[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there any non-BS reason for game consoles not having memory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
Was there any non-BS reason for game consoles not having memory dedicated to game saves out of the box?

Having to spend $20+ on a memory card so you could save under 15 games (remember some games required multiple blocks) was fucking ridiculous.

Was this just BS started (and primarily perpetuated by) Sony? That's the way it looks even though I'm a SonyPony.
>>
It's called business. You could say that Playstation popularized it, but the reason they started using memory cards is because they no longer had cartridges to store the saves on, and it would increase the system's cost to include memory onboard at the time. They're still doing it on modern consoles with HDD sizes though.

>8GB (actually 3GB) Wii U
>Vita has only a gigabyte forcing you to buy a memory card
>Arcade Xbox 360s
>12GB (actually 9GB) PS3s
>>
>>333814556
Would have driven up the cost of production and the price of the console. They were competing with the N64, a super cheap console with no moving parts.
>>
>>333815794
How is it more expensive to create a memory storage feature in your console hardware compared to having every piece of software you ship have memory storage?
>>
>>333814556
the saturn and the sega cd before it had internal save games in addition to save carts
>>
I enjoy memory cards more than HDs desu. If your console dies (which is likely knowing the lifespan of HDD equipped consoles) you lose all your saved games. You can do backups, but constantly making backups of your saved games is a horrible chore. With cartridges and memory cards that isn't so much of a problem.
>>
>>333817541
A memory card can easily die and internal cartridge batteries will also do the same, wiping saves+removing the ability to save any data until replaced, plus you can't make "safe" backups of either, just move the former to another card. Don't let nostalgia make you say stupid things.
>>
>>333816565
EEPROM memory was expensive as hell during the 5th gen, not even all N64 games used it and opted for the volatile battery memory.
It could've been possible to make the PS1 have internal save slots, then again knowing our experience with the Sega CD and Saturn:
>the size would be enough to hold a few games max
>the memory would be volatile battery memory
>>
>>333817541
>With cartridges and memory cards that isn't so much of a problem
they can die like any console though
and you have to pop them open to solder shit so they can work again
>>
>>333817691
Official EEPROM cards are much more reliable than anything with battery memory. What are you talking about? I've had HDDs, batteries and internal memories fail on me multiple times, but not one memory card in 20 years.
>>
>>333817916
True, that while cartridges aren't dependant on the console, some of them do have battery saves. Most 5th gen games do save on "safe" memory though.
>>
>>333814556

Sony always do this shit.

The PS1, PS2, PSP and PSVita.
People only look at the price tag of the console, not the accessories.
So people get hit out of nowhere with a big fat hidden cost.
It's an effective and very scummy business practice.
>>
File: not pleasedd.jpg (15 KB, 612x490) Image search: [Google]
not pleasedd.jpg
15 KB, 612x490
they should have included a memory card with the system

i got a ps1 1-2 years after it came out and got crash 2 with it
get everything set up
playing the game and want to take a break
click save...nothing happens(my bro had a n64 that i played sometimes so...)
find out you need a fucking memory card to save progress
couldnt play the game for 2 months till i got a memcard(played it some but without a memcard it was pointless)
>>
>>333820339
i should specify i got it as a xmas present which mom(santa) didnt know i would have needed a memory card either

also got FF7 too and couldnt play it either
>>
>>333814556
Even Sega CD has built in save memory.

What the fuck Sony? They can't keep getting away with this!
>>
I liked the fact that i could bring my save file to a friends house without taking the console.
>>
>>333814556
I remember the 8mb ones shipped with PS2 could only hold like 10 games at best. It does sound a lot when you get it yeah but over the course of a decade you have to keep getting new ones or wiping your old saves.
Were the GCN cards that small too?
>>
File: 1350818326445.jpg (23 KB, 589x555) Image search: [Google]
1350818326445.jpg
23 KB, 589x555
>>333814556
Memory cards were the shit, you must have been an utter dumbfuck to not know your games needed a memory card to save on to.

Yes they should have included one with the console, but memory cards were great for taking your saved games round friends' houses to play games you both owned with all the unlocked characters or whatever. I miss the ease and convenience of memory cards, I can't just take my Super Smash Bros Wii U save around my friends house now to play with all the characters, now I have to bring the whole console and game if I want to do that.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.