[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why'd they think turning Doom into a horror game would be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Coverdoom3-1-.jpg (38 KB, 344x500) Image search: [Google]
Coverdoom3-1-.jpg
38 KB, 344x500
Why'd they think turning Doom into a horror game would be a good idea?
>>
It worked for System Shock
>>
Because that was part of the original intent?

The game was basically Wolfenstein 3D but with an Alien-flavored world. Enemies would appear right behind you, overwhelm you at the entrances, and the shadows would hide darker enemies. All that, plus the game was generally slow-paced until later sourceports added native mouselook.

Also, Doom 3 was done without Romero's oversight.
>>
>>333681991
You can look left and right with the mouse in the original executable. If you're specifically referring to being able to look up and down, then if anything, that slows down the pace of the game because it lets a player cheat and shoot at enemies below him instead of being forced to jump down into the fray.
>>
>>333681991
This
>>
>>333682732
>it's 'cheating' not to shoot above or below you despite the fact that your enemies can

fucking nostalgia fags
>>
>>333682732
>looking down is cheating
The mental gymnastics /v/ goes through to make excuses for any flaw in a game they like is insane
>>
>>333681006
It was a good idea, Doom always had the horror elements doom 3's weakness was the enemy changes and level design which were cramped very linear corridors
>>333682732
freelook doesn't break the game that much you just needed to have the target on screen to hit them in the original
>>
>>333683316
Doom 3's weakness was level design, the fact that enemies do not react to getting shot, INTENSE FLASHLIGHT BASED GAMEPLAY and rarely having to deal with more than 2 enemies at a time.

That's to name a few, anyway.
>>
Wasn't Doom 64 the first game to make Doom more horror?
>>
>>333683963
i guess you could say that, the lighting effects were improved a lot everything is darker and grittier and the soundtrack is all creepy ambient noises
>>
>>333683963
No the first game was, also PS1 too
>>
>>333683963
Not quite. Playstation Doom predates Doom 64.
>>
>>333683316
Aside from the vertical auto-aim having a limited angle of coverage, it also has a limited distance from which it can take effect. In very large open areas (typically only found in megawads that exceed vanilla limits) with elevated enemies, freelook would allow you to snipe enemies from far away in relative safety whereas playing without freelook would force you to move in closer in such a way that the enemies can actually be a threat to you.
>>
>>333681006
It has demons and shit, of course it's going to be scary.
>>
Doom 3 is a good game.
But for some reason I have never finished it once in the three times I've tried to play through it and I have no idea why..
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.