[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>everyone talks about how FF13 was the Lightning show It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 17
>everyone talks about how FF13 was the Lightning show

It's a pretty easy way to see the fuckers that didn't play through the game, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1Wxq4VfkM
>>
Are all JRPGs this badly written? This is on of the level of those awful animated childrens shows.
>>
>>333705926
It was though.
>you don't even play as her all the time
Everything falls on lightning or is about lightning
>shes the protagonist, she should be the center of attention
The crystal crew should be the protagonists but every bit of exposition falls right back on how the ultimate waifu is the answer to the world's woes.
>>
>>333706012
Most, yes.

They all really shit the bed in the 7th gen though.
>>
>>333706042
>every bit of exposition falls right back on how the ultimate waifu is the answer to the world's woes

Only in the sequels, sadly. XIII-2 would've been a much better game if they would've cut out all that lightning crap and took a step back from the forced melodrama especially in the first ~5 hours.

Ended up being pretty good though. Caius, Noel and Yeul were good characters with relatable motivations. Lightning was just unnecessary shit.
>>
>>333706012
All games are poorly written. Don't kid yourself faggot.
>>
>>333706012
Yeah dude. it's fucking embarassing, and the gameplay in most of them are fucking dogshit too.
At least SMT doesn't shit up too bad but I lost all faith with ff13 and ff14: it's still shit just less shit reborn
>>
File: fang oerba.jpg (109 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
fang oerba.jpg
109 KB, 1191x670
>tfw your waifu will never get out of the shadow of Lightning and Vanille
>>
File: ok.jpg (129 KB, 1355x1165) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
129 KB, 1355x1165
>>333706012
No. 13 is just exceptionally bad when you combine it with the nonexistent gameplay, corridors and horrible pacing. The story isn't the worst the genre has to offer trust me. Its the whole package that makes it look so bad.
>>
File: Fangu.gif (2 MB, 245x280) Image search: [Google]
Fangu.gif
2 MB, 245x280
>>333706671
Fang's perfect skin. Unghhhjhh
>>
>>333706012
The fuck is wrong with it? You fucks wouldn't know good dialogue anyway.
>>
The game was worth it for the first 9 chapters' vignettes. Everyone bitched, bitched, bitched about how the battle system didn't open up until Pulse (forget that every FF takes forever to give you all the spells, summons, and in the case of FFT, jobs), how the game was hallways until Pulse (except that they were gorgeous hallways, and besides, they were just like FFX's). Okay, fine, those are gameplay issues. But the story up until that point? Bullet proof. It still mystifies me that people were so put off by Hope in particular, who reacted as just about most 14 year olds would to losing his mother and being pressed into service as a magical terrorist, especially when you're physically small/slight of frame. It still mystifies me that people didn't realize that Snow was supposed to be a callback to Seifer. It still mystifies me that everyone glosses over Sazh/Vanille's arc, which was easily the most down-to-earth and affecting.

And the run-up to the Barthandelus reveal and fight was exciting as hell. The only thing I wish is that they hadn't cut the Jihl fight.
>>
>>333706792
>horrible pacing
Bruh, 13 had the most even pacing in the entire series.
>>
>>333706012
not all of them, but FF13 is a shitshow, todeep4u
>>
>>333707079
I don't know why the story is so hated? It's a "enemy of the state" and "big brother" with a little magical twist. The characters are tropes designed to play into what would be a party dynamic of different individuals.
>>
>>333707095
I didn't see it. Took too long to introduce certain elements, 60-70% of the story was them running for their dear lives which got stale after 30hours, transitioning to another area was like going to another world which was off putting after awhile, 10 had that too but not too much in the same degree as 13, some stuff were consistent there at least.
>>
>>333706940
her messy hair is pure sex
nice tumblr tier gif btw
>>
File: Fanguuu!.png (515 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
Fanguuu!.png
515 KB, 500x600
>>333707617
I had a hard time finding Fang stuff, had to use Google images.
>>
>>333707079
The story is fucking Bulletproof? Id be fucking bulletproof too if I was so full of awful pedantic and overblown writing. Characters repeat themselves so fucking often its a wonder no one killed themselves while playing it.

And i dont mean repeat like in the field or during gameplay I mean in ultiple cutscenes characters repeat the same fucking thing they have been saying as if we havent been playing the fucking game for 20 hours.

>We need to find our focus.

What no fucking shit that was 30 hours ago why the fuck do you keep saying it to each like you dont all fucking know.

Whats worse is the overblown choreography and terrible tone deaf design

>shiva is two girls 69'ing that just so happens to turn into a motorcycle.
Awesome but why is it in a game that is so fucking miserable, why is something that silly and fun in a game where the goal is to prevent yourself from turning into a fucking zombie and trying to turn into a crystal. Phantom Pain had the same problem, one moment I am tricking the guard with an anime pin up, the next I am watching a fucking attempted rape scene. Its called tone make up your fucking mind.
>>
>>333707926
Jesus, you sound angry.
>What is a gag
>>
File: 1455531703225.jpg (60 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1455531703225.jpg
60 KB, 720x720
Why are we having so many Lightning/FFXIII threads lately...
>>
>>333707989
>its really fucking good I wish they didnt cut stuff
>what? Its a load of shit!
>its just a prank bro, lolumad

>>
>>333706671
Game should have been about Fang trying to fuck the other girls desu
>>
File: tumblr_n566b6HeLy1rsska0o1_250.gif (979 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n566b6HeLy1rsska0o1_250.gif
979 KB, 245x300
>>333707717
She's so fucking hot. So many of the girls in the FFXIII trilogy are just kalsdflkjasdlkfjaslkdf
>>
>>333708146
The anger came outta nowhere. The designs of the summons were ridiculous, but not so much when the gods you are fighting are biomechanical beings. In a sci fi world. If you were being chased by the government and we're ticking time bombs, you'd wanna keep your priorities straight. The choreography? Action movies are over the top all the time. This game is almost a movie.
>>
>>333708382
????
>>
>>333707492
The bad guys needed them to become strong enough to summon their eidolon. That was the whole point of them running away.
>>
>>333708032
Contrary to popular beliefs, it is the most discussable final fantasy.
>>
>>333708883
So much hate for it. Hate makes good discussion fuel.
>>
>>333708959
Also because it is the deepest game in the series.
>>
>>333708435

I have no problem with the designs themselves, I think the art in the game is fantastic. Its how tone deaf it is with the story and how poorly the characters fit into that story and world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjGXyp3wyt8&nohtml5=False

Here is a scene that makes no fucking sense.

>So my sister will be okay?
>yes, sorry
>slap
.....wat
>I feel better now that I apologized
>you apologized so youd feel better?
Um, yes? Its called a conscience? What are you retarded?
>how about you? Feel any better after hitting me?
>(Frustrated noise.) No, it didnt change anything.

!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>>
>>333709720
Could've been deep with the concept but ended up being a very superficial and hamfisted experience. Character development was probably the worst I've seen in this franchise yet.
>>
>>333709804
I love Fangs reaction, why couldn't we get a game about her instead...
>>
>>333707079
>people were so put off by Hope in particular, who reacted as just about most 14 year olds would to losing his mother and being pressed into service as a magical terrorist, especially when you're physically small/slight of frame
Of all the criticisms I've seen of 13 this is the one I can't even begin to understand. It's like they didn't even think about what was going on and just wanted to complain about something because that's what everyone else was doing.
>>
>>333709804
It's a scene that means, although Lightning says she forgives, it isn't really what she feels. That notice how she's always blaming everything on everyone for awhile and hated everyone. She later learns how she can't do it all alone and that there are no heroes, just people. And that Lightning lashing out at everyone doesn't solve anything, but rather exacerbates it.
>>
>>333709963
How was it superficial? Each character is realistically flawed and goes through realistic changes.
>>
>>333710149
Hope learns that he was wrong later and becomes a voice of reason in the group right?
>>
File: 20542530287.jpg (496 KB, 630x980) Image search: [Google]
20542530287.jpg
496 KB, 630x980
>>
>>333710269
Except Snow, it took him 2 games and over 1000 years to shake off his stupidity.
>>
>>333709804
Bruh, this is why this game is too deep for plebs. The characters are so subtle that you have to dig deep. The apology is as much for Fang as it is for Lightning. It lets Fang relieve some of the guilt she feels in what happened to Serah, but Lightning is still angry because it doesn't relieve her if her own guilt.
>>
>>333710431
This sounds like bait, but I hope it isn't.
>>
>>333710509
What's "bait" about it? The game is super japanesey in its storytelling in that a lot of things are not outright stated but implied.
>>
>>333710269
Because all the characters take their one single flaw and ride it into the dirt through endless repetition until they "overcome" it in a poorly directed and hasted scene.

Examples would be Lightning when she invades this l'Cie (?) base, fights through the endless corridors and then at some random point in time just throws her false beliefs overboard because of a small remark from Hope and her seeing how the stuff to survive is produced by the l'Cie. Can't remember the exact topic but it struck me as pretty ridiculous and hamfisted instead of carefully developed.

Another example would be Snow dealing with his supposed guilt and that the director decided the best way to convey this was to constantly zoom at his toothbrush smile and poor acting. I know that's what it was supposed to be and all but the game is trying to tell you that he is this master-actor while it just looks cringey and then he breaks down the instant someone is scrapping his surface a little.
Honestly, the only character that had really believable development was Sahz and even the scene where this military girl constraints his son felt more like a b-movie.
>>
>>333710635
The first line of your text. I dunno, maybe I've spent too much time and energy being wary of bait.
>>
>>333710782
Oh and as addition: I think the concept was alright, pretty good at some points. But the execution was just fucking terrible like the director had no talent at all.
>>
>>333706671
The only reason to play this shitty game is this semen demon.
>>
>>333710782
>>333710862
To me, some characters like Sazh and Vanille go through huge character development during the sunleth waterscape and the theme park place. Sazh realizes that the woman he is travelling with and the vengeance in his heart are linked. The loss of his son deeply affected him and Vanille's guilt. And realizing that taking the life of Vanille or himself was not the right solution iirc. Snow and Hope get development when they travel together. Hope is encouraged by Light in that whatever action he takes is the right one cause he wants to grow up and be stronger. He also had his first bout of development with Light when fighting Odin, in that he now knows along with light that he's stronger. Hope ultimately finds out he's wrong for hating Snow after nearly intentionally murdering Snow.
>>
>>333710782
Wrong. Snow was already shaken immediately after the death of Hope's mom. You don't think he ever shows remorse because you can't understand the subtleties, but Snow is a man constantly trying to overcome his deeds.
>>
>>333711294
Sazh is great and probably the best and easily mu favorite character in the game. I teared up a little when he finally got to his son at the end.

I probably should give the other games in the 13 trilogy a try.
>>
>>333710635
ARe you fucking high. Japanese story telling is all about exposition Jesus fucking christ have you ever seen a single fucking anime in your entire fucking existence?
>>
>>333711415
>can't understand subtleties

Dawg that doesn't change that his supposed breakdown was pretty shit. And there are no subtleties, all this shit is thoroughly explained in the cringy data logs that are supposed to sound dramatic but just end up being cringeworthy.

Writing and directing is shit, that's really all there is to it and that's the reason it's hated so much. Some people like you enjoy it, fine with me. But making this game seem so incredibly deep and underappreciated because people are too dumb to understand it is just an apologists catchphrase.
>>
>>333712715
>he gets all his Japanese stories from animes
Wew lad. I'm sure you know so much about Japanese movies considering you watch anime, right?
>>
>>333712527
As a lightning fag, think twice about it. It's not for everyone. And hardly for anyone.
>>
>>333712860
Localization?
>>
>>333712921
>bullshit

Im sorry this is fucking /v/ or did you get lost. What is the most japanese thing the majority of people on this site have seen fucking anime.

Now you may have torrented some japanese fucking movies and watched them and jerked yourself off whilst your glorious nippon films play but most people on this site have watched anime.

but its cool because youll just make another condescending quote with no substance amirite?
>>
>>333713218
Not him, but how is that an argument? I don't get the point.
>>
>>333713218
Bruh, if you think Japanese anime is an indication of Japanese films, you're beyond mental. It's like saying all American films must be like spongebob.
>>
File: 1320195869032s.jpg (2 KB, 126x92) Image search: [Google]
1320195869032s.jpg
2 KB, 126x92
>>333712947
Even though I enjoy some of the story aspects its more about the gameplay if 2 and 3 give me more of that combat i'll consider it.

Also I have a way I could get the trilogy with no financial investment at all.
>>
>>333712860
How would you know if you couldn't understand it? The reason why Sazh is often cited as the most popular character is because his character growth is shoved in your face. There's no subtlety at all. He's proof that people prefer stereotypes and cliches over quality characters.
>>
>>333713872
>Sazh
>cliche and stereotype
>other characters
>quality

Not that anon you replied to but nigga did we play the same game?
>>
>>333713823
Lol. Okay, you are a weird one. But 13-2 tweaked 13 combat a bit with programmable teammates ai. And a pet system. LR has a revamped combat system that focuses on extreme customizability and flexibility. The game is now more action based. With need for block timing and other timing.
>>
>>333714023
>Sazh
>token black guy
>the comic relief
>muh son
>>
>>333713872
Thing is, I did understand it. Sorry that a game that I've played a couple years ago isn't as fresh in my memory as yours. Thing is, his development, as I said above already, was hamfisted in there with forcefully showing his fake grin all the time instead of actually developing his character or mind through multiple layers.

Hell this doesn't even begin to compare to something like Clouds identity breakdown in 7 for example. I call it bad because it's bad. The franchise has shown how to do it right and good and XIII just didn't. You writing that these are quality characters is just bait.
>>
>>333713772
Didnt say that all I am implying that the majority of people on this board are more familiar with anime rather than japanese films. I just didnt think I would have to actually type it all out so clearly so that people could understand.

>but how is that an argument? I don't get the point.

My argument was that most japanese stories I have seen were told with expositio, and pointed to anime as an example. Someone countered with a strawman saying that Japanese movies arent that way than I ranted about how most people on /v/ have seen infinitely more anime than japanese films. Apparently that was a really hard thing to understand/
>>
Serah is the star of the show

13-2 could be put in the top 5 over all best ff games.
>>
>>333714340
So the argument that you presented about most people on /v/ watching mostly anime is the explanation for why Japanese storytelling is done through exposition. And that they are not mostly told through subtleties?
>>
File: Sarah's boobs in the rain.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Sarah's boobs in the rain.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>333714470
Notice the trickling of droplets. That's good attention to detail.
>>
File: 89347589.jpg (235 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
89347589.jpg
235 KB, 800x600
>>333714470
Dis is baito

>>333714894
That top makes her rack look huge.
>>
File: lightning returns.png (1 MB, 776x1744) Image search: [Google]
lightning returns.png
1 MB, 776x1744
Lightning is perfection!!
>>
>>333714203
Except it did
>immediately after with Gadot
>why he decided to come back for Hope and Vanille
>why he left the team
It was all a subtle breakdown of his hero persona, anon. How did you not get that.
>>
>>333714470
No
>>
>>333705926
alpha lesbian was pretty good I agree, but she is not Sazh
>>
File: bueno.jpg (47 KB, 546x366) Image search: [Google]
bueno.jpg
47 KB, 546x366
>>333708382
but shit you remember that part where Light smacks Fang in the face and Fang makes fun of her for not hitting her hard enough. Great game.
>>
File: 1459697616279.jpg (499 KB, 850x1352) Image search: [Google]
1459697616279.jpg
499 KB, 850x1352
>>333715025
Here here!
>>
>>333715060
I already said it has been several years since I played it. If you want me to know what you mean give me a description of what you're talking about instead of just "yeah, but xyz!"
>>
>>333714189
>comic relief

He was more of the serious and logical party member if anything. He always had a sarcastic comment for when the team was going to do something crazy but know because of what happened he had no choice.

I'm not saying these characters are perfect but compared to the rest of the game he was tolerable.
>>
>>333716065
And I say it's a sad state when the guy with the least subtle character is the tolerable one.
>>333715902
During the battle, Snow rushed headlong into danger, because "heroes never die," this he was unafraid. But after the death of Hope's mom, Gadot points a gun at him and he is scared. Gadot then remarks that heroes never die, so why is he scared, whereupon he immediately reverts back to his hero persona. It's a little thing, but it shows how shaken he is where he no longer considers himself a hero. That's just one of the subtle things about the game that makes it great.
>>
File: 1434271427523.jpg (21 KB, 367x367) Image search: [Google]
1434271427523.jpg
21 KB, 367x367
>Gran Pulse
>full of monsters
>People caught in the Purge were to be deported to Pulse
>it's under Cocoon
>Fang and Vanille have Australian accents
>one of the weapons found by Vanille on the Pulse Vestige is a boomerang which she gives to Hope

>Australia
>full of monsters
>made from deported criminals
>land down under
>australian accents
>boomerangs

IT'S LIKE POTTERY
>>
>>333716752
Looks like you are just a fan of subtlety than anything. Having a clear cut character is not something bad. Some people wear their motives and emotions on their sleeves some like you say pull a front to hide deeper seated problems within. Both can work in story telling. Especially in the hallway simulator that is FF13.
>>
>>333716752
Oh that, gave me more the impression that Hope just has the mind of a 12 year old. His whole Hero agenda did desu, couldn't get warm with his character.
>>
>>333716863
Also, didgeridoos
>>
File: 1365786766239.gif (681 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1365786766239.gif
681 KB, 800x800
>>333705926
Even Fang's voice is sexy.
>>
>>333715576
Fang also made Lightning show her her tits.
>>
File: fang.jpg (75 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
fang.jpg
75 KB, 640x960
>>333707717
most underrated FF girl
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.