[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Bunch of guys are remaking battlefront 3 using the BF3 l
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11
File: CfmFjtYW4AEno3M.jpg:large.jpg (45 KB, 741x613) Image search: [Google]
CfmFjtYW4AEno3M.jpg:large.jpg
45 KB, 741x613
>Bunch of guys are remaking battlefront 3 using the BF3 leak's assets
WHY ISNT ANYBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS
https://twitter.com/GalaxyinTurmoil
>>
>>333815038

Because they're just going to get shut down by Disney's legions of lawyers.
>>
because it's gonna get a C&D.
>>
>>333815038
Just wait, they're gonna get slapped with a Cease and Desist from Disney/EA.
They're using copyrighted materials from an illegal leak.
>>
Why did they announce this now? Just finish the damn thing and then release it so lawyers don't mess it up halfway through
>>
>>333815375
Holy shit this. Keep it on the down low and then start talking about it once it's out there.
>>
>>333815267
>>333815268
>>333815273
>>333815375
Hivemind
>>
>>333815038
prolly a hoax because nobody can be this dumb
>>
Because Disney literally has the power to kill you if they wanted to and will fucking annihilate them with a Cease & Desist.

Retards need to learn to shut the fuck up until their games are done.
>>
File: 1380104113811.jpg (29 KB, 330x327) Image search: [Google]
1380104113811.jpg
29 KB, 330x327
>Making a game based on a property owned by Disney (without permission), using leaked assets from a game by EA (without permission)

"This is what I was wearing when I was sued beyond poverty, tell me I asked for it. I DARE you."
>>
>>333815656
>Disney has the power to kill you

>be programmer in my freetime
>start a little side hobby with the new BF3 assets to make a more true to life game from the original franchise
>late night at the office (basement), all the other guys have gone home
>here a sniggering from upstairs
>knock on the door
>go to my frontdoor, see what likes like the shadow of a rabbit
>just as I try to open it the door kicks in,
>its fucking mickey mouse
>"M-I-C-K-E-Y MOTHERFUCKER
>cracks my knne cap in with a baseball bat
>fall down in pain
>Donald duck is mouthbreathing at my kitchen window
>goofy asking whether he can rape me first
>mickey mouse comes over and finishes me off with a smack of his baseball bat
>last thing I hear in my mortal coil
>"shoulda bought the season pass you little bitch AHOY HOY"
>>
>>333815656
>Retards need to learn to shut the fuck up until their games are done.
Holy shit this. Nobody lets fan projects live, why the fuck do people keep starting them? If they're so talented they should just make a "spiritual successor" or something. There's literally no excuse not to in the age of free game engines and kickstarter.
>>
File: 1126.gif (45 KB, 389x259) Image search: [Google]
1126.gif
45 KB, 389x259
>>333815986
>>
>>333815986
Unfunny
>>
>>333815038
If they actually release it would be amazing, I'd play it for sure.

I am still seeding that leaked BF3 copy from a few months back.
>>
Cease&desist in 3. 2. 1...
>>
>>333815038
>WHY ISNT ANYBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS
the more attention it gets, the higher the chances this will get fucked so shut up and wait silently its completition
>>
>Making a twitter account
>trying to spread the word on this
What kind of fucking retards are they
They might as well spread their cheecks and wait for EA and Disney to show up
>>
post for interest
>>
File: meta.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
meta.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>333815267
>>333815268
>>333815273
all they have to do is slightly edit the features and names

wew
>>
File: 1437073531976.png (21 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1437073531976.png
21 KB, 800x600
>>333815656
>>333816010
What would keeping the project silent do? Get it finished so that they can then C&D it?

Fuckers should learn to export all their tripe into UE4 so they can actually make money.
>>
>>333815375
>>333815505
they want a job with disney

>make something cool to show you can code pro-tier
>you get notoriety for it/hype
>you get served a C&D and get a job with the company or can add something to your resume, something that was on every major games site

these people have no intention of finishing it, they're just trying to garner attention for themselves
>>
Retards.
Don't they know how hardcore Disney is about protecting their copyrights?
>>
>>333818196
>>333817769
FUCKING THIS

YOU DO NOT DISCUSS FAN PROJECTS UNLESS YOU HAVE TAKEN MEASURES TO PROTECT YOUR REAL IDENTITY FROM BEING DISCOVERED

IF THEY CANNOT DISCOVER YOUR REAL IDENTITY THEY CANNOT SERVE YOU OR YOUR TEAM MEMBERS PAPERS IN ORDER TO KILL YOUR PROJECT

>use completely new accounts not tied to nor referring to any online or real world identity that can be linked to you or your team members

>use only public or unsecured networks to discuss and upload media for project

>discuss the importance of and enforce strict operational security with the entire team, thoroughly vet all team members to safeguard against potential infiltration by undercover PIs hired by IP rightsholder (this is how TakeTwo managed to unmask and serve papers to the team behind the GTAV multiplayer mod)

>ENSURE OPSEC IS FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER BY ALL TEAM MEMBERS! If they find out who even one of you is, it's over.

>release project quietly, ensure files are uploaded before any announcement to ensure the maximum amount of people are able to download it before rightsholder issues takedowns
>>
>>333818306

>using their actual assets
>just change something

Anon if they made their own "almost" star wars game they'd still be shut down, but this isnt even that
>>
>>333818685
>double or half the amount of vertices
>reverse it if necessary
>asset is basically nothing like the original
Done.
>>
>>333818823

one day you'll grow up and basically be nothing like the original too
>>
>>333818823
That's not how IP law works, kid.

I want a real BF3 as much as anyone else, but you're being delusional.
>>
>>333815038
>THEY'RE GONNA SHUT THEM DOWN
>The game is being made in Russia
>/v/ actually thinks Disney's C&D means jack shit anything in Russia

you guys are fucking retarded.
>>
>>333815038
Because it's beyond idiotic outside very few development angles.

If they're building directly off the Alpha for Xbox 360 that was linked in that thread months back, it's a horrendous stepping off point. It's still visibly in Alpha with many missing assets and barely any working systems. It'd honestly be simpler to start fresh from the beginning.

If they were just using it for reference points, like what some of the tweets seem to point to, it as a game will still be served a C&D ASAP. Disney will can the project so fast that Nostalrius's lifecycle would look like an eternity in comparison.

For the definitive Battlefront experience, people with any sense already know the image in the /swg/ OP. BFX, Conversion 2.2, and UCW already provide years worth of variety and fun within a longstanding mod package that can be played online in under two minutes after install through Gameranger. Nothing will ever surpass it outside of a new, mod-friendly Battlefront created by a company that treats the IP better, and it's honestly disgusting that people be excited about people attempting to breathe life into the dead unborn with BF3, leaving a perfected Star Wars experience for dead just because they can't give up what might have been.

Just fucking play Battlefront 2 instead so something apparently lightyears ahead of EA's Battlefront doesn't only having a whopping 30 players.
>>
>>333818428
This.
>>
>>333819051

disney/lucasarts would probably go to the antartica and get the needed papers to fuck you in the ass
>>
>>333819051
>implying disney isn't present in russia
>implying russia doesn't have laws
>implying they're gonna finish it anyway
>>
File: chill out.jpg (33 KB, 413x483) Image search: [Google]
chill out.jpg
33 KB, 413x483
I spoke to them.

They're using Unreal Engine 4 and so far their progress is amazing. They will obviously face legal issues after a point depending on any wrong steps but they appear to be doing everything right.

Overall they have a fucking great team of people working on the project.

they were surprised when i showed up in their discord group to tell em good work.

In general they have done a shit ton of hard work already and while it may just be the start they have already made so much progress.

Overall they're having fun with it and in general it's making me happy.

They thanked me for leaking it and as long as they're happy I'm happy.
>>
>>333819051
Disney's legal cock is very, very, VERY long and hard. They could definitely touch them in Russia.
>>
>>333819423
>>333819395
>>333819323

Russia isn't as pussy wiped as the states, sorry
>>
>>333819587

yeah, russia has no laws, as we all know it from popular media
>>
>>333818902
Burden of proof is on the infringement claim. The assets are nothing alike, and editing them is way more simple than developing from nothing.

That is how it is, and that's how text is as well.
>>
>>333819587
>>333819624
>>333819423

Didn't some Russians release an unofficial Fallout 3 based on Fallout 2's engine recently?

I feel a lot better knowing Russians are making this. They also did that reverse engineering of Halo 3 on PC right? I haven't seen a Russian be stopped yet.
>>
just fyi this is stealing

my dad goes to the same synagogue as Disney's lawyers and I've told him to pass on this information

enjoy getting shut down :^)
>>
File: 1443588892627.gif (3 MB, 479x269) Image search: [Google]
1443588892627.gif
3 MB, 479x269
>>333819407
Thanks for leaking it faggot, hope those russians get it done with no problems
>>
they should have worked on it privately and released it when it's complete to avoid being shut down
>>
>>333819808
Even they're not sure why Disney or EA commented on the leak.

I don't have any explanation, nor do they. Let's hope this goes well.
>>
>>333819624
So Disney doesn't even have to follow legal procedure, they can just find out where the modders live and hire thugs to smash all their crap and wipe their harddrives, and probably bust the modder's kneecaps in and threaten them all with something permanent if they keep it up

Even if they tell the cops no one will fucking believe them and they are probably corrupt enough to be paid off by Disney anyways

>>333819730
MS doesn't really care about mods and fangames with Halo, for the longest fucking time the EULA of most Halo games made all content (models/sounds/textures) free to use for whatever so long as it was noncommercial and proper credit was given to both Bungie and MS

Bethesda also doesn't give enough of a fuck to go after modders of the old Fallout games despite them owning the rights to them, not to mention their whole pro-modding stance to begin with.
>>
>>333815038
because even if it gets finished, it will be played by a small handful of players at most.
>>
>>333819895

russia has no low to the level that Disney will contact the maffia there as their first attempt to issue that c&d

they also supply the ak47s
>>
>>333819730
>fallout 3 based on fallout 2's engine

u wot?
>>
>>333819902
this above all. remember that cod4 star wars mod? when it came out there was one barely populated server. i played it for a few days until there were only a couple of people left
>>
>>333820006

I think they tried to do the proper Fallout 3, Van Buren or something in FO2's engine. Took inspiration from NV as well.
>>
>>333818902
How does IP law work then, you silly fuck?

Is the game protected by copyright, trade secret, trademark, or all three? How? What are the tests for each? What are applicable exemptions and defenses?

Don't pretend you know anything about IP. Protip: you don't. Here's a hint though: This kind of shit is potentially admissible. It's a grey area, at least in the US.
>>
File: alright.png (3 KB, 302x237) Image search: [Google]
alright.png
3 KB, 302x237
>>333820558
Battlefront is currently an IP and Trademark exclusively owned by EA and Disney (because parent company)

Although the IP and Trademark for "Battlefront" are in their hands, any producs that were never released or already out now belong to EA and Disney (as far as production and marketing go).

They dont OWN Battlefront 3 but they own the "Battlefront" part, so they do have room for legal action because it's "their property" in a way.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is generally what I understand is the issue. That said, they have to avoid "Star Wars" and "Battlefront" in any naming scheme
>>
ITT: OP goes full fucking retard
>>
>>333820776
The only people that went full retard are the burgers who think Disney can reach them in Russia.
Americans are very stupid
>>
>>333820842
They can certainly try. Whether they'll succeed is another story. They most certainly can take some action, but how much is where it gets hard to say
>>
>>333820758
>they have to avoid "Star Wars" and "Battlefront" in any naming scheme

This is true, and covers in a very basic sense the trademark part. Also, using the likeness of a stormtrooper/clonetrooper/etc and calling them such will probably end up getting this project shut down. So I admit, you do intuitively understand why this thing will be shut down if it continues in its current form.

But here's the hitch. It has never been firmly decided how much you can borrow from the assets of another person's finished product before it gives rise to a claim. Because judges and lawyers know nothing about tech (nor do I), it's likened to a song: what kind of chord progressions/beats/what the fuck ever can you borrow before it becomes a problem (this is the copyright part)?

Nobody fucking knows, and nobody will stand up to a large corporation long enough to find out. Software is a legal wild west; if you can afford a good lawyer, you can get away with a lot more than you'd think.
>>
>>333821274

>it's likened to a song: what kind of chord progressions/beats/what the fuck ever can you borrow before it becomes a problem (this is the copyright part)

There's actually a test for that.
>>
>>333821402
Oh there is, and it's complete bullshit.
>>
>>333821452

It's still the law unfortunately.
>>
File: 1458533306984.jpg (235 KB, 878x592) Image search: [Google]
1458533306984.jpg
235 KB, 878x592
>>333821274
It's always hard to figure it out. For instance, EA sued a company that made a game because it was too similar to Sims. How so? Well the whole way it functioned.

Everything else was fair game, but the way it worked was the issue they claimed. I have no idea if they won, but it was a thing.

On another note, I'm still speaking with the team making this remake and they just told me ships are very much planned to explode and fall to the planet. I cant honestly say what the current status is on this, but they're shooting for accuracy here, and because one trailer showed a ship explode, and have parts fall to the planet, I feel it's safe to assume that they're very serious on the matter.

>>333821402
>There's actually a test for that.
Pic related
That's actually pretty bullshit but I guess it's needed even though it's probably a very biased test
>>
>>333821561

I'm a faggot for stating there's a test? Alright.
>>
>>333821658
that wasnt really where i was going.
i didnt have a pic solely for an unhappy expression that was vidya related.

Whoever made the test is a faggot for sure
>>
Why do people keep making remakes? Its not like anyone will ever allow them to release it. The Black Mesa Source was one in a life time thing
>>
>>333821716

Well I can look up the original case if need be, but it relates to the first part of the test for similarity in TMs.

In regards to songs - 1) they must have a visible sonogram, and then they compare the two in similarity.

The bullshit happens in regards to 'similarity' because the corporations will afford the best musical experts of course.
>>
>>333819730
No, but they did make a Fallout MMO.
>>
>>333818418
>Get it finished so that they can then C&D it?
Once it's finished they can upload that shit for everyone and a cease and desist will be too late to stop anything.
>>
>>333818418

C & D can't do much once it gets uploaded, they should keep it silent until it is finished, then mass spread.

But I agree with the UE4 as well.
>>
>>333821540
Well, it is and it isn't. The problem is that there is no bright-line rule where you can just go "this is ok and this isn't."

If I remember correctly, the test is something like "significantly influenced" or something like that, then theres some bullshit about seperating utility from artistic expression.

The problem is, with software, particularly games, how the FUCK do you separate utility from artistic expression? At what point does the code you're borrowing become part of the artist's vision? Is a particular coder's work on a small asset (not the actual product) copyright protected original work? What constitutes artistic expression in a game? There are a bajillion questions relating to gaming that have never been answered.

For instance, many games are the exact fucking game with a new shade of paint. Like the diffrence between the MOBAs out right now is slight. Slight seems to be enough.
>>
>>333822075
>But I agree with the UE4 as well.
They are using UE4
>>
>>333822079

No, it's;
>>333821814

There are also tests for the things you mentioned as well, specifically video games - I can post some cases as well if you want but it's pretty boring stuff.
>>
>>333818428

This isn't the fucking 90s pham.
>>
>>333815038
>using the BF3 leak's assets
They're using UE4 for fucks sake, are old unfinished placeholder assets from an unreleased game really needed?
>>
>>333821989
This, if they finish it, upload it and then get C&D all they can make them do is take down the upload and delete all assets, which they have no way of enforcing

Protip: getting C&D'd and having it get 'leaked' is a bad idea, because everyone will be held accountable and taken to court over it as if they'd defied the C&D regardless of who 'leaked' it, with additional, financially ruinous revenge charges tacked on, usually calculated from amount of downloads to be extra jewish.
>>
>>333822149
If you have them on hand, it'd read em. Cites are fine. Just vol/page I can look it up.

I seriously doubt there is a video game specific test that is on point enough to provide any sort of meaningful guidance regarding copyright where you can tell what is/isn't probably infringement without a court decision.
>>
File: 1452073165005.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452073165005.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
Just make it in China.
>>
>>333822398
Oh yay my old webms again

I need to remake those since i have HDMI out on my XDK
>>
>>333822459
>working in China
>living in China
God no.
>>
>>333822352

Well I'm also talking from a Europe standpoint I guess - there are more clear lines here.

Maybe in America it is more a grey area, so I can't comment as much.

Another issue is the cases are outdated, and it does need to be updated - but they at least draw some lines in the sand.

Main case I know is Nova Productions v Mazooma Games from 2007 regarding copyrights, artistic intent etc.
>>
>>333815849
>assets from a game by EA
that's wrong though.
>>
>>333822398
>>content on each menu screen has a slow ass transition animation, combined with a slow ass fade-in animation

fucking STOP, this never looks good, FUUUUUCK
>>
>>333822589
Everybody says EU intellectual property laws make a lot more sense. I have no idea what they are.

I can tell you that in America the law is very old, and video-game specific software copyright case guidance is very slim because nobody risks a jury verdict, and even fewer risk appeal.

There have been ZERO US supreme court decisions concerning video games, so it's a gamble depending on what state you're in.

It's really quite the clusterfuck, so when people go "oh this is def illegal," regarding a US based company and product, I get triggered like a 13 year old tranny.

I am under the impression that the "hook" is usually in trademark. In this case, you can dodge trademark infringement by changing the storm trooper to "space mareen" and slap a different helmet on him. You're left with copyright then, so you may be able to get away with it in the US. At the very least, the issue isn't black & white.
>>
File: 1446972923820.webm (357 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446972923820.webm
357 KB, 1280x720
>>333822980
>>
>>333823156

Yeah, it may as well be "oh this is def illegal" N.B. If you have the money :^)
>>
>>333815526
You know EA will move in and crush it not just because they know that it'll be a better game than the garbage they churned out, but because they have made it their sole purpose to consume and slowly strangle the life out of every video game franchise we love.
>>
>>333823302
Haha, yeah, pretty much the reality of the situation. Sucks.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.