[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why this is so highly rated? It has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: shadow.jpg (256 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
shadow.jpg
256 KB, 1200x1200
Can someone explain to me why this is so highly rated? It has very nice atmopshere, weather and setting but the horse controls are absolutely awful and the camera during most of the fights are more of a challenge than the actual fight. 2, 5, 12 and 13 are the only decent colossis, the rest of the fights you spend more time hanging with one arm, unconscious and/or struggling with the camera.

Anyone wanna explain to me?
>>
Horse controls are shit, but it's unique, the fights are thoroughly enjoyable and there's an epic feel to it all.
>>
It's a game where each colossi were unique in their unique habitats, having different methods of defeating them. Often the player needs to utilize the environment to defeat the colossi, other times you would have to make assumptions from its size or find it's weaknesses from the colossi's movements or body. You also had to explore the forbidden lands with limited instructions, giving the player a proper adventure experience along with the beautiful atmosphere. Its different to games nowadays where you are given instructions for every single detail killing off the discovery element, where shadow of the colossus is just about you, your horse the girl and the 16 colossi.
>>
>>333711810
It is a "you had to be there" game. It was just original. Playing it now is just different because controls and graphics got better
>>
>>333711989

This. The colossus fights and the way they're spread out in the world are extremely enjoyable, and they lend themselvez very well to optimization and time attack modes in order to unlock the optional items, which is something I never take part in games. The first time you manage to launch yourself from the tip of the third colossus' sword and land on top of his head is amazing.

It's also probably the only game where I've been wary and scared of a goddamn tree.
>>
Culture of megalomania.
>>
>>333711810
>the horse controls are absolutely awful
Why? Because it's behave like horse and not motorcycle ?
>>
>>333711989
>>333712439
>>333712710
The game is definitely original and has an amazing unique atmosphere, the way it puts you into a vacant world with no spoonfeeding, but it doesn't help when most of the gameplay is pretty awful. I guess the last poster is right about controls. Being spoiled with horse controls from for example MGSV makes the horse in SOTC pretty hard to manage in comparison.

If the game would be re-released with redefined gameplay mechanics, I would really like it.
>>
I remember stumbling across a trailer on gametrailers.com when it was released and went straight to the store to buy it. I went in knowing nothing and absolutely loved it.

Not trying to act elitist or something but I would guess the game wouldn't be as mystical or mysterious if you had any idea how it played. I went into it with virtually zero knowledge and figured out the game without talking about it on forums etc. The first playthrough is always the best.
>>
My only complaint is that the hero is so easily batted around while clinging to a colossi. I understand it's supposed to make you feel weaker and clumsy. I shouldn't feel stun locked if the colossi so much as twitches
>>
fuck that sea snake goddam I hate traversing water in games
>>
>>333713497
Water and flying is the best combination. Avion (colossi 5) is easily the best boss.
>>
>>333713679
I think my favorite was the flying sand snake, the one whose air sacks you had to pop before running agro alongside it to jump on it
>>
>>333713497
Imo that boss was just fine, you had plenty of time to recover stamina and the only time I fell into the water was when it dove in.
The only cheap colossi I can think of is the first lion sized one. Fuck getting stun locked by that shit
>>
>>333713828
That one was pretty great too. Very unique and cool.
>>
>>333713374
>I shouldn't feel stun locked if the colossi so much as twitches

You're right, you should be instantly thrown the fuck off
>>
when are you unconscious?
>>
>>333714058
One example I can think of is when you fight the smaller colossi who is afraid of fire. You scare him with fire on a stick, it falls down, its armor breaks and when if you jump down and misses its back you are pretty much fucked unless you're lucky. It stunlocks you, you fall unconsicous, and when you wake up again it hits you and you fall unconsicous without any time to move.
>>
It's a boring open world game with nothing in it.
>>
For the same reason as Ico and Journey OP.

"Muh Art"

It's a mediocre at best game with semi interesting artstyles and premises that artfags use to try to justify gaming as art.
>>
>>333711810
>>333714238
The faster you press x when you're unconscious the faster you wake up, casuals. You're also supposed to roll instantly when you wake up to dodge them.
>>
I enjoy it because the developer managed to marry their story to actual gameplay. The mechanics are a thematic device that lets you play the central theme of clinging to hope and moving forward.
>>
The horse is deliberately hard to control because you are wrestling with a large beast with a mind of its own. If you try and leap off an obviously dangerous cliff it will refuse because it's meant to be a living creature, not because the game itself is stopping you.

This isn't just an excuse either, it was deliberate to make Agro have more character.
>>
Because faggots think minimalism = artistic genius.

I did like it though, solid game, pretty fun except for the tiny faggot bosses where you have to jump on their back through leading them around the environment.
>>
>>333716961
Somehow I doubt the story was a major concern for the devs.

>hey man if you bring your gf back bad things might happen to you
>who cares lol

Totally did not see that twist coming.
>>
File: retard.jpg (16 KB, 250x280) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
16 KB, 250x280
>>333711810

>It has very nice atmosphere, weather and setting

This, plus it's a whole game consisting of exploration and massive boss fights. It was the first game of it's kind and, when it was released, was incredibly unique and memorable. Going back and playing it as a millennial 11 years after it released and criticising it is fucking retarded.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.