[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this game live up to its hype? What went right? What went
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14
File: GTAV.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GTAV.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Did this game live up to its hype? What went right? What went wrong?

I'm mostly talking about the singleplayer but discussion about the multiplayer is welcome as well.

The first good thing I noticed was the level of detail to little things in the game. It has a great amount of TECHNOLOGY. Broken glass tinkles under footsteps, RWD and FWD cars actually have RWD and FWD respectively, and vehicle damage is actually quite detailed depending on where you impact (the amount of damage is somewhat toned down though, a car impacting a semi at 100mph should completely crunch). The characters were all fun to play as also, the VA the actors did was superb.

The first bad thing I noticed was a complete lack of patrolling cops compared to earlier GTAs. In my 150 hours of gameplay I've seen 3 total cops on patrol (with pics if anyone doesn't believe). One was even a motorcycle cop which I don't think I've ever even seen in a chase. Adding on to the law system, if you commit a few crimes in a short time period and nobody sees the cops will still be called on you (this is not from animals, that code was rewritten a while ago). The star system is somewhat lame as well. One star is a couple of cops on your tail no shooting. Two stars is a few more cops same thing. Three stars is half the police force coming out to get you guns a blazing plus helicopters and roadblocks/spikestrips. Four stars is all that plus FIB vans in hot pursuit. Five stars is all that plus more time before they stop looking for you...why couldn't they have the Army come out to get you with Humvees and tanks or something crazy like that?

Anyway feel free to discuss GTA V.
>>
>>333722945
I think we've established that gtav is inferior to gtaiv in many ways, already
>>
File: 1458686453445.jpg (50 KB, 960x852) Image search: [Google]
1458686453445.jpg
50 KB, 960x852
>>333723057
>>
>>333723057
GTAV is an improvement over GTAIV in many ways. Yes you can post that youtube video now if you really want to.
>>
>>333723057
No.
>>
The only thing I'm pissed about is how obtuse the multiplayer is and sharkcards
>>
>>333723057
/V hates both
>>
>>333724056
/v/ hates everything
>>
No it definitely didn't live up to the level of hype that builds up with 5 years of waiting for a sequel to a series that in its most recent release made large technological strides.
>>
There's a lot of good things so let's focus on the bad ones
>Missions are way too casualized and linear
>Progression aren't clear. Maps and activities are mostly unlocked from the start. Money are plenty even after the first mission
>Plot isn't that good and unfocused
>Almost no reason for 3 playable characters, they're play the same
>Cops are no fun edition
>Still less of activities than SA
>Some of the activities are one time only
>>
I feel like too much of the hype was about the three different playable characters.
When you first start the game, you can notice very minor differences between the them, but since your stats can improve, by the end of the game there was pretty much no difference between the characters other than their special abilities.
Also the switching mechanic was barely used IIRC. Most missions gave you the option to change characters on the fly, but since the characters feel the same there was no point unless it was mandatory.
I remember a later mission where you have to save Lamar handled the three characters switching really well, with each of them having a different important role, but that was only one part of the game.
If each characters stats were static and their strengths and weaknesses were more noticeable, it would be a much better game.
>>
>>333724898
>>Missions are way too casualized and linear
For sure there is plenty of handholding. I wish there were a lot more heists with varying ways of doing them.
>Progression aren't clear. Maps and activities are mostly unlocked from the start. Money are plenty even after the first mission
Eh, I like that the map is completely unlocked. It allows for lots of free roaming. Money is still relevant until the second heist.
>Plot isn't that good and unfocused
True.
>Almost no reason for 3 playable characters, they're play the same
True, I do like the variety of personality and motivations though.
>Cops are no fun edition
True. They are SEAL Team 6 sniper accurate when shooting into your car at high speeds.
>>
File: 48640731_p10_master1200.jpg (463 KB, 620x1041) Image search: [Google]
48640731_p10_master1200.jpg
463 KB, 620x1041
The shooting mechanics were an improvement.
High speed chasing doesn't feel so clunky now.
Different vehicles to use like Jets, Farm Planes coming back to the series was nice.
The PC version is actually pretty optimized.
The visuals are nice.
Seemless character switching.
Interact with NPCs instead of just physically abusing them.

Problems I have with the game are

Not enough single player heist missions. Making majority of the heist crew a bit worthless.
Plot is a bit all over the place not that IV didn't have its issues but they felt like they were just there just because.
GTA online is loading screen the game.
The stat increase thing made very little difference.
Switching characters can sometimes be a nuisance. Like switching to trevor because you want to do a specific sidequest all to be dealing with a 5 star police chase when it happens.

But overall, I enjuoyed it.
>>
>>333722945
>One was even a motorcycle cop which I don't think I've ever even seen in a chase.
Bullshit.
>>
They didn't need to tell a story through 3 people, I feel like if they told a longer story through Trevor or Michael, it would have been a lot better.
>>
one of the best games in the past decade, thats the only truth we agreed on
>>
Except story mode, everything else is boring. Minigames are so generic, there are no collectibles, and lack of complex side-activities. Check out Just Cause, Saints Row, or Infamous - and you will see why they are so much enjoyable. GTA V is closer to Mafia or LA Noire series, where sandbox is only enviroment of story-driven gameplay. But we expected something more from GTA, right?

As story game - very good.
As sandbox - poor and overrated.
>>
>>333724495
I think GTA VI will be different in this regard. GTA V was designed with PS3/360 in mind, and in many ways it was just a bigger GTA IV, meaning they probably had to sacrifice a lot of cool technology from GTA IV. The next GTA will not be held back, think about that
>>
File: 1446572464693.png (365 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1446572464693.png
365 KB, 700x394
>>333722945
Underneath the great first impression lies a shallow and boring game that punishes you for trying to have fun by using ridiculous police AI. All they had to do was copy RDR into modern setting.
>>
File: 1452817273032.jpg (41 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
1452817273032.jpg
41 KB, 396x382
>>333725717
>Check out Just Cause, Saints Row, or Infamous
>those shitty kids games
gtaV is light years ahead of those games, pleb
>>
It's a shadow of what made the originals great. In ten years time they will be just as great as they are now while this will be irrelevant.

>boring gunplay
>boring melee
>boring story
>mediocre radio at best, annoying radio at worst
>cinematic storytelling
>that prologue
>>
>>333725934
I hope Rockstar is paying you for your shitty oppinions, otherwise you are a retard.
>>
>>333722945
>car damage

You mean the complete lack of it?
>>
>>333725717
>where sandbox is only enviroment of story-driven gameplay
Fucking agree with this. As a single player game, it's fantastic. But the missions are way too linear that it clashed with the concept an open world game. Why would you made this very detailed world but you only use very little amount of it.

The same problem applies to IV, which is the most disappointing aspect for me.
>>
>>333725980
>made the originals great
which one, the top down first two?
>>
File: 2015-05-27_00001.jpg (191 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-27_00001.jpg
191 KB, 1920x1080
>>333725552
For you, CIA
>>
>still no IV meme video

step it up
>>
>>333726095
> a guy who likes Just Cause and fucking Saints row talks to me about opinions
okay dude
>>
>>333726152
Sorry, can't see shit on this picture.
>>
>>333726151
>tfw I loved Chinatown Wars
>>
>>333722945
Honestly it didn't live up to my hype because I thought it would be better than Red Dead Redemption. Its going to be hard for them to ever top RDR in my eyes, I doubt a follow up Red Dead game would even do it.
>>
>>333726151
no, Vice City and San Andreas. You can't really compare the top down ones.
>>
File: 12193683603.png (864 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
12193683603.png
864 KB, 1000x562
>>333726112
There is very detailed car damage. You just have to damage it a lot to get very bad compacting of the car body. A typical crash will easily crush a fender or fling off a door.

>>333726254
I can't help that you're blind
>>
>>333726276
Chinatown wars was goat
>>
>>333722945
singleplayer is great. Multiplayer is a broken piece of shit, where devs only add cosmetic shit like new cars rather than fixing years-old bugs or new heists.
>>
>>333726276
Better than IV
>>
>>333726406
so you're saying that VC and SA had good gunplay, melee, and story?
what the fucks wrong with you, I mean I can't blame them for the gameplay cause it was good for its time, but the stories are just stereotypical movie rehashes, they can't do that forever.
>>
>>333726246

JC and SR are full of things, you can go and do many awesome things from start, and they are always at hand, Just pick something, and have fun. Which is the nature of sandbox.

GTA V has just cool views, and good story, but fun is in another castle.
>>
>>333726732
beating ppl with a purple dildo gets boring pretty soon, its just juvenile and can't hold you for long.
>>
best AAA game since GTA4

has cooler secrets and vehicles than gta 4
>>
>>333726617
In my oppinion, VCS had better story than VC. It had also some more activities from SA. VCS and SA were last good GTA sandboxes, Chinatown Wars was not bad but more like a 1&2 remake.
>>
>>333726617
the guns in those games actually felt different. The gunplay in V is so lame. Melee and fighting actually felt taboo. In V it's so lame and toned down.
Story wise both VC and SA deliver far better than V. There are many missions in both games people can remember by heart. Can you say the same for V? What exactly is memorable about V's story? There's a few moments but overall? I can barely remember it.
>>
>>333726879
>He's never played SR 2
Nice opinions faggot
>>
I haven't played since the first few weeks. I beat the single player and multiplayer wasn't even out yet. The game is completely forgettable. I don't understand why it's so popular.
>>
>>333727048
CW was 3D GTA but top down, it's not like 1 or 2
>>
>>333727126
The problem with V's guns is that there a lots of them, but they are very samey. The only two assault rifles worth using are the Bullpup or the Carbine. Everything else just has worse stats.

AP pistol is the best pistol. Assault SMG is the best SMG. The MGs are too inaccurate and slow you down to be used well. The Heavy Sniper is the best one. Sticky bombs are the only explosives worth a damn. Lock-on Launcher flies faster than the RPG and can obviously track vehicles, its only problem is 10 less rockets. The shotguns are practically useless outside of indoor combat, the Assault shotgun's ROF outdoes everything but the Bullpup shotgun has the best range. Melee doesn't matter for shit, IMO the bat is the best because of its reach.

If there were fewer guns but varying stats between them it would be much better.
>>
>>333726879
Oh give me a break, I have never been doing that because there is so many more good things to do (Genki Shows, Insurance Fraud, a lot of crazy Mayhems, ect.)
>>
>>333727519
Not stat wise but sound wise. They all sound very bland and boring. Explosives are boring. Helicopters for example instantly explode instead of twirl around and explode like they did in IV. Going into god mode (which they only allow for 15 minutes for some reason) with explosive rounds quickly gets boring when you realise you've exhausted all possible types of mayhem by the time it's run out.
>>
>>333723057
Nah fuck off
>>
File: swedish flag.jpg (23 KB, 240x304) Image search: [Google]
swedish flag.jpg
23 KB, 240x304
>>333722945
The fact that this sentence is the second line in your post is a perfect metaphor for why GTA V was so bad.

Short answer: They split development and memory between SP and MP, and the SP Gameplay is severely limited as a result

Ex: In multiplayer you can
>go racing, rob a store, assault a gang hideout, buy apartments, order a vehicle to be delivered, participate in mini side quests from Lester or Trevor, do bounty missions and so on

In Single Player
>do story missions, replay completed story missions, try to get gold medals in story missions, buy clothing, rob a store (but only if you know where they are from playing multiplayer, there is no icon for convenience stores you can rob in SP, street races. Wander around looking for useless hidden packages and stunt jumps.

but no Vigilante, Taxi or ambulance missions. No gangland territory missions like San Andreas. In fact once you finish the storyline, there is practically nothing to do in GTAV except for killing cops and experimenting with the physics engine (stunts etc)

It's just irritating that SP got shafted so hard, and then R* released Multiplayer separately anyway. Fucking gay. And now, when the new GTA comes out, I doubt many will care about SP and R* will pull the same crap again.
>>
>>333722945
I really enjoyed it, most annoyances were small things that mods could easily fix
>civilians die after two punches
>omniscient police
Online mode is an abomination, of course
>>
>>333727809
>They all sound very bland and boring
Agreed. They don't have any punch or raw power feeling. The gunshots all sound very subdued. The UZI is the most common driveby weapon and it sounds like a peashooter.

>Helicopters for example
If you shoot the pilot they spin out, which is far more fun than point and blow up with a rocket. Still should spin out from rockets though.
>>
>land car on the roof
>car explodes
fucking retarded
>>
>>333727958
>Taxi missions
You get those via phonecall when you purchase the Taxi service of LS. Lame I know, but it's still there.

I agree the SP get fucked in turn for the MP.
>>
I enjoyed it. Though SA is still better.
Though V's car customizations blows SA's out of the water.
>>
File: 1423688266000.gif (327 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1423688266000.gif
327 KB, 256x192
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

^This is the original gameplay trailer for GTA V. This is one of the first gameplay trailers in a long goddamn time in which the gameplay they showed off is EXACTLY what the main game would be like (barring the loading of characters on previous gen versions that they cut for time).

That's not to say that GTA V doesn't have problems, because it does, but everything in that gameplay trailer is exactly how it is in the main game.
>>
I feel like there isn't much stuff to do once you finish the story. All that's left is stil cars and massacre NPC's for the millionth time. Everything else is extremely dull, I don't know anyone who finds Golf, Tennis or the "Take this truck and reach this place in this amount of time" missions fun.
>>
>>333727015
> GTA4
>good
wew even RDR was better and i hate westerns
>>
>>333728230
>Though SA is still better.

How?
>>
File: carlagugino.jpg (519 KB, 1592x3000) Image search: [Google]
carlagugino.jpg
519 KB, 1592x3000
>>333728150
Oh yeah I forgot.
>game is balanced against abusing the stock market, so if you didn't take advantage, you won't have enough money in the end to purchase all of the properties, so you have to reload and start over.

Then when you buy those properties, you get some extra useless cash per month, and maybe a one-off side mission if you're lucky.

GTA V doesn't deserve to be recognized as a singleplayer game and don't get me started on the plot. Fuck.
>>
>>333728271
I'll give them credit for that, that trailer had all you can do in game actually. Definely not perfect game but they didnt lied or cut what they show.
>>
>>333728550
>>game is balanced against abusing the stock market
Isn't that a good thing?
And honestly why do you even need that much money?

Apart for weapons and ammo what is there worth buying in the game?
>>
>>333728550
Yea you have to know how the game's stock market functions if you want 30mil or whatever it is by the endgame. It's stupid.
>>
File: emma_watson_smile_45.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
emma_watson_smile_45.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1440
>>333728753
That's the point, no. There is nothing to spend that extra money on, and having to restart because you didn't realize you should invest against the competitor of a fictional corporation after blowing up a salarymans car is fucking bullshit.

I mean, GTA IV was pushing with the level of non-gameplay content in the game, tv shows, theatre and magic shows (Wtf) but at least it had some effort and variety. GTA V is just bland.
>>
>>333728753
>Apart for weapons and ammo what is there worth buying in the game?
Literally nothing. Considering you can't keep cars that aren't yours it's a huge fucking waste of potential.
>>
It's aight
>>
File: sd.png (60 KB, 160x157) Image search: [Google]
sd.png
60 KB, 160x157
>>333727431
>The game is completely forgettable
what games do you like
>>
So the best mods for this game are Realistic Driving and Cop Overhaul right? Considering cops are no fun allowed and R* gimped the driving speeds
>>
>>333730005
Yes
>>
>>333722945
I didn't like that switching between characters was basically scripted in the missions and you couldn't play through the entire mission as a single character.

I didn't like how empty the world feels. The amount of cars and pedestrians (at least in the 360/ps3 version) is very low.

Heists are far between and only a couple of them are even interesting. Three Leaf Clover is better than all of them.

Only Los Santos and the desert area is interesting. The countryside is boring with very little in it.

I still thought it was a great game though.
>>
>>333730381
Yea the world livingness (?) was vastly improved in the updated version. I wish there were more enterable buildings. You can own a club and you can't enter it.

The country reminded me of RDR so I liked roaming it
>>
>>333722945
>Did it live up to its hype?
No. Me and a friend at work were hyped as fuck for this. We were going to make a crew and get everyone together. We were discussing what kinda heist member we'd be. He even memorised a bunch of De Niro's lines from HEAT.
This went on for weeks on end. I had holiday hours to burn up so took them for GTAV and put in around 100 hours within the first week or so.
Then online "launched" and it was an utter mess but I stuck with it.
I dropped it for a few months before going back to it and played online exclusively and really enjoyed it for a while.
Then I got it on PC and realised just how bad the main story was and how many opportunities were missed.
Online has basically become an interactive Skype group chat at this point.
Every time I try and give public lobbies a chance there's someone hacking or griefing everyone and it gets boring fast.
>>
>>333725417
>Seemless character switching
Battlefield 2: modern combat on the PS2 did it better.
>>
File: check my five.jpg (75 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
check my five.jpg
75 KB, 1024x768
>>333730897
>hacking or griefing

truly the dark ages of gaming. So common.

>tfw playing GTA V on PS3 and no First Person View
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.