[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a game be completely F2P with only $$ generated from cosmetics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: dota-2-official.jpg (124 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
dota-2-official.jpg
124 KB, 1191x670
Is the dota 2 model ( 100% free game, $$ only for cosmetics) replicable for other MOBAs, FPS, or even MMOs?

Or was the only reason dota 2 was able to go that route due to valve's backing since it is a wealthy industry titan?
>>
Dota 2 also has you pay for replays, and at a point in the past they made you pay for early access.

Dota 2 was carried by its name and by Valve.

Whether or not other developers (smaller, without their own distribution platform, etc) could ever manage to do something similar is unknown, none has managed to do it, that's for sure.
>>
>>333662734
You don't pay for replays in Dota 2, maybe tournament replays because you may need a ticket, but I've watched tournament replays without a ticket before - not to mention you can piggyback onto friends with a ticket to watch live games of a tournament.

>pay for early access

Never happened.

>>333662309
As the other anon said it needs something to gain attention, otherwise most games will go P2W/Grind2Play garbage,
>>
No idea, but Valve pushes those compendiums like crack. A little too much for my taste, I don't like seeing ads all over the game.
>>
>>333662734
>pay for replays
Literally wrong. Any public match has its replay available for free.
>>
>>333662309
valve literally gets 75% of compendium money and the people who buy it are made aware of it. You can't compete with loyalists.
>>
>>333663470
I didn't say you had to pay for all replays, but it is also not true that you can only buy cosmetics. Some replays are behind a paywall, and that is undeniable.

>>333663297
>Never happened.

Nice lie:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/31/dota-2-is-free-to-play-dota-store-open-now-and-selling-beta-a/
>The store opened tonight, and offers a $39.99 "Early Access Bundle" of in-game items that also lets the buyer into the ongoing beta.

$40 for early access + cosmetics.
>>
Dota probably has the best f2p system in place. Also there arent really any ads and the compendium is always worth it.
>>
File: ZOYeeKO.jpg (642 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
ZOYeeKO.jpg
642 KB, 1680x1050
>>333662309
Path of Exile is probably THE F2P game to date. It is an excellent overall game and micro transactions (which aren't actually too micro) don't give any advantage and are mostly cosmetics and don't give any advantage. It's more a ' I enjoy the game I will buy a cosmetic item to be grateful to the devs'.
>>
>>333664186
>don't give any advantage
>they literally sell stash tabs
fuck off retard
>>
>>333662309
>Is the dota 2 model ( 100% free game, $$ only for cosmetics) replicable for other MOBAs, FPS, or even MMOs?
Yes, but developers and publishers want to be bigger Jews than Valve, and they sure are Jewish as fuck.
>>
>>333664150
That'ss tournament tickets. And not Valve ones either.
And that doesn't qualify as "gameplay element". It's tournament organizers that want you to pay to watch, usually they have bigger prizepools but no sponsors so they resort to tickets.

As for early access, the beta was 0.05 dollars on the marketplace from week 1.
>>
>>333664186
To bad it's ruined by RMT economy shit and the game's balance is fucking garbage.

People will still shovel it up.

>1/2 or 1/3 of your build will be defensive/health nodes
>you will pretty much spam ONE ability the entire way to clear stuff(or a leveling ability until you can use it), people think this is fun
>the autism that is hardcore vs casual playerbase
>>
>>333662309
path of exile barring the stash tabs and the Premium Trading™, The stash tabs aren't a real big thing either cause you can make a unlimited free mule accounts.
>>
How's Prismata doing?
>>
>>333664150
how are paid replays a disadvantage in comparison to other mobas? lol, hots etc. don't even have tournament replays and dota tournaments VoDs are still free to watch, you don't need replays if you don't want to pay.
>>
>>333664643
>fanboy: statement
>it's wrong
>fanboy: it's not!
>it's is wrong, here is proof
>fanboy: well, but it doesn't matter anyway

Every fucking time, for every F2P thread.

Dota 2 doesn't only sell cosmetics.
Whether you consider the replays to be relevant or not has nothing to do with it. That is your subjective opinion which doesn't invalidate the fact.
Same applies to beta keys: whether you could get them any other way has nothing to do with the fact that they did sell early access.

Those are facts and are objective.

>>333665559
>dota 2 only sells cosmetics
>not true
>but compared to other mobas...

Drink bleach, dotard. Nobody cares about your brand wars.
>>
>>333665808
Ok how many competitive games do you know that allow ingame tournament spectating? It's feature that other games don't have, it's ridiculous to say that it's a negative.
>>
>>333665808
I've never seen someone so mad that a company sold stuff other than cosmetics in a F2P
>>
>>333665808
t. most autistic person on this board

I don't even play the game but after reading through this thread it really does seem like DOTA 2 does the f2p system much better than anything else out there
>>
>>333666063
I'm not mad at the company, it's just that it happens in every F2P thread.

In this case it was Dota 2, but it happens in everything from other mobas to PoE (also in the thread), soldat, korean grindfests and whatnot.

Always the same pattern. There is nothing but cosmetics > prove it! > ok, maybe, but I don't consider it relevant.

>>333666035
Read OP:
>Is the dota 2 model ( 100% free game, $$ only for cosmetics)
>>
>>333664717
>>you will pretty much spam ONE ability the entire way to clear stuff(or a leveling ability until you can use it), people think this is fun

Is there a Diablo clone that DOESN'T do this?
>>
the trick is having a hardcore concrete fanbase who wasted years in the previous game

they are the ones who spend big bucks

new ip cant implement this model cuz bitches are not loyal
>>
>>333665808
>dotard
>Nobody cares about your brand wars.

???

How can one man be this hypocritical?
>>
>>333665808
m8. For all intents and purposes Dota2 sells cosmetics, since tournament tickets don't affect the core game, just like cosmetics don't.

I doubt any other publisher/developer can pull off f2p like Dota2 can, because of e-sports money. Even POE sells inventory slots.
>>
ITT doslams jihading hard
>>
I have 2.2k hours in dota 2.

I have not spent a single cent. Am I abusing the system /v/? Should I at least put down like 50 bucks in cosmetics? Is it because of people like me free-to-play models sometimes go under? Am I a parasite?
>>
>>333664717
>>you will pretty much spam ONE ability the entire way to clear stuff(or a leveling ability until you can use it), people think this is fun
That's the entire genre, and the exceptions just make every ability feel underwhelming.
>>
>>333667182
Dota2 needs players for the game to work.
>>
>>333667182
Naw, Dota 2 makes enough money, you're fine
>>
>>333667182
no other nerds make up for you you are fine buddy
>>
>>333667182
I've spent probably around ~$200 on Dota 2 with 2.2k hours, if not more. I got them shiny Enigma Bracers from TI5 compendium, that's like 150 right there.
>>
Dota/LoL model spawned something worse that is Cash shops for paid games.
>>
>>333667421
but the big question is can you make up your life span wasted on vidya...?
>>
you cucks will never get Pitlord
NEVER

EVER
>>
>>333667521
And if those cash shops only contained cosmetics it'd be 100% okay.
>>
>>333667304
>>333667328
>>333667370
>>333667421

Okay, actually curious, let's say Valvo starts reporting losses for Dota; as in they need more money. They are considering a shift to pay-to-play.

Is it then my duty to pony up and buy some cosmetics?
>>
>>333667631
p2w faggit
>>
File: 1460001807967.jpg (2 MB, 2032x4889) Image search: [Google]
1460001807967.jpg
2 MB, 2032x4889
>>333662309
>>
Dota 2 has an advantage with an established fanbase and Valve backing it. But regardless it still has the best F2P model out right now (core game free + supported by optional cosmetics)
>>
Cosmetic items are the equivalence of virtual trading cards. You are going to need a dedicated community that'd want to pay and trade for said cosmetics.

The game has to be popular and resonate with the community first and as time goes on slowly introduce this to players. That's what TF2 did.
>>
>>333667718
game is not fucking fundraiser you communist fag let dying game die out in competition

when their game is failing and they set up paywall that just kills it no matter what
>>
File: 2832.png (163 KB, 950x450) Image search: [Google]
2832.png
163 KB, 950x450
>>333667586
>>
>>333667718
In your hypothetical situation, volvo loses even more money doing that so it makes no sense at all. When was the last time you heard a F2P game saying we're going B2P?
>>
>>333667743
>a bunch of "COSMETICS ARE BAD" pictures haphazardly thrown together like a 5th grade collage
>>
>>333667586
Pitlord's has been a shit hero since forever, he's most likely getting a complete rework.
>>
>>333664186
grim dawn >>>>>>>> path of exile

one of the PoE content designers literally made it so you cant get an instantaneous diablo 2 style teleport on the sole fact that he was butthurt other people had enigma runewords and he didn't.

don't have a source, it's on the official PoE forums somewhere, probably deleted by now. this was years ago.
>>
>>333662734
You know I was surprised to see such a pertinent topic brought up on /v/, and then I remembered retards like you are why I don't expect topics relevant to the future of video games to be brought up with any modicum of seriousness.
>>
>>333662734
Why are idiots commenting on topics they dont understand?
>>
>>333668138
That's because Icefraud is creatively bankrupt. If you were to release this carrot on a stick all you idiots would have to look forward to a brand new hero, something that won't exist til 2020.
>>
>>333668221
so gd > poa > d3 in your book? is it really that good or other two sucking so hard?
>>
I'm unhappy with the way Dota 2 has been handled. I don't give a fuck about this e-sports shit, I want them to fucking update Slardars goddamn model.
>>
>>333662309
Valve runs a store, they can get away with this shit. How many times must it be repeated.
>>
>>333668495
that fucker must have some swelled up ego thinking he is doing some sort of art, perfecting shit

the truth is he is just making vidya so he better just port pit lord
>>
>>333668071
>i didn´t bother to read the image at all so i just gonna post what i think it means.
Stop emabarassing yourself.
Dota 2 is rigged to lose , updates take longer to come out after eatch patch. the balance is the worst one yet.
The Shangai major was a laughable lousy tournament thrown together at the last minute.
>>
>>333668658

The 'why Dota is played' is flawed.

You don't win or lose 50% of games, yes the game tries to balance teams around their current MMR so both sides have a 50% chance to win but the game does not give a fuck about your win rate, how do you think pros consistently make smurfs into 5k? Wisp, the lowest win rate hero in the game, in the lowest bracket, regularly played as a support, and barely rising along other brackets (except VHS where it's over 50% if not close) is spammed by a 7k MMR guy who regularly stomps as CARRY/MID Wisp if he doesn't support.

In fact there have been several studies/tests done by players to prove 'forced 50%' - the idea that the game is trying to game your win rate to 50%, exists.
>>
>>333668587
never gonna happen mate. How does it feel that the WC3 model from 2003 looks better?
>>
>>333668912
How do you want matchmaking to work, then?
>>
File: Slardar.gif (122 KB, 206x153) Image search: [Google]
Slardar.gif
122 KB, 206x153
>>333668587
>Slardar will never be a naga/reptilian snakeman instead of a dumb fucking fish
just kill me now
>>
File: 1454711912923.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1454711912923.png
156 KB, 270x270
>>333668658

>the balance is the worst one yet

HO HO

HA HA
>>
>>333669096
>skeleton king cucked so hard by chinese censorship he became ghost

can't top that
>>
>>333669096
But I like his angler antenna
>>
>>333669270
>actually believing it was chinese censorship
Considering Skelly King already had a censored helm-wearing version no it wasn't censorship, it was Valve scared as fuck of Blizzard.
>>
>>333668658
>DOTANIC LOLOL XDDD AMRITE
It's lasted longer than any other dota-like game to date and still has new players joining. It's gonna last for a while, Valve is gonna do everything to stretch out it's lifetime like TF2. So please keep posting your TORTANIC pics from your /v/ folder like you are exposing some profound truth.
>>
>>333668946
Feels like shit. Natures Prophet looks the worse, like a fucking muppet.

Just tired of the game. Throw us a fucking bone Valve.
>>
>>333668587
>updating slardar
>when fucking jakiro is currently in the game
They literally only textured his heads for the portrait, the rest of him is a black mass. At least Slardar has a body acceptable enough to sell shit
>>
>>333669430
In fact, it's lasted since it started off as a map in wc3. I don't really see it going away at this point.
>>
>>333669446
NP looks good you faggot.
>>
why didn't they just implement their own art style when they ported doto?

they settled with inferior but similar to wc3 models and many of them look like muppets with down syndrome
>>
>>333665808
What are you even trying to prove buddy, you're just kind of rambling about nothing

That you could buy beta like 5 years ago?
>>
>>333669548
you're fucking delusional, the only way that clone looks any good is if you deck him out with really good cosmetics.
>>
>>333669548
>malfurion suffering from down syndrome

>looks good
>>
File: 1443302441269.gif (360 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1443302441269.gif
360 KB, 480x480
>>333669728
>>333669726
You guys are probably booty bothered because of Jungle NP.
>>
>>333669247
Sniper patch wasn't even that awful, it was just that the top heroes were also easy to play so you had to deal with that crap in pub games too.

Every patch after comeback gold has sucked though, hidden mechanics designed solely to prolong games are stupid as hell.
>>
>>333669548
i bet you can relate, you must be a noseless fucking midget in real life.
>>
>tfw you start winning every match because you paid for every tournament ticket and watched all the pro games
>>
>>333663602
>play a lot of dota
>never buy compendiums or tickets
>feel like I should because you can sell the items you get from them on the market
>>
>>333669948
Sniper patch was horrible as fuck, Shrapnel was the strongest ability in game, so fucking strong
>>
>>333669948
I don't understand what was wrong with the length of a dota game before comeback gold. Did e-sports say we want viewers on stream longer or something?
>>
File: Nature_s_Prophet.png (149 KB, 433x547) Image search: [Google]
Nature_s_Prophet.png
149 KB, 433x547
>>333669548
>>333669860
>thinking this looks good
you are fucking pathetic
>>
>>333670170
Icefrog wants the ability to comeback regardless of how bad you're losing

I dont it has anything to do with time
>>
Valve had a lot of money going for them enough to keep them afloat until the game got big enough to produce them money to compensate for their effort.
>>
>>333670397
and instead of fixing bugs, importing heroes, touching up art assets they made it into a hamster's treadmill for hats. Great.....
>>
>>333670170
No it was because Esports players are actually good at the game which enabled them to sometimes make up a strategy where they pick a strong team early on and fight the enemy team as much as possible and use that early advantage to win.

Spectators whined because your average casual Dota player wants to see 6 slotted carries duking it out and didn't like that good players could simply maintain advantage, so now they have comeback gold as an artificial pendulum to force games to be "interesting".

What "interesting" actually means though is that the team that's ahead by doing a strategy like this can win a teamfight with 3 kills to the enemy's 2 kills but still have lost because the game arbitrarily gives the losing team more money, forcing the winning team to starve the enemy out of their own jungle for 15 minutes and only push when they have Rosh.
>>
>>333667743
>pick AM
>have to solo in my lane
>team gets shit on
>don't even try to fight the other team because AM rat while team flails pathetically
>win game with 788gpm
All you need to do to win games is pick AM and not be retarded or get shit on too hard in the first 10 minutes.
>>
>>333670581
It's almost like they've done that before somehow...
>>
>>333670890
they've barely done anything.
>>
I'm glad they put all their time and effort into that shitty VR gimmick with the stupid VR demo.
>>
>>333670708
>le blog post is the way to play dota 2
It doesnt´work that way. You can´t do that shit every fucking game because picks line ups , items and laning strategies are depending on what the enemy has.
Your blog post says nothing.
>>
>>333664186

PoE comes pretty close to almost being completely F2P, but extra stash tabs do give a massive advantage since you don't have to mule with alts and shit, and can get better currency ratios by selling in bulk. Also, premium stash tabs make it much easier to sell items, even easier than when using tools like Procurement.

However, I was still able to beat the final boss of the game, Uber Atziri, with only 4 stash tabs. If you don't want to spend any money at all, you can use a program like Idlemaster if you have lots of games and sell cards to get steambux to buy tabs with.

>>333664717

>To bad it's ruined by RMT economy shit

I don't give a shit what Kobe or other rmters do, they're not affecting my gameplay in any way.

>1/2 or 1/3 of your build will be defensive/health nodes
Why would I need more DPS if I already push each Uber Atziri split form in under a second?
I only have 30 offensive nodes on a 120 or so point build because increases to my dps have diminishing returns because I already do so much, while getting more ES will prevent me from dying.

>you will pretty much spam ONE ability the entire way to clear stuff(or a leveling ability until you can use it), people think this is fun

the fun part of the game is coming up with broken builds like the one I was using to kill Uber, so you're correct on the gameplay being actually boring
now that I have hundreds of exalts from farming Uber, I don't play much anymore, I just afk and buy shit while reading visual novels

>the autism that is hardcore vs casual playerbase
you also have a point there, but I don't visit poeg
>>
>>333666512
Diablo 3 itself does not.
>>
>>333662734
when are the mods going to delete flagrant lies that are literally untrue?

This isn't even a troll attempt. It's just a lie, with the intention to misinform

I fucking hate dota, but give credit where credit is due. It has a fantastic pay model
>>
>>333662309
>>333662734
samefag
>>
>>333666512
Plenty
Torchlight and Grim Dawn just to name a couple
>>
>>333662734
It really, truly sucks that competitive replays are unwatchable unless you pay for it, and I don't get why people are defending this.

I'm fine with the replays having a delay before they're available to non-buyers, but they really should be made free after a couple of weeks.
>>
Why do so many people say Dota 2 is a loss leader, or that Dota 2's money model is only possible because valve already earns mad bank from steam?

They get tens of millions every year for the TI compendium, the chest and cosmetic system is very healthy, they have an ingame market where thousands of sales on cosmetic items happen every hour, at no cost to valve, but valve gets a cut from every sale, they earn a cut from every tournament ticket sold.
>>
>>333670214
Looks like a fucking baller.

I wouldnt fuck with him.
>>
>>333666356
But that is the dota 2 model you retard the money you pay for tournaments is the tournament model independent from "the game" and is only for tournament organizers to monetize their product.
>>
>>333673202

OP here

Nope! Either way, why would I samefag when there are 97 posts?
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.