[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever get to see the birth of a new video game genre or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: katzen.jpg (215 KB, 1296x919) Image search: [Google]
katzen.jpg
215 KB, 1296x919
Will we ever get to see the birth of a new video game genre or was everything already invented during the 90s? Everything seems so stale nowadays.

>inb4 moba
>>
I really like the new wave of roguelites since tboi became popular
>>
the most recent "genre" i can think of is the whole clicker games or idle games thing, like cookie clicker and clicker heroes.

apart from that, i cant think of any 'new' genres that havent been around for nearly two decades.
>>
There's plenty of indie games doing innovative and interesting new things, it just takes quite a bit of effort to wade through all the shit before you find the hidden gems.
>>
>>333690248
You mean something as generalized as shooter, puzzle or rpg? No, those are so broad that anything coming out today will fall under those umbrellas.

But sub-genres are created all the time. MOBAs are an obvious example, as well as sandbox games/GTA clones. Smash Bros clones are starting to become Platform Fighters as more of them enter the market, and Minecrafts specific brand of survival strategy is going down that same path.

You're seeing a bunch of shit pop up in the mobile market too between clickers/idle games and runners, though those are meant for a different audience and probably aren't what you're looking for
>>
>>333690787
Oh yeah, I forgot about the walking simulator genre. I guess that's one of the accomplishments in recent years.
>>
>>333690248
>infiniminer came out in the 90's
>>
>>333690248
Are digital card games that utilize the fact that it's digital a genre?
>>
i think that those .io games are going to be labelled as a genre soon.
>>
File: 1411331002607.png (851 KB, 600x960) Image search: [Google]
1411331002607.png
851 KB, 600x960
>>333690248
soul genre latests one that innovated gaming
>>
New genres come out exactly as often as you want them to, because they're an arbitrary labeling. Any time a new game comes out, you can either fit it under the umbrella of an existing genre, or you can say it's the first member of a new genre. Other people will disagree with you no matter what you do, because anyone can apply arbitrary labels to things, so maybe that'll help you take solace.
>>
>>333691472
Souls is just 3D Casltevania done right.
>>
>>333690248
The empty open world survival early access with crafting and zombies/dinosaurs/whatever genre is pretty new.
>>
>>333691569
>or you can say it's the first member of a new genre.
This is usually done in retrospect as more games of that type begin to show up though.

Like, Metroid was just an action adventure game until Castlevania and indie games started using its formula. Now it's widely known as the game that pioneered the Metroidvania genre.

On the other hand, as much as some Prime fans want the game to be labelled as a First Person Adventure game since it doesn't follow many shooter conventions, the game still gets labelled as a shooter since there's not that many games that could be called FPA's out there. They're just weird shooters.
>>
>>333690880
There's more to indie games than walking sims, and I agree they are utter shit. But if you think that's all there is you are sadly mistaken.
>>
The problem isnt that we've seen everything vidya has to offer, its that the market demands familiarity due to how expensive vidya production skyrocketed between 6th and 7th gen
>>
What genre is Knights in the Nightmare?
>>
>>333692241
Production costs didn't skyrocket, the marketing costs did. Even witcher 3 had double the marketing budget compared to it's dev costs.

Games today sell based purely on marketing, you can produce a complete piece of shit, like DA2 or that night at freddys abortion for example, and still sell millions of copies because of marketing.
>>
>>333692394
>What genre is Knights in the Nightmare?
bad game
>>
>>333690248
Is that a tick on the carpet?
>>
>>333692394
srpg with some shmup elements

it's a fairly original game, but not a new genre, just an odd combination of things that have been done before
>>
>>333690248
Thanks to VR, we will get a slue of new genres
The best being
virtual dating
>>
File: 1437574093920.jpg (25 KB, 276x444) Image search: [Google]
1437574093920.jpg
25 KB, 276x444
>>333690248

Genres are fine, the problem is the distribution and the lack of innovation within the existing genres.

>AAA
>Shooters
>Action games with the depth of a tea plate (Asscreed, Batman, etc)
>MOBAs
>Western VNs, aka cinematic games

>Indies
>Roguelike
>Platformers
>Survival / early acess scams

It's hard to find any new quality games outside of those, and even then they stagnated really hard. It's not worth innovating on AAA because they sell through marketing and it's also not worth innovating on the indie genre because they sell through nostalgia / fedora appeal (look at my game that is just like that classic from the 90s). The current audience doesn't mind stagnation, they're satisfied with what they get.
>>
>>333690248
> Walking simulators
> cinematic novelties fps shooter (the order)
> interactive audiobook (fire watch)
>>
Well what about FTL? Infested Planet? Battle Brothers? Sunless Sea? Door Kickers? Neo Scavenger? Fuck it, Starsector?

All great little indie developed games that have had very good success for various reasons and some of which are extremely unique.

You just have to wade through a lot of absolute shit to find the good stuff.

Hotline Miami anyone?
>>
>>333694801
It's the shame that mid-budget games and devs have basically died out in the modern market.
They survived via handhelds last gen and that's where all the interesting experimental games were but it feels like the success of mobile gaming finally killed that market for good.
>>
>>333690248
Yes, with technology that allows things that we literally cannot imagine, like new color.
>>
some indie dicks just made some kind of adventure game for blind people

it's all audio, no pictures

kind of want to try it just to get to try something different
>>
>>333694801
what game was it
>>
>>333695889
Isn't that called an audio book?
>>
>>333690248
cover based shooters?
>>
>>333696119
it's a hack and slash game though

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437530/
>>
>>333691604
This here

I realized this the moment I fought Ludwig and heard that glorious theme
>>
>>333692078

no one called re4 a corridor shooter when it was released for example
>>
Those fps survival sandbox games
>>
>>333696498
We really should petition for Ubisoft to be its own game genre, every game they make nowadays is the same.
>>
File: 1459672301099.jpg (400 KB, 1620x599) Image search: [Google]
1459672301099.jpg
400 KB, 1620x599
>tfw gaming plateaued in the 00's and it's never going to get any better
>>
>>333696498

those aren't a new genre. they just take preexisting ones and mesh them together.
>>
>>333690248
I guess it's not exactly new, but spacechem type games? I think they've been dubbed engineering games.

>>333690880
Walking sims could technically be just crappy myst clones.
>>
>>333691472
>>333691604
>>333696354
The Souls games are really just a refined, third person version of King's Field, which itself originates in the 90's.
>>
>>333697560
You forgot your
t. underageb&
>>
>>333697613
what
>>
>>333691604
dmc is 3D castlevania.
can you jump in dark souls?

no, you can't.

also, the games have no sense of humor, but castlevania and dmc do.
>>
>>333697751
>can you jump in dark souls?
>no, you can't.
yes you can. It's pointless 90% of the time, but jumping is a thing.
>>
>>333697751
>Castlevania
>sense of humor

What? It's brooding and dark as fuck.
>>
>>333697751

Dark souls has a tremendous sense of humour.

>Ha ha, I killed you again.
>>
>>333698324

and fucking Patches dammit!
>>
The latest new genre is the walking simulator

that shit would never have flied back in the 80s and 90s...

even Myst had fucking puzzles
>>
>>333690429
There were flash games of that genre around at least a decade ago on Newgrounds and other sites. Still a recent genre in the grand scheme of things and possibly the most recent genre, but not really recent enough to be called new.
>>
>>333698407
Are you a cleric or something?
>>
>>333690248
Then you haven't been looking.

Since the 90s, there's
>Real-world area control (Ingress)
>long-term RTS (Subterfuge)
>Rogue-lites (Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Enter the Gungeon)
>Strategy/puzzle shooters (Superhot, Portal)
>"Walking simulators" (Firewatch, Gone Home)
>MMOFPS (The Division, Destiny)
>The absolutely MASSIVE number of phone games that I'm not going to list, most of which would be impossible or at least a very bad idea on console or home PC
>>
There's potential to see new genres of games being made from VR
>>
>>333699701
Phone shit, an interesting puzzle game people only remember for le epic memes, and non-games.
Great list.
>>
>>333699446
I just like treasure is all.

But the time I did play faith I lied to him, and he tried to flip the bridge on me.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.