[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING Steam's refund system is entirely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: steam[1].jpg (137 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
steam[1].jpg
137 KB, 1600x900
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING
Steam's refund system is entirely removed

Instead, every single game on their store library can now be downloaded FOR FREE by any non-restricted account (no current vac bans, no .
After playing the game for X hour(s) [1-3 most likely] (tracked even if you exit steam or mess with the time on your pc) the game shuts down and is unable to be started again
>>
Consider the following:
They put up a demo
you decide if you want to give them money or not
all indie devs subjectively hang themselves at the same time
>>
So basically everything becomes a demo until you buy it? I'd give it a shot.
>>
>>333712416
I can't remember the last time that a demo has actually changed my mind on whether or not I want a game.
>>
>>333712485
>all indie devs subjectively hang themselves at the same time
Sounds good to me
>>
>play for three hours
>copy save
>make new account
>paste save
>pick up where you left off
>rinse and repeat until game beaten

That would only work with online games where progress is saved server-side.
>>
get rid of the refund, and bring back flash sales and daily deals
i miss 50 dollar games going 80 off
>>
File: Hol up.png (72 KB, 265x253) Image search: [Google]
Hol up.png
72 KB, 265x253
>>333712773
>Make the timer track the time listed on your save file
Wow that was hard
>>
>>333712875
>every game uses it's own save file format
>many games don't even use steamworks
>editing a save file is hard
>>
>>333712773
you'd have to buy a game on each account. If you haven't, the account is severely limited, this would be just another one of the limits for obvious reasons
obviously they'd have prevention measures enabled to prevent people from abusing this system

maybe make the saves from the "free" hours non transferrable
>>
Won't be real because offering bandwidth to download 30gb gaymes for everyone for free is too much even for steam.
>>
>>333712485

Give this man a medal.
>>
>>333713175
but they already do it for free weekends & shit
>>
>>333712485
making a demo is extra work, thus the game will either cost more or be worse
demos are also often severly limited
>>
>>333713231
>you can download the game and have it free to play for JUST two days
>Free to download a full game and play it whenever you feel like it
when it comes to the former, you only have to deal with 1 game; with the latter, you have to deal with people downloading demos ALL the time
>>
I would probably play fewer games 2bh. This is because I would most likely start caring more about the time limit than actually enjoying the game itself.
>>
>>333714573
you only play free games?
>>
>>333714778
No: my Steam library's at a neat 300! I just prefer to enjoy my game on my terms, without the looming spectre of a hard time limit getting all up in my personal space.
>>
>>333714906
well the time limit is just to try out games you haven't purchased, after you buy it, it gets removed
>>
>>333712416

Honestly, name one way in which this is better than the current refund system. Essentially, users could download dozens of games and try them out whenever they get bored for two or three hours at a time. The infrastructure issues alone are staggering.

There's no logical financial reason for them to do this. The refund system makes sense and honestly, if you're already interested in a game, poses a minor inconvenience at best in the form of Valve holding your money for a day or two.

The current system is better than console players even get since usually once they've bought a game digitally or opened a physical copy, they're stuck with it. A good example of this sucking is DMC HD on PS3. They digital version has a ton of issues that the hardy copy doesn't, which no one would expect of a console game but there's no way to return the digital copy and get a physical copy if you discover this after the fact.
>>
>>333712572

this pretty much.
>>
>>333715052
Where in the OP does it say that?
>>
>>333716039

Not him, but I think it was sort of implicit that this was intended as a replacement for refunds so purchases would work normally.

It was worded badly and it's a stupid idea but I see what he's getting at.
>>
>>333712416
>no current vac bans
This is why you would be bad at Valve.

Some people have like 9-10 year old vac bans that arent even relevant anymore.
>>
>>333716039
you think if you bought the game the 3h limit would still be on there?
then what's th fucking point of buying it you twit

>>333716484
that's why I said current bans, bans that are applied to games put out right now
like csgo
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.