[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this NOT game of the fucking decade?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: HLD_Screenshot_01_rise_1080.png (137 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HLD_Screenshot_01_rise_1080.png
137 KB, 1920x1080
How is this NOT game of the fucking decade?
>>
File: 1457679659636.jpg (60 KB, 495x507) Image search: [Google]
1457679659636.jpg
60 KB, 495x507
Shill
>>
>>333799872
Fuck off.
>>
>>333799778
it's not even fotm
>>
>>333799778
It's too short. Beat it the day after I got it.
>>
>every indie game that comes out is suddenly supposed to be the best game ever
I'm sure this game is actually alright, but I refuse to deal with another Undertale shitfest.
>>
>>333799778
Literally what? Is that an EVA unit?
>>
>>333800560
This
>>
Shill thread?

>http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/
>>
>>333800613
n-no
it's a totally awesome cool OC creature that the creators thought up all on their own
>>
>>333799778
respawn animation too long
>>
How is this not a shill thread?
>>
>>333799778
>le "prepare to die" face

Gettin real tired of all the Souls bandwagon jumpers.
>>
>>333799778
It's way too short honestly. I would love more boss fights, more arenas, and just levels in general.
Not a fan of the secrets being kinda wall huggy, sometimes enemies popped out from little hidden spots which was cool and made me want to explore but there's really not enough of it.
>>
>>333799778
>fast paced action game
>locked at 30fps

Yeah, no. It's very pretty and has some good points but it's a very far cry from game of the decade.
>>
>>333800707
>fourth entry in the series
This actually looks cool. I'd try it out if there was a Linux port. I don't have Windows on any of my devices at the moment.
>>
Because you're a shitty shill shilling an ugly indie shit that didn't even deliver most of what they promised to backers.

Seriously reconsider your life.
>>
>>333800905
>locked at 30fps
Is it really?
Why the fuck would they do that? It's a Game Maker game. You literally just need to set the room speed to 60.
>>
>>333800707
>literally every thread about a video game is a shill thread

:%)
>>
+ nice artstyle and enemy designs
+ combat is simple, but fluid and responsive
+ well balanced difficulty that is challenging without being unfair
- short as fuck (beat it in 4:30 with 6-8 triangles found in each location)
- secrets don't really serve much purpose outside of being a completionist
- 'soundtrack' is mostly ambiance. game would have benefited a lot from some actual tracks
- storytelling was neat but the actual story didn't really go anywhere and it ended up dropping a lot of seemingly important plot points (i.e. The Drifter's disease)

overall it was alright
>>
>>333799958
The burden of proof is on you. If you can't prove that you're not a shill, then, I'm sorry to say that you are.

Please reconsider your post next time. Also, this game is shit.
>>
Backed it at 20 bucks and don't feel it was worth it, not even taking into account the guy reneged on all the stretch goals.

Mechanics are really unpolished. Slow, clunky and missing many key elements of a good combat system for that type of game, especially considering how fast and strong enemies are.
>>
>>333800795
>Le every thread ever made is a shill thread
(%:
>>
>>333800960

>Because you're a shitty shill shilling an ugly indie shit that didn't even deliver most of what they promised to backers.

>HE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THE GAME ON /v/ HERESY

Wow, look at this retard.

>>333801062
>The burden of proof is on you.
Prove you are not retarded.

Go on, burden of proof is on you. Not like I just beat the game and wanted to talk about it or anything. Dumb cunt.
>>
>>333801017
I've never used Game Maker and know almost nothing about it, but from what I understand it does have something to do with the engine.

It is locked at 30fps though, yes. Google it.
>>
>>333800601

FAMILIA

/Thread
>>
>>333801148
Spoken like a true shill
>>
>>333801120

>Mechanics are really unpolished. Slow, clunky and missing many key elements of a good combat system for that type of game, especially considering how fast and strong enemies are.
I don't see what else needed to change in the combat. All the tools are there.
>>
>>333801234
Hehe, you got really upset there. I guess you are a shill then. Case closed! ;3
>>
>>333801252
>le every game on /v/ is a shill game

:%)
>>
>>333801391

>>333801252
>>
>>333801240
this reddit post has a pretty good explanation of the probable reasons

lol gb2reddit right guys

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4d1h4x/about_hyper_light_drifter_30fps_lock_and_game/
>>
>>333801120
What needed to change about the combat? How was it slow and clunky? You pick a direction to dash and a direction to slash and shoot.
What else did it need?
>>
It's good but it didn't really meet my expectations. Might not even be game of the month.

I still like it a decent amount.
>>
>>333800903
This is the most unbiased post about the flaws of the game.

The secrets blow dick. Zelda secrets were about finding ways to solve a puzzle, but this game is just rub your face against walls until you clip through the geometry. That's not fun.
>>
>>333801061
-30fps cap
-Needed some hotline Miami tracks
-This was done by 9 person team, if it was 1-2men team i would be little more forgiving.
>>
Shit level design
bad story
lots of leftover content
bullshit secrets nobody would figure out without hugging walls
inconsistent dashes before you upgrade it
>>
File: Game-Maker-Logo[1].jpg (36 KB, 520x230) Image search: [Google]
Game-Maker-Logo[1].jpg
36 KB, 520x230
>>333799778
>$650,000 KS campaign
>Game Maker

Unity isn't that hard to use.
>>
>>333801708

lots of leftout* content

also, aiming the gun feels really off
>>
>>333801649
>needed tracks from a completely different game
>-This was done by 9 person team, if it was 1-2men team i would be little more forgiving.

Why would you be more forgiving?

>>333801708
Half of this just isn't true.

>Shit level design
Okay.

>bad story
You wouldn't even know what it was about unless you went and searched for it.

>bullshit secrets nobody would figure out without hugging walls
Granted.

>inconsistent dashes before you upgrade it
Back the fuck up. When you aim, you dash to exactly the point the aiming reticle is centered on. How is that inconsistent?
>>
>>333799778
Looks gorgeous as fuck with solid Zelda gameplay. I don't think it deserves any rewards.
>>
>>333800905
This pretty much sums it up. They fucked up, but people beating a 7 hour game in 19 because they were too distracted by the art to notice that the controls feel terrible at 30 fps endorse it like Stoya's rape claims.
>>
>it's another "I'm shit at the game so the game must be shit." episode.

I hate filler.
>>
>>333799778

>Combat
Lacks any sort of depth or complexity.
Upgrades are fairly meaningless.
Customization is poorly explained and also has very little effect on fights.
General enemy encounters are extremely formulaic; In fact, the only enemies that don't follow the "Wait -> Dash -> Attack" flowchart are Pepe and Rocket Launchers

>Exploration
Invisible platforms require ledgehugging to find (the robot only beeps when you're extremely close - pressing Y helps to find it from there, but you have to get to that position first which requires ledgehugging)
Progress is poorly recorded
Numerous "secret" areas are either poorly defined or not defined at all and do require wallhugging (while a lot are indicated by pixel shift or extra lighting, there's quite a few whose only indication is flag or symbol that was present on previous walls where it only indicated a dead end, while secrets between trees in the west have no indication of their existence)

>Level Design
In general it was pretty lacking. The game could have been procedurally generated and most wouldn't have noticed the difference.

>Story
Delivery is poor - they attempted to follow the "Show, don't tell" motto, but they didn't realize that replacing words with pictures means you're just telling the player with pictures, not showing. At no point from when the character leaves the house until we enter the final chamber does the plot advance in any way at all. No events take place, our actions don't further anything noticeable, and all story and backstory is told only through exposition.

>Music
It was atmospheric but hardly immersive or even noticeable. None of the music is memorable, and though it didn't detract from the experience, it didn't add to it either - in fact, outside of boss music, having no music throughout the game wouldn't have changed anything.

>Graphics
There's some serious perspective problems that pop up throughout the game, but it's mostly pronounced when travelling along stairs.
>>
>>333801906

I went north and I had to find all those boxes or whatever to activate something

one was across a gap, and I dashed across my first time and made it. Fine. Went down and activated the box. Got back to the ledge and tried to make it across, never ONCE got back to the other side even after 2 health packs and a full life bar

respawned and tried it again, could never make the jump to the other sde again
>>
>>333801234
Then perhaps talk about it, like for example this guy >>333801061, not just fucking mindlessly shill it like OP.
>>
30 FPS and controls like shit
>>
>>333799778
Someone made an Evangelion game?
>>
>>333799778
you don't actually get to fight the evas

that scene was totally pointless. it could have been removed entirely and the game would have been better for it by not subverting positive expectations.
>>
File: HLD-NUR.png (243 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HLD-NUR.png
243 KB, 1920x1080
>>333801061

>+ well balanced difficulty that is challenging without being unfair

I don't agree at all.

The game was pretty fucking easy.
>>
>>333802201

Actually, it's basically Evangelion: The Game (No Robot Fights Edition).

Yeah, sorry, I don't know either.
>>
>>333802058
>Customization is poorly explained and also has very little effect on fights.
I don't agree with this at all. Customization goes a long way to making the fights faster.
>>
>>333801516
>>333801308
Way too much delay on everything. Dash especially. Dash has no i-frames, and neither does being hit. Enemies can't be interrupted and have virtually no delay. You can clip and come to a complete stop on nothing while bullets can whiz through most of the obstacles. Gun aiming sucks, most guns useless.

It doesn't make the game that hard (The challenge area with the rocket/minigun guys was bullshit though), it just makes it boring. It's not hyper, light, or drifty. You clunk in, take 3 swipes, clunk out, repeat over and over for every boss.
>>
This game is simply too intellectual and mature for /v/.
>>
>>333801450
Fuck off.
>>
>>333799778
short, mediocre gameplay, half the content was cut, etc etc
>>
>>333802697
No.
>>
>>333802589
>You clunk in, take 3 swipes, clunk out, repeat over and over for every boss.

That's a huge oversimplification, and you know it. There is no combat system that would fit your definition if that's how you were going to define it.
>>
Kid Icarus: Uprising exists.
>>
>>333802728
>short, mediocre gameplay, half the content was cut, etc etc
Does this really matter? If you didn't follow the kickstarter, you wouldn't know this at all.
>>
>>333802058
>Lacks any sort of depth or complexity.
>he didn't cancel his gunshots into sword strikes

>Upgrades are fairly meaningless.
>Customization is poorly explained and also has very little effect on fights.
Wrong, try and do a no upgrade run or something

>Wait -> Dash -> Attack
You can probably beat the game like that if you're bad yeah

>The game could have been procedurally generated and most wouldn't have noticed the difference
No? Enemy placement felt considered in every area

It feels like you were trying to hard to shit on this game
>>
>>333802774
It isn't though. There are no combos. No advanced mechanics. Dash and swipe. occasionally shoot if you feel like it. Even the moves you can buy are useless because they either do less damage than just swiping normally or take too long to hit, recover, and dash away from them in time.
Only the frog boss even had anything that could potentially interrupt the same sequence of pattern attacks over and over.
>>
>>333800818
what does your post even mean
>>
>>333802403
but the robots are mostly background plus theyre not piloted
>>
>>333803045
>It isn't though. There are no combos. No advanced mechanics.
That's what would have made the combat "hyper, light, or drifty" for you? Combos and advanced mechanics?

How does this change the core of the game, it's still the same combat system you're describing.
>>
>>333803045
>No advanced mechanics.
>Even the moves you can buy are useless
How does it feel to be objectively wrong?
>>
>>333799778
it's kind of boring. nice art and music though.
>>
>>333799778
>basically no story
>generic zelda clone gameplay
>no real puzzles just secret passageways hunting
>no clever enemy placement just boring waves of enemies
>unmemorable soundtrack

It's meh even by indie games standard.
>>
>>333802418

Customization is the different bonuses the extra outfits, swords, and companions give you. With the exception of the Purple gear, very few have any noticeable effect on your character - and the Purple's more notable for it's Stamina upgrade which allows for more chain-dashes, you should rarely if ever run out of Stamina in a fight. The Blue Gear decreases time between combos very, very minimally (it's not even worth using in Speedruns), and pretty much nothing else helps in fights.

Upgrades are probably what you meant, but yeah, I'd disagree that they are truly that helpful. Dash Shield, Dash Strike, and Sword Deflection are all relatively useless. Dash Shield is still a little glitchy, and it was never terribly useful in the demos where it wasn't glitchy. Dash Strike has way too much endlag, and a combo is almost always more useful. Sword Deflection is practically always useless - there's only one enemy in the game that truly creates a bullethell, but it's MUCH easier to defeat him by charging him instead of using Sword Deflection. The most helpful upgrades for battle are Charge Attack and Slash Dash - Charge Attack is rendered obsolete the second you get the shotgun (and it requires too much time to charge to truly be useful even before the shotgun). Slash Dash IS useful in mob fights, primarily because you can use it to cancel the endlag of a combo.

So yeah, out of all the upgrades you can get, Slash Dash is really the only useful one for battle, and it's because of a byproduct of it's ability.

Obviously Ammo, Health Upgrades, and Chain Dash are useful, but that's still a far cry from having a truly useful upgrade system.
>>
It already looks like a LITERALLY WHO game. Does it at least have great music to offset the shit like Undertale did?
>>
>>333799778
blehhhhh. flavor of the day
>>
>>333799778
>years of years in dev
>stardew valley have more content than this despite both of them are being done solo
I don't know anon. Maybe giving money for free for jewstarter is never a good idea.
>>
>>333802984
>No?

Sums up your post pretty well.
>>
>>333803847
>this is a counterargument
Amazing
>>
>game maker

why did the dev waste his time making a game before learning to use a proper engine?
>>
>>333801572
game of the month is going to be banner saga 2

I hope anyway
>>
>>333803304
>in order to live up to the game's title the combat has to bee simple and shallow

wew shills
>>
>>333803802
>This completely different game has more content despite being a drastically different playstyle
I don't buy this argument at all. I can argue Strafe has more content than either game combined simply because it's in 3D.

But I know that's not true.
>>
>>333804142
>in order to have fast paced combat, you must have the same combat system but with combos

This is what I don't get. The game itself wouldn't change. Adding 'combos' to the game still makes the combat exactly the same.

It feels more like you really just don't like this kind of game, but don't know exactly how to explain it.
>>
which is the better indie game?

gungeon or HLD?
>>
>>333804060
Your post wasn't a counter argument by any definition of the words.
>>
>>333799778
fps lock now fuck off
>>
>>333803635
>Sword Deflection is practically always useless

Except against West boss, fat birds, and rocket dudes

>Charge Attack is rendered obsolete the second you get the shotgun

Except for the part where it gives you ammo instead of using it, you almost need it for the arenas
>>
>>333802337
Jesus christ. Why is it that these "indie" fags don't know how to draw?
>>
>>333804227
>adding something to the combat would change nothing about the combat

That's what you're saying in your post.

>It feels more like you really just don't like this kind of game,

I'm not that guy and I haven't even played the game. You just said something totally retarded and I didn't like it.
>>
>>333804267
I have to say gungeon. I like HLD but I think Gungeon has better content.
>>
Last month sucked in terms of games and it was BTFO by Pokken. How is the music though?
>>
>>333804308
And I bet you think you're so smart for saying shit like "Lacks any sort of depth or complexity" without explaining further. Your post wasn't an argument by any definition of the words.
>>
>>333802984

>He didn't cancel his gunshots into sword strikes
That's not complexity or depth. There's no reason NOT to do exactly that. The whole combat system is extremely repetitive and requires virtually no thought, except for 3 enemies.

>West Boss
You want to get him to crush his crystals, yes, but there's also no reason NOT to do so, which makes it fake depth at best.
>East Boss
You want to explode the bugs under him, which at least presents a little risk since it hurts a lot if you get caught in the explosion and he can more easily hit you, but the reward's so big it's never not worth it.
>Rocket Launchers
These are good enemies. You can choose to try and kill them right away and not have to deal with rockets (low risk/low reward) or you can choose to keep him around and try to steer the rockets towards other enemies while not getting hit by them or other enemies (high risk/high reward). This is the ONLY enemy encounter that has any real depth to it.

>Try doing a no upgrade run or something
I did. See >>333802337
Upgrades aside from Chain Dash are pretty bland.

>You can probably beat the game like that if you're bad yeah
No, this is the formula for every single enemy. Wait until they telegraph their really obvious attack, dash out of the way, then attack them. Occasionally you can just skip straight to the attack phase if it's a low health enemy, and occasionally you will be required to dash twice instead of once, but the same formula applies to every single enemy except for the aforementioned three.

>No? Enemy placement felt considered in every area
Ok, I'm not going to bother arguing about something even the developers admitted could have used more work.

>It feels like you were trying to hard to shit on this game
I've beaten it twice normally and once in NG+. I actually like the game and enjoyed it - as simplistic as combat is, it's very fluid. But overall, the game isn't great - it's above average at best.
>>
>>333802957
>ignorance is bliss

good point. doesn't change anything once you know about it though
>>
>>333804267
do you like guns?
>>
>>333804394
The game already 'adds' more moves that you can buy in the shop. The combat doesn't change. It's still the same as he described.

>You clunk in, take 3 swipes, clunk out, repeat over and over for every boss.
Even if the game added stingers, high-times, aerial raves, killer bees. It would still be that combat he just described.

It seems to me like you need to stop butting into conversations you aren't following, because you're bad at following them.
>>
why is it always the shitty indie pixel games that get shilled here?
Did everyone see how /v/ made Minecraft popular and now thinks we're going get them just as rich as Notch?
>>
>>333804589
>adding new things to combat doesn't change combat

You are actually this retarded.
>>
>>333803635
How is being able to deflect/absorb projectiles useless? It was almost too powerful against the southern bosses
>>
>>333804394
>>adding something to the combat would change nothing about the combat
That's not what he said at all, though. He said adding combos or advanced techniques wouldn't really change the combat in a game like this.

If this were DMC, you may have a point. But it's a top-down hack-and-slash game. So I guess your point is worthless and you're expecting too much out of a top-down hack-and-slash game.
>>
>>333804267
Haven't played drifter but Gungeon is fun as fuck
>>
Is Asuka in this?
>>
>>333804665
>>Adding the same shit the game already adds to the combat would somehow change the combat

You are this retarded. Maybe you missed that the game already adds these things and the combat doesn't really change? It's still dash in, slash, dash out.

In short: You lack reading comprehension. Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>333804625
Part if it can easily be chalked up to the anonymity of 4chan and how threads fall off front page after a few hours and die. It's easy to keep making the same thread over and over again, bumping it yourself repeatedly, to drum up interest.

It's also because most of the children on /v/ are stuck with mom's Dell so this is the only kind of game they can run.
>>
>>333799778
Yet another generic indie shit
>>
>>333804815
>adding things to the combat doesn't change anything because I still only use two moves

wew lad shoulda just said that from the start
>>
>>333804665
>>333804394
>adding something to the combat would change nothing about the combat

Are you retarded? How would 'adding something to the combat' change the combat for people who hate it?

What do you want to add that would drastically change the combat? A mini-mode where you just play SoTN instead?

I think you may be retarded.
>>
You know I kinda thought Hyper Light Drifter was going to be one of those roguelike-likes but instead they spent time developing all these assets for a game that you would only want to play once.
>>
>>333804896
>herp derp I think the combat would be drastically different and innovative if only this one thing were put in!

I guess you're just pretending to be retarded at this point.
>>
>>333804692

Because the Southern Bosses can be bum-rushed and obliterated faster without using the deflection/absorption attacks.

Actually, if absorption provided you a bonus, say your next sword swing was powered up, that'd be great and there'd be a reason to use it. If deflection did double the damage on return, or even one extra damage, it'd be a valid alternative. Instead, there's pretty much no enemy in the game that goes down faster because of deflection than just rushing in and cutting them up.
>>
File: Eva-02.png (189 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
Eva-02.png
189 KB, 380x285
>>333799778
Huh, I guess they do look similar.
>>
>>333804824
>>333804625
>STOP TALKING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES ON 4CHAN

This is how you sound. You could have chose not to respond to the thread, but you fucking did it anyway.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. Stop telling people that they're shills for talking about video games on the video game board, dumb cunts.
>>
>>333805020
Deflection isn't for killing things faster and doesn't have to be. It's for being safer.
>>
File: 1444712820864.jpg (16 KB, 550x421) Image search: [Google]
1444712820864.jpg
16 KB, 550x421
>>333805104
>How is this NOT game of the fucking decade? [HLD_Screenshot_01_rise_1080.png]
>wow we're just talking about the game stop calling us shills
>>
>>333799778
>How is this NOT game of the fucking decade?
Because I have played games other than HLD.
>>
I'd play an actual Evangelion(non-fighting) game.
>>
>>333805228
And there you go, posting again. Not even saying anything, just posting memes because you're from some shithole like /b/ or funnyjunk and that is the only language you speak.
>>
>>333805287
Have you tried Xenogears?
>>
>>333805287
There's like two.
>>
>>333804527
>That's not complexity or depth
Try and explain what depth is
>There's no reason NOT to do exactly that
Unless you haven't learned the timing. That's like saying dodge offset doesn't add depth to Bayonetta's combat, since there's no reason not to use it if you need to dodge in the middle of a combo

>This is the ONLY enemy encounter that has any real depth to it.
You're implying that this is the only encounter where you have to make meaningful decisions? There are obviously decisions to make in each encounter, with how you respond to enemy attacks, deciding between inputs, prioritising enemies etc

>I did
Then you should be able to see that upgrades do help you. Why did you spend so much time on this game then?

>Wait until they telegraph their really obvious attack, dash out of the way, then attack them.
I like how you act as though you always fight one on one
>>
File: 1404527749334.png (73 KB, 290x200) Image search: [Google]
1404527749334.png
73 KB, 290x200
This game has the weirdest final boss theme I can remember. Just sounds odd for a final fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5ivvc8oqE
>>
>>333805103
I don't get why people keeps posting that, it's not like the devs pretend the giants are anything but references.
>>
>>333805136

>Safer

Honestly, Chain-Dashing around projectiles is faster AND safer, and using Slash Dash to get out of the endlag of your combo is safer as well.

If drifter could keep his momentum up through the first slash at least, instead of slowing down, Deflection would be a decent approaching move. Unfortunately, you pretty much stop when you use it, and so Chain-Dashing around it is both safer since you get rid of any chance you're going to get hit by it, and faster since now you can move right up on the enemy.

There's a reason most of the speed runs for this game don't bother with deflection or absorption.
>>
>>333805332
>meme
stop posting any time
>>
>>333805018
>adding things to combat doesn't change combat

oh yeah shit I forgot about that
>>
>>333804665
The game adds new things to the combat all the time.

So what are you bitching about, except you don't like this kind of combat and that makes it 'clunky' to you?
>>
>>333799778

Because the game's combat, the meat of the game, is pretty shitty.

The first Zelda game has more interesting combat.
>>
>>333805558
>herp derp I think combat would be totally different and I would love it if only this one thing were put in!

Right, you have no argument. Fuck off.
Explain what else could be done with the combat or you're just spouting dumb shit.
>>
Do you think people would've talked about this game if they didn't rip off Eva designs?
>>
>>333805020
>the Southern Bosses can be bum-rushed and obliterated faster without using the deflection/absorption attacks.
You took out all their life before they had a chance to use a projectile attack once? By just dashing and using the 3 hit combo?
>>
>>333805104
>STOP TALKING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES ON 4CHAN

that's not what either of those posts said or even implied
>>
>>333805504
>There's a reason most of the speed runs for this game don't bother with deflection or absorption.

Because they cost 3 credits you dingus
>>
>>333805637
>the game where you literally just slash dudes as fast as you tap the button has more interesting combat.

How many levels of contrarian irony were you on when you wrote this post?
>>
>>333805705
more people would have played it if the developer didn't make it in mspaint.
>>
>>333805797
and also because they don't really do anything to help you kill stuff faster
>>
>>333805735
Yes it is

>I don't like GAME
>I can't explain why I don't like it because I didn't play GAME
>Thread is about GAME
>Instead of arguing against GAME I'll call him SHILL instead

Repeat for every person who doesn't play the game but wants to go 'hurp durp stop talking about video games shill have another lol thread'
>>
>>333805504
>Honestly, Chain-Dashing around projectiles is faster AND safer,
Unless you don't have space or don't want to move from your current position
>>
Holy shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHPiQC4rkdo
>>
File: unit01.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
unit01.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
It's just a reference you guys :^)
>>
>>333805717
He used the OP as fuck Shotgun, which he already mentioned.

Probably negated the cooldown/reload on it by comboing and gun swapping twice
>>
I loved the game, but it was too short. I just wanted to play more, maybe a few more areas or bosses or something.
As it is now, great game, but it could be an excellent game.
>>
>>333805864
Even if they, did the saved time on the scant few bosses you actually fight would still not be worth collecting 12 more gear bits.

Like, they MIGHT be worth getting if they insta killed bosses, that's how strong they would have to be to actually save time.
>>
>>333805864
Yeah but they're fun to use. The reflection at least, the absorption is nearly always useless
>>
It's a fun game however it's not better than last year's GOTY, Crypt of the Necrodancer.
>>
>>333805902

Quite true...

Except for the fact that there's no situation in the game like that. There's always space against enemies with bullets, and there's never an advantage to staying in one spot.

>>333805940

>He used the OP as fuck Shotgun, which he already mentioned.

Pretty much. You actually don't even need to negate the cooldown on it either though - after enough damage, Mr. Bullet Wizard moves to his next attack regardless of whether he's finished his or not.
>>
>>333805940
That still won't have enough DPS, and he was acting like he beat the entire game by just spamming dodge and the 3 hit combo over and over
>>
>>333806141
You are fucking correct, and I am sorry for ever doubting that.

Holy shit that came out a year ago? I thought it was like three years old.
>>
File: 1456008179077.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1456008179077.gif
2 MB, 400x300
Have been quite interested in the game. But heard they built the engine on 30fps so a lot of the mechanics and general gameplay feel gross and sluggish.
>>
>>333806151
So, as usual, people shitting on the game never played it or did it shittily.

/v/eddit in a nutshell, basically.
>>
The "secrets" all around felts more like wall hugging adventures than anything else. Which felt like a poor design decision, considering there are SO MANY areas that
A: Require you to wall hug to find a monolith/chip/whatever.
Then B: Have numerous areas that are either pointless hidden trails that lead to cliffs without the normal hesitation before the jump, or simply don't have the invisible walls properly placed in the zone. Like the east teleport zone, the door to the upper left of the church place can be entered from behind the building. Which like would be cool if there wasnt a door on the other side implying that's the only entrance.

I really feel like that's the game's biggest flaw. It seem a lot of the time you're supposed to assume based of slight cues where to jump into nothingness. A large part of the time it just leads to falling.

There's also a significant amount of under used areas that would of been great for hidden areas but they went unused. Which I'm sure was intentional, but I wasn't a fan.

Combat is okay, I don't think it's insanely tight or responsive, and the cancel shots feels more like a bug than an intention.

>That bug where corpses of the little plant guys just floats in some random direction.
>>
>>333806292
You are correct.

The guy who made the game put it in gamemaker, and it has a hard-limit to how far certain sprites can move in a single frame. So instead of dealing with the algebra to make it native-60, he just used default 30 instead.
>>
>>333806151

I literally said bum-rushed, not combo'd, and yes it will have more than enough DPS to take out the Southern Bosses.

Take a look at whatever speed run you want
http://www.speedrun.com/hld
They all take out the bullet bosses by charging in and using shotgun, and one uses the charge slash. It's way faster AND safer than using deflection.
>>
File: 1459739505484.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1459739505484.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>333806292
>mechanics and general gameplay feel gross and sluggish.
seems alright to me
>>
>>333806146
>There's always space against enemies with bullets, and there's never an advantage to staying in one spot.
You could be surrounded by enemies, so wouldn't want to dodge into them, or you could be in a position where you have distance/you're about to take out a bunch of enemies with one charge attack
>>
>>333806292
Yup. It just feels very unpolished to play. Like they got up to 50% dev completion and just thought "sod it this is too much work let's get this shit out the door".
>>
>>333806383
This is how I feel about it, too.

The secrets are not well-done. The map design is cluttered to where finding secrets is not straight-forward, and the only way to really 'find them' is either being autistic enough to rub your nose against all geometry or reading a guide on the internet.
>>
I hear its fine. Its just fine. Its fine, shit. Quit fucking acting like every new Johnny on the block is the best thing ever.
>>
>>333806292
>framerate police
>>
File: WhiteRectangles.jpg (2 MB, 3848x3256) Image search: [Google]
WhiteRectangles.jpg
2 MB, 3848x3256
>>333806383
>The "secrets" all around felts more like wall hugging adventures than anything else.

Open your eyes dude, there's consistent hints on the floor that you can walk through a wall
>>
>>333805894
Neither of those posts say any of what you just said.
>>
>>333806438
No don't post facts, we don't like that around here. Post more baseless bullshit instead!
>>
>>333806589
I feel like you didn't read my post.
>>
>>333806604
What? But he might not think its sluggish you rube. Ohhhhh
>>
>>333806594
>HERP DERP SHILL FUCK OFF SHILL
>NO I WON'T TALK ABOUT THE VIDEO GAME BUT I WILL BUMP THE THREAD

That's every shill post.
>>
>>333806438
Is the framerate locked or was that recorded on a craptop?
>>
>>333806438
BUT CHARGE ATTACK IS USELESS!!! STOP POSTING
>>
>>333799778
>28fps
>>
>>333806497
So how is Undertale? Is it the best thing ever?
>>
>>333806678
Neither of those posts say any of the things you've been posting, I donno why you think if you keep saying more stuff that isn't said in those posts they'll magically edit themselves or something
>>
>>333806452

The situations you're listing are becoming narrower and narrower in scope.

The closest you ever get to that situation is the arena in the East with a bunch of Frog Ninjas and Lantern Frogs. However, it's pretty much always better to chain dash around the frog ninjas and kill them, then chain dash around the lantern frogs, partly because you can't stay in one place thanks to the exploding plants, and partly because it's just way faster and safer to take out the frogs like that since you can just avoid ALL the bullets by moving away.
>>
>>333806727
locked at 30
>>
>>333806826
>Neither of those posts say any of the things you've been posting
They basically do, because they're braindead parrots who can't argue or make discussion, but will gladly repeat tired memes and accusations.
>>
>>333805419
Really? It kind of made me feel anxious for some reason.

My favorite boss theme is the West boss, though.
>>
>>333806752
Dun like it
>>
>>333806743

Charge attack's not useless, but the shotgun is strictly better.

For every shot you use, an endlag cancelling combo will fill up one shot. You end up being able to shotgun them for the whole fight without grinding for ammo, and they die much sooner.
>>
>>333799778
Is this the new Undertale?
>>
>>333806904
>They basically do

No, they don't.
>>
>>333806743
But it's fun.
>>
>>333806827
Why do you think that you remember every single encounter in the game?

>The situations you're listing are becoming narrower and narrower in scope
Could happen in any situation where you get a lot of enemies thrown at you, and I wasn't trying to list every situation where positioning is useful
>>
>>333806589

Is there an equivalent of this for invisible platforms?

Because as is, you have to hug the ledges to get the robot to beep and notify that anything exists, since his sensors have really low range (at least you press y, but still)
>>
>>333807038
wouldn't the best method actually be to alternate shotgun and charge slash?
I'm pretty sure the charge is better damage than a 3 hit considering animation times.
>>
>>333806418
>http://www.speedrun.com/run/7z0l8rez
I skipped to 28:19 and he got hit by a projectile from one of the southern bosses, what a shitter. If only he could've deflected that
>>
>>333807251
I feel like the little robo buddy wasn't used enough.
>>
>>333807179

I don't remember every single encounter in the game, as every thing that wasn't an arena fight or boss was really unchallenging and didn't require any thought, so I didn't think you were referring to basic mob fights.

I remember most of the arena fights, and the frog one that I mentioned was the only one I could see that being applicable, but even that one has a better approach than to deflect anything.
>>
>>333806743
Charge attack was responsible for killing most of the bosses on my part. I never touched the shotgun because it felt under powered to me. The sniper rifle and the default gun had the best use to me in the long run.

Or I'm just retarded and I made the game at least 10x harder than it should have been.
>>
>>333807251
Sadly no, invisible platforms in most areas are bullshit.

In South underground, look for white lights in the floor.
Although, those mark all kinds of stuff, like off screen ledges and just normal paths

In other locations you're SoL But there's really only two egregious example that I can think of, and that's the invisible path to the 8th triangle in North, and the invisible path to a key in the alt drifter screen in West.
>>
>>333807528

>Or I'm just retarded and I made the game at least 10x harder than it should have been.

Not retarded, don't know about Charge attack, but Railgun + Shotgun are the best guns in the game.
>>
>>333807621
I prefer the 2nd shotgun due to it's higher rate of fire, but that's just me.
It probably is actually worse due to less damage per shell and less max ammo.
>>
>>333807621
Charge attack after a 3 slash combo does around 7 damage at a time. Between dashing away from boss comboes, I'd fly in with a dash-impale and do another 7 damage slash/charge combo. It worked very well.
>>
>>333807507
>every thing that wasn't an arena fight or boss was really unchallenging and didn't require any thought
You're one of the only people who think that
>>
>>333807860
No he isn't Anon
>>
>>333807902
This is considered to be a hard game by most people, and you really can't just mindlessly slash your way through every mob like this guy is saying
>>
File: Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png (18 KB, 411x293) Image search: [Google]
Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png
18 KB, 411x293
>>333807860

>thinking this game is hard
>>
>>333807860
>Section behind South 8 triangle door only takes me 1 attempt, stupid enemies fall for the disappearing floor trick every time.

>Section behind North 8 triangle door takes me like 30 mins of attempts because of too many fucking enemies/projectiles at once.

Goddamn fat birds
>>
>>333799778
cuck
>>
File: 1456012945679.jpg (14 KB, 273x239) Image search: [Google]
1456012945679.jpg
14 KB, 273x239
>>333806438
using M+KB or controller?
>>
>>333807860

anon, a souls game this is not

I mean, it's not the easiest game ever (that's Starfy), but I wouldn't even call the regular bosses challenging
>>
Because Bunnyhop said it wasnt great so i dont think its great and i wouldnt play anything that would make me disappoint Georgie. I mean its a top-down Zelda clone locked at 30FPS with about as much depth in storytelling as a kids picture book.
>>
>>333808026

>considered to be a hard game by most people

You mean that one reviewer who went north first despite the dog telling him to go east and then had no idea what credits were or even how to go back to town despite the game literally telling him how to warp anywhere? Yeah no, this game is pretty fucking easy.
>>
>>333808109
"Reviewers" dropped the game because they could finish it, check the steam reviews and see why so many people refunded it

>>333808186
>implying that souls isn't the easiest game ever in the history of all time of mankind, EVER
Lmaoing@ur life rn
>>
>>333808026
I agree to a point but for the most part you can dash and slash your way mindlessly through most of the combat
>>
>>333808185
You see an aim cursor?

Actually, even if there was one, that was made with the game version where the cursor was fucking invisible in North, but it's a more pronounced sprite now.
But yeah, it's controller
>>
>>333808361
http://store.steampowered.com/app/257850/
Check the steam reviews and count how many people describe the game as challenging
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 1024x753) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 1024x753
>>333799778
That's an Eva.
>>
>>333808369

>"Reviewers" dropped the game because they could finish it

You mean the retard who fought Harvey Birdman first and didn't realize he was retarded?

Yeah... about that... he added more to his review and admitted he was retarded (and that the game is shit at conveying information)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/07/hyper-light-drifter-impressions-2/#more-358493

>"Last week I played Hyper Light Drifter [official site] and wrote my thoughts – thoughts stymied by reaching a boss I couldn’t even get close to killing, and believing my progress was blocked. It seems I was wrong. Sorry about that. Due to a combination of incorrect assumptions I’d made while playing, and some poor communication from the game, I had failed to notice I could have gone off in other directions that weren’t flagged as now open, and gathered more abilities, before making another attempt on that boss, and indeed the others. So I’ve gone back to the game to reappraise based on this."

Sorry man, but the game's pretty easy.
>>
File: 1438452118619.png (93 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
1438452118619.png
93 KB, 500x422
>>333805936
>le obligatory walk to the side while something big and ominous is shown in the background

Every fucking time
>>
>>333808590
Read
>>333808578
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 667x1000
>>333805936
The player character looks awfully familiar
>>
>>333800601
undertale? you mean homestuck 2.0?
>>
>>333799778
About how long is this game? Seen some good comments but not sure I can fit it into my schedule.
>>
>>333799778
Is this the game that BunnyHop reviewed the other day?
>>
>>333808653
>>333808578

>using steam reviews to validate anything

Those are the same guys who listed Duke Nukem Forever as "amazing" and Sakura Spirit as "challenging gameplay".

Most major reviewers cite difficulties in the game's lack of direction - they pretty much all call the combat fluid but not difficult or engaging outside of bosses.
>>
>>333808874
Only mandatory content: ~7 hours
100%: ~16 hours
>>
>>333808924
That was a pretty shit review, his main point was the framerate
>>
Why is it locked at 30fps? The gorgeous art is ruined by screen movement turning into a slideshow.
>>
File: 1456011110117.gif (994 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
1456011110117.gif
994 KB, 500x320
>>333808508
I've heard controllers mask a lot of input delays that can be found in PC games (due to low FPS or latency). I wonder if the game would feel sluggish on M+KB as that is what I had originally heard.
>>
>>333808985
I'm saying that you can see from steam reviews that most people found it hard. Just look up any discussion of the game outside of /v/
>>
I like how in shill threads shills only respond to other shills with hyperbolic strawmanning. Not a single point against why the game was bad was refuted.
>>
What's the closest game you could compare this to?
Risk of Rain?
Binding of Isaac?
Hotline Miami?
>>
>>333809090

Because the developers locked it at 30 when they started and claimed it was "too much work" to bring it up to 60 because they had too many things reliant on frame rate.

Basically, they followed EXTREMELY bad development practices and then were too lazy to fix their mistake.
>>
>>333809145
Steam reviews mean jack shit. Steam reviews praise CoD as the greatest thing to bless mankind and that we should be humbled by its presence. Does that mean CoD is GOTC?
>>
>>333801649
And it's two years late despite being grossly overfunded.
>>
>>333809219
That's a shame, it seems like an interesting game but I feel like I'll get a headache when I play it. I guess I'll see if they fix the framerate someday.
>>
>>333809204
Spelunky.
>>
>>333809204
I'd compare it to a 2D Zelda game
>>
>>333809252
>Steam reviews praise CoD as the greatest thing to bless mankind
They actually don't, it's been popular to hate COD for years. Read my posts, I'm using steam as a way to gauge popular opinion
>>
>>333809145

Most other forums (GFaqs, Neogaf, Reddit, Infinity-Chan) all say it's not difficult, just that it sucks at explaining shit.

steam reviews usually band wagon off the first popular review even if it's a joke, which is why Sakura Spirit was a "challenging game" despite it being a visual novel you literally can't lose
>>
>>333809040
I know. is it really that bad? Seems like its a solid title otherwise
>>
>>333809323

>I guess I'll see if they fix the framerate someday

They won't.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter/posts/1534048

>"Performance"

>"We absolutely value performance on as many systems as possible. We have done everything we could to test on a multitude of systems, but of course there are configurations and outliers that we could not account for."

>"There's a contentious debate about frame rate these days. I think it comes down to personal opinion and preference on many different games. As a gamer, I very much enjoy games at 60, of course, and feel that some games NEED it to be at their best - modern shooters as the prime example."

>"I've never had much issue with games at 30, and in fact many of my favorites are locked at that rate: Bloodbourne, Nuclear Throne, Souls games, many Zelda games, Mario 64, Undertale, etc."

>"Hyper Light plays as intended at 30fps locked, and we feel confident, great about the end result. We realize some may not agree, and some refuse to play games at 30 these days."

>"We have investigated the possibility of a 60fps option. This is a HUGE endeavor, and would take months (three at minimum) of labour to retool all the systems that are dependent on frame timing, to make major optimizations to the game so it runs on all the same machines it does now. This is no small task for us."

Basically "yeah, we should've done it, but we messed up, our bad, please buy our game".
>>
30 fps
>>
>>333809408
I just checked the subreddit and there are plenty of posts/threads claiming it's hard
>>
>>333809530

See >>333802058

It's not bad, I'd even say it's fun - but it's basically a bad version of LttP. If that sounds fun, go for it.
>>
>>333809530
I thought it was pretty good, not worth buying though. It has good art and combat, I hated the exploration because of the way they hid everything behind the foreground. Most of the game was backtracking and trying to find stuff for me
>>
>>333809537
>We absolutely value performance on as many systems as possible
It's Game Maker, I couldn't imagine a computer that's modern enough to launch the game but too weak to play it at over 30fps.

I've got hundreds of games on my backlog as it is, I guess i'll just forget about this one.
>>
>>333809617
>it's basically a bad version of LttP

Considering that aLttP is one of the greatest Action Adventures ever made, I'll actually consider that comment to be praise.
>>
Should I buy this or Enter the Grungeon?
>>
>>333809617
>>333809694
>lttp had good combat
LMAO
>>
>>333809694
It's not praise, but it's not condemnation.

The best way to describe the game, and the most common, is that it's a watered down LttP.

If you've played the other clones like Alundra and want more, HLD's got you covered. Otherwise, probably skip it - it wouldn't HURT to play it, like Sonic 06, but there's lots of other games you'd probably enjoy more.
>>
>>333809705
Do you like rougelikes? If yes, get Gungeon
>>
>>333809705
They're both very run of the mill games honestly, I have no fucking idea why they're both so popular

Ultimately it comes down to if you want a roguelike or a zelda clone
>>
>30 fps
>shit soundtrack (droning ambient fags get lost)
>too easy (git gud)
>way too short as others have said
>>
>>333809774

>lttp had good combat

none of the posts you quoted said that
>>
>>333799778
dunno m8, probably because it came out in 1995, which was 11 years ago
though it looks like you got a really shitty encode, I can barely tell that's shinji
>>
literal fez
>>
>>333810051
>backtracking
L.M.A.O (Laughing My Arse Off)
>>
>>333810129

>though it looks like you got a really shitty encode, I can barely tell that's shinji

This brought a smile to my face. Thank you anon.
>>
>muh eva
The is far more Nausicaa influence if anything.
>>
>>333810174

point out where that's said then
>>
>>333810285
>lttp is my favourite action game and its combat will.never be surpassed, ever
Read the reply chain or something
>>
File: OMCs8vd.png (395 KB, 1491x1209) Image search: [Google]
OMCs8vd.png
395 KB, 1491x1209
>>333810172
Fez was a fine game, the only real problem with it is that it was made by Phil Fish. These guys don't seem nearly as bad as Fish.
>>
>>333810387

I literally don't see combat and LttP in the same sentence aside from our posts in this entire thread.
>>
>>333810529
>literally cannot read its own posts
>doesn't know how to control f
Holy shit, are you retarded? What if I just scraped your post onto an axe blade and drove into your face, you fucking faggot cunt? Would you be able to see it then? Kill yourself, worthless shithead
>>
>>333810529
This guy >>333810707 is right, kill yourself before you can breed, you useless piece of shit, I mean it
>>
>>333810394

>Fez was a fine game

No it wasn't.

It was mediocre, and it had nothing to do with Phil Fish, aside from his decisions in making it.

Half the game is spent backtracking.

The meat of the game is puzzles, and of that there's only two types:
>Trial and Error
There's no lateral thinking involved at all. You try something, if it fails, you try something else. No amount of thinking will lead you from point A to point B - you just have to try method A and if it works great, if not try method B, and so on. Games that do this properly would be the Klonoa games (GBA), The Lost Vikings, or the Warioland series.
>Obscure / Not Puzzles
Braille and QR Codes do NOT constitute puzzles in a game. It's literally just getting the player to translate something into a different language.

I'll hand it to him that the music and world building are both better than HLD's though.
>>
>>333810978
>Braille and QR Codes do NOT constitute puzzles in a game
What does constitute a puzzle? Pushing blocks?
>>
>>333810707
>>333810803

jesus, samefagging your own argument because you're too much of a mouthbreather to admit you're wrong?

i didn't know someone could be this autistic
>>
>>333811108
I'd argue anything that makes you put the game down to go google shit is not a puzzle, as you leave the confines of the game to go elsewhere. In-game language with in-game decoders are one thing, real-life language/qr codes is an entirely different matter. That said, if it's optional postgame content, I have no issues with braille being in the game. Muh pokemons and shiet.
>>
>>333801062
You're the one who made a claim. The creator of the claim holds the burden of proof senpai.
Also:
>indie game thread
>shill
every time
>>
>>333801062
>it's up to you to prove you're not a shill for wanting to talk about a video game
I hate this place
>>
>>333811127
>Still can't read the thread
Whelp, can't say it no plainer than this - kill yourself. End your life. Told you once, told you twice, told you THREE DAMN TIMES. KILL. YOUR. SELF. Now, I told you once, told you four times, I'll tell you five more times buddy! Kill yourself! And I can't tell you no plainer than that
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.