[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you think this is accurate /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1460102343119.jpg (1 MB, 4944x3192) Image search: [Google]
1460102343119.jpg
1 MB, 4944x3192
do you think this is accurate /v/?
>>
>>333713749
>starting at VII
No. Start at IV or V.
>>
Which FF has the best monster design?
>>
>>333714424

I Disagree.

I'd say to start at VI or IX because of their relatively simple gameplay systems and easy to digest game worlds.
>>
>>333714424

>not starting with the best final fantasy
>>
>>333713749

Seems decent enough. I wonder if the PSX games haven't aged more poorly than the SNES titles these days for newcomers though.

Also:

> More emphasis on gameplay -> FFXII

What?
>>
>>333714487
>>
>I want more storytelling leads to the worst games(XIII) and the game that ruined the series forever(X)

Sounds right. Fuck story, gimmie a good game, characters, music and setting, THEN do story
>>
I want to see someone make a Final Fantasy timeline in the same way that those Zelda autists did.
>>
>>333714852

There's hardly any continuity in final fantasies. Just a few easter eggs here and there, mostly (outside of direct sequels obviously).
>>
>>333714912
Just like Zelda but they still managed to tie them together.
>>
>>333713749
>starting 7
sounds like you wanna ruin people on final fantasy
>>
>>333714974
If you're only going to play one Final Fantasy you might as well play the best one.
>>
>>333715094
I had a save point near this just so I could replay it over and over and over again.
>>
>>333713749
Accurate if you're a fucking ant.
>>
File: 1431736276075.png (48 KB, 656x734) Image search: [Google]
1431736276075.png
48 KB, 656x734
>>333714565
>>333715094
>VII
>best final fantasy

VII is an alright game but it's hardly the best FF game out there, and starting with it also paints a terrible view of the rest of the series as a whole. The SNES trilogy are the quintessential games in the series and you're better off starting with any of those. Play one or two of those games, and only then should you move on to VII.
>>
>>333714958

Fair point but Zelda has a lot more recuring elements than FF.

Final Fantasy has a few names, a few summons and I think that's about it.
>>
>>333715285
Take off your nostalgia goggles grandpa.
7 is by far the most impressive, interesting story, good characters, good battle system, lots of side quests and mini games and some very memorable moments.
>>
>>333715285
>The SNES games are the quintessential games in the series

Except literally every PS1 game was better than them.

7>8=9>5>1>6>4>3>10>2>12
>>
File: 1460134370632.png (210 KB, 389x272) Image search: [Google]
1460134370632.png
210 KB, 389x272
>>333713749
I agree with VII being a starting point for a newcomer.
Call it overrated or overhyped, bit the game has a bit of everything of all previous amd new era FFs, it's a good middle ground to start, and it also will show you that FF is all about their characters and how they struggle to save the world.

Simple story with some deep stuff to analyze and discover, nice music, good battle visual, easy gameplay, nice difficulty, good characters and a mix of old and new. It's an excellent starting point, starting with the SNES games will only bore you up unless you're into super classic RPGs.
>>
>>333715436
>Fair point but Zelda has a lot more recuring elements than FF.

Which Final Fantasy am I describing?
>Cid makes or pilots an airship
>Biggs and Wedge bumble about
>Ifrit, Shiva, Titant, Bahamut etc etc
>Flan, Marlboro, Behemoth etc etc
>Chocobo, Moogle
>Powerful spells such as Holy and Meteor
>Germinas Boots
>>
>>333715704
>Call it overrated or overhyped
>This game is bad because people like it more than I think they should

Dumbest thing to say.
>>
VII and IV are train wrecks.

Ask "Story or gameplay?" Then recommend VI and V respectively, then go from there.
>>
>>333715285
It doesn't matter if it is the best. VII is just the most well rounded and a better starting point
>>
File: Delita.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Delita.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>333715868
If someone wants gameplay I recommend Tactics.

If they want story instead I recommend Tactics.
>>
>>333713749
No. Offer alternatives to ATB immediately. Fuck ATB.
>>
>>333714710
>final fantasy series
>not being all about story over gameplay
>>
>>333715714
Final Fantasy has a metric shitton of recurring elements but they don't tend to be the focal point of every game in the series. Unlike Zelda, FF games don't all have the same protagonist, antagonist, love interest, setting, etc.
>>
>>333715868
But V had better story and gameplay.

Everyone who hates VII but loves VI is a fucking hypocrite.

7 improved the battle system, brought the series into 3D and allowed multile character builds based on materia. While VI scrapped the class system, hardlocked people into roles, had the weakest MC in the series in terms of personallity next to Vaan (remember, Square even said in a news report that Lightning was the first female MC of FF.) and had a "stupid evil" Big Bad.
>>
>VII first
Okay. It's got an engaging introduction that builds scale gradually rather than throwing a world at you, and the materia system stands up to this day. Could be swapped with IV to show the pinnacle of 2D FFs before the transcendence to 3D, but that risks missing a hook.

>Dissidia after half a dozen other FFs
Pretty good idea, but there's merit in having it first as well. "Oh hey, I remember him" is no less valuable than "He's cool, what's the game like?", and the characterization and voicing of Dissidia can impress an image that holds through the source games.

>XI and XIV after most FFs
Financially sound. The monthly fees make entertainment ROI much lower than the other titles, and the entertainment you get is slave to other players' involvement.

>Story-mechanic split
Fine, though it throws out the value in 'story' FFs' mechanics. Sphere in X and X2 is something worth trying at least once.

>Zero after VIII
EEEEEH. Sure, it makes certain the teen drama plot isn't off-putting, but it could just as easily fit after Cerberus from being in the same genre. On that note, both of those could be tied into Dissidia. Maybe a separate tree for action FF titles, with cross-links to the main series.
>>
>>333715946
I'd argue that 4, 5, and 6 are all more well rounded and a better starting point. 7 is good but it's not as representative of the series as a whole as those three games are.
>>
>>333713749
no, play whatever ones you want to play
>>
>>333716541
I do agree with you on that 4,5 and 6 better represent FF as a series but disagree with it being more well rounded. 7 is easier than all of those yet has a deeper battle system. Story is also easy to grasp yet deep with a story to tell before the game even starts. It just feels like a better starting point to me for a newcomer
>>
>>333713749
what a stupid image

Start on the older FF remakes

I strongly suggest 1 and 2 on the GBA. Then 4 on SNES/GBA or PSP. Then 6 on the SNES/PSP/Mobile/STEAM.

If you liked these then you can go with the 3D titles or you can start directly with the PlayStation trilogy although I strongly suggest the classics.
>>
You're not going to be less of a "hardcore gamur" if you admit FFVII is a good game and/or it's a good entry point for newcomers. People latch too much to the FFVII hate just because they think VII is an overrated game.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.