[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is MGS4 so disliked?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: cqc hug.jpg (29 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
cqc hug.jpg
29 KB, 600x324
Why is MGS4 so disliked?
>>
Because it's a movie
>>
No one played it. They just watched it on youtube.
>>
Too many cutscenes, retarded twists, full retard ending.
>>
>>333711747
Because the story went pants on head retarded, it was dumb before but it jumped the shark at 4, the cutscene to gameplay ratio may be balanced compared to previous games, but you get more consequential cutscenes, you can literally go, buy groceries, come back, take a shower, make breakfast, do the laundry, come back and that shit will still be on
>>
Because Ocelot's plan was for Snake to survive yet he tries to kill him 100 times, even Raiden has to step in and save his ass

The game jumps the shark a lot, it has no fucking replay value because it's a movie and the only thing worth a damn is the ending
>>
File: 1449086002506.jpg (330 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1449086002506.jpg
330 KB, 960x1280
the ending was so fucking retarded it killed my interest in the series forever
>>
>tfw MGS4 came out 10 years after the original
>tfw it's already been 8 years since mgs4 came out
>>
File: grapes.gif (10 KB, 640x918) Image search: [Google]
grapes.gif
10 KB, 640x918
It was only on the ps3 and most people didn't own one especially in the early years. It's a good game people just hate it because they couldn't play it.
>>
because like 20% of it resembles what can an MGS game.
>>
>>333712256
I bought it at launch like previous titles and you're full of shit
>>
>Nanomachines
>Snake's moustache
>Goofy hand robots
>>
>>333712147
post more of this thicc bitch
>>
>>333712256
that is a retarded post. the main reason it got so much hype and praise was because it was going to "save" the ps3. finally a good PS3 exclusive that makes this system worth owning over the 3shitty xD!
>>
>>333712256
You are kidding right? This is the MGS you interact with the least
>>
>>333712204
>8 years
fuck me

im sure loads of people liked it, anyone who liked the storyfrom past games atleast. Its just /v/ being fuck boys because they are sucking autisms snakes cock and wanking over quiet.
>>
Story went full retard. The improved shooting mechanics unbalanced the game and made boss fights dull. Only the first act and a half actually had much proper sneaking gameplay.
>>
Even ignoring the cutscenes (the absolute worst element of the game), the game is still subpar.

>Act 1 is heavily scripted and restrictive stealth gameplay
>Act 2 is a subpar MGS3 clone, yet sadly the best stealth in the game
>Act 3 is a trail mission, an action setpiece, and then a boss, with no normal stealth gameplay at all
>Act 4 is swarming with dwarf geckos making the stealth tedious and unfun
>Act 5 is just shooting and boss battles

There was only rushin in, and no going sneaky beaky like.
>>
>that cutscene in act 3 that is literally 90 minutes or longer
>>
>>333711747
Liquid Shit and Meryl
B'n'B were boring
You only find out their backgrounds once you beat them and Dresdin calls you
Unnecessarily long cutscenes
Naomi's magic computer virus + cancer
The after credit cutscene was utterly pointless
>>
>>333712459
>anyone who liked the storyfrom past games atleast.
But the game shits all over the story from the previous games. The only people I've seen that rate MGS4's plot are the ones that just like it for how wacky and outlandish it is and don't care for any of the characters of history of the series.
>>
>>333711747
Because it's not a Big Boss wankfest.

I greatly enjoyed it myself. Fuck BB and his jank ass games. Yes 3 is included in that statement.
>>
>>333712589
Its not 1, its a few right after one another+ the fucking briefing on the plane.

But yeah, its really up their. Has very small snippets of gameplay.
>>
>game felt way too linear compared to previous installments, even Snake Eater which is honestly just one long corridor, managed to feel more open-world due to SE's great level design
>stupid ammo and gun system where you could buy guns
>old snake mechanics like running out of breath was funny the first time it happened, but they get overused pretty quickly
>the bosses were fucking horrible, barely given an introduction, were just copypastas of previous bosses in the series, and then at the end Drebin calls you up and tells you how that beauty was raped by a wolves or something
>pretty much getting rid of any fantasy elements with "nanomachines"
>two hours of cutscenes for every 20 minutes of gameplay

and pretty much everything what >>333712531 said

fucking act 3 where you put on a young snake's mask and trench coat and walk around. Literally nothing happened that chapter, then big mama / eva shows up, gives you two hours of exposition, dies, and revolver ocelot does his dance.
>>
Everyone complains about the cutscenes and shit but MGS 5 suffered from a severe lack of crazy cutscenes and long convoluted dialogue which imo is a big part of what makes the series what it is.

The cutscenes in 4 definitely too much though. I liked the balance that MGS2 had between the dialogue and cutscenes and all that. It was sort of nice to get a little 10 minute break to listen to someone describe some crazy conspiracy shit over the codec after finishing a section.
>>
>>333712263
>because like 20% of it resembles what can an MGS game.
Better than the 0% PW and PP had going for them.
>>
MGS2 has one of the best stories in any game ever. Even today you can still see parallels between the paranoia present about the advent of the internet and the effect it will have on society.

Personally I was disappointed by MGS3 and 4 in this regard. MGS3 may as well have been a james bond game and 4 was over the top nuts.
>>
>>333712256
Basically this.
>>
File: Snakemore.jpg (173 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Snakemore.jpg
173 KB, 1600x900
>>333712000
>Because the story went pants on head retarded
>>333712516
>Story went full retard.
since when is this a bad thing

it's so much better than the bland ass predictable stories other games provide

plus it gave us mount fucking snakemore man just try and name another game with the gall and sass to throw in something so ridiculously dumb and over the top in such a serious moment
>>
>>333712686
>Because it's not a Big Boss wankfest.

>Literally compares Big Boss to Jesus Christ himself and makes Snake Eater the entire reason everything ever in the series happened.
>Even has him show up at the end and high-jack the finale.

Yeah. Sure.
>>
>>333713142
>mgs2 story
>bland
>predictable
Care to explain?
>>
>>333712256
But now we all have 80$ bargain bin ps3s and we can tell its shit
>>
>>333713142
not in a good way, they butchered what was already established, shat on a lot of characters, development of stories and etc was awful at best, what happened to eva, big boss, zero, snake, otacon, etc, everything was fucking garbage, even hayter started his diva ways by going to complain behind's kojima's back straight to konami because of how shit the story and ending was
>>
Because it's sony exclusive.
>>
>>333713101
This was one of the most disappointing things about mgs4 for me. It was supposed to finally move forward in time from mgs2 and build on it but it just went off on some other shit.

mgs2 is the closest videogames have come to art.
>>
>>333713254
wut

when did i say mgs2 or any other mg game at all

talking bout other bland ass vidya games/series
>>
Playing and finishing MGSV made me appreciate MGS4, at least when you finished MGS4, it felt complete unlike MGSV, also a lot more love was but into MGS4 and there's a lot more technology
>>
>>333713456
Oh sorry I thought you meant the other games in the series
>>
Still better than MGS5.
>>
I liked the game but the level design was really shit.
>>
>>333713553
And when MGS6 comes out you're going to hate that one and say 5 was good.

Just like gta4 and 5 :)
>>
>>333713589
but 4 was shit, 5 may be bland but it is rich and colorful in some ways, 4 has better on foot mechanics and AI though
>>
>>333713589
>muh Zelda cycle
Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes were released in between.
>>
>>333713589
You can't really blame people for doing this when developers make sequels that take out just as much or more than they add to the series with the next installment.
>>
>>333713704
Meh I still haven't played any MG but I'm getting legacy collection and I bet I'll like 4 because I dont listen to /v/ee spergs
>>333713717
>a portable title and a demo

dont count
>>333713786
Doesn't apply to GTA yet people still do it (and yes they took some things out, but added others, has been the same since gta3, but spergs wont admit it)
>>
>>333713913
I was talking about GTA, 4 is by no means all that horrid but it is the weakest entry in the numbered series
>>
>>333713589
I just do not like what they did with open world. It feels bland and it did not add to the gameplay.
>>
>>333711747
>Why is MGS4 so disliked?
Because it reversed the X and O button functions.

>replay series
>get to mgs4
>fuck up because key buttons don't work like they used to
>>
>>333713913
>Doesn't apply to GTA yet people still do it (and yes they took some things out, but added others, has been the same since gta3, but spergs wont admit it)
I don't know what you're trying to say here, you say it doesn't apply but then you say that they did actually take things out. GTA 5 had worse euphoria physics and the driving mechanics were made easier. It's not the biggest deal in the world but it's enough for any reasonable person to see why someone could prefer GTA 4 to 5
>>
>>333713913
>a portable title
>which originally was going to be called MGS5
Nice try. Also MGSV is not MGS5. Source: Kojima.
>>
>>333714092
Its better than 3
>>333714116
fair enough
>>333714129
Yeah but its opinions. They toned down the physics and made driving better imho. Even further improvement with top speed/acceleration mods which couldn't be applied to gta4 because of the exaggerated physics throwing you off the map as soon as you broke the 80mph hard cap. And when GTA4 came out every one of you were crying because it was too realistic now you're saying 5 is bad because its not

And the attention to detail is better, yet people still act like they just removed removed removed but didn't add anything. Yeah, no side activities at all either just because they removed some boring shit from SA, even though 5 objectively has more and fun shit to do.

Unwarranted spergyness all around
>>
>>333714151
Except PW is still shit.

>mission based gameplay
>grinding grinding grinding
>base management???
>shit tier bosses
PP is PW 2.0 so it's only fitting that they're both Five.
>>
>>333714369
More like 5/10
>>
So is hollowing bad in this?

From what I've read maxing out your hollowing gives you 5 free levels. But what's the downside?
>>
>>333714369
>PP is PW 2.0
You wish. They took all the fun away.

>grinding grinding grinding
I still can't understand this argument. Never had to grind anything. It's just there's quite a lot of vehicles missions.
>mission based gameplay
>base management???
Both fit the portable game and increase replayability possibilites.
>>
>>333714369
>PW
>Shit

MGS2 = Peace Walker > MGS1 > MGS5 > MGS3 > MGS4
>>
File: 1454434276963.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1454434276963.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>not liking all the games and replaying them regularly
>going on an anime forum to complain about one entry or another with fans of the series

plens, all of you
>>
Ps3 exclusive
Its my favorite
>>
The single greatest moment of my gaming career is the return to Shadow Moses in Metal Gear Solid 4 when The Best is Yet to Come starts playing.
Well played, Kojima. I will never forget that moment
>>
>>333715937
>Going to an empty barren lifeless Shadow Moses and just hearing a bunch of audio clips was better than actually experiencing Shadow Moses for real during MGS1

wat
>>
>>333716176
Yeah but the first time I was a dumb child. The return had atmosphere + music + nostalgia, which was the main contributor to the feel. brb listening to Best is Yet to Come
>>
not for PC
>>
>>333715937
>there are people who shit on MGS4 solely because of the return to Shadow Moses
I liked that part too
>>
>>333711747
Because of it being 75% cutscene, 25% game. Wouldn't be so bad but the story is shit, the ending really fucks it all up even more.
>>
>>333712000
Every MGS story is pants on head retarded. MGS2 was a simulation to get data for a societal control program because a commando infiltrating a terrorist held oil rig has vital information about controlling society.
>>
>>333711747
because it's a sony exclusive and /v/ hates sony
>>
>>333718343
>because a commando infiltrating a terrorist held oil rig has vital information about controlling society.
Purely through information manipulation they designed and scripted an entire scenario filled with unaware or unwilling actors. If that's not valuable test data I don't know what is.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.