[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I was a kid, triangle was to go back. Now circle is to go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: playstation controller.jpg (98 KB, 1500x1305) Image search: [Google]
playstation controller.jpg
98 KB, 1500x1305
When I was a kid, triangle was to go back. Now circle is to go back. When did this happen?
>>
They realised Japan was right.
>>
>>333762643
Doesn't Japan use circle for confirm and X to cancel?
>>
>>333762721
I think they do.

I always knew triangle as the menu button.
>>
Triangle to cancel or go back was one of the ways to just avoid having to change XO/OX during localization.

It was never standard as I recall.
>>
>>333763369
I remember basically all PSX games using it at the time.
>>
It's more convenient and quicker to hit. Been playing a lot of PS1 games lately.
>>
>>333762290
>When did this happen?
When they realized that it's easier to move your thumb between X and O than between X and Δ.
>>
When the PS3 was released.
>>
>>333763757
But making it harder to hit is generally good when you're in menus.
>>
>>333762290
That is actually a lie. Triangle was never back. Circle was confirm and cross was to go back. Fuck off and stop spreading disinformation.
>>
how about you shut the hell up? when will that happen?
>>
>>333763865
Fuck off yourself and your Japanese layout.
>>
iirc Gran Turismo used X/O to confirm and S/T to cancel, it was pretty weird.
>>
>>333763853
You must have some fat fingers to accidentally hit O when trying to press X.
>>
>>333764101
You can accidentally press "o" instead of "x" when you mean to confirm, especailly since some games used that control scheme, whereas it's very hard to hit triangle to do the same.
>>
What are you talking about? I play a lot of (US) PS1 games and I can't think of a single one that uses triangle to go back.
>>
File: videogame16.jpg (29 KB, 580x393) Image search: [Google]
videogame16.jpg
29 KB, 580x393
Here's the official Playstation™ confirm/back button history:

PSX is released in Japan. O is confirm, X is back

PSX is released in US/Europe. Japs think westerners are retarded so they use two opposites, X and Triangle as the confirm and back button. This is to make it easier to understand.

PS2 is released, everything largely stays the same.

PS3 is released. Japs realize going from X to Triangle is harder to hit for Westerners. They change it to X and O. To make the transition easier, they keep X as the confirm button and just change cancel to O. This works out the same as the Japanese layout except the other way round.
>>
>>333764405
Can't tell you off any PS1 ones off the top of my head, but Ratchet & Clank 100% did.
>>
>>333764405
probably nothing but jrpgs weeb
>>
>>333764514

I'm not doubting that some do, but none of the games that I play do.
>>
>>333764583
>>333764551
Yeah, that's probably right. Any Jap shit with a lazy conversion job will still use circle for confirm and x for cancel
>>
>>333764583
>some

All of them.
>>
>Putting baby shapes on your controller buttons
>>
>>333764551

I don't have a single JRPG for PS1.
>>
>>333764665
What the fuck do you own then? Literally any of the most basic, run of the mill PSX games that everyone has played use X and Triangle. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Gran Turismo, MGS, whatever.
>>
>>333764665

What do you own for it then? Other than Metal Gear that is.
>>
>>333764664
Get that alphanumeric shit outta here.
>>
>>333762721
I bought a Japanese PS3 a few years ago as a grey import and can confirm that circle was confirm and X was back. It was hard coded into the system. Holy shit it took a solid 2 weeks to rewrite my muscle memory I had built up over a decade of pressing X to confirm. Then I bought a ps4 and everything was right in the world again.
>>
>>333762290
it was always inconsistent as fuck, particularly early on (Jumping Flash in the US used O for select, X cancel IIRC, and Ridge Racer used X/O select, Triangle/Square back)

at some point around 1997, it seemed to stabilize, but not really
shit, there's still PS2 and PSP games that use O confirm/X back or O/X confirm, Tri/Squ back, and probably a handful of PS3 games that do the same

really, O/X as confirm, Triangle/Square back was ideal, the world should have standardized on that shit
>>
You will never know the struggle of playing divegrass games with normie friends

>Play Pro Evo non stop
>Square to shoot, circle to lob/long pass
>This is the reverse of Fifa
>Play normie friends at Fifa
>Switch controls to alternate that only switches these two buttons for the exact purpose of making it straighforward for Pro Evo players to play
>Literally takes 2 seconds to do this
>Spend the entire night listening to them all complaining about how difficult it was to deal with this
>>
To begin with, changing O as confirm to X in the west was weird. An X is very commonly a negative, while O is a positive. If you want to give a hand sign for something to stop, crossing your arms in an X shape is sure as shit more clear than an O. Even as a kid I found that strange, but just rolled with it because I didn't know any better.
>>
>>333765716
Fuck FIFA controls man. Even outside of retarded button assignment, PSX and PS2 ones controlled like shit. I haven't tried any of the new ones tho.
>>
>>333765148

Why? It's easy to recognize for anyone past the age of 2.
>>
File: 5687654255.jpg (66 KB, 477x450) Image search: [Google]
5687654255.jpg
66 KB, 477x450
>>333762290
the original xbox came with A confirm and B cancel

so when the ps3 was released Sony did the same
>>
Because most games last gen were made for the 360, then ported to PS3. A translated ot X, and B translated to Circle. This eventually became the norm for all games.
>>
WHEN I WAS
A YOUNG BOY
>>
>>333767241
How 'bout countries not based on the roman alphabet?
>>
>>333762290
With the PS3, I think. I didn't have a PS2, but I played some games on the PS2. The games I played used triangle for cancel/back.

>>333767470
MY DADDY
>>
everyone in this thread is wrong

this is because sony copied nintendo's control scheme with the ps1

nintendo uses A and B where O and X are now respectively so they left it like that in japan

it makes sense if you consider the early PS1 was born out of the SNES partnership sony had with nintendo
>>
The more pressing debate is, what do you call those buttons? Cause I hear so many different label. I personally use X, O, Square, and Triangle, even though it probably should be Cross and Circle for the sake of consistency.
>>
File: Donald Trump.jpg (13 KB, 480x251) Image search: [Google]
Donald Trump.jpg
13 KB, 480x251
>>333767514

I assume even there children know what A and B is. America is the greatest country in the world after all.
>>
>>333767925
ex, circle, square, triangle
cross is for fags
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.