[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any anons here work or have worked in the gaming industry. How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: YayCat.jpg (25 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
YayCat.jpg
25 KB, 490x368
Any anons here work or have worked in the gaming industry. How is it, and is it worth pursuing? Any stories?
>>
any indie dev wouldn't reveal themselves here unless they were filling one criteria...

1) NOT "pixelshit"
2) pushing some sort of anti-SJW/edgy opinion

not the place to ask. man
>>
>>333741193
Don't have to be indie devs
>>
Currently a designer for a small phone games studio. It's really fun work but that mostly comes from the studio, not what I'm doing. There's plenty of fun and shenanigans. I'm still recovering from a hangover from last night where we all went out drinking till like 3am on the studios bill.

The tip is try to join a small studio, like 40 people at the most to enjoy a close-knit and comfy atmosphere.
>>
>>333742075
I'm guessing you guys are located in a big city, like New York or Cali
>>
Getting your foot in the door is important, unless you're a risktaker and want to wager all your finances becoming an indie startup or something.

QA at a AAA is legit, and a good portion of our devs started there. Do good work and you'll move up, show talent and your leads will be eager to have you use it, etc. Just like any corporation.

Basically, unless you're gambling on being indie, it's like any other job. Except with video games.
>>
>>333743128
Bonus protip: NC is a mecca for this stuff. Go elsewhere if you want to indie, but we've got shittons of big companies here drooling for competent hard workers.
>>
A friend of mine worked for EA doing localisations.
He says unless you're high in the ranks it pays like shit, but not only does it pay like shit almost in every level it's also super stressful and it takes a lot of your time.

You work a lot for few pay, it's a very unrewarding job to make games and you have to get into it because you really love it.

He quit it to become a teacher (programming).

Just ask yourself, how many indie devs are successful? If you want a job making videogames you either become an indie dev or join a big studio and work for them. But good luck with that.
>>
>>333742757
Not really a big city but I suppose. Also the studio is part of a larger company.
>>
File: x5J6LLd.jpg (76 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
x5J6LLd.jpg
76 KB, 717x960
I don't work in he industry but applied for a position as a project manager at Gameloft.

Apart from having some background in project management, one part of the process was to explain my solution to making games more inclusive and what kind of approach would I take when making a game for girls around 12-16 .

Ultimately I didn't take the job because it required me to move to Tijuana spoiler. When I was jobless I really considered it
>>
>>333743702
I wish my house had a breaker box like that
>>
>>333743702
I was having a bad day until I saw your picture. Thanks.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.