icarus. Nobody plays the 3DS for the ports/remakes. What is wrong with sequels, anyway?
>>
>>333829614
I've played the DLC too, Daud definitely made for a better protagonist. Felt like the level design was improved a lot too, designed more with the use of powers in mind. Being able to freeze in mid-air with Blink was fucking wonderful too, such a small change but it made moving around much more fun.

I hope Dishonored 2 follows the DLC in having enemies that are on a more even footing with you. The witches are far more interesting to deal with than regular guards.
>>
>>333827803
Remember that a lot of the DS had great third-party games, too, not just Nintendo-games. I was so stoked when I first heard of Castlevania for 3DS, and then I saw it.
>>
>>333829703
We're getting far more.

It's just most of them are mobile games, because that's the demand in Japan. Last gen it was portables, because mobile hadn't quite picked up enough steam yet.
>>
>>333829756
THIS
>>
>>333824750
Kill yourself
>>
>>333829263
It was inferior to the original. A big, bland sequel that didn't need to exist and probably sucked up dev efforts from other projects that would've deserved it more.
>>
>>333828824
>CS was never a thing
>Half-Life sux XDD
2/10
>>
>>333830269
>It was inferior to the original
Sure. It was still good though.
>>
>No games

There's that meme again.
>>
File: Laughing bitches.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Laughing bitches.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>333830424
>Valve made CS
Valve hasn't made a game since 2007
>>
>>333828195
BRO, DIDN'T YOU SEE THE EARLY ACCESS GAME TOTAL BIZKIT PUT UP ON HIS CHANNEL?

PC gaming and its community has fallen to shit since last generation.
>>
>>333830614
>Left 4 Dead 2
>Portal 2
>DotA 2
>CS:GO
>>
The Souls series is seriously the only modern series that has consistently pleased me, only letting me down with dark souls 2 which still was nowhere near as bad as something like Silent Hill Homecoming or DmC.
>>
>>333830847
>Turtle Rock
>Some indie studio they bought out
>Icefrog and completely ripping off characters and art style from Warcraft 3
>CS and TF are from developers they bought

Also,

>CS:GO
>Paying money for literally the same maps and same guns to play over and over and over again

And they say that CoD is the same thing every year.
>>
>>333830847
>Valve made those
Please, if you're a post-2007 casual, don't talk about shit you know nothing about.
>>
>>333824750
>>PS4
>Hardly any games
>>PC
>Has the most good games

PC only fags are so dysfunctional they make me feel real good about myself.

But on topic, so far the gen is pretty great. MGS V followed by BB, W3; all fantastic games. New games by team Siren are made, Vanillaware too. Dangan Ropa is on PC which is great since I never bother with handhelds. Great stuff over all.
>>
>>333831175
>Icefrog and completely ripping off characters and art style from Warcraft 3

Dude there's a thing called hubris. Chris Metzen is the biggest thief in the history of gaming. Everything he has "created" is Tolkien rip offs at best.
>>
>>333832876
Warhammer actually, they invented green orcs, but yeah.
>>
>>333828796
>shitty "do you still love us guise" patch that changes the whole game after they burned everybody
All they had to do was roll it back to what people liked and fix a few bugs.
>>
Its true. This console generation has been AWFUL
>>
>>333834358
>Its true.

what's true ? literally the entire thread was taking a dumb at OP.
>>
>>333834358
Ding dong this is wrong
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.