[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vidya writing fucking sucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1459600209924.jpg (13 KB, 311x360) Image search: [Google]
1459600209924.jpg
13 KB, 311x360
Holy fucking shit, why is writing always the worst aspect in so many videogames, especially in AAA games?

Does no one give a shit? Do companies only hire retards? Is it just an excuse to push political agendas?

And don't give me that horseshit about only gameplay mattering, shitty games can be saved by amazing writing.
>>
Professional writers are an expensive luxury, and it's hard to write for a game in any case. The gameplay issue isn't horseshit, because pretty much any amount of storytelling results in taking time away from the gameplay. If you want to make a game which people are going to play more than once and not be bored, you can't load it down with plot.
>>
>>333755362
>Is it just an excuse to push political agendas
Basically?

Also as you can tell by a llot of concept art, things are much cooler in planning than they are in execution, maybe a dev simply can't pull off a good story with techinical limitations.
>>
>>333756009
*due to technical limitations

Also this is pure speculation but I feel pretty confident that a lot of dev teams bring friends over that are """"""""""""idea guys""""""""""""
>>
In almost every case, the writer wasn't hired for their writing skills. It was just someone already on the team who happened to also be decent at writing and there's usually several of them.
>>
Soul Sacrifice has the best story and writing that I ever saw in video games desu
But its vita exclusive so almost noone here played it
>>
>>333756528
I wish I coulda played it, it looked like monster hunter with no grinding
>>
>>333756621
Yes it's a Monster Hunter clone but with a really good story and lore that you read as a journal between missions.
Whole menu is based on a book.
>>
>>333756169
>>333756009
I'm aware of that but sometimes there's just no fucking excuse. Justifications, dialogue, background, motives are all written and 9 out of 10 times it's an embarrassment.
>>
>>333756528
>Soul Sacrifice
Maybe it can get the Remastered treatment like Gravity Rush.
>>
>>333756931
Most of the time when people try to come off as cool, they come off as edgy and immature. DMC, Bayonetta, and the like get a pass because they don't take themselves seriously. Too many writers take themselves and their work too seriously, is the main issue, and it's kinda hard to make edits after voiceowork and animation are finished for it.
>>
Sometimes, the story usually takes priority in design first instead of it being worked together the gameplay. This isn't necessarily bad at first because both can still work together in this way, but whenever there is a cut in the game for whatever reason (can't optimize, doesn't fit in whatever way with the game, etc.), the story written for the game ends up fragmented and worse because it's not able to adapt to design changes well. For part of this reason, it's most likely why cutscenes are common to tell a story since they can somewhat adapt to design changes easier at the end, and even with that, some changes are made to satisfy the changes made and not adhere to the entire story.

Writing for a game tends to be difficult because some writers are used to writing for a passive medium and either don't or aren't familiar with how to write for an interactive medium. There's also little room for changes once everything is set up and the deadline reaches closer.

>shitty games can be saved by amazing writing.
What is an example of one?
>>
>>333756528
I played it
it was nice but at the same time its basically edgy fairy tales
>>
>>333757929
The Soul Reaver games don't exactly have amazing gameplay but it's made up in the writing department.
>>
File: 1456589817234.png (309 KB, 664x602) Image search: [Google]
1456589817234.png
309 KB, 664x602
my guess is because orginal scripts or stories end up way different than when they first started out because of practicality. And once you start changing one small thing here or there the whole thing is open season to get messed with thus the end product is far different than the original idea and shitty.
>>
Anyone who is actually competent at writing doesn't write for fucking video games, nor should they want to.
>>
>>333758669
Where do REAL writers go then?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.