[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steamcontroller left touchpad vs thumbstick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: steamcontroller.jpg (119 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
steamcontroller.jpg
119 KB, 800x450
I feel like I'm missing something with the left touchpad. It's so obviously supposed to be a dpad according to valve, but I've tried tweaking a couple things and I just can't get it to work anything like a real dpad.

I end up using the stick for movement, even in platformers where the dpad would be more ideal.
>>
Got mine a few days ago, I wasn't expecting much but it actually surprised me by being pretty decent.

My biggest complaint is that it's really loud, I'm not sure if there is a setting that I missed for it but the touchpads vibrate loudly from the haptic feedback and the d-pad clicks quite loud too.
>>
>>333791507
the haptic feedback volume can be adjusted or turned off. make sure you launched your game from big picture mod then hit the steam button and go into controller configuration
>>
File: Steam Controller.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Steam Controller.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>333791137

>I end up using the stick for movement

So do I. I just usually set the left touchpad as a "touch" dpad and call it a day. Apparently there are people who swear that tweaking it will make it even better than a normal dpad, but so far it seems to be a bullshit claim.

Great fucking controller though. I use mine to play games like Deus Ex and Quake 2 and it works like magic.
>>
>>333791507
You can disable the haptic feedback for each game. You cannot disable the clicks AFAIK.
Steam button -> controller configuration - pick your button(s), set haptics intensity to off.
>>
>>333791913
>You cannot disable the clicks AFAIK
You can just use the touchpad as a touch d-pad. No need to click.
>>
>>333791762
How in the fuck can you play Deus Ex with that thing? Does it react to analog movement or is it basically like using WASD?
>>
>>333791137
Why wouldn't they just make an alternate version of this that just has dual analog sticks and a d-pad?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (271 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
271 KB, 1920x1080
>>333792593
Not him, but any game that doesn't officially support gamepads, you can map the buttons to whatever keys you want.
>>
>>333792764
That would be a normal gamepad.
>>
>>333792593

Are you seriously using your Steam controller as Xinput only? What the fuck. Why did you buy one?
>>
>>333793197
I don't even have one, I'm just wondering if it adds analog functionality to games or if it just uses the analog stick as a replacement for WASD. What's the difference between the Steam controller and a regular 360 controller using XPadder? The touchpad? Why in the world would you buy this thing?
>>
I disabled click since clickings sort of stiff, so it is a touch dpad, not a click-pad. I think the root problem is the dpad cross-shaped depression is no good for giving you a sense of the center of the pad.

There was a feature called "adaptive centering" that seemed like the solution for this, but it doesn't work as advertised.
>>
>>333791137
either use the analog with cross gate emulation as a d-pad, or set the haptics to high on the left pad and make it touch instead of click with cross gate. that way only the actual cross will work as a d-pad, and the heavy haptics will make you feel like youre clicking without clicking
>>
>>333793426
No it can't magically add analog functionality to games that don't have it. The touchpads are great for various stuff, much more precise than an analog stick for looking around for example.
>>
>>333793426

I'll try to explain.

The big thing with the Steam controller is that the right touchpad is literally the best alternative to actually using a mouse on the couch. Games like the original Deus Ex or Diablo 2 are actually fun on a Steam Controller unlike using Xpadder + 360 controller where its finnicky as fuck.

When your thumb rests on the touchpad, you can set it so that as it moves, it feels "bumps" (AKA the haptic feedback) as you move along the surface, making precise mouse movements that would be alot harder to do on any other controller.

Except it gets better. The steam controller's gyro is actually pretty accurate and you can set it to the mouse and have it activate (for example) when you pull the left trigger, so you aim generally with the touchpad then make fine adjustments with the gyro. You can also set it so that the gyro "vibrates" as you aim, letting your body know how far you're aiming with the gyro.

Combined, it makes it possible to play games like Civ5, MMOs, Morrowind, (generally games that never had controller support) possible. I make it sound really good, but keep in mind that if you aren't going to use it for games like these, it becomes alot less useful.
>>
>>333791137
this might be strange, but for side scrollers i actually use the L.Grip for left, the R.Grip for right, analog stick solely for duck if the game has a duck option, and then A for jump. then X,Y,B,Bumpers,Triggers for anything else. i like it for like axiom verge, valdis story, momodora, etc
>>
I don't understand the popular trend of using Mouse look instead of joystick look but it's the most obnoxious thing I have to change on every community made controller setup.

Other than that I really enjoy it. Its shit for Enter the Gungeon though I suspect it's just shit with a controller in general.
>>
games for Steam there with rating E for Everyone on the ESRB?

please I want to play with the following requirements.

games without magic, without references to magic.

games without references to devils

games without inappropriate content

Games rated E for Everyone by the ESRB

and politically correct games
>>
>>333794432
youre gonna get torn apart for trying to be straightforward.
tldr, the gyro and the touchpad are both individually capable of far higher precision then a mouse or controller. when combined its even higher precision. also, the haptic feedback is indescribable without actually feeling it for yourself but it makes you able to better space out both subtle and drastic movements.
>>
>>333794679
Why wouldn't you want to use mouse look? It's practically what the controller is made for and it gives you way more control.
>>
>>333794432
>>333794884
Thanks for the reply. Very thorough and helpful, seriously.
>>
File: 1401355986493.jpg (35 KB, 360x433) Image search: [Google]
1401355986493.jpg
35 KB, 360x433
>>333791137
>steam controller
only works with steam doesnt work with computers but costs same amount as every other controller with limited functionality.

great job!
>>
>>333791137
So is this worth buying if most of my game library is torrented?
>>
I bought it also with the DS3 bundle, and honestly the "D-pad" is pretty much the worst thing about the controller. I like everything but that and if the left pad was just a little smaller it would be better for D-pad use.
>>
>>333795143

Yep. Install Steam. Add each game as a Non-Steam shortcut.
>>
>>333791137
>steam controller
dumb mounted touchpad been around like 50 years. Much inventive, much wow. would not buy.
>>
>>333794865
audiosurf
blocks that matter
cogs
dear esther
eets munchies
fez
girls like robots
kentucky route zero
machinarium
where is my heart
world of goo
i get that it was bait but heres some that meet those req's.
>>
>>333795309
>>333795143
The only drawback is that you won't have access to community profiles.
>>
>>333795242
Can't you just reduce the outer deadzone to make it smaller? Or does it not work when using it as a d-pad. I don't have mine here right now to test.
>>
>>333795454

Unless you are lazy or trying to play games like DOTA 2, its a better idea to make profiles yourself because you're going to eventually be unhappy with something and edit it anyways.
>>
>>333795138
>doesnt know you can map it for non-steam games
>doesnt know you can map a default for when steams not running
>japanese pop idol laughing dot jaypeg

great job!
>>
>>333795309
But do I have to have steam open to play them, because that doesn't work with some games.

Also, how good do you think the steam controller would be for:
>Fallout 4
>DSII
>>
I got mine today.

God I fucking love it.

I don't know if I'll ever use my F310 again.
>>
>>333794679
I play Enter the Gungeon with a 360 controller and I actually prefer it to keyboard. Makes it so I don't ever have to release movement controls to flip a table, reload, use a blank or whatever. Unfortunately map navigation is a lot slower and aim is very slightly harder, but I prefer controller.

I actually bought a steam controller with the DS3 bundle and I'm kind of worried. It's not here yet but the opinions seem really divided. I hope I can get used to not having a stick on the right hand.
>>
>>333795764
Fallout doesn't work that well if you free-aim a lot. Though if you use VATS it wouldn't matter.
I've only heard good things with Dark Souls and the cotnroller.
>>
>>333795764
It works fantastic with DS2.

Can't say for FO4.

I will say avoid using it with DS1, it still suffers with the mouse movement lag
>>
>>333795764

You can only set one "global" profile without steam. Anything else and Steam needs to run in the background. For a modern PC with 8GB its not an issue, but if you don't like Steam then you're fucked until someone makes a decent opensource alternative.
>>
>>333795616
There's also already a few libraries to make it work without steam. After all it basically just functions as a gamepad, a mouse and a keyboard all in one.
https://github.com/kolrabi/steamcontroller
https://github.com/ynsta/steamcontroller
>>
>>333791137
you cant compete competitively with a controller, try playing world of tanks with a controller and you will lose everytime.
>>
>>333796024
That's any controller, who gives a fuck
>>
>>333795913
Maybe if the price drops to $40 i'll pick it up.

It could be nice to use as a media remote if someone makes it usable outside of Steam
>>
>>333796054
I got it with DS3 in the bundle.
I'm probably going to refund DS3 so it works out.
>>
>>333791137
only losers would own a controller, why bother even gaming if people arent going to do it right. steam should be punishing people who use computers badly instead of this poorly made in a third world garbage.
>>
>>333795956
>>333795764
i never noticed a problem with it on DS1. assuming you got dsfix (optonal: fpsfix), the recommended layout for DS1 works perfect. stuck at capra demon kill meee
>>
>>333795764
Fallout won't let you use gamepad and kb+m at the same time, so you can't combine the best of both. If you map everything to kb+m it should work okay though.

>>333796024
I've actually been playing war thunder with it and doing fine. Even got a few kills in air sim battles.
>>
>>333796024

>you cant compete competitively with a controller

And noone would. Steam controller is for when you want to play something semi-casually on the couch thats requires more accuracy than a joystick. With enough practice you can try to be competitive, but if its that serious you would switch to KB/M anyways.
>>
>>333795997
>This is a little C library for Linux
>The initial target is GNU/Linux

Any that work without Steam, but for windows?
>>
>>333796356
>Steam controller is for when you want to play something semi-casual
why bother playing at all noob? just kill yourself if you dont take gaming seriously.
>>
>>333796403

:')
>>
>>333796024
eh, im pretty competitive in TF2 and its only helped - ive generally improved in shooters. AND i use gyro
>>
>>333796376
I think that library has windows support, there's a steamcontroller_win32.c file. Maybe the readme isn't updated yet.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.