[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw this amazing fan game in a thread last night. >anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 1460189367689.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460189367689.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I saw this amazing fan game in a thread last night.

>anyone know the name? looks fun as fuck.
>>
Looks like just a Generations mod.
>>
>>333756252
looks like the textures from super monkey ball, but I cant help you anon. good luck
>>
Bump for interest, godspeed OP
>>
Dudes been subtly shilling this in-progress fangame in Sonic threads for like half a year now, pretty sure it doesn't have a name or has been released yet.
>>
>no one remembers the blitz sonic engine
>>
3D Sonic fangame that won't go anywhere #227
>>
>white arms

0/10 wouldnt play
>>
Isn't this from the sonic gdk?
>>
>>333757292

It's based off sonic GDK.
>>
>>333756252
Why do people think those loops look nice in a 3d world? They were a bi-product of working in 2D, at least make it a tunnel through a mountain or something.
>>
>>333756949
Do any fan games go anywhere while still being fan games?
Dude's better off getting a job in the industry
>>
>>333758636
Even the 3D games change the camera angle every time you go in a loop.
But that's a part of "game feel", a subject that indie game devs rarely understand
>>
>>333756252

You didn't need to greentext that last sentence.

Look up Sonic GDK
>>
>>333756252
>using memearrows wrong

kill youre' selve
>>
File: srb2-title.png (9 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
srb2-title.png
9 KB, 320x200
Isn't out, but this is.
>>
Why we never had Sonic open-world game? I think technology can allow it these day. I remember as a kid I thought it was fun just to derp around in Sonic Adventure's hub world sometimes, finding secrets and clues on how to advance, raising chaos.
>>
>>333760383
The most overrated fan game of all time
>>
>>333760598
I guess Open world doesn't really lend itself well to a game like that. see - crash twinsanity
>>
File: 1447814228156.jpg (24 KB, 332x450) Image search: [Google]
1447814228156.jpg
24 KB, 332x450
>>333756949
Back in 2010 I thought this one would go somewhere, but I guess I was mistaken.

https://youtu.be/R4y9-_yxsa8
>>
>amazing
Is that what it is?
>>
>>333760967
I remember this piece of work, people were hype for it and then Sega pulled out the cease and desist. This was around the whole Sonic 4 looks like fucking shit debacle

that year, i had a computer that could just barely pull this off
>>
File: image.jpg (225 KB, 913x1849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225 KB, 913x1849
>>333757131
>blue arms
>>
File: 1325564675.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1325564675.jpg
169 KB, 1920x1080
>Open World Sonic game
>>
File: 1352156614032.jpg (10 KB, 168x159) Image search: [Google]
1352156614032.jpg
10 KB, 168x159
>>333756252
>just running/dashing forward

Made by someone who doesn't understand why people liked Sonic. Shit/10 wouldn't watch again.
>>
>>333756252
wow, it looks like you actually control Sonic so the game doesn't just play itself
>>
>you will never modify an F-Zero game so it's all sonic characters checking each other off of cliffs
>>
>>333756252
I've been busy and unable to work on it lately, but work does continue. Sorry to keep you waiting OP.

This will be my last post in the thread.
>>
>>333756252
Amazing where? It looks like something made in UE4 in a bunch of hours.
No depth at all. Pretty sure there's a very similar thing but with shittier graphics and more memetic around too with Sonic being a blue car.
>>
>>333756252
>Why did you randomly use greentext?
>>
>>333756252
The dev posts here from time to time. He said that this is only a proof of concept and not a complete game
>>
>>333763480
According to the guy it's an attempt to convert the genesis momentum concept into 3D. I say attempt because I feel the obsession with momentum has lead him and many others astray.

His concept has it that if you find a steep enough terrain and move down it unobstructed you enter a mach state similar to Sonic Advance 2.

All fine and well on its own, but where the issue starts is the effect of this state. While people have bitched up and down about boost2 win at the very least Sonic Team had the foresight to make it resource dependent. So if you didn't have your rings or just kept boost into things you'd eventually have to go through things the normal way. In a sense that is the 3D version of momentum because the game rewards you for keeping your flow by giving you even more flow. Yes it's very simplified in terms of its physics and it similarly slaps enemies out of your path but the point is again you have to reliably navigate your way through the level plus get more rings to continue boosting. You cannot actually just boost to win despite what the simplification of that criticism attempts.

Here however. Well, I'll get into it.
>>
>>333760598
Because going fast does not work well in a 3d plane. It needs to be controlled, otherwise it'd be way too chaotic, which is why he works well in 2D since it does exactly that.
>>
>>333766346
>which is why he works well in 2D since it does exactly that.
But it hardly works in 2D because it doesn't give you time to see and process the obstacles popping up on the right side of the screen.
>>
>>333766573

Maybe if you're shit at video games
>>
>>333766110
There is no real limit to the mach state outside of keeping up your momentum. There's no mach state button. What this means essentially is you have no real say in the matter. If you have a good pace going, Mach State. Don't want it? Mach State anyway.

Enemies are destroyed and rings are gathered so it's even more lenient.
>How is carefully keeping up your momentum lenient?!
Once you figure out the level it's figured out.
>Isn't that like the old games?
No. See the old games seamlessly fused platforming with the option for high speed momentum. There was a synergy. Top velocity meant you could hit springs, go up ramps and other such platforming but in a swifter fashion, not just run really fast through things.

There's still some classic platforming in store, but the point remains this idea of theirs has basically reduced the levels into mach state portions and slowing down to platform. It's like going at top speed, braking, turning, top speed, brake, etc. It's not going to flow well. With boost you had the option of when you wanted the speed. Sure you can just choose to go slower here but then what?

Any location for deliberate platforming will most likely impede gaining momentum, any location for mach will just be for mach. Even if there are hazards in the mach area once you mach they disappear.

I've been saying this for some time, people do not give Sonic Team credit for pioneering high speed 3D platforming as they have. People may not like the results of their efforts but the fact remains they have the experience to at least understand their direction. This is a misunderstanding of both 2D and 3D Sonic's gameplay and direction. I'm sure people will still enjoy it, but with enough replay the mach paths will become obvious, the platforming familiar and the overall design philosophy resemble the boost games people detest and maybe then people will understand why Sonic Team is where they are now.
>>
>>333767298
Everyone runs straight into a badnik
>>
>>333767420

Then you press the down button

Problem solved
>>
>>333756252
>Sonic is all about the speed
This is like the hipster perception of Sonic games. Probably from watching old SEGA ads about SEGA does what Nintendon't, when there was actually alot of platforming and less consoles hooked up to racecars in reality.
>>
Open world doesn't work for Sonic games. What you need is good solid level design that makes use of momentum mechanics. Momentum alone doesn't make a Sonic game good.

Hell, at no point in the original trilogy are you actually forced to use momentum mechanics to clear an area. The level design never requires it. All it does is enhance the sensation of speed,and it feels great when combined with some solid level layout and enemy placement.

You can make the most accurate pinball physics in the world but that don't mean shit if there's nothing interesting to use it with
>>
>>333767983
If the casuals all think it's nothing about speed, wouldn't that make the hipster opinion thinking there's more to Sonic?

I agree with you that there's more than speed, just arguing "hipster."
>>
>>333767983
>when there was actually alot of platforming

Whatever platforming existed was shallow and short segments, usually can be bypassed with a well timed jump while moving fast.

The most platform heavy zone in the entire franchise is Scrap Brain Zone. You can roll through or jump over just about everything else.

Sonic games were a good mix of fast paced action with tiny breaks of minor platforming to keep you interested.
>>
>>333768051
>Open world doesn't work for Sonic games
> Not wanting a "world size" open world to just blast around
>>
>>333756949
>fangame that won't go anywhere

Not Sonic, but I was looking forward to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba6-DtjuZ8E
>>
>>333768384

As a hub world maybe, but as an actual level, what's the point? What's the objective? You can pretty much bypass every obstacle and route by just going straight to the goal, which is probably barren and empty because all the spectacle is located elsewhere outside of the goal line. You could put collectable items in other areas but now you have a collectathon.

Lost World also suffered with something similar. Especially on the tube shaped levels where they put all this platforming and obstacles and shit on one side of the map, but give you literally no reason to go them.
>>
>>333768756
Whichever cheeky fuck made that trailer should work in PR for everything forever.
>See that future? You can live it T&C apply, ideal future not included
>>
http://youtu.be/m1cqXwXncGc
>level rips to proper engine
I remember following this.
>>
The Name isSonic GDK.
It's a Sonic Engine running on Unreal engine.

If you search it up, you'll find install details and what not.
>>
>>333769019
You're right about that. First time I saw that trailer I was more hyped than I've ever been for anything before. Didn't even know a trailer for a fucking fangame could do that to me.

And then nothing came of it.

On the bright side, some other people have made their own Metroid 2 fan-game, and it's pretty good.

I'd just like to find the source of the song in the trailer, really. I'd love to hear more like it.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.