[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
From industry leader in stylish action game to licensed game producer with mediocre gameplay.
>>
>>333683680
What happened to OP?

From best shitposter to lazy rehasher.
>>
>>333683680
the head is making his dream game, scalebound

the lesser teams are making bank with minimal effort
>>
We all gotta eat, bro.
>>
>>333683680
>platinum
>leading anything

Their games were only critically successful at best. No one cared about Platinum until they did Rising, Rising alone is the root cause of all the "Platinum should do X" posts you see.
>>
>>333683680
MGR
>>
Have to pay rent somehow
>>
>>333683680
>Kamiya says he is in good terms with Capcom and wants to do something with them
>>
The license game pays the bills
>>
Reached their peak as Clover.
>>
>>333684497
And scalebound looks horrible so far, why even bother? Just port Bayonetta 2 to REAL platforms and give me a Vanquish sequel please.
>>
Companies don't care about making good games, only making a profit.

See: The Playstation brand.
>>
>>333686129
Your Bayo salt is my favorite food dressing
>>
>>333686370
High in calories. Better watch that waistline, anon.
>>
>>333686370
in 1 year bayo2 will be perfectly playable on PC

how salty are you now?
>>
Creative teams change and basically every game release has major shuffling of chairs for staff except maybe big names who steal all the credit.
>>
File: Fy7wPPx.png (95 KB, 418x337) Image search: [Google]
Fy7wPPx.png
95 KB, 418x337
>Transformers
>Mediocre gameplay

A dearth of assets, sure, but it plays like a fucking dream.

And even if Korra's the worst they have to offer, it's still pretty decent for a budget downloadable title.

I'm looking forward to the full-on boss game that TMNT looks like it's going to be, as long as it plays as well as TD did.
>>
The problem is that they ran out of Nintendo-funded games, Kamiya is taking a long time on Scalebound, and Konami went full retard so there's no chance of MGR2. While Platinum is full of talented people, they just don't have another visionary on the same level as Kamiya. Or at least if they do, they're not confident enough to head their own unique IP.
>>
>Smaller less experienced teams work on budget titles that are no cost to them since publishers come to them to get the created like TMNT and Transformers for quick bucks to keep the company afloat
>Bigger more experienced teams work on bigger budget titles that Platinum either has to invest more into it do more to create like Revengance, Bayonetta and Scalebound these titles will either bring in a lot of money or not so they can't be created at will.

I don't see the problem OP this is how most developer function
>>
File: 1449295072676.jpg (361 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449295072676.jpg
361 KB, 1920x1080
Vanquish sequel when?
>>
>From industry leader in stylish action game
When was that, OP?
>>
>>333687285
>sales were low
>shinji mikami doesn't give a fuck anymore, isn't working on any games

Vanquish 2 is never going to happen
I'd love AT LEAST a PS4/PC port
>>
>>333687272
Agreed. I don't see many people go on about Wayforward's licensed catalogue.

>>333687285
First Mikami needs to drag Tango back and stop making RE4-likes.
>>
File: image.gif (365 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
365 KB, 320x240
The only legitimate bad game they made this gen was Korra and It was still a decent game
>>
>>333686129
>Port the game Nintendo commissioned
>>
>>333687736
What this nigga said. Even so, Korra wasn't that bad.
>>
>>333684497
I'm sure the Automata team is putting effort into their work.
>>
>Implying Star Fox Zero isn't going to be great

>Judging Scalebound before we even see real gameplay

>Ignorinng that the Transformers game was fun as fuck

>Pretending that the TMNT game isn't the best game for a long fucking time after the shitpile the last 2 games were
>>
Am I crazy for thinking Anarchy Reigns is mediocre? I like everything except the gameplay, which just overstays its welcome an hour in.
>>
>>333683680
>get recognized for your talent
>literally everyone wants to work with you
>churn out decent licensed games for easy money
>meanwhile one very prominent director in said studio is busy making one of his dream games
>also making what looks to be a traditional stylish action game with good production values with Nier: Automata, funded and published by Square-Enix
>working with Nintendo to make Star Fox Zero

Fuck are you on about, they're doing alright. This is just a bit of a different period for them. They're trying their hands at making a WRPG in Scalebound (remember, Clover/Platinum experimented with new genres all the time up until more recently; this is nothing new), while making something else that's more their forte with Nier, and making pretty damn good licensed games that are basically free money.

Platinum is not only still the best developer in the market right now, but other fucking developers are recognizing them as much.
>>
>>333687962
It'll never be as great as the summer it released.

It's a huge shame that Sega fucked the momentum in the west like they did. Announced the delayed release on fucking Twitter without letting Platinum know beforehand, even though the game was COMPLETELY translated. Half a year later, the people who imported had played their fill, and it was off everyone else's radar.

Fucking battle royales and deathball were the best. It's the only Platinum game I'd kill to get a PC release for, if only so that there'd be a more easily accessible and longer-lasting community.
>>
>>333687843
>Judging Scalebound before we even see real gameplay
To be fair, it is by the same guy who's directed DMC, so for all we know the main character could be a medieval Dante. Which I would be perfectly okay with.
>>
File: file.png (47 KB, 180x222) Image search: [Google]
file.png
47 KB, 180x222
>>333688341
>I'd kill to get a PC release for, if only so that there'd be a more easily accessible and longer-lasting community.

>PC games
>lasting community that isn't Valve games or MOBAs
>>
>>333688460
>What is Quake?
>>
>>333687285
Fucking never, unfortunately.

Unless they get something going with Tango and Bethesda.

>>333687736
Korra and Transformers were both kinda by the numbers and even THOSE were fucking great.
>>
>>333688460
I mean relative to consoles, smart guy.

In five or ten years, nobody's going to dig up their PS3 just to play MA/AR. But if you can just download it then it becomes a lot easier/more convenient to pick up again.
>>
>>333688584
i didnt like transformers honestly. maybe the gameplay couldnt save my indifference for the IP.
>>
>industry leader in stylish action game
You seem to be confused because DMC3 and 4 were better than anything they ever made. Making a bunch of mediocre to decent stuff doesn't make you industry leader.

In fact, the single outstanding game they made was back when they were called Clover, and it wasn't a stylish action game.
>>
File: file.png (143 KB, 326x367) Image search: [Google]
file.png
143 KB, 326x367
>>333688545
>ancient PC games

>>333688681
>relative to consoles

There's a reason why the Japanese do NOT make PC games. Hint; it's not because the platform is irrelevant there. It's irrelevant worldwide.
>>
>>333687837
This is literally the only reason I'm considering on buying a ps4 for
>>
>>333688768
Ah yes, because Valve definitely does not make any money at all off of Steam.
Unless your saying that Steam games are the same thing as Valve games, then you are very obviously 12 years old or retarded.
>>
>>333688695
I'm honestly not THAT big of a Transformers fan myself, but I enjoyed it. Great gameplay and I appreciated that it was more open than your typical Platinum game. Actually I still need to finish it. Haven't played my PS3 in months because my controllers are fucked, sadly. Though still usable.

>>333688706
Capcom hasn't made a new DMC since vanilla DMC4 like 7-8 years ago, which is sad. No, I'm not counting DMC4:SE, though it was very appreciated.

Capcom hadn't done shit but look like they're picking up the pace with DMC5 now. TN have been concentrating on other shit. Not only have Platinum mostly made stylish action games since their inception, but they're also a smaller studio who are willing to work with bigger devs like Activision and Nintendo.

The ONLY developer who's been making any good stylish action games in the past few years has been Platinum Games.
>>
>>333688768
All those Japanese developers must be throwing away money on those PC ports then, huh?
>>
>>333689002
Valve only makes money off TF2/Dota/CSGO cosmetics. The money they make off game sales is so minuscule, if they weren't a game distributor their profits wouldn't budge at all.

>>333689072
Notice how they're exclusively porting old games to PC. I wonder why is that?
>>
File: 1440190195336.jpg (117 KB, 782x835) Image search: [Google]
1440190195336.jpg
117 KB, 782x835
>>333686658
Anon, do you realize how deluded you sound?
>>
>>333686129
>Just port Bayonetta 2 to REAL platforms
While you're at it, tell Platinum to ask for a Zelda Wii U port for PS4.
>>
>>333689172
Because most of the series being ported have a while between new entries, even on consoles? The turnaround time for developers is becoming much shorter, assuming the new games aren't day-and-date for all versions.
>>
>>333689562
>Because most of the series being ported have a while between new entries, even on consoles?

Yeah, that's why they're only porting Shinovi Versus to PC but not the new Esteval Versus. That's why Megadimension is only on the PS4, while the latest Neptunia game is a game from 2014. That's why Sega ported Valkyria Chronicles 6 years after release, while the future games are console exclusive, to speak nothing of the new game being PS4 exclusive. They really care about PC, you see.
>>
File: Not having facts.png (166 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Not having facts.png
166 KB, 420x420
>>333689172
>The money they make off game sales is so minuscule, if they weren't a game distributor their profits wouldn't budge at all.
Probably because people are pouring so much money into cosmetics to trade on the steam market for their games, thus Tf2, Dota, and CSGO more or less pay for themselves. Mainly due to market autist who think it's a good idea to spend a shit-ton of money on a virtual knife, so it's pretty much gambling for money and games.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 630x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 630x350
>>333687843

This

Fuck reshelled and the absolute abortion that is out of the shadows
>>
>>333690014
What was so bad about it? Seemed like a competent Arkham clone, combat wise.
>>
>>333684497
>scalebound
Oh, hey, that looks pretty coo
>RPG numbers all over the screen
WHY? JUST FUCKING WHY?
>>
>>333683680
Funding big original projects with lesser ip driven titles that sell alot and are cheap to make and sell.

It's not even like the games are bad bar korra.
>>
>>333690184
>WHY? JUST FUCKING WHY?
its an rpg
>>
>>333690541
No, it's not a fucking RPG, it's yet another disgustingly shitty ARPG. If you want to make a fucking action game, then fucking make a fucking action game.
>>
>>333690636
arpgs are rpgs
>>
>>333690695
>look, levels and numbers! it toally is an RPG!
No. End yourself.
>>
>>333683680
When working with other IPs, Platinum is pretty damn mediocre.
When they make their own games and IPs though, they're so much better.

Which is why I'm baffled when people say "I want X game by Platinum" because it will be so average.
>>
>>333690636
It's a JRPG, so it doesn't have to be a real RPG to be considered a RPG
>>
>>333683680
they didn't make infinite space a new IP series and make an Infinite Space 3DS and then an Infinite Space N3DS
>>
>>333688460
freelancer, free space, X1/2/3 and a shitton of other pc games / series still have active modding and online communities. that nostalrius server for vanilla wow got shut down because jewzard want to force its playerbase onto jewzard servers and current wow.

>which is retarded anyway due to them playing VANILLA. on purpose . on a server specifically for vanilla.
>>
File: not fair.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
not fair.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>>333693640
>Infinite Space
>spiritual sequel never ever
>>
>Implying a Dragon Ball game made by Platinum wouldn't be based as fuck
>Implying you wouldn't want to see Goku fucking up the Red Ribbon Army's headquarters with Platinum's stylish combat
>>
>>333694093
>yfw we will never get a full 3d Infinite Space N3DS with at least a freelancer esque 3d box to fly your fleet around in or home world style full 3d motion.

>glorious grafix IS fleets and fighters never

Battlefleet gothic armada is the closest thing we'll get.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.