[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did we focus so hard on FPS in gaming to be the main focus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: vkz7t5mur1ay0z3f20nq.gif (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vkz7t5mur1ay0z3f20nq.gif
121 KB, 1280x720
When did we focus so hard on FPS in gaming to be the main focus of the game instead of whether the game was enjoyable or not?

Was it when we reached a stop in how to improve graphics?

I don't think people were crying about FPS 10-15 years ago.
>>
>>333702096

most games on the PS2 era was running in 60FPS. We also have moved on to LCD screen which have a bigger latency than cathode ray.
>>
>>333702096
FPS has always been a focus in games because it directly attributes to how the game plays and controls. While it may not have been the defining term used in arguments back then but the existing complaints that a game played bad or gave the player a poor response when handling the controls were likely a result of a game with bad fps.
>>
Totalbisquick ruined gaming
>>
>>333702096
FPS and good gameplay go hand in hand. Even NES games were 50/60, in a scrolling game like mario it makes a big difference, and in old shcool shooters like quake it's absolutely crucial.

It's only recently in the two latest generations that the graphics whores on console have started demanding better graphics instead of gameplay. To compensate most console games are now casual "cinematic" slow paced games like TLOU where 30vs60 doesn't matter as much because the gameplay takes second seat

The people who mainly cared about "whether the game was enjoyable or not moved" to PC
>>
When games stopped being 60FPS as a standard on console
>>
>>333702551
>most games on the PS2 era was running in 60FPS
This is straight up bullshit and shows how underage you are
>>
>>333702096

15y ago, anything below 60fps was considered slow and shit.
>>
>>333702096
>When did we focus so hard on FPS in gaming to be the main focus of the game instead of whether the game was enjoyable or not?
Because FPS determines how responsive the game feels, which in games relying on immediate control, such as action games, platformers, shooters, flight sims, driving games and basically all games relying on kinesthetics plays an absolutely KEY FUCKING ROLE in whenever the thing is enjoyable.

>I don't think people were crying about FPS 10-15 years ago.
They did not have to. Not in PC environment at least. FPS caping was a thing basically unheard off on PC, and your framerate was generally dictated by how good your rig was. It was part of general performance questions. FPS really became a concern only when Consoles grew like the fucking cancer they are and their shitty standards started to seep into PC environment, when suddenly PC market was flooded with bad console ports.
>>
When I was 10 I was too stupid to understand. Now that I'm not retarded, I notice.
>>
>>333703606
>The people who mainly cared about "whether the game was enjoyable or not moved" to PC

It's possible you are right but here it's rare to see any image posted that doesn't have a framerate counter attached to it.
>>
File: 1443742662599.gif (498 KB, 346x367) Image search: [Google]
1443742662599.gif
498 KB, 346x367
because actually I can live with 30fps but ps4/xbone don't even get that

and then you have the wii u that shits out consistent 60fps in bayo and w101
>>
Haha at these underage people who thought high FPS used to be common.

Many SNES games had rampant slowdown. Others only ran at 30fps maximum. There's actually a thread on /vr/ uncovering the 4th gen games that were only 30fps.

In 5th gen everything except 2D games were like 20 to 30 fps AT MOST. Even on PC, before Voodoo came out you could forget playing any 3D game at 60fps. In 1998 you needed a fucking Voodoo 2 SLI system backed up by a top P2 CPU to run Unreal at 60fps, and that would be in 800x600.
>>
>>333704201
>framerate counter
And what the fuck do you think that's used for? Masturbating to high numbers?
If the game starts feeling sluggish or laggy you take a quick look at it to see if frame rate is the problem, if it is you turn down graphics settings until you have smooth responsive gameplay again
>>
>>333702096
sorta wished someone made a one up to 144fps
>>
>>333704636
http://www.testufo.com/
>>
>>333704539
>Voodoo 2 SLI
>SLI
and you're calling people underage
>high FPS used to be common
I guess you're not old enough to have been in an acrade
>Others only ran at 30fps maximum.
slow paced games, 30, fast paced games, 60.
>>
>>333702096
>multiples of 12.5
>not multiples of 15

why

nobody has a 12.5 Hz monitor
nobody has a 25 Hz monitor
nobody has a 50 Hz montor

none of them look smooth on anyone's screen
>>
>>333704539
>In 1998 you needed a fucking Voodoo 2 SLI system backed up by a top P2 CPU to run Unreal at 60fps
Yeah, and it took some crazy shit to run Crysis 60fps too, doesn't mean that 60fps wasn't much more obtainable on other games at the time though.
>>
File: straw.jpg (150 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
straw.jpg
150 KB, 333x500
>>333702096

It's not "the main focus" of anything. It gets discussed because people are allowed to discuss things which are not the main thing.

It seems like you're just trying to dismiss all the complaints about frame rate by accusing the complainers of caring about nothing else, when in fact this is not the case. Oh, I think there's a term for this. It starts with straw.
>>
>>333704860
Hahaha are you actually trying to dispute the existence of Voodoo 2 SLI
>>
>>333705247
Alright, my bad. I forgot they were acquired by nvidia.
You desperately avoided the actual points in the post though
>>
>>333705542
Because they were pointless to reply to. No shit a $50 000 Sega Model 3 arcade machine can run at 60fps. The fast/slow game dichotomy isn't consistent either: people now bitch if any modern game isn't 60fps no matter how fast paced it is.
>>
>>333702096
can't beat the cinematic feel of the 25fps
>>
http://youtu.be/NE9nONBpdc0

30fps hurts my eyes
>>
>>333702096
Oldfag here
Yes we bloody well were, all the way back to 1998. It's how NVidia managed to flog so many damn GeForces on us.
>>
>>333702096
Since this gen started.
>>
>>333702096
>That noticable jump in 50fps that occurs 10 times a second
Welp, at least I know vSync works.
>>
>>333702096
Are you 10-15 years old yourself? You know nothing my child.
>>
I'd take a buttery smooth game over a good looking one any day of the week.
Slideshows make immersion more difficult.
>>
>>333702096
Because a game with low framerate is not enjoyable at all, and because delivering consistent framerates on consoles didn't seem to be a problem in the past.
>>
File: JsuTVBL.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2444) Image search: [Google]
JsuTVBL.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2444
>>333702096
welcome to 1998
where 65-85hz CRTs were king
where 100+fps was the goal
where T&L changed everything

crawl back into your mothers vagina you fetus. you are not ready
>>
>>333703918
Doom runs at 35fps
Diablo 2 runs at 25fps

Diablo 2 and Doom have both been described as "fast".
>>
a low fps didn't prevent this from being one of the best games of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcP4Q8Yp0FY
>>
People playing on PC were, actually. And those on console didn't have to worry about FPS because devs back then were actually able to maintain 30 (or more sometimes) FPS, as opposed to modern games where it often fluctuates from 20 to 30.
>>
File: image55.gif (17 KB, 191x340) Image search: [Google]
image55.gif
17 KB, 191x340
>>333706551
>1998
>>
>>333704539
>Many SNES games had rampant slowdown. Others only ran at 30fps maximum. There's actually a thread on /vr/ uncovering the 4th gen games that were only 30fps.

And televisions ran at 30 fps

>NTSC is the video system or standard used in North America and most of South America. In NTSC, 30 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 525 individual scan lines. PAL is the predominant video system or standard mostly used overseas.
>>
FPS was pretty shit in the past, but with current technology there's little excuse for now at least managing 60fps. Despite that we get games that focus entirely on graphical fidelity but run like shit, marring both the gameplay and how we may appreciate the work that went into the graphics. It's especially infuriating to hear actual statements such as lower frame rates being "cinematic" or that people would rather focus on graphics over it running better.

If anything the focus on FPS directly relates to whether a game is enjoyable. I don't know about other people, but it's hard to play a game when it chugs at sometimes 20fps. Look at something like Blighttown in Dark Souls on the console, it's known for being a miserable area for more than just toxic statuses.

FPS is part of deciding whether a game is enjoyable because it ties directly into how a game plays. And when we get bullshit statements trying to excuse terrible frame rates, people saying frame rate doesn't matter, and instead get somewhat decent graphics but messed up gameplay due to a low FPS people take issue. That's why people are crying about it now. Because now there's little excuse.
>>
>>333706774
NTSC is interlaced though.

So it's actually 60fps maximum
>>
>>333704860
>Voodoo 2 SLI
>SLI
>and you're calling people underage
You do realise that while it may have stood for Scanline interleave then, and had different technology behind it, it WAS indeed described by the acronym SLI and it was how you got your 3dfxes to work together.
>>
>>333702096
15 years ago I was playing 60FPS emulators and Half-Life mods. The only game I got low FPS was shit like MMOs.
>>
>>333706774
Q. Do you know what interlacing is?
Good boy.
>>
>there are still people in this world who cant tell the differance between 30,60, and 120fps instantly

im done. this plus sjw faggatory, how could anyone want to live on this planet?
>>
>>333706551
>trying to explain this to people
They think every game back then was unreal on max settings.
>>
>>333707289
Typically you'd be playing on medium or low settings (except for draw distance, pump that shit) but still getting a solid framerate.
>>
>>333707289
if you're gonna downgrade settings you may as well have been playing PS1 with flickering texture eye rape m8
>>
>>333703831
right back at ya.
>>
>>333707448
I just don't want you to lie and think people were playing on max settings. Look at any old competitive gaming video and people ran on dogshit settings and no textures for high fps. Even nowadays people play on shit settings in games like CS to get a stable framerate.
>>
>>333707536
cl_smoke 2
>>
>>333705645
You can't even read properly, This was my post
>>333704860
>>
>>333707734
I was intentionally reading poorly to troll you, though!
Haha! pwn3d!
>>
>>333706741
>3dfx
funny thing my buddy's family member working was working at creative. bunch of us got creative 3dfx cards and random sound blasters. we bought rivaTNTs because they were superior.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.