[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So about to play these games for the first time, but I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: metro-20331.jpg (782 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
metro-20331.jpg
782 KB, 1920x1200
So about to play these games for the first time, but I can't get a clear consensus as to which versions to play? Every thread I've ever seen about it is so back and forth over which is bettter that I'm confused. Is one version bad or something?

I've played a bit of the original and the Redux (up to about chapter 3) and they both seem pretty much the same. I felt like I have to conserve ammo more in the original, but maybe that's just like a placebo or something

Thoughts?
>>
>>333817271
REDUX are literally consolized, more casual versions of the originals, with downgraded visuals on top, just to make them run smoother.

I personally would ONLY play the OG 2033, and then go play STALKER. The Metro games are very linear, and IMO very single - use only kind of games.
>>
>>333818206
I've always wanted to get into the STALKER series, but I've just never really done it. Played a bit of the first one.

Visuals aren't a biggie for me, but is Redux really more casualized? I guess I didn't get far enough to really notice, but that would be enough incentive not to play that version if so.

Playing on Ranger hardcore so i was wanting the games to be hard.
>>
>>333818372
Redux dumbed down stealth
>>
File: Bastard Metro Redux.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bastard Metro Redux.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>333818206
This man speaks the truth.
It's fucking shameful how the downgraded/consolized version in all aspects is being advertised as the best one.
Original 2033 is must, Last Light (here you can pick Redux) is worth one playthough but will be dissapointing depending on how much you liked the first.
>>
Redux changed the gun mechanics and stealth. I'll admit that 2033's original shooting felt a bit clunky, but I honestly think it added to the experience. The redux version makes it feel too CoD-like.
>>
File: Bastard Metro 2033.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bastard Metro 2033.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>333818548
>>
File: Black Station Metro Redux.webm (3 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
Black Station Metro Redux.webm
3 MB, 720x400
>>333818517
Look at the clueless AI in action even if you break stealth (which you have to on purpose because of how fucking blind and deaf the AI is).
>>
>>333818603
This.
The original's stealth and gunplay felt clunky and almost frustrating, which I personally felt added to the concept of just being some random jack-off exploring the metros filled with danger and shit wanting to kill you.

I'd always play the original first anyway, if you then play redux and like it more then sure.
However if you play redux and then play the original, you're just going to be annoyed at all the stuff that's different.
>>
Alright cool, so it probably wasn't my imagination about ammo and stuff then. Guess I'm playing the original

>>333818548
Is there no difference between LL and LL Redux? I only have the Redux version of that one.
>>
File: Black Station Metro2033.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Black Station Metro2033.webm
3 MB, 720x404
>>333818695
Original for comaprison, guy in the tunnel below already alerted because suppressed weapon =/= complete silence.
>>
Not OP here. Am I getting this right that you're not missing out on gameplay or atmosphere if you buy the Redux version of Last Light?

I played the original version of the first game, but recently bought LL Redux, and I'm wondering if that was a mistake.
>>
>>333818767
>Is there no difference between LL and LL Redux? I only have the Redux version of that one.
I believe they beefed up the graphics, but that's about it.
>>
>>333818767
The Redux version of LL is basicly an update, no dramatic changes like 2033 Redux.
>>
>>333818803
LL redux didn't change much, many people prefer it over original version.

Only one that's objectively better than the Redux is 2033
>>
Example of shitty lighting, recoil and cut litte details between mil rounds and ditry ones.
>>
>>333818803
LL redux only has graphics changes
2033 redux is 2033 with LL's mechanics
>>
>>333818803
It doesn't make too much of a difference. LL Redux might as well be the same game as LL.
>>
>>333818794
>because suppressed weapon =/= complete silence

I wish more games did this. Unless you're using a suppressor with subsonic bullets, it's still loud as shit especially indoors. Even with a suppressor and subsonic bullets, you need a smaller caliber round like a .22 for it to truly be whisper quiet.
>>
>>333818985
>>
>>333818942
>>333818995
>>333819009
Thanks.
>>
Are any of Last Light's DLC worth picking up?

I played it when it first came out and am thinking about doing another run through - now I see they have some DLC out.
>>
>>333818850
>>333818827
Cool cool. Thats good to know

Glad I got unanimous opinion on this one. Didn't expect that from /v/
>>
>>333819016
What game devs and Hollywood don't realize is that supressors aren't meant to silence shots, but muffle and disguise them.
>>
File: Dry Metro Redux.webm (3 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
Dry Metro Redux.webm
3 MB, 720x400
>>333819016
Sadly CoD kids will complain about "broken" AI because they don't know shit about guns and don't even notice their surroundings like broken glass, underground that creates noise etc.

In case you are wondering why enemies catch fire, that's added for retards so they know that they accidently loaded military rounds.
The original changes sound of the wapon and muzzle flash, but subtlety is lost on morons.
>>
>>333819081
The DLCs are pretty solid, but I have a tremendous hard-on for the series setting and atmosphere, so I might be biased.
>>
File: Dry Metro2033.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Dry Metro2033.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>333819252
>>
>>333819252
>In case you are wondering why enemies catch fire, that's added for retards so they know that they accidently loaded military rounds

>played a considerable amount of the metro redux games
>never noticed this as I never used military rounds
Time to continue never using it.
>>
>>333819252
>People set on fire because """millitary""" rounds
Glad that I didn't buy Redux.
>>
>>333819424
In the original you want to use them as that's the only way to snipe guys with helmets in one shot with the VSK.
In redux it doesn't matter of course, even knives pierce body armor easily while they bounce off the armored parts in 2033.
>>
>>333819081
The spider nest is spooky
The arena is useless.
The sniper dlc is absolutely atrocious.
The free-roam one is actually godlike, the best of them all.
>>
>>333819627
Ah fair enough, in original 2033 I just snuck around and threw knives rather than going for snipes.
>>
>easy is more difficult than ranger hardcore
Those casuals never had a chance
>>
Why are the main themes so damn good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7H0QfU5J04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaJzmUqa1s
>>
>>333819128
I hate to be devil's advocate, but I can't understand how people are saying 2033 redux is casualized. The only way redux felt more casual was the ability to knock out enemies as opposed to using your throwing knife, but that was balanced by ramping up the amount of enemies you have to sneak past.

IMO Redux 2033 difficulty > Vanilla 2033 difficulty.
>>
>>333820096
>removed traps in most levels
>made stealth binary with a loud as fuck warning noise when you are about to be detected
>the detection is delayed
>enemies forget that somebody was killing their buddys after a certain time passed
>enemies don't hear you sprint or drop from heights
>throwing knives are armor piercing

That's just a few things from the top of my head.
>>
>>333820329
Yeah, I actually watched some of the webms after I posted and I can see where things are casualized. The thing is, I never play the game that way, I try to stealth by without killing every enemy which made certain levels a nightmare on redux. The above ground Reich base in particular took me forever to beat and the fuckers still went defcon 1 once I got to the other side of the building.
>>
Did anyone else hate how in 2033, the dark ones were supposed to be ambiguous, but in Last Light the whole game Khan is saying ARTYOM YOU HAVE TO SAVE THE DARK ONES THEY ARE GOOOOOOOOOOOOD HUMANS ARE BAAAAAAAAAAAAD ARTYOM!!!!!
>>
>>333820692
Everything involving Khan in LL is fucking batshit retarded.
I loved the first half of LL, despite some casualisations to stealth or whatever the atmosphere and surface parts were great and atmosphere is why i play Metro for the most part.
But then you find this fucking dark one and they start talking to you and basically on about wanting to be a human child like what the fuck and then I absolutely lost my shit at ARTYOM THIS RIVER IS MAGIC. I know the games always had some supernatural element, but 2033 was kinda limiting your exposure to it and all of it seemed like small interesting mysteries that didnt venture massively far from what we could buy (like ghosts or anomalies) rather than just a motherfucking river that magical mcguffins you to your destination.
>>
>>333820692
The whole story in LL felt like a forced guilt trip, also they made the nazis and communists comic book villians instead of portraying both sides more human.
>>
>>333820894
That part was bullshit.
>>
>>333820692
Their ambiguity can't really resonate in the sequel, when the first game resolved it most definitely.
I'm more bothered by the little shit being super upfront about watching your every step. The whole moral system, or rather open-mindedness system, was executed perfectly in the original, but banking on it the second time as a core feature only undermines its subtlety.
>>
>>333820938
I swear the whole communist and Pavel logic really didn't make very much sense. I get they wanted us for information on the vault, but they were like "you could be our spy!" but then torture you, as if that endears you to their cause.
>>
>>333821109
I still feel like the Dark Ones weren't even strictly needed for the sequel. It could have been all about the metro conflict over the vault and everyone wanting a piece of it and wouldn't have lost very much.
Then again I've not read the books, I don't know how insistent the author is at making them core to the stories.
>>
any news on a metro 3?
>>
>>333821596
Complete radio silence from 4A after they reopened their studio in Malta.
>>
>>333819840
How so
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.