[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Months ago, I had never played a Metal Gear game, and was only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
Months ago, I had never played a Metal Gear game, and was only vaguely familiar with the characters and concepts. When I saw that a friend of mine owned a copy of Ground Zeroes, I borrowed it, expecting to play it for an hour or two, laugh a bit at the absurd plot MGS is renowned for, and return it.

Instead, I completed most of the missions, went out and bought The Phantom Pain, and proceeded to spend more playtime on it than any other game in my life (besides Tetris and some shovelware I had for my gameboy when I was nine). The plot had its ups and downs, but I really liked it overall. And the gameplay was quite possibly the most fun I've had in years, and it was certainly the most lastable. Video games tend to be a bit apples-and-oranges to me, but MGSV:TPP is definitely in the top three if not my favorite game of all time.

And yet, everyone who has anything to say on the matter has nothing to say but negative. I can only assume that there were some flaws that only seem apparent when directly compared to its predecessors. The only thing I could really make sense of was the absence of boss battles, and yes, that was a bit disappointing, considering how much fun I had with Sahelanthropus and the Skulls.

In short, my questions for you are: What is it about the previous Metal Gear games that caused TPP to be a disappointment? Which games would you recommend as an example, or perhaps just an entry point?
>>
>>333744613
>I can only assume that there were some flaws that only seem apparent when directly compared to its predecessors.

The cutscenes aren't as long and THAT'S IT
>>
>>333744613

I don't know, I quit MGS after 4 since it was fucking garbage. TPP looks like shit too, looks like an open world MGS4.

Play 1, 2 and 3, they are the only MGS games worth playing. Why the hell would you play a MGS game without starting with the first?
>>
>>333744613
A lot of it has to do will most of the plot being given away in the trailers, as well as a few plot lines that are just dropped with no real conclusion.
>>
>>333745334
The plot and characterization are less than half done. There are hardly any cut scenes anyway. 90% of the time you're listening to Troy Baker or who ever the fuck voices Miller blabber fucking on. And on. And on. Not really saying anything. The plot twist was total bullshit and really pointless. No it's not just the short cut scenes
>>
>>333744613
People watched the trailers a million times and made up a game in their heads.
>>
Play 3, nigga - it's perfect. Also it's a prequel and first in the timeline so as a newcomer you won't be confused.
>>
File: bluemorpho.jpg (40 KB, 450x294) Image search: [Google]
bluemorpho.jpg
40 KB, 450x294
>>333744613
honestly

Ground Zeroes was actually pretty promising. the tapes, the paz drama, skull face, chico were all great and engaging.

still today I think GZ is a better experience than TPP
>>
>>333746281
>half done
One mission is missing
>>
People can say what they want about TPP, but Shining Lights was definitely one of the best moments in the series.
>>
>>333746604
He should play 1, 2, 3 then peacewalker
There is a legacy edition for PS4 with 1, 2, 3, 4 and PW on it. It's the easiest way to get into the entire series.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>333747737
NO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3RsZuXwGUQ
>>
>>333748104
>that tape you get afterwards
>>
File: Big-Boss.jpg (43 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Big-Boss.jpg
43 KB, 1920x1080
>>333748745
>tfw you relisten all the paz gz tapes afterward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFfBxhcz6w&nohtml5=False
>>
>What is it about the previous Metal Gear games that caused TPP to be a disappointment?
TPP was hyped up as the secod coming of Christ, the culmination of a multi-decades long franchise. It doesn't matter how fun the game is, it could only en din mass disappointment.
>>
>>333746281
>i don't want to listen tapes 'cause reasons

I pity you
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.